search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast

Southeast TX, OK, LA, MS, AL, GA, NC, SC, VA, TN, KY
» Development News | Atlanta | Florida | Miami | Nashville | Orlando | Tampa Bay | Texas

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 21st, 2011, 04:39 AM   #81
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 52594

It looks great swathed in gold and strikes a brilliant note against the darkened towers (which I hope get lit up soon). The Bladerunner effect is best shown in the second npicture posted with the combination of starkly contrasted reflected light and the lighting of the tower in the foreground. The one with the Wells Fargo logo lit up is great and highly complimentary. (we have a Wells Fargo building here that gets lit up completely in green which was a legacy lighting scheme from when that bank was a Norwest Bank. After Wells bought them, they ran a projection of a stagecoach moving on the sides but the old green scheme won out! )

Check out this interchange in Shanghai:

image hosted on flickr

ACTION! by Alonso Reyes, on Flickr

This is what Miami might someday look like!

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post

Last edited by desertpunk; October 21st, 2011 at 04:45 AM.
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 21st, 2011, 06:51 AM   #82
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 18899

Getting there, but not quite! Let's see what the end of this decade looks like. So much is planned. It's just a matter of what makes it and what doesn't, but more skyline is guaranteed. As I've said before, developer interest is off the scale. We have a lot to look forward to down here, and so do all of you on your next visit. We just can't be sure which projects they will be.

image hosted on flickr

DSC_0235 by Quantum2010, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC_0634 by Quantum2010, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC_0242 by Quantum2010, on Flickr
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

QuantumX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2011, 07:22 AM   #83
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
It looks great swathed in gold and strikes a brilliant note against the darkened towers (which I hope get lit up soon). The Bladerunner effect is best shown in the second npicture posted with the combination of starkly contrasted reflected light and the lighting of the tower in the foreground.
You mean this one, DP? Yeah, It does have that Blade Runner feel to it, like when he's flying through the city in that futuristic police car. The movie is set in 2019, and Miami is going to end up looking more like that movie in 2019 than Los Angeles itself, which is the setting of the movie. The article excerpt I've posted beneath this picture gives you an idea of what the atmosphere is like down here - again! Looks its going to be too much at one time again with developers racing to get their projects on the market before the music stops again. It's crazy! Really insane! The other photos I took from Biscayne Boulevard just last night.

image hosted on flickr

DSC_0735 by QuantumX, on Flickr

By TOLUSE OLORUNNIPA

[email protected]

Miami’s first new condo high-rise since the housing bust is set to begin construction next spring, developer Newgard Development Group announced Monday.

Called Brickell House, the $170 million project is part of a new wave of condo towers planned for downtown Miami, which saw development grind to a halt after the building frenzy that lasted from 2003 to 2008.

“Almost all of the [outstanding] inventory that we had has been absorbed in the last 18 months,” said Harvey Hernandez, managing partner and chairman of Newgard Group. “It could not be a better moment for us to launch a project.”

The 46-story tower is slated to have 374 residences, ranging from one bedrooms to penthouses. Specs include a rooftop sky deck, pool on the 46th floor and an automated robotic parking garage.

Buyers in large part will be charged with paying for the construction of the glossy tower under a financing model that will require purchasers to pay 70 percent of the asking price before construction is completed. That financing model — which is also being used for new condos recently pitched by Related Group — is more common in Latin America, where Brickell House will be heavily marketed. Prices start around $200,000.

“Let’s be realistic. The majority of buyers in Miami come from outside of the country,” Hernandez said. “Our buyers here, nobody has 70 percent. Nobody can afford that.”

Hernandez said he believes the housing market will have substantially rebounded by the time the project opens, with strong international demand and a more vibrant downtown.

Peter Zalewski, of Bal Harbour-based CondoVultures, said he’s not so sure. He said sales of new downtown condos have begun to slow down, and supply is set to increase dramatically as a slew of new projects begins to come online.

“There are too many [projects] that are suddenly all popping up at the same time,” he said. “At least from a promotional perspective, it’s starting to look like 2005 and 2006 again.”

image hosted on flickr

DSC_1312 by QuantumX, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC_1321 by QuantumX, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC_1305 by QuantumX, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC_1296 by QuantumX, on Flickr
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

Last edited by QuantumX; October 23rd, 2011 at 11:10 AM.
Old October 21st, 2011, 07:36 AM   #84
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Brickell House is classic Miami! Already you got the tallest residential tower going up outside of Dallas!

Even if they didn't light up the towers, if they just lit up all the crowns like that last picture it would be stunning. Crowns plus the towers' sides? Otherworldly!

Check this out:
Quote:
Record Miami condo activity fuels Florida's rebounding home sales market
October 20, 2011 04:30PM

From the South Florida website: Florida sales activity jumped 10 percent in September for both condominiums and single-family homes compared to the same month a year ago, according to a National Association of Realtors report released today, thanks largely to huge increases in South Florida sales volume. The condo market in the Miami area showed the greatest strength of any market in the state, as prices are on the rise and activity is at a record pace. The median price of a condo in Miami spiked 17 percent since last September, while activity rose 58 percent, bringing the 2011 sales pace to 29,000 transactions. According to the Miami Association of Realtors that would surpass the record set in 2005, even if prices are lower today. Miami single-family homes also performed well, as sales volume increased 46 percent year-over-year, although the median price dropped some 6 percent to $131,000

http://therealdeal.com/newyork/artic...s-report-shows

Old October 21st, 2011, 08:18 AM   #85
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

DP, it's crazy down here! It's absolutely insane! These people have lost their minds! Oh, well! Let's see what we get before the music stops again!

My photo threads:

Old October 21st, 2011, 10:13 AM   #86
jonathaninATX

Likes (Received): 2319

Awesome..glad to see Miami getting back into the building boom.

jonathaninATX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2011, 11:45 PM   #87
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Austin

Old October 22nd, 2011, 11:46 PM   #88
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathaninATX View Post
Awesome..glad to see Miami getting back into the building boom.
Miami and Austin. Doing us all proud!

Old October 23rd, 2011, 12:21 AM   #89
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Miami and Austin. Doing us all proud!
Every southern city in its own time. No doubt Houston and Atlanta will catch fire again as will some other southern city. Miami is just too far south and not as centrally located to the rest of the U.S. to become more of a corporate entity than some of the other southern cities along with our port. It's not the lack of education of the local population. How many other people move to other cities to find jobs? It's just that we are closer to the Caribbean than the rest of the U.S. We will have a more diverse and stable economy in the future that is not as subject to the ups and downs of the real estate market or the tourism industry when we have a hurricane threatening. The Miami skyline itself has now become an adverstisement for opportunity around the world, but down here, the predominant industries are always going to be tourism and real estate. That's just the way it is!

My photo threads:

Old October 23rd, 2011, 03:06 AM   #90
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Well said!

Raleigh

http://images.raleighskyline.com/201...ne_at_sunrise/

Old October 23rd, 2011, 11:50 AM   #91
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:

Well said!
Strangely enough DP, I hadn't thought about it before, but why in the hell would an American corporation want to move a company way the hell down here. Somebody on SSP argued that it was because of the lack of education of the local population. Hey, like I said. How much of the population of any major city are natives anyway. All things considered, I don't think a more educated local population would make much of a difference anyway with regard to Miami having more of an American corporate presence simply because we're practically in the tropics. I thank God for every cold front that makes it this far south.

Just like for instance, even though the Port of Miami is known as the Cargo Gateway of the Americas, Houston is always going to handle more tonnage because it's more centrally located to the rest of the United States. Anything coming into the United States through the Port of Miami has to travel the length of Florida first or cross the Gulf of Mexico before it gets to the rest of the United States.

The other southern cities, Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, and Charlotte are always going to be more corporate powerhouses than Miami. Banco Santander of Spain putting a new tallest here, that will be its international headquarters, makes sense because Miami is becoming more of a global city and that is more the kind of corporate presence that we are likely to have - international. We will never have as strong an American corporate presence as the rest of the southern cities because we are practically in another country anyway. With our climate and beaches, tourism and real estate are always going to be the major industries down here. Like I've before said, it's just the nature of the beast. It is what it is.

My photo threads:

Old October 23rd, 2011, 06:49 PM   #92
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

American businesses are only just beginning to appreciate and/or understand the fast-growing hispanic market. They're coming around to the conclusion that possibly the only way to grow their lines in a mature marketplace is to refocus on hispanic buyers and develop products and services that hispanic consumers want. That has a natural feed-through to Miami and the Latin American markets. Suddenly cities like Miami, Houston, San Antonio and El Paso become pivotal since what appeals to hispanics here can be marketed down south. So while corporations may not relocate their headquarters to the far southern tier, they may establish unit headquarters to facilitate all that growth. Banks were onto the scene a long time ago, choosing Miami's Stable, American base for operations in turbulent economies in Latin America. Another big draw are direct flights. That's why so many major corporations locate near major airports.

Old October 23rd, 2011, 08:19 PM   #93
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:

American businesses are only just beginning to appreciate and/or understand the fast-growing hispanic market. They're coming around to the conclusion that possibly the only way to grow their lines in a mature marketplace is to refocus on hispanic buyers and develop products and services that hispanic consumers want.
And when somebody says that Miami's lack of a corporate presence is because its local popluation lacks the education to attract corporations, that reeks of racism to me or at least xenophobia. I don't buy it. Tell me that it has been because of local government corruption, Latin or otherwise, I'll accept that. Now that we've cleaned that up a bit, maybe we will have a more stable and diverse economy in the future not as dependent upon tourism and the fickle real estate market for all the reasons you've just said above and more.

My photo threads:

Old October 26th, 2011, 02:44 AM   #94
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Charlotte

image hosted on flickr

Charlotte, NC by Mike Snyder Photography, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

The Queen City by Mike Snyder Photography, on Flickr

Old October 26th, 2011, 12:14 PM   #95
FLAWDA-FELLA
Native Flaw-ridian

Likes (Received): 1335

By far, one of the best night shots that I have ever seen!!

FLAWDA-FELLA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2011, 10:34 PM   #96
kingchef

Likes (Received): 4

my favorite is post #82, 1st photo, although i really like the one where the light changes to a purple color under segments of the bridge. these are nice photos, and i enjoyed seeing them.
kingchef no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2011, 05:25 PM   #98
FLAWDA-FELLA
Native Flaw-ridian

Nice skyline shot of the ATL for today's banner!

Old November 4th, 2011, 11:49 PM   #99
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Here's the original:

image hosted on flickr

Atlanta Skyline (Downtown and Midtown) by prashkan, on Flickr

When Atlanta gets cookin' again and the skyline fills in, eat your heart out Chicago!

Old November 5th, 2011, 12:34 AM   #100
FLAWDA-FELLA
Native Flaw-ridian

From that angle, it almost seems to be 3 distinct skylines.

Tags
atlanta, augusta, birmingham, charleston, charlotte, columbia, columbus, durham, jackson, jacksonville, knoxville, lexington, little rock, louisville, memphis, mobile, nashville, new orleans, norfolk, oklahoma city, raleigh, richmond, southeast skylines, tulsa, virginia beach