search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast

Southeast TX, OK, LA, MS, AL, GA, NC, SC, VA, TN, KY
» Development News | Atlanta | Florida | Miami | Nashville | Orlando | Tampa Bay | Texas

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 27th, 2015, 08:45 PM   #61
JRQ
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Likes (Received): 222

I can say from my 12 years on this forum and from living in Richmond for the past 5 years, the city is flourishing and people are noticing. Although we may not have the high growth rate of Charlotte or Austin, and we may have a cumbersome independent city policy that makes things far more difficult than other cities, Richmond is very much on the rise (figuratively and literally).

You have the 120 million Gateway Plaza-

http://gatewayplazarichmond.com/wp-c...%20590x738.jpg

The VCU Children's Pavillion-

http://www.chrichmond.org/Images/Sit...trendering.jpg

VCU Center for Contemporary Art

http://ica.vcu.edu/files/2011/11/ica-crop-1024x661.jpg

Then you have language posed by Dominion of providing Richmond with a signature tower. This could become a huge development.

One of the things Richmond has that is far better than most (conjecture, I know... but for it's size, you have to agree) is density. Richmond has an incredibly dense skyline and these midsize towers are only adding to it further. Then you have the continued improvements across the city in preparation for the bike race, you have new apartments popping up everywhere, possible new ballpark (who knows), etc etc etc. Our population may not be exploding, but we're growing.... from 204,000 in 2010 to 214,000 in 2013. That's packed in to 59 square miles without the opportunity to expand rapidly like other cities have in the past.

The biggest difference, in my opinion, is from the people. They are absolutely proud of Richmond, proud to talk about all of the accomplishments and goals for the city. That's an intrinsic pride that I haven't seen in my decade or so in dealing with RVA. I love it.

-Fairfax County-1,137,000
--Virginia Beach-448,000
---Norfolk-246,000
----Chesapeake-230,000
-----Richmond-214,000
------Arlington-208,000
-------Newport News-182,000
--------Alexandria-149,000
---------Hampton-136,000
----------Roanoke-98,000
-----------Portsmouth-96,000

Oaktowntwinz, eandslee, lancetop liked this post

Last edited by JRQ; May 27th, 2015 at 08:56 PM.
JRQ no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 28th, 2015, 04:41 AM   #62
VTinPhilly

Likes (Received): 24

Richmond is one city that is NOT going to undergo a transformation in cityscape, population and overall feel anytime soon, and IMO, that is a good thing. Richmond is a mature city--an old city with its founding going all the way back to 1737. Much of Richmond is taken up with some of the most beautiful and historic neighborhoods in the country--Church Hill, The Fan District, Capitol Hill, Shockoe, Windsor Farms, the River Road/Riverside Drive areas, etc. Many cities in America would love to have neighborhoods with the "overall feel" that these neighborhoods have.

The transformation I would like to see for Richmond is the restoration of its downtown commercial core (the area generally along Broad and Grace Streets between 2nd and 9th Streets. At one time, this retail core was arguably the finest in the South--great department stores, theaters, and restaurants. Today most of that is gone--moved to the suburbs where the population growth has been. Since people no longer drive downtown to shop, what Richmond needs today IMO is a major increase in its downtown residential population. Some of that is happening now through conversion of old hotels/office bldgs. into apartments but much more needs to be done in order to provide a population large enough to support new shops, restaurants and cinemas.

Richmond is a wealthy and important city--home to the 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals; the 5th Federal Reserve Bank District and six Fortune 500 companies. This city can achieve anything it sets it mind to--IF there is the will and leadership to get things done. The question is, does Richmond want much more than it already has? Perhaps not. The city has been called "a hotbed of social rest" apparently because Richmonders love their city just the way it is!

Oaktowntwinz, gwiATLeman, lancetop liked this post
VTinPhilly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2015, 04:46 AM   #63
eandslee

Likes (Received): 17

Thanks for highlighting these Richmond developments JRQ! Don't forget the Manchester highrise development and the prospect of Reynolds South, also in Manchester. Additionally, there are a myriad of rehab projects going on downtown. Richmond is doing VERY well indeed!
eandslee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2015, 05:58 PM   #64
krazeeboi

Likes (Received): 85

I think Richmond is a wonderfully-balanced city and is very underrated; it has a large corporate base for its size, great natural amenities and recreational opportunities, steady and sustainable growth, awesome historic neighborhoods, a relatively dense urban fabric, and an affordable COL. Frankly I'm surprised it's taken this long to be "rediscovered," especially as the sprawl from the southern end of the Bos-Wash corridor continues to snake down I-95.

eandslee, lancetop liked this post
krazeeboi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2015, 11:00 PM   #65
TimCity
Burming Hammer

Likes (Received): 11

Never realized until now how similar in size Birmingham and Richmond are.

City populations are nearly identical, metro populations are within 100K, tallest building in each is around 450'...
TimCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2015, 04:47 AM   #66
CLTNC

Likes (Received): 385

Atlanta, Miami, and Charlotte will the leaders in growth in the southeast because they have the 3 biggest airports in the southeast. It is hard to get large growth today with out a major airport. We are in a international economy today.

A lot of growth in Charlotte today is from international companies. I am sure the same goes for Atlanta and Miami.
CLTNC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2015, 05:49 AM   #67
miami305

Location: Today: Miami, Florida..moving back to Europe (Paris) in the future.
Likes (Received): 964

I was going to say Miami, FL but really this isn't a sunbelt city...so never mind.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
miami305 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2015, 08:44 PM   #68
Quadrilateral

Likes (Received): 18

The rate of development in Charlotte is insane. It already has transformed, and it will continue to do so.

Much as I wish I could nominate my own city of Raleigh, I don't see anything utterly transformative coming down the pipeline, just a continued rapid increase in density and downtown residential and retail. The improvements that have occurred are respectable, and once everything that's proposed is built the size of the contiguous walkable environment in its core will be impressive. But in terms of change, it just isn't the same rate that things have been happening in Charlotte and Austin.
Quadrilateral no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2015, 04:31 PM   #69
krazeeboi

Likes (Received): 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami305 View Post
I was going to say Miami, FL but really this isn't a sunbelt city...so never mind.
How is Miami NOT a Sunbelt city???

lancetop liked this post
krazeeboi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2015, 06:05 PM   #70
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 1467

Richmond looks bigger than it is already.

If it could just get a few big modern towers in some of the "bald spots" on the east, less historic end of the central city, it would maximize that.

Of course as others have said, the best scenario is for more downtown population and focus on an urbanistic, street level improvement.

After I'm gone, your earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence, as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

Bring me the continuum transfunctioner...

zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2015, 12:07 AM   #71
Ejvid04

Likes (Received): 3

devmap

Hey everyone,

So after reading the posts I'd like to point out that while most of you are right in many ways, I tend to look at the sheer amount of construction going on in each city, while smaller cities might get impacted more by a high rise or 2.. I'd like to point out that Miami, Atlanta, Charlotte are the major cities. While they all have gone through significant change... the most impressive (to me) that stands out is Atlanta. But thats based off of future projects.

use devmap.io and view each cities projects.

I would like everyone to view a map of the current projects going on in each city. Sure, alot of the information needs to be updated.
Ejvid04 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2015, 01:17 AM   #72
Hia-leah JDM

Likes (Received): 11046

Old June 26th, 2015, 02:32 AM   #73
lancetop

Likes (Received): 168

Has Atlanta ever stopped transforming itself?

lancetop no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2015, 05:43 AM   #74
Ejvid04

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancetop View Post
Has Atlanta ever stopped transforming itself?
for sure. I mean Miami is CLEARLY a larger and more developed city. Atlanta is finally showing some MEAN growth the past few years as far as urban development. Midtown is has just hit it big, with 8 towers under construction this year and more to come next year... considering the majority of ATL was nothing but parking lots... yeah, it's a drastic change.

Miami though... it's in another class level.

Last edited by Ejvid04; June 26th, 2015 at 05:57 AM.
Ejvid04 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2015, 10:32 AM   #75
Hia-leah JDM

Likes (Received): 11046

Miami isn't really bigger than Atlanta in any way. Both cities, like most in the country only started investing in their core in the last 10 years. Miami's transformation has just been THAT much bigger and impressive - thanks in large part to it's location.

Most of today's vibrant neighborhoods were abandoned warehouses and a sea of parking lots less than a decade ago. The transformation only really kicked off around 2007 and we're just now in the beginning of all that potential.

Downtown (and surrounding 'hoods) used to be the area tourist and locals passed by on their way to the beach from the airport. Now it's really become the heart of the city and we're still just in the early stages of the second round of this boom.

ChuckScraperMiami#1, lancetop liked this post
Hia-leah JDM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2015, 09:08 PM   #76
WeimieLvr
Love me, love my dog...

Likes (Received): 412

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami305 View Post
Miami is a quintessential sunbelt city.

lancetop liked this post
WeimieLvr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2015, 09:13 PM   #77
WeimieLvr
Love me, love my dog...

Likes (Received): 412

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hia-leah JDM View Post
Miami isn't really bigger than Atlanta in any way. Both cities, like most in the country only started investing in their core in the last 10 years. Miami's transformation has just been THAT much bigger and impressive - thanks in large part to it's location.

Most of today's vibrant neighborhoods were abandoned warehouses and a sea of parking lots less than a decade ago. The transformation only really kicked off around 2007 and we're just now in the beginning of all that potential.

Downtown (and surrounding 'hoods) used to be the area tourist and locals passed by on their way to the beach from the airport. Now it's really become the heart of the city and we're still just in the early stages of the second round of this boom.

Atlanta's investment in its core actually started more like 20-25 years ago with the announcement that it had won the Olympics. Downtown saw a flurry of development like it hadn't seen in decades. Underground was reborn; an entire dilapidated warehouse area was turned into Centennial Olympic Park; several of Atlanta's tallest were built; new arenas were approved; streetscapes were cleaned up; and a long list of projects ensued. This didn't really stop until the crash - around 2006/2007 - but it picked up a couple of years back and we are again seeing massive development in Midtown/downtown and in many of the surrounding neighborhoods.
WeimieLvr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2015, 05:13 PM   #78
jam5

Likes (Received): 474

Charleston, South Carolina. And to some extent, Savannah as well.
jam5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2015, 05:38 AM   #79
lancetop

Likes (Received): 168

Speaking of transformative SE cities, I'm glad no one has nominated Jacksonville.

Astonishingly, candidates for mayor of Jacksonville are agitating for an end to Jacksonville's elevated people-mover system!

I lived in Jacksonville when the Skyway was developed...and it was a huge deal. And to think there are now city "leaders" that want to demolish one of the FEW things good about Jacksonville!

The Jacksonville Skyway needs to be expanded--- not demolished! This is a perfect example of why Jacksonville will NEVER evolve into anything further than what it already is.

lancetop no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2015, 01:19 PM   #80
FLAWDA-FELLA
Native Flaw-ridian

Likes (Received): 1338

"Never" is such a strong word, but I do understand your viewpoint as far as the city being stagnant when it comes to investing wisely with regard to public transit such as the Skyway. Imo, Jax has the potential to be transformed into a great Sunbelt City like other cities that have been previously mentioned, however its leaders have failed to realize this fact time and time again.