search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast

Southeast TX, OK, LA, MS, AL, GA, NC, SC, VA, TN, KY
» Development News | Atlanta | Florida | Miami | Nashville | Orlando | Tampa Bay | Texas

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 29th, 2015, 11:13 PM   #81
lancetop

Likes (Received): 168

I've seen as few videos on youtube showcasing Jacksonville's Skyway. I moved away before the system was expanded across the river....and it looks absolutely wonderful!

It needs to be expanded to 5-Points (in Riverside) and San Marco's shopping district. Then down the line, it should go all the way down San Jose Blvd.

I simply can't believe anyone would want to demolish such a visionary thing. such a positive thing.
lancetop no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 1st, 2015, 07:33 AM   #82
WeimieLvr
Love me, love my dog...

Likes (Received): 412

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancetop View Post
I've seen as few videos on youtube showcasing Jacksonville's Skyway. I moved away before the system was expanded across the river....and it looks absolutely wonderful!

It needs to be expanded to 5-Points (in Riverside) and San Marco's shopping district. Then down the line, it should go all the way down San Jose Blvd.

I simply can't believe anyone would want to demolish such a visionary thing. such a positive thing.
I've been to J'ville a couple of times...didn't even know it existed. I agree, it should be expanded to make it more useful rather than demolished. How foolish that would be.

Last edited by WeimieLvr; July 11th, 2015 at 02:43 AM.
WeimieLvr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2015, 11:34 AM   #83
Bobdreamz

Likes (Received): 2766

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAWDA-FELLA View Post
"Never" is such a strong word, but I do understand your viewpoint as far as the city being stagnant when it comes to investing wisely with regard to public transit such as the Skyway. Imo, Jax has the potential to be transformed into a great Sunbelt City like other cities that have been previously mentioned, however its leaders have failed to realize this fact time and time again.
Jacksonville used to be Florida's premier business city in the 1950's & 1960's and then they gutted their downtown through urban renewal but nothing was revitalized and it's downtown core is a mere shell of it's former self. It's quite sad actually.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Bobdreamz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2015, 09:14 PM   #84
lancetop

This youtube video showcases Jacksonville's Skyway system. Wouldn't y'all agree that most large American cities would die to have such a marvelous system?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqz-lCcNBQU
Old July 6th, 2015, 03:50 AM   #85
Shawn

Likes (Received): 51

Quote:
This youtube video showcases Jacksonville's Skyway system. Wouldn't y'all agree that most large American cities would die to have such a marvelous system?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqz-lCcNBQU
I apologize if you said this sarcastically, it's hard to pick up on.

But if you meant this seriously, I would say that most large American cities already have systems far superior to this.
Shawn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2015, 09:13 PM   #86
lancetop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
I apologize if you said this sarcastically, it's hard to pick up on.

But if you meant this seriously, I would say that most large American cities already have systems far superior to this.
Nah, I was being serious.

I've lived in the Seattle area (Puget Sound region) for 20 years now. The citizens have voted 2-3 times in favor of expanding Seattle's 1960s monorail since I've lived here.

The govt in Seattle/Washington State can't make it happen.

Seattle, a world class city, doesn't even have anything remotely as wonderful as Jacksonville's Skyway. All Seattle has is buses (besides a new monorail to Tacoma/the airport) and taxis.

In fact, I could compile an impressive list of large cities that would die to have Jacksonville's system. Seattle would certainly die to have it.
Old July 9th, 2015, 05:29 AM   #87
Shawn

Likes (Received): 51

Quote:

I've lived in the Seattle area (Puget Sound region) for 20 years now. The citizens have voted 2-3 times in favor of expanding Seattle's 1960s monorail since I've lived here.

Seattle, a world class city, doesn't even have anything remotely as wonderful as Jacksonville's Skyway. All Seattle has is buses (besides a new monorail to Tacoma/the airport) and taxis.

In fact, I could compile an impressive list of large cities that would die to have Jacksonville's system. Seattle would certainly die to have it.
I don't want to hijack this thread, but just to expand a bit . . .

I imagine most civic leaders in Seattle, or any city of Seattle's tier or above, would view Jacksonville's Skyway as a stop-gap solution at best. And here's why: people movers simply cannot handle actual ridership demand. The Jacksonville Skyway uses a two-car setup, and each car can hold 40 people.

So let's pretend that the Skyway runs 24 hours a day at constant 5 minute intervals (something NYC and Tokyo don't even do). That's 20 trains an hour, or 480 trains in 24 hours. 480 x 80 people = 38,400 max capacity in a 24 hour period. Those type of ridership numbers aren't going to alleviate vehicle traffic or likely even cover operational costs.

Points of comparison, daily ridership numbers for transit lines among Seattle peers and aspirationals:

Atlanta's MARTA (system-wide): 232,100
Boston's Green Line-only: 223,000
San Diego's Trolley: 119,800
Portland's MAX: 113,900
Denver's RTD: 86,300
Phoenix's METRO: 44,800

Seattle is far more transit-oriented than Phoenix - baselining against METRO would be setting the bar pretty low, but even METRO moves more people per day than Jacksonville's Skyway could theoretically max out at.
Shawn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2015, 02:42 AM   #88
WeimieLvr
Love me, love my dog...

Quote:

Doesn't Seattle have a light rail system that started up in the mid-2000s? I know it's not much, but it's more than just the 60s monorail and it's like 17 miles with many stations compared to J'ville's 2 miles and a handful of stations.
Old July 14th, 2015, 10:21 PM   #89
lancetop

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeimieLvr View Post
Doesn't Seattle have a light rail system that started up in the mid-2000s? I know it's not much, but it's more than just the 60s monorail and it's like 17 miles with many stations compared to J'ville's 2 miles and a handful of stations.
I believe Seattle has a train from the airport to Downtown...perhaps to Tacoma as well (?)

An expanded Seattle monorail could probably shoot passengers from Downtown up to Capitol Hill (Seattle's most populous neighborhood) in 15 minutes...while a bus ride is easily 35 minutes, or more.

The simple truth is that the people of Seattle support an expanded monorail, and have voted yes a couple times (when it came up to public vote) But the powers that be simply can't find a politically acceptable means to finance it.

I still think if Jacksonville would expand the Skyway down San Jose Blvd, it would be a smashing success. That's where so many Downtown workers live.
Old July 25th, 2015, 06:18 AM   #90
WeimieLvr
Love me, love my dog...

Quote:
I believe Seattle has a train from the airport to Downtown...perhaps to Tacoma as well (?)

An expanded Seattle monorail could probably shoot passengers from Downtown up to Capitol Hill (Seattle's most populous neighborhood) in 15 minutes...while a bus ride is easily 35 minutes, or more.

The simple truth is that the people of Seattle support an expanded monorail, and have voted yes a couple times (when it came up to public vote) But the powers that be simply can't find a politically acceptable means to finance it.

I still think if Jacksonville would expand the Skyway down San Jose Blvd, it would be a smashing success. That's where so many Downtown workers live.
I guess my point is that Seattle's Link Light Rail System (17.3 miles/18 stations) is already much larger than Jacksonville's Skyway (2.5/8 stations). Or maybe you were just comparing the monorail systems in each city?

Jacksonville Skyway is almost identical in size to Atlanta's Plane Train people mover at the airport, which is 2.8 miles/8 stations. Are people movers and monorails the same? Skyway is listed as both, where Link is listed as monorail and Plane Train is listed as people mover.

Detroit and Miami have downtown systems similar in size to Skyway too.
Old July 25th, 2015, 06:57 PM   #91
miami305

Location: Today: Miami, Florida..moving back to Europe (Paris) in the future.
Likes (Received): 964

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTNC View Post
Atlanta, Miami, and Charlotte will the leaders in growth in the southeast because they have the 3 biggest airports in the southeast. It is hard to get large growth today with out a major airport. We are in a international economy today.

A lot of growth in Charlotte today is from international companies. I am sure the same goes for Atlanta and Miami.
It sure does....The Miami Metropolitan Area has two International Airports 1) MIA 2) Ft. Lauderdale/Hollywood Int'l Airport.
miami305 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2015, 10:42 PM   #92
GeorgiaPeanuts

Likes (Received): 101

A lot of German software companies have been opening offices in the ATL, some even putting their North American HQ here such as RIB software http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/b...-american.html

Without the ATL airport I doubt we would be able to get those kind of relocations.
GeorgiaPeanuts no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2015, 05:32 AM   #93
Lakelander

Likes (Received): 1245

Quote:
Speaking of transformative SE cities, I'm glad no one has nominated Jacksonville.

Astonishingly, candidates for mayor of Jacksonville are agitating for an end to Jacksonville's elevated people-mover system!

I lived in Jacksonville when the Skyway was developed...and it was a huge deal. And to think there are now city "leaders" that want to demolish one of the FEW things good about Jacksonville!

The Jacksonville Skyway needs to be expanded--- not demolished! This is a perfect example of why Jacksonville will NEVER evolve into anything further than what it already is.
No mayoral candidate was talking about demolishing the system. There is talk of seeing if it's worth overhauling it. There's no reason to spend money expanding it because it wouldn't be able to handle large crowds anyway. Personally, I'd like to see the monorail technology replaced with a modern streetcar or LRT when the time comes. We can still use the elevated structure in downtown but going with something more common, that can also operate at-grade, will allow for cheaper expansion and long term maintenance.
Old August 13th, 2015, 05:40 AM   #94
Lakelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Jacksonville used to be Florida's premier business city in the 1950's & 1960's and then they gutted their downtown through urban renewal but nothing was revitalized and it's downtown core is a mere shell of it's former self. It's quite sad actually.
In reality, Jax was never significantly larger than Tampa or Miami. Jax was surpassed by South Florida in the 1930s. Up until the 1980s, it was still Florida's primary financial and industrial center. However, the slew of banking and insurance mergers that made places like Charlotte boomtowns, put a hurting on DT Jax. Within a 10 to 15 year period, big home grown companies based in DT Jax like Independent Life, Gulf Life, Barnett Bank, Florida National Bank, The Charter Company, etc. were all gone. Other regional financial centers like Birmingham also suffered from mergers taking their big companies away. Despite the setback, outside of South Florida, it still is Florida's premier business city despite the MSAs of Tampa and Orlando being twice as large.
Old August 13th, 2015, 05:44 AM   #95
Lakelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami305 View Post
It sure does....The Miami Metropolitan Area has two International Airports 1) MIA 2) Ft. Lauderdale/Hollywood Int'l Airport.
Three. West Palm Beach is also a part of the MSA. Strangely enough, all of Florida's four largest metropolitan areas have at least two airports with commercial flights.
Old December 24th, 2015, 10:56 AM   #96
Tampa on the move.

Likes (Received): 85

Tampa belongs in this talk. You can't ignore the 12th largest TV and Radio market. Skyline that will have 7-8 buildings rising. Tampa's county alone will approach 1.8 million by the 2020's. Still hosting more Superbowl 2017 College Championship. West shore District has more office space than Downtown Charlotte. Ybor City better urban centers. Cuisine tremendous. And that is not even counting St Petersburg and Clearwater gulf of Mexico beaches.
52 Riverwalk Tower
36 AER. Straz Residences
23 Grant Block
2---20 stories on Harbour Island
4--20 stories in the Channelside ---Amalie Arena districts.

Vision. 2----twin 75 stories on the Port Authority land.

And Atlanta and Charlotte talk to me when u get your own forum. Lol
Tampa on the move. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2015, 03:20 PM   #97
ah59396

Likes (Received): 159

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa on the move. View Post
Tampa belongs in this talk. You can't ignore the 12th largest TV and Radio market. Skyline that will have 7-8 buildings rising. Tampa's county alone will approach 1.8 million by the 2020's. Still hosting more Superbowl 2017 College Championship. West shore District has more office space than Downtown Charlotte. Ybor City better urban centers. Cuisine tremendous. And that is not even counting St Petersburg and Clearwater gulf of Mexico beaches.
52 Riverwalk Tower
36 AER. Straz Residences
23 Grant Block

We do. It's on urban planet...

With over 130,000 posts and 230+ members. We do alright. Lol.
ah59396 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2015, 03:26 PM   #98
Dale

Likes (Received): 5433

Quote:
52 Riverwalk Tower
36 AER. Straz Residences
23 Grant Block

Big talk for a city that has yet to see its downtown boom.
Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2015, 08:08 PM   #99
Tampa on the move.

Likes (Received): 85

Dale the boom is coming in 2016.. Also Charlotte is one big cluster ****. Nascar mentality
Pretentious stuck up city. You can have it I'll just stay in the 3rd biggest state. Where Miami- Tampa
- and Orlando rule. Nuff said.
Tampa on the move. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2015, 08:10 PM   #100
Dale

Likes (Received): 5433

Quote:
Dale the boom is coming in 2016.. Also Charlotte is one big cluster ****. Nascar mentality
Pretentious stuck up city. You can have it I'll just stay in the 3rd biggest state. Where Miami- Tampa
- and Orlando rule. Nuff said.
Since you started it, Charlotte is not pretentious. It just knows it's superior to Charlotte. Hell, you're probably the only Tampan who doesn't know this.

On a sidenote: I'm pulling for Tampa. But it's got a long way to go to rate being mentioned in the same breath as Charlotte. It is what it is.
Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote