search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast

Southeast TX, OK, LA, MS, AL, GA, NC, SC, VA, TN, KY
» Development News | Atlanta | Florida | Miami | Nashville | Orlando | Tampa Bay | Texas

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 16th, 2006, 11:59 PM   #81
Soulbrotha
abdulsharifshoots.com

Likes (Received): 41

well.....

Riverparkplace (planned)
the first phase will include up to 350 units in six four- to 14-story structures, most of which will be built atop a platform to escape flooding, along with a large marina and extensive pathways, piers and park space.

Arena Hotel

Museum Plaza of course
Soulbrotha no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 17th, 2006, 12:15 AM   #82
Soulbrotha
abdulsharifshoots.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by scraperboy
Well, I still would like to know how Museum Plaza will ruin Louisville, lol. Just curious why people think that. So let me phrase this question...if Museum Plaza looked like Sig Tower (or any other more mainstream condo bldg) on the outside but still had the same height and amenities, would it be better? I mean, can anyone seriously name a building anywhere with all the amenties and mixed use of Museum Plaza that even has major public components (I can guarantee you none of us will ever see the 60th floor of Sig Tower!)

yes, and there is only so much you can do in a Straight Verticle Skyscraper. The reason MP has so many legs and so many independent parts is because of all the uses it will have. There will be a section for Retail, a section for the museum, a section for the condos, a section for the hotel, a section for the masters of fine arts program, a so on...Thats apposed to a a straight verticle building in which those indivdual sections would be confinded to a few floors.
Old May 17th, 2006, 12:41 AM   #83
Cardpooch

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by scraperboy
.....(I can guarantee you none of us will ever see the 60th floor of Sig Tower!)
Well most of us will probably never see the 60th floor of Museum Plaza either but I understand what you are saying. Of course, Museum Plaza will have a public area on the 25th floor while there is really no reason to venture inside Signature Tower unless you are staying at the hotel.

To answer your other question, no I don't think Signature Tower would look good at the Museum Plaza site. From an architectural standpoint Signature's main point of interest is the crown, therefore it is pointless to place it in an area where it would stick out like a sore thumb. Hello, BOA in Atlanta. Ideally, a building like this should be placed in an area where new structures can fill in around it to create the stair step illusion leading to the crown. Louisville's waterfront/freeway area does not provide the proper location for this.

Museum Plaza, on the other hand, is different in that it needs space. Each section of this building (the top, middle, and bottom) are equally important in creating the impact this building will have downtown. And it will be one hell of an impact. It's a building that will look very different depending on the angle and distance from which it is viewed. Therefore, it would not make sense to place this building in the middle of a skyline where nearby towers would block the view.

In this instance I think both buildings are in great locations in their repsective cities.

As far as best skyline...that depends.

Signature Tower will give Nashville a perfect postcard view from virtually any location. The centralized location of the tower will give the city a huge lift when approaching downtown from any Interstate. This was always a problem with Bellsouth because it was placed lower than the rest of downtown and off to one side. It diminished the height and made the rest of the skyline look flat. Very few peaks and valleys.

If this building does become the tallest in the Southeast, I doubt it will hold that title for long. Regardless, it is still a great design that will work wonders to promote Nashville as a progressive city. It will become one of those skylines that is impossible to catch at a bad angle.

Museum Plaza is different. It will be a knockout approaching on I-64 from the West. In fact probably the most impressive skyline approach of the three cities. The river to the left, the massive tower nearly touching the Interstate and the older dense urbanity stretching off to the right.

From the other interstates, Museum Plaza will be less intrusive. From I-65 South it will just hover in the distance at the edge of downtown. From Indiana, it will be an abrupt WTF moment? From these other angles it won't have the same perfect placement as Signature. It will appear too big from some angles, too small from others, too far away, even awkward at times.

Then again....that was the whole point.

This is a building that will house contemporary art and most of this art was never intended to be beautiful in a traditional sense. Instead, much of this art is created to provoke a response. In this case, the building reflects it's purpose. Is it an abandoned oil rig resting on the river or a towering mess of lego blocks hovering over the historical facades on Main Street?

Who knows? That's part of the fun and Museum Plaza provides only the latest example in Louisville's long line of ecclectic highrises that need to be carefully 'studied' in order to truly appreciate them. Louisville has always been the type of town best experienced from the sidewalk not the automobile and the city's skyscrapers are no exception. It is in this area that Museum Plaza trumps Signature's 'perfect' looks and location.

So which skyline is better? After all of this rambling, I still don't know and don't really care because both cities are getting amazing buildings.

BTW, i haven't been to Jacksonville in 10 years so I really can't comment on that skyline. Although I will say that it will probably have the largest skyline (not necessarily in height) in the coming years. Of course, that still doesn't mean it's necessarily better.

Last edited by Cardpooch; May 17th, 2006 at 12:46 AM.
Cardpooch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2006, 12:54 AM   #84
Lakelander

Likes (Received): 1251

Downtown Jacksonville
The tallest proposed will be around 700', which is below those in Nashville & Louisville. We also don't have many "signature towers" proposed. Nevertheless, I'm sure the city makes up for it, in shear number of projects proposed, approved and under construction.

Under Construction (New Construction)

1. The Peninsula - 38 stories (437ft)
2. The Strand - 28 stories
3. San Marco Place - 21 stories
4. Riverside Partners - 13 stories

Under Reconstruction (adaptive reuse)

5. The Barnett - 18 stories
6. Greenleaf & Crosby - 12 stories
7. Florida Life Building - 11 stories
8. Bisbee Building - 10 stories

approved, in Permitting (breaking ground this year)

9. Berkman II - 23 stories
10. The St. John - 51 stories (582ft)

approved

11. The Vu - 40 stories
12. River Watch - 33 stories

proposed

13. The St. John Hotel & Residences - 68 stories
14. Old JEA Headquarters addition - 31 stories
15. Residences of Bishopgate - 19 stories
16. 323 Duval - 12 stories
17. The Lofts at East Union - 10 stories
18. Duval County Courthouse - 10 stories ????

Mega Projects

San Marco Village - 14 acres, 2,000 units

5 mixed-use towers (59,48,48,48,42) & 9 story Courtyard by Marriott

St. Johns Point - 840 units

4 towers (36,33,30,15)

The Shipyards - 662 units (phase 1)
multiple towers (+30 story range) (former shipyards site on Northbank)
***must break ground with phase one by spring 2007***

San Marco Riverfront District - 2,000 units

multiple towers on 25 acres (former power plant site on Southbank)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Random project renderings

The St. John Hotel & Residences

The St. John

The Peninsula

The Vu (in color); Peninsula, Strand in background

Riverwatch

JEA tower

Florida Life/Bisbee Building loft conversion

323 Duval

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Random Construction pics

San Marco Place, from the skyway

Riverside Partners

The Strand & San Marco Place, plus cranes for the Peninsula

The Barnett; Greenleaf & Crosby in background

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Lakelander no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2006, 01:01 AM   #85
Lakelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardpooch
So which skyline is better? After all of this rambling, I still don't know and don't really care because both cities are getting amazing buildings.

BTW, i haven't been to Jacksonville in 10 years so I really can't comment on that skyline. Although I will say that it will probably have the largest skyline (not necessarily in height) in the coming years. Of course, that still doesn't mean it's necessarily better.
At the end of the day, the best skyline will depend on the individual. As far as Jax goes, who knows if it will be considered the best, but it will definately be the most unique, due to its natural location and position along the St. Johns River. Its one of the few cities in the country, especially the South, that will have a skyline of equal heights, rising on both sides of a major river.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Lakelander no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2006, 01:08 AM   #86
eweezerinc
President of Catan

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakelander
but it will definately be the most unique, due to its natural location and position along the St. Johns River.
I think Louisville would still be the most Unique considering it will have the most stand-outish, unique building of the three. The rediculous design is what everyone's beef is on MP in the first place.
Not to mention Jax and Nash have NOTHING like Louisville's Humana Building or Aegon.
Old May 17th, 2006, 03:13 AM   #87
Plasticman

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweezerinc
I think Louisville would still be the most Unique considering it will have the most stand-outish, unique building of the three. The rediculous design is what everyone's beef is on MP in the first place.
Not to mention Jax and Nash have NOTHING like Louisville's Humana Building or Aegon.
I'll give you Aegon as super, but I find Humana horrible. My wife's aunt lives in Kentucky and retired from a job in that building a couple years back. Even she hated it.
Plasticman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2006, 03:43 AM   #88
Soulbrotha
abdulsharifshoots.com

see...you can't please everyone!

i like humana, espcial the base

Old May 17th, 2006, 04:22 AM   #89
LouisvilleGuy05

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilson758
as I agree with your assessment, I don't think that is the case here. I whole-heartedly believe that nash-vegas is well on its way and will have the superior skyline of the three cities. I think it does now, but just barely over Louisville.
ha. please. we all know your hatred for Louisville clouds your judgement.
LouisvilleGuy05 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2006, 04:27 AM   #90
Cardpooch

Oh come on now Plasticman. You mean you don't like the Mayan Temple/protruding spaceship theme on the top of the building.

The truth is that you can't go into any American city without seeing some sort of rip off of this building. From the PINK (insert scream here) granite to the faux Roman temple entrance lol! this building has been cut and pasted so many times and in so many places that they must have been selling the blueprints at K-Mart back in the '80's. Yet 20 years later there is still only ONE Humana Building.

Why?

Because with each reincarnation the style became more watered down and less of an inspired idea. Mediocrity became the norm and the orginal became too outlandish for it's own good.

This isn't uncommon. Art Deco went through the same backlash in the 1960's. Thank goodness we got over that one. Otherwise, who knows what Signature Tower might look like today...
Old May 17th, 2006, 04:35 AM   #91
Lexy
Fly Nashville!

Likes (Received): 21

Nashville's list.......

as follows..
Updated list thanks to Ron over at UP for putting this together.

NASHVILLE PROJECTS THREAD

Recently Completed:
Vanderbilt Children’s Hospital
Research III facility
West End Lofts I
West End Lofts II
West End Close I
Round About Plaza Office Building 11 stories

Under Construction

112 2nd Ave Lofts Rehab
1811 18th Ave. 6 story structure

Beverly Briley County Building
Hotel Indigo conversion

Rolling Mill Hill Phase I of III a 210 million dollar development w/1000 condo and apartments

Stalhman Building Upgrade to Condos
The Adelicia Condos 18 stories

The Icon Condo and apartment 22 stories

The Gulch Project ½ billion dollar project adjacent to downtown
The Kress Building Lofts Rehab

The Viridian Condos 31 stories

The West End Condos 11 stories

Suntrust Building

About to Start Construction

MTA Transit center 11 stories

The West End Summit I 25 stories
The West End Summit II 23 stories

The Signature Condos 65 floors

The Encore 20 stories

Sounds Baseball Stadium with 600 Condos, Retail and commercial

The Woodmont & Kenner

The Terrazzo Condos 14 stories

Cumberland Yacht Harbor

East Bank Arts Project

Proposed or in Planning

Proposed Crosland 16 story Tower @ 12th & Division
Music City Central Convention Center 455 million dollar project
The Ridgefield @ Kenner 6 story Condo Project
The Monroe Condo
Garfield Place Condos
The Brownstone Condos
2020 West end Ave Retail Center
American Trust Building Rehab
Germantown Courts Condos
Gateway Demonbreun Partner Project 12th and Demonbreun
Metro School of the Arts on the State Mall
The Tennessee State Museum on the Mall
The African American Museum on the Mall
The Tennessee State Archives and Library on the Mall
Hume Fogg H.S. Gym
Rolling Mill Hills Phase II and III
Lionstone Group Project @ the Roundabout and Demonbreun
Proposed 1 or 2 new CC HQ hotels 100 million minimum
John Hayes proposed 10 story tower on Poston
State St. Medical Center office building (project may be dead)
Federal Courthouse 110 million dollar project on Church St 11 stories

11th and Church Tony Giarratana project Unknown height but will more than likely be several towers
The Encore Phase II 12 to 20 stories
Possible tower at foot of Shelby Street Bridge Rumored for Bass, Berry, Sims
Renaissance Hotel Possible 31 story hotel addition
The Chesterfield Condos

Nashville, the next great southern city.
Nashville @ PBase: http://www.flickr.com/photos/perspectivephotography

Last edited by Lexy; May 17th, 2006 at 05:26 AM.
Lexy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2006, 04:39 AM   #92
scraperboy
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulbrotha
well.....

Riverparkplace (planned)
the first phase will include up to 350 units in six four- to 14-story structures, most of which will be built atop a platform to escape flooding, along with a large marina and extensive pathways, piers and park space.

Arena Hotel

Museum Plaza of course

There are also a few other suburban highrises planned and plenty of midrise conversions downtown. I believe two 8-story buildings have just been converted to lofts downtown (Lofts of Broadway and Off Broadway Lofts).

Also, you have the 14 story seminary woods condo building going up in a inner ring suburb near Indian Hills. I believe I heard about another midrise under construction off Cherokee Park in the Highlands but I am unsure of the height. Also I believe there are still plans for a 10 or more story building on the Indiana side of the river next to the existing 11 story Harbours condos.

The big thing in Louisville right now is low rise condo infill and condo converts. Every city neighborhood that is remotely trendy and hip is seeing several large condo rehabs or new low rise construction most notably in the Highlands, Crescent Hill, Clifton, and Old Louisville (under 4 floors).
scraperboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2006, 04:58 AM   #93
krazeeboi

Likes (Received): 88

Quote:
The Modis building in Jax may not have the most "impressive" design, but it is very recognizable. Same goes for the BellSouth tower in Nashville. You couldn't mistake those two towers for anything else, but the Aegon building does resemble Winston-Salem's domed Wachovia tower. The Humana building doesn't really have a prominent place in the Louisville skyline for the average viewer, so I don't think it's really all that distinctive in that regard.
Old May 17th, 2006, 05:21 AM   #94
eweezerinc
President of Catan

Aegon was built before Wachovia, and the domes and VERY much distinguishable from one another. Humana does have a prominant place in the day time, it depends on from where you take the picture. Also, I dont know of any other city that has twin towers with stupid red lighthouses on top.
I will agree that Modis is a stand out, but I don't think anyone but people on this site would be able to point it out. I know it quite well because I have family in Jax.

And Lexy, you need to cut that post in half, because literally half of those projects arent highrises and will have NOTHING to do with Nashville's skyline in two years.
Old May 17th, 2006, 05:22 AM   #95
Lexy
Fly Nashville!

Quote:

Aegon was built before Wachovia, and the domes and VERY much distinguishable from one another. Humana does have a prominant place in the day time, it depends on from where you take the picture. Also, I dont know of any other city that has twin towers with stupid red lighthouses on top.
I will agree that Modis is a stand out, but I don't think anyone but people on this site would be able to point it out. I know it quite well because I have family in Jax.

And Lexy, you need to cut that post in half, because literally half of those projects arent highrises and will have NOTHING to do with Nashville's skyline in two years.

Well it's a copy and paste from another thread, so big deal. Many, if not all of them will add to the urban fabric of the city.

But if it makes everyone feel better, than I will cut it in half.

Old May 17th, 2006, 05:31 AM   #96
Cardpooch

Actually there is a building similar to Bellsouth in Austrailia but no one would associate the two. I also doubt many would consider Aegon or Wachovia to be that similar.

And yes Lexy, that post is overkill LOL! But I am glad to see that the Belle Mead theater is finally getting the rehab it deserves.
Old May 17th, 2006, 05:31 AM   #97
eweezerinc
President of Catan

Hah, and I must say, the list is still very impressive after the cut.
Old May 17th, 2006, 05:32 AM   #98
Lexy
Fly Nashville!

There. I did the best I could with the memory that I have on these projects. If you want to get down to the bare bones about it, everything that was listed before hand would have everything to do with the skyline. Why you ask? Cause it is what is below it. The community and the neighborhood that resides below the towers. But in the context of this discussion, I can see why it is not important to list the other projects. Nevertheless, that is the list (minus the minus' from the "proposed" section cause I am lazy).

E, it's been a long day and the coffee is just now getting to my head! LOL!!! Just ask my wife.

Old May 17th, 2006, 05:34 AM   #99
krazeeboi

Likes (Received): 88

Quote:

I actually associate those twin towers more with Louisville than Aegon, although I like Aegon much better.

I don't think the average Southerner could really even point out any Southern city's distinctive tower(s) besides their own or those of other cities they frequent.
Old May 17th, 2006, 06:09 AM   #100
Lakelander

Very true. To be honest, the average US citizen probably couldn't easily recognize any big city skyline, outside of NYC and Chicago.

Btw, the Nashville list is pretty impressive. Not as much as Jax, but definately more than I ever expected and the Signature Tower is definately impressive. Big props to Nashville for finding a way to build commuter rail at an affordable price, as well.

What's going on in Louisville? The World Trade center look-a-like is huge and Riverplace park looks promising. Anything else (10 stories and above) coming on line?