search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast

Southeast TX, OK, LA, MS, AL, GA, NC, SC, VA, TN, KY
» Development News | Atlanta | Florida | Miami | Nashville | Orlando | Tampa Bay | Texas

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: How many skylines does your city have.
1 skyline (normal) 48 21.62%
2 skyline's (bi-normal) 34 15.32%
3 skyline's (not natural) 39 17.57%
4 skyline's (Something is wrong) 18 8.11%
5 skyline's (HOW DID YOU DO THAT) 17 7.66%
6 skyline's (Can't believe it) 14 6.31%
7 skylines (DAMN) 41 18.47%
NO SKYLINE. 21 9.46%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 222. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 22nd, 2011, 05:56 AM   #521
L&C Tower Admirer

Likes (Received): 3

Nashville has one skyline that is very linear that stretches from first avenue to Belle Meade. That is about 60 city blocks. I don't consider a small collection of mid-rise buildings to be a separate skyline. If a building is not 300 feet (at which time a building is considered to be a skyscraper by many in the field), I really don't consider it a "skyline."

So Nashville has one.
L&C Tower Admirer no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 28th, 2011, 11:30 PM   #522
JorgiPorgi

Likes (Received): 103

CHARLOTTE:

Downtown is the main skyline in the city. It is a dense cluster of tall 300 to almost 900 ft tall buildings. "Uptown" is fairly compact. The skyline does spread out in Midriseso the east a good 10-15 blocks all the way to Presbeterian Hospital and Carolina's Medical Center. The skyline also spreads southward in to Southend with Small to mid rise buildings, but ends ubruptly to the north. The skyline also ends abruptly to the west, as there are lots of parking lots in this section of Uptown. Gateway Center and Johnson and Wales University is a small cluster of Midrises 4 or 5 blocks from Center City(Uptown).

Southpark is a big cluster of shopping and offices. There is not a good place to view this "almost skyline", except when you drive through it. It is mainly small to midrise office buildings. The tallest are two twin towers that are 13 floors I believe.

Ballantyne is a big, and growing office development, sprawling off the 485 outer loop, 25 minutes south of Downtown. There is a lot of construction going on there now. Two 10 story twin towers are being built, and some other building right on the highway. Most of this area is composed of Small buildings around 6 floors, but in the past 2 years Midrises have been popping up. THe third and fourth midrise will be completed in 2012. From what I can see, they have already topped out one, and the other is coming up. Anyway, the area is becoming pretty impressive when Approaching it.

University City- Combined with UNC Charlotte this is a spread out area of buildings, hospitals, and hotels and tall dormatories. buildings ranging from 5 to 13 or 14 floors at the University.
JorgiPorgi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2011, 12:22 AM   #523
Mister Nifty
BANNED

Likes (Received): 8

Central Dallas is a combination of four skylines -- Downtown, Uptown, Turtle Creek, and the Southwestern Medical District / Dallas Market Center area. All these areas are being transitioned into a single skyline. As it stands now, the Dallas Design District is quickly developing into the next Uptown which is located on the west side of I-35 and Uptown. Maple Avenue between the old Parkland hospital and the new Parkland hospital is also booming which taken together with the Dallas Design District will transition Southwestern Medical District / Dallas Market Center into the Uptown / Downtown area.
CityPlace, which is northeast of the heart of and is considered part of Uptown, is also booming.
The city of Dallas calls this transitioning phenomenon "Downtown Dallas 360."
I have a picture of all these areas together, but I can't locate it to properly reference its origination.
The Turtle Creek area is a business district and highrise residential area which has existed for many years about a mile north of downtown Dallas. It now has been overtaken by development and is part of the Uptown / downtown Dallas area.
Surprizingly, the tallest skyscrapers in this new downtown Dallas area will be built in the CityPlace and in the Harwood districts of Uptown.
I've listed the many transitions in another post the city of Dallas has utilized to bring about the consolidation of these urban areas. One of these monumental efforts was the successful redevelopment of an old abandoned utility plant to the northwest of downtown into the present Victory Park development. This redevelopment, in turn, helped transition the Dallas Design District into Uptown which Victory Park is a part of.

Last edited by Mister Nifty; December 10th, 2011 at 12:34 AM.
Mister Nifty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2011, 02:10 AM   #524
musiccity
Retired Mod

Likes (Received): 14994

Quote:
Originally Posted by L&C Tower Admirer View Post
Nashville has one skyline that is very linear that stretches from first avenue to Belle Meade. That is about 60 city blocks. I don't consider a small collection of mid-rise buildings to be a separate skyline. If a building is not 300 feet (at which time a building is considered to be a skyscraper by many in the field), I really don't consider it a "skyline."

So Nashville has one.
Why are you getting on to me? Other people have included even smaller skylines than I have posted.
“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

-Mark Twain
musiccity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2012, 08:32 PM   #525
Oprindelige

Likes (Received): 0

Oprindelige no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2012, 08:34 PM   #526
Oprindelige

Likes (Received): 0

Greenville, NC - Some of ECU's Resident Halls

Last edited by Oprindelige; April 15th, 2012 at 05:50 PM.
Oprindelige no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2012, 06:35 PM   #527
KayneMo

Likes (Received): 163

Here's the Norman skyline, south of Oklahoma City:
[IMG]http://i50.************/qotxt5.jpg[/IMG]
KayneMo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2012, 06:53 AM   #528
zach7795

Likes (Received): 189

not a skyline^ and 3 apartment buildings is not a skyline either... sorry
zach7795 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2012, 07:55 PM   #529
WeimieLvr
Love me, love my dog...

Likes (Received): 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by zach7795 View Post
not a skyline^ and 3 apartment buildings is not a skyline either... sorry
It depends on your perspective...to someone in Greenville or Norman it is a skyline, but to someone in Miami it's not. Remember, everyone is coming from a different place.
WeimieLvr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2012, 10:26 PM   #530
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53372

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeimieLvr View Post
It depends on your perspective...to someone in Greenville or Norman it is a skyline, but to someone in Miami it's not. Remember, everyone is coming from a different place.
Yep, out here in the western reaches, that would be the skyline of a city of 800,000!
Old May 20th, 2012, 07:28 AM   #531
KayneMo

Likes (Received): 163

Northwest skyline of Oklahoma City viewed from downtown:
[IMG]http://i46.************/19nn6c.jpg[/IMG]
The building on the far right, Valliance Bank Tower, is the tallest in OKC outside of downtown.

Last edited by KayneMo; May 20th, 2012 at 03:03 PM.
KayneMo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2016, 10:28 PM   #532
Infoman
/BMOREBOY

Likes (Received): 312

Wow, I used to love this thread. I cannot believe how immature I was back when I created though; a bit embarrassing in retrospect.
Old September 9th, 2016, 01:31 AM   #533
lancetop

Likes (Received): 172

Personally, I don't think multiple skylines is the way to go....

But saying that, I do admire the way Houston's Galleria area relates to Downtown Houston.

I'm not a huge fan of Atlanta's multiple skylines.
lancetop no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2016, 04:24 PM   #534
Dale

Likes (Received): 5491

Atlanta is actually a bit like the urban purist's wet dream, Toronto, in that it has a spine of highrise nodes per every subway station. Of course Toronto is Canada's Big Apple, and is still years ahead of Atlanta in terms of filling in the areas between highrise nodes.
Dale está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2016, 10:03 PM   #535
WeimieLvr
Love me, love my dog...

Likes (Received): 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancetop View Post
Personally, I don't think multiple skylines is the way to go....

But saying that, I do admire the way Houston's Galleria area relates to Downtown Houston.

I'm not a huge fan of Atlanta's multiple skylines.
That's too bad since all major cities have multiple skylines...you certainly can't think Atlanta invented them. I would imagine that every city with over 2 million people has at least 2 skylines.

I doubt anyone sat down and said "Hey, I think we should develop multiple skylines". They happen organically - depending on where land is cheap and/or the population is growing.
WeimieLvr no está en línea   Reply With Quote