daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast

Southeast TX, OK, LA, MS, AL, GA, NC, SC, VA, TN, KY
» Development News | Atlanta | Florida | Miami | Nashville | Orlando | Tampa Bay | Texas

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 7th, 2009, 01:23 AM   #41
SouthmoreAvenue

Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRG View Post
There are more OU grads in Dallas than there are UT grads.
yep, just goes to show you, OU grads would rather be in Texas than in Oklahoma....

http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/h...ex.php?act=idx
SouthmoreAvenue no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 7th, 2009, 01:32 AM   #42
SRG

Likes (Received): 24

Well obviously OKC and Tulsa are pretty crimson as well.
Old September 7th, 2009, 01:35 AM   #43
ein okc!
devonian

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashville View Post
SEC-SEC-SEC
#13 Georgia 10, #9 OSU 24 (we're #6 in SI)

Big 12 - Big 12 - Big 12

It looks like this season will be a wonderful thing for Cowboys fans. In fact, every Big 12 team won this wknd.. oh except OU of course. LOL. OSU-Texas will be the deciding game for the Big 12 championship. We get 'em in Stillwater AND on Halloween so that's also going to be another huge game.

The new Boone Pickens Stadium:

The nation's largest student union and Oklahoma's largest library:
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Go Pokes!

Last edited by ein okc!; September 7th, 2009 at 01:54 AM.
ein okc! no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2009, 01:43 AM   #44
Stuck in Bama

Likes (Received): 2754

Thank you VA Tech for giving us a better game than your counterpart Clemson, but as usual the result remains the same...another win for Alabama.
Stuck in Bama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2009, 02:35 AM   #45
papa_spaz

Likes (Received): 2

The new Boone Pickens Stadium looked very small on TV. It's a shame that a ranked team like Georgia (even though they are the 5th best SEC team) comes in for the first game and the game doesn't even sell out.
papa_spaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2009, 03:08 AM   #46
dmoor82
Red Sox Nation!

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa_spaz View Post
The new Boone Pickens Stadium looked very small on TV. It's a shame that a ranked team like Georgia (even though they are the 5th best SEC team) comes in for the first game and the game doesn't even sell out.
The Boone is very small, as far as capacity goes! its like half the seating capacity of Neyland or the big house or any 100k stadium! but what you didnt see is the upgrades to the locker rooms workout facilities and so on! top notch all the way! there supposed to have a better locker room than some NFL teams!
dmoor82 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2009, 03:17 AM   #47
Stuck in Bama

The OK State win was impressive, but you were the favorite to win and the UGA is down this year. I want to see more SEC-BIG 12 matchups.
Old September 7th, 2009, 03:46 AM   #48
ein okc!
devonian

uga is down this year? still a top 15 team with a history of being a powerhouse and one of the top coaches. it isn't very often before conference play that you see top teams and top coaches battle it out.

as for the boone, it's small for a big 12 stadium, but it's still the best college football facility in the nation. and the capacity is not half the size of neyland or the big house .. it seats 60,200 people plus another 4,000 club seats. in fact the suites and club-level seats are one of the main features. the locker rooms, training facilities, and other things inside the stadium blow away any other facility in the country and it will just get better once they break ground on the new $50 million practice facility.

as for it not being sold out, that was an athletic dept policy issue.. the a.d. decided to not sell any tickets to the georgia game, forcing everyone to have to buy season tickets. so when they say that 55,000 tickets were sold..that means osu sold 55,000 season tickets. besides osu is in a town of 50,000 people smack between oklahoma city and tulsa and osu only has 25,000 students at the stillwater campus, unlike ut or a&m. the town basically doubles in size for osu games. they will sell tickets to all the other games so expect sellouts for future games.

here's some pics i took of the festivities surrounding the opening of the game. 'the walk' is a stillwater tradition of everyone walking across campus. then t. boone came out and spoke, as did mike gundy (who is 42 this year).

and here's a night aerial of it when it was just completed earlier this month:

i agree with stuck in bama. i really want to see more sec-big 12 match ups as well. i'm tired of schools playing ridiculously lowly teams and it serves ou right to lose to byu if that's the toughest team they'll schedule.

Last edited by ein okc!; September 7th, 2009 at 03:51 AM.
Old September 7th, 2009, 04:12 AM   #49
GarfieldPark

Likes (Received): 1219

SRG: "There are more OU grads in Dallas than there are UT grads."

And where did you get that info?

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
GarfieldPark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2009, 06:05 PM   #50
papa_spaz

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoor82 View Post
The Boone is very small, as far as capacity goes! its like half the seating capacity of Neyland or the big house or any 100k stadium! but what you didnt see is the upgrades to the locker rooms workout facilities and so on! top notch all the way! there supposed to have a better locker room than some NFL teams!
I saw the upgrades and they look nice. Boone has a ton of luxury suites for a smaller stadium. They have more than most of the stadiums that have a capactiy of more than 90,000.

Nice win overall though. Now follow it up this year with a win over OU or Texas.

Quote:

but it's still the best college football facility in the nation.
Easy now. It looks good but it is not the best. Check out this video of Oregon's facilities. They are ridiculous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q84sNjkVKzs
papa_spaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2009, 07:25 PM   #51
Professor L Gee
Fan of skylines, highways

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuck in Bama View Post
Thank you VA Tech for giving us a better game than your counterpart Clemson, but as usual the result remains the same...another win for Alabama.
Great game against you guys as well... your boys wore ours down in the end. Good luck with the rest of the season... I do like Florida but I won't be mad if you guys take the SEC title.

What in the world are y'all feeding your running backs though???? Especially Upchurch!

Professor L Gee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2009, 11:09 PM   #52
ein okc!
devonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa_spaz View Post
I saw the upgrades and they look nice. Boone has a ton of luxury suites for a smaller stadium. They have more than most of the stadiums that have a capactiy of more than 90,000.

Nice win overall though. Now follow it up this year with a win over OU or Texas.

Easy now. It looks good but it is not the best. Check out this video of Oregon's facilities. They are ridiculous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q84sNjkVKzs
how are those facilities supposed to be nicer than ours? for one that film spent 2 minutes talking about nike shoes and another minute talking about him having an xbox.

i don't think you all understand how a $284 million stadium is by far the best collegiate facility in the nation as well as the best athletic facility in the entire state of oklahoma. autzen stadium, with 55,000 seats, was renovated in 2002 for $80 million and it's probably the only facility that comes close to being as nice as the boone. arkansas also did an impressive job renovating their old stadium in '01 at a cost of $110 million (and took it from 51,000 seats to 76,000 and gave it a new modern look).

to put it into better perspective, other brand new stadiums: central florida's new 54,000 seat stadium that opened in '07 cost $54 million (1/6th the cost of the boone). uconn opened a new 45,000 seat stadium in '03 for $91 million. utah spent $27 million on a new 45,000 seat stadium that opened 10 years ago. the pittsburgh steelers' new stadium, heinz field, seats 65,000 and cost $281 million which is still less than the boone.

so yes, with seating capacity for 60,000 fans and capacity for another 4,000 in the suites, it's a small stadium especially by big 12 or sec standards. but when you look at the amenities, how no detail was spared, and how much was invested in making it the best and loudest atmosphere it is by far the best facility in the nation. back when our stadium only seated 43,000 people and most 6a high schools in oklahoma had nicer amenities, it was still said that for such a small stadium we were some of the loudest fans per seat. now that we put $284 million into a stadium the boone will be louder than most 90,000 seat stadiums, not to mention far nicer. for $284 million we could have built the largest stadium in the nation, but instead, we opted to built the nicest stadium in the nation. period.

here's a quote of barry switzer (former legendary ou coach) talking about how the boone is the best college football facility in the nation and how his school needs to fear it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugB25tdZufE

and here's a video of all of the features of the new stadium.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRKSaiOXico

and that's just the football stadium. directly across hall of fame avenue from the boone, we're also fixing to break ground on the new $50 million sherman e. smith training center, which will be the largest collegiate training center in the nation. it is expected to be nicer than any other collegiate or professional training center in the nation.

historic gallagher-iba arena, which seats 15,000 for basketball and wrestling matches, is home to more national championships than any other collegiate facility in the nation. after its recent renovations were finished in 2002, cbs sportsline ranked it as the best collegiate basketball facility in the nation.

those are just 3 of the new facilities at osu. the new athletic village on the north side of the campus will include new stadiums for baseball and softball, and new venues for baseball, tennis, soccer, equestrian and track and field. the land was cleared for it last year, with hundreds of buildings being razed, and now it's a matter of breaking ground on the new facilities. it should be noted though that everything that hasn't already been designed is on hold..due to the hit taken by the hedge fund that 'the next level' fundraising campaign was invested in.

Last edited by ein okc!; September 7th, 2009 at 11:30 PM.
Old September 8th, 2009, 12:32 AM   #53
MillerTime
MillerTime

Likes (Received): 86

I think Boone looks good after the renovations, but to say its the best or the nicest I wouldnt really go that far. There are a handful of nicer stadiums out there. I myself prefer the new stadium at the University of Minnesota. They spend 288.5 million on their new place and did it well. Plus they built if for future expansion to 80k+ aswell as more suites and club areas. And I believe they have the biggest locker room at over 60 yards by 25 yards or something aswell as the third largest video board in college football. Plus i believe its LEED Certified.

Tour of Minnesota's new home on campus
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAUxkrdNbkE

Aerial Shot
image hosted on flickr

The Locker Room (Not Finished)

The Club Lounge

Last edited by MillerTime; September 8th, 2009 at 03:55 AM.
MillerTime no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2009, 01:03 AM   #54
Stuck in Bama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor L Gee View Post
Great game against you guys as well... your boys wore ours down in the end. Good luck with the rest of the season... I do like Florida but I won't be mad if you guys take the SEC title.

What in the world are y'all feeding your running backs though???? Especially Upchurch!
Im more confident that Alabama will end up in Atlanta in a rematch against UF for the SEC. I just didnt seem all that impressed with LSU or Ole Miss. Maybe its because of the opening game.
Old September 8th, 2009, 01:19 AM   #55
ein okc!
devonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
I think Boone looks good after the renovations, but to say its the best or the nicest I wouldnt really go that far. There are a handful of nicer stadiums out there. I myself prefer the new stadium at the University of Minnesota. They spend 288.5 million on their new place and did it well. Plus they built if for future expansion to 80k+ aswell as more suites and club areas. And I believe they have the biggest locker room at over 60 yards by 25 yards or something aswell as the third largest video board in college football. Plus i believe its LEED Certified.

Tour of Minnesota's new home on campus
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVL2rv4ctBk

Aerial Shot
image hosted on flickr

The Locker Room (Not Finished)

The Club Lounge
the only thing tcf bank stadium has over boone pickens stadium is being leed-certified, which a lot of the osu-stillwater campus already is anyway as a part of the sustainability initiative. i personally think the locker rooms are ugly and that the interior lacks character, but maybe others think that the interior of the boone is too much bright orange and too colorful. i think incorporating school colors as much as the boone does it is the way to go for campus facilities.

tcf falls short of the boone in many key areas. the fans don't sit as close to the field so the sight lines aren't as good and the stadium won't be near as loud. plus a lot of the sound will escape out of the one non-capped endzone, so the seating capacity of 50,000 will sound just like a 50,000-seat stadium and that's it. at the boone, the "wild west endzone" is filled with the student section, arguably one of the best student sections in the nation, and the other endzone is capped by gallagher iba arena so no sound leaves and the fans are so close to the field they practically sit right on top of it.

also tcf doesn't have as many suites and doesn't even come close to as many club seats as the boone.

there are two areas where i feel like tcf is nicer than the boone. one is that the concessions areas and concourses feel much more indoors, which is something that would be really nice in the 100 degree dog days of the summer here in oklahoma. at the boone of course they're indoors, but the concession areas are on the exterior side of the concourse so it's very open to the exterior of the stadium. of course that probably makes getting in and out of tcf a nightmare if the concourse is truly indoors and not open-air, but in the minnesota cold you probably don't mind waiting in lines indoors a little longer.

the other, and only other, area where tcf is better than the boone is the jumbotron. they were supposed to put an 8,000 sf jumbotron that would be the largest in college football in the boone, but it was covering up the entire side of beautiful gallagher iba arena so they got rid of it and put up 4 (much) smaller jumbotrons on the corners of the stadium. tcf has what i think is either the 2nd or 3rd largest jumbotron in college football on the uncapped endzone (arkansas has or had the largest for a long time). that's probably one advantage to having one remaining uncapped endzone, however i don't think it's worth it to have all the crowd noise escaping just to have a space for a huge screen.

and it should be mentioned that even though this stadium costs $4 million more than the boone pickens stadium, i'd be willing to bet that the land it sits on is a lot more expensive than the land the boone is on. just the stadiums, the boone was probably a more expensive facility. costs for the land and the construction in minnesota are probably much higher than in oklahoma. and then you have to take into account that osu's new athletic facilities are so much more than the $284 million football stadium. there's the $50 million training center going up across hall of fame ave. there's the new stadiums for baseball, softball, soccer, new venues for tennis, equestrian, and more.. the rest of the athletic village also will cost hundreds of millions of dollars to complete and is a bold move that will bring every athletic program at osu to the national forefront. the days of basketball, wrestling, and golf accounting for almost all of osu's national championships are gone.
Old September 8th, 2009, 03:46 AM   #56
MillerTime
MillerTime

Likes (Received): 86

Im not sure what you find lacking in the interior. The stadium uses alot of minnesota's school colors everywhere with out overdoing it. I think they did everything just fine and kept it looking classy. The Locker room as I stated in the caption above the picture had not been finished yet. They have added pictures of all the great alumni who played there before above all the lockers amoung other things. They havealso added alot of color around the inside of the stadium including all the big ten championships and nation championship years. Either way im not sure what you are looking for to give the place more character. Maybe paint all the white walls inside to be maroon and gold?

Also the seats dont sit as close to the field on the sidelines like the boone does because this place was built to be multi-purpose for the U. They have a pitch for soccer use as well and is planned to be used in the olympic qualifying rounds if chicago wins the bid. Which is also why they went with the artificial turf instead of real grass.

TCF doesnt have as many suites or club seats as the boone but like i stated before its built to expand for all these factors based on the demand over the next few years. Which as long as things go the way they are shouldnt be all to far down the road. There is already a waiting list for next years season tickets. From what ive been told the expansion would add a third tier of seats and more suites. Bringing the total cap. over 80k with close to 100 suites, 120 loge boxes, and 5,000+ club seats.

As for the concourses at TCF they are over 90ft wide and have plenty of access points for entry and exit, so i dont see that being any problem. The concourses are also open to the playing field so they are not totally indoors. Although they are built with heating elements, so no worries about the cold. Besides they did a study, over the last 20 years the average game time temp in Minneapolis has been 62 degrees.

As far as sq ft goes the Video screen at TCF is the 3rd largest and not all that much smaller than the one in texas. It does fit nicely in the open west endzone. I dont think they are too worried about the noise escaping the stadium. They designed this stadium to be very similiar to the old memorial stadium that sat across the street. It was a horse shoe shaped stadium, so they designed the new one to look alot like it keeping the horse shoe design. They also liked the design because its open to the campus and downtown minneapolis and doesnt make it feel like it is seperate from everything around it.

As for the cost, I dont doubt that the land and labor cost more in Minneapolis as apossed to OK, but I believe this land was already owned by the university for future expansion which is slated to be finished by 2015. They have already finished a bio-engineering lab on the north side of the stadium with 14 other buildings in the works.

MillerTime no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2009, 05:06 AM   #57
Professor L Gee
Fan of skylines, highways

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuck in Bama View Post
Im more confident that Alabama will end up in Atlanta in a rematch against UF for the SEC. I just didnt seem all that impressed with LSU or Ole Miss. Maybe its because of the opening game.
Could have been. All I know is that Alabama returned a LOT of talent... not just starters but also experienced second-string guys.

Professor L Gee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2009, 07:02 AM   #58
Hia-leah JDM

Likes (Received): 11304

Miami Vs. FSU

How about that game tonight! If you missed this game, I feel very bad for you. Im not really a Miami fan but when you live in down here and are amongst so much of them, you can't help but root for them. This FSU/Miami game was reminiscent of the days when these two were the best thing around, I don't think it could possibly get better than that.

Hia-leah JDM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2009, 08:11 AM   #59
Ganis
BANNED

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRG View Post
There are more OU grads in Dallas than there are UT grads.
What are you smoking?

Ganis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2009, 03:02 PM   #60
dmoor82
Red Sox Nation!

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hia-leah JDM View Post
How about that game tonight! If you missed this game, I feel very bad for you. Im not really a Miami fan but when you live in down here and are amongst so much of them, you can't help but root for them. This FSU/Miami game was reminiscent of the days when these two were the best thing around, I don't think it could possibly get better than that.
I saw that Miami won! could possibly beat ou in 1 month????
dmoor82 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
acc, akansas, auburn, bama, clemson, football, ga tech, georgia, kentucky, lsu, memphis state, miss state, nc state, odu, oklahoma, ole miss, osu, sec, southeast college, tenn, uab, unc, uwv, virginia