daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Tampa Bay Area

Tampa Bay Area Includes Pasco, Hernando, and Citrus Counties » Transportation and Infrastructure

Old April 20th, 2006, 10:22 AM   #1
tampamobster21

Likes (Received): 6

Desired Changes for DT Tampa

Hey guys and girls I would like to know what you would like to change in DT Tampa/ Channelside.

Sponsored Links

Old April 20th, 2006, 06:56 PM   #2
Jasonhouse

Likes (Received): 520

Extend the trolley so that it covers all of DT and the UT area, and runs twice as fast as it does now.
Jasonhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2006, 07:07 PM   #3
John F

Likes (Received): 44

Sidewalk improvements. The Trolley extended and improved (not rubber wheeled trolley service). More park space.
Old April 20th, 2006, 07:10 PM   #4
smiley

Likes (Received): 81

What John said. and fill in the surface lots with development or parks before tearing down what is already there.
I contain multitudes.

I don't pretend 'cause I don't care.
smiley no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2006, 07:47 PM   #5
tampamobster21

Awesome. I thought no one would reply to this. Do you guys have any dreams for skyscrapers to go in? If so, what?
Old April 20th, 2006, 07:59 PM   #6
TallTampa

Likes (Received): 0

I'd say extending the trolly to DT and develop parks in between DT and Channelside.
TallTampa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2006, 08:23 PM   #7
FLHawk
Channelside Pioneer

Likes (Received): 2

While I certainly agree with the posters above re: more park space and trolley line extension, my fear is that neither of these will happen for years and years.

The Trolley certainly seems to have it's share of vocal opponents from both the private and public sectors. With the new Art Museum, the proposed addition to the Aquarium, the History Museum, and the Riverwalk people all holding out their palms for contributions, I'm uncertain where the funding would come from for such an extension.

There are so many open parking lots south of Jackson and East of Florida downtown. I would love to see a park - more than just a city block - in this area. But with these lots already divided in private and government ownership, and developers clammoring for the next $400K-and-up luxury condo tower project, I'm having a hard time imagining how a city park could happen.

I would love to be proven wrong on both accounts...
FLHawk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2006, 08:48 PM   #8
zerobullchip
BANNED

The original streetcars were payed for by private industry

http://www.cigarsoftampa.com/eduardo-manrara.html
zerobullchip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2006, 08:59 PM   #9
robbie

Yes make the trolley go up through downtown (in a loop). I mean Ybor to Channelside to DT and back to Ybor. Something like that.

Tear down the long hotel on Ashley at the river and replace it with a newer, more vetical hotel or hotel/condo or twin 25 story condos there.

Start more development on the west bank of the river but don't ruin the view of the minarets. After there is no more space at Channelside, start building massive condos at the "surface parking" areas of south DT.
robbie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2006, 09:17 PM   #10
John F

Likes (Received): 44

I don't want to see a single Trolley line... I think you could do more with it...

The grand "Loop" concept in a finished Streetcar system doesn't utilize the system IMHO. You could have more criss crossing routes... But of course you need ridership and potential riders and what do we have in Tampa but a lot of drivers....
Old April 20th, 2006, 09:24 PM   #11
tampamobster21

I think that the long hotel was just rennovated. Also, I like the park downtown, but I do not think it is big enough. I agree with the surface parking lots south of Gilligan's. I have been wondering why they could not add height for the surface parking lots to the BoA parking garage. I mean it is only ten stories high and I think it could be much more higher.
Old April 20th, 2006, 10:18 PM   #12
Maxim98

Likes (Received): 21

A park ala The Boston Commons running along either side of the Crosstown (enough space for development must be left on either side so the park doesn't face the Xtown) would be lovely. Maybe a block wide and three or four blocks long. Big enough methinks, though it would be nice for it to be big enough for concerts and such. AND SHADE TREES.
Maxim98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2006, 10:53 PM   #13
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Likes (Received): 370

Changes:

-Longer the Trolley line
-Improve traffic by anyways possible, wait, a good possible
- I would also like to see the Crosstown Expressway repainted by all means. The concrete look was so 10 yhears ago.
-I think this counts as a change, because it is the opposite of whats going on, leave some of the cigar factories and convert them into lofts. Leave some of our historical feature to Tampa.
Old April 20th, 2006, 11:01 PM   #14
tampamobster21

One change I think that Tampa needs is MORE ART! I think that a couple of these warehouses should have an art gallery of two.
Old April 20th, 2006, 11:05 PM   #15
FloridaFuture
Former Mod

Likes (Received): 148

Make a major retail development like Channelside in the "CBD", maybe in the parking lots. Turn alot of the land between the Meridian and Crosstown. Make modern looking schools in DT before that becomes a problem. Extend the trolley line. Keep the Cube light, it looks cool and adds noticeable art. Kill the tabletop skyline forming in Downtown and keep the triangle. Turn Adamo into a low/midrise lofts/aprtment district, and save the cigar factories.
FloridaFuture no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2006, 11:13 PM   #16
tampamobster21

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaFuture
Make a major retail development like Channelside in the "CBD", maybe in the parking lots. Turn alot of the land between the Meridian and Crosstown. Make modern looking schools in DT before that becomes a problem. Extend the trolley line. Keep the Cube light, it looks cool and adds noticeable art. Kill the tabletop skyline forming in Downtown and keep the triangle. Turn Adamo into a low/midrise lofts/aprtment district, and save the cigar factories.
They have a daycare downtown with a school there already. I think that the mall idea is really cool. Every great downtown has a mall. Look at San Diego, they have two malls downtown. They also have a kickass park named Balboa Park. Biggest park in the world. I think that the other thing I would change would be the Convention Center. We need an updated one. I think I like Vancouvers. Everyone should take a look.
Old April 20th, 2006, 11:16 PM   #17
jzquince69
jimmy

Likes (Received): 549

I say preserve the cigar factories, extend the trolley, and build as high as possible upwards of 600' regardless of the tabletop effect--b/c you can. Also, incorporate the cruise port into downtown a little more-- don't know how, b/c that is a great asset, like in Miami. work it.

Also, modernize the overpasses of the Crosstown and maybe widen it if poss.
jzquince69 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2006, 11:24 PM   #18
tampamobster21

Well you have a port close to downtown it is in Channelside, but you can not get a port downtown the canal isn't wide enough.
Old April 21st, 2006, 04:25 AM   #19
smiley

Likes (Received): 81

IF you consider Channelside downtown - like I do, because it always was until they decided to sell it as something else - the cruise port is downtown and gets the area pretty damn busy on days the ships are in.
I contain multitudes.

I don't pretend 'cause I don't care.
smiley no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2006, 08:52 PM   #20
tampamobster21

I wasn't saying that it was a matter of business on certain days. I was saying that you could not have cruise ship come right next to BoA and Amsouth.