daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Forum Pencakar Langit Malaysia > Pengangkutan

Pengangkutan aviation, automotive, rail and urban transportation

Old May 19th, 2007, 04:09 AM   #1
klbloke
klbloke

Likes (Received): 10

MALAYSIAN TAXIS

Errant cabbies and tourist guides bane of the industry

KUALA LUMPUR: There are only two aspects now preventing the country’s tourism industry from performing at its best – taxi drivers and tourist guides.

Deputy Tourism Minister Datuk Donald Lim, who identified the two front-liners as the “final frontier” in making Malaysia stand proud as a tourist destination, said the Government had done what it could and it was now up to them to make a change.

“Errant cabbies have been warned and punished, but despite repeated efforts by the Government, many still overcharge and refuse to use their meters and are rude.

“We have done what we can, and it is now up to them and the Commercial Vehicles Licensing Board (CVLB) to assess whether they are playing their role to help the country’s tourism industry,” he said.

Lim also urged the CVLB to re-assess its administrative and operating systems in handling the recurrent problem of errant cabbies.

He added that a new comprehensive system was needed to ensure that the situation would improve, and suggested the CVLB look at other countries for inspiration.

Speaking during the launch of the SEGi College Hotel Management and Tourism Programmes here yesterday, Lim also pointed out the need for tourist guides to learn more languages to attract more tourists from more countries.

“Our tourist guides are excellent when it comes to English, Bahasa Malaysia, Mandarin and even Japanese.

“But then again, we have to broaden our scope because we also have many tourists who do not speak English very well.

“West Asian tourists, for example, would definitely be impressed if tourist guides could speak Arabic, and they make up the bulk of tourist arrivals per year.

“Even Spanish and French should be picked up as they are widely spoken in many parts of the world,” he said, adding that there were 460,000 people in Malaysia involved in the tourism industry which contributes some 8% of the nation’s gross domestic product.

Lim also urged for the public to play their role in welcoming tourists to achieve the Government’s target of 20 million tourist arrivals this year.

Last edited by klbloke; May 19th, 2007 at 06:03 AM. Reason: spelling error
klbloke no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old May 19th, 2007, 04:37 PM   #2
forrestcat

Likes (Received): 6

I dunno what's wrong with some taxi drivers.They have many strange and bad attitudes. Before I ended high school,when I rarely use taxi,I tot this matter is exaggerated.But during college when I have to use taxi sometimes,I see that most allegations towards them are true.

Once I tried to take a taxi from Wangsa Maju to Sungei Wang.The taxi driver refused...not just that...sped off with me still holding the passenger door..I could have been hit. But the stupid driver had the back door still opening when he drove off...retard? I also really dislike taking taxis ouside KL city where they dun use meter at all and charge recklessly

Besides that,my Swiss cousin was almost molested by a taxi driver..luckily she forced herselfout of the taxi...taxi drivers hands like to go to places where they shouldn't....when reported our 'professional police force' malas nak layan pulak.My Swiss cousin travelled to Cuba and South America sometimes alone and that was her first experience,in her second home country..Some taxis are actually molester/crooks on wheels.
forrestcat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2007, 04:43 PM   #3
TWK90
Infrastructure

Likes (Received): 1040

Some taxis, well....they dont use meters, fix the rate....that is annoying for example in a crowded taxi stand..many passengers refused to take the taxi because the driver charged tecklessly, after the taxi driver can't find a passenger in the taxi stand, he just drove away....

Apart from that, i want our taxis got a clear "hired/vacant" sign on taxi, so that we know the taxi is either vacant or not from far away, at night....

Another improvement i want to see, is that....taxi driver should have an examination to gauge their knowledge on the road...

Last edited by TWK90; May 19th, 2007 at 04:50 PM.
TWK90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2007, 05:13 PM   #4
forrestcat

Likes (Received): 6

My mom says the Blue cab taxis in Jakarta safer to use than in Malaysia. The Blue can taxi driver actually returned a file she left in the car. KL bila nak ada taxi camni!!!!!
forrestcat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2007, 08:14 AM   #5
White_soX

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by forrestcat View Post
My mom says the Blue cab taxis in Jakarta safer to use than in Malaysia. The Blue can taxi driver actually returned a file she left in the car. KL bila nak ada taxi camni!!!!!
Blue bird, the trsuted one! Also, in KL, I left my new camera, i didn't notice that, surprisingly, the taxi driver came back. He's young as well!
White_soX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2007, 12:46 PM   #6
tbc

Likes (Received): 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by forrestcat View Post
.....Once I tried to take a taxi from Wangsa Maju to Sungei Wang.The taxi driver refused...not just that...sped off with me still holding the passenger door .....

Having experienced first hand the horrendous traffic congestion in the so called golden triangle, I would be very much inclined to do pecisely the same if I was the cab driver !
tbc está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2007, 06:39 PM   #7
klbloke
klbloke

Skyvan At KL Sentral To Be Removed If Taxis Stick To Rules

Skyvan At KL Sentral To Be Removed If Taxis Stick To Rules

KUALA LUMPUR, June 3 (Bernama) -- The Skyvan service at KL Sentral will be stopped if taxi drivers stick to rules and charge passengers according to the meter.

Tourism Minister Datuk Seri Tengku Adnan Tengku Mansor said the skyvans might be asked to operate at other locations if the taxi fares were already stable, he told reporters when asked what action would be taken following the complaint from some taxi drivers after the Skyvans started operations in July last year.

Tengku Adnan earlier opened the 5th Global Indian Shopping Festival 2007 (GISF'07) at Midvalley Megamall near here today.

Also present were Domestic Trade and Consumer Affairs Deputy Minister Datuk S.Veerasinggam and Indian High Commissioner to Malaysia Ashok K.Kanta.

Tengku Adnan said the Skyvans were put in service to supplement the service of the Skybus which ply between the low cost carrier terminal (LCCT) to KL Central.

He said he was informed that some taxi drivers charged as high as RM50 from Bangsar to KL Sentral.

Commenting on the statement by Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak that at least 8,000 Malaysian restaurants would be opened throughout the world, he said his ministry was striving to achieve this target.

Efforts were made to promote such a restaurant in Beijing while sites have been identified for the restaurants in Hydrabad, India and Qatar, Doha.

On the festival, he said it could help promote Malaysian goods to foreigners.

The event, organized by Agenda Suria Communication and Mahaa Network since 2003, attracted 220 exhibitors and 254,175 visitors last year,

GISF'07 which will be held for 10 days beginning June 1 saw 218 booths set up to accommodate exhibitors from India including from Kashmir, Rajasthan, Tamil Nadu, Calcutta, Mumbai, Orissa, Punjab, Gujarat, Karnataka and Kerala Pakista.

-- BERNAMA
Old June 19th, 2007, 06:04 PM   #8
klbloke
klbloke

Taxis in Shah Alam refuse to use meter

Taxis in Shah Alam refuse to use meter

DARJIT, of Kota Kemuning, cannot hold back her anger because most taxi drivers in Shah Alam do not use the meter.

“Every day, I take a taxi from Sri Muda to Kota Kemuning to work, and the fare is a burden to me.

“I’m a 56-year-old woman, that’s why I take the taxi — it is convenient and comfortable.

“If I travel by bus, I have to squeeze in with the other passengers. It’s worse if I don’t get a seat during the journey.”

She says she has to spend RM20 or more on taxi fares every day.

“The cabbies always charge more if the passengers are Indonesians or Pakistanis.

“All the taxi drivers here refuse to use the meter, some of them cover it with a towel. Some have not even installed the meter.

“One day, a cabbie forgot to cover it, and the meter clearly showed that the registered fare was only RM6.80 from Sri Muda to Kota Kemuning. But he still charged me RM10.”

DARJIT claims taxi drivers always ask passengers if they want to be charged according to the meter.

“I hope the authorities will investigate and take action as soon as possible.”

- ROAD Transport Department enforcement director Salim Parlan appeals to errant taxi drivers to behave, otherwise they will continue to tarnish the image of their profession.

“We have special task forces at four places — the Klang Valley, Johor, Penang and Kuala Lumpur International Airport — to identify taxi drivers who refuse to use meters and who overcharge their passengers.

“I will ask the enforcement team in Selangor to investigate the matter.

“We welcome public complaints on the services provided by taxis to improve them.”
Old July 2nd, 2007, 05:38 AM   #9
klbloke
klbloke

Public Cab

Public Cab Company Website

http://www.publiccab.com/

Serving Klang Valley, Seremban & JB
Old July 2nd, 2007, 05:48 AM   #10
nazrey

Likes (Received): 1793

Maxi Cab

nazrey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2007, 12:29 AM   #11
klbloke
klbloke

JPJ going all-out against errant cabbies

JPJ going all-out against errant cabbies

By FARIK ZOLKEPLI

JOHOR BARU: The Road Transport Department (JPJ) is going all out against errant taxi drivers.

Its Federal Enforcement director Salim Parlan announced an operation that kicks off Monday to prevent tourists from being victimised by irresponsible taxi drivers.

He said the department had received complaints that some taxi drivers had overcharged or even refused to take tourists to certain destinations.

"We do not want such actions to tarnish the nation's image, what with a huge number of tourists coming to the country during Visit Malaysia Year.

"We are also warning all taxi drivers to abide by the rules and regulations," he said.

Salim told a press conference here that the operation would focus on major cities in Selangor, Kuala Lumpur, Penang and Johor.

"We will also monitor the situations in shopping centres and other areas in the four states," said Salim.
Old July 23rd, 2007, 01:43 AM   #12
klbloke
klbloke

JPJ perangi ‘ulat’ di 4 negeri mulai hari ini

JPJ perangi ‘ulat’ di 4 negeri mulai hari ini
Oleh Srihanasham Noordin

JOHOR BAHRU: Jabatan Pengangkutan Jalan (JPJ) akan memerangi kegiatan ‘ulat’ dan pemandu teksi yang tidak mematuhi peraturan secara besar-besaran di empat negeri, terutama di Lapangan Terbang Antarabangsa Kuala Lumpur (KLIA) dan Terminal Penerbangan Tambang Murah (LCCT) di Sepang, bermula hari ini.

Pengarah Penguat Kuasa JPJ, Salim Parlan, berkata anggota dan pegawai JPJ akan ditempatkan di ruang pejabat diberikan Malaysia Airport Berhad di KLIA dan LCCT bagi kegunaan dan kemudahan JPJ melaksanakan operasi penguatkuasaan.

Katanya, pelbagai kaedah akan digunakan untuk membanteras kegiatan ulat dan pemandu teksi degil termasuk menerusi penyamaran anggota JPJ sebagai penumpang di lokasi tertentu.

"Operasi secara intensif akan dilakukan sebagai kesinambungan daripada siri operasi JPJ selama ini. Kita memberi fokus kepada Selangor, Kuala Lumpur, Johor dan Pulau Pinang kerana empat negeri itu menggunakan teksi bermeter," katanya di sidang media di pejabat JPJ Johor, di sini, semalam.

Hadir sama, Pengarah JPJ Johor, Rosli Ramli.

Salim berkata, berdasarkan siasatan, pemandu teksi dan ulat menjadikan pelancong asing sebagai sasaran mereka dengan mengenakan tambang mahal tanpa menggunakan meter di lokasi tumpuan ramai seperti KLIA, LCCT, terminal pengangkutan awam dan pusat beli-belah.

"Pada bulan ini, kita menjangkakan ibu negara akan dibanjiri pelancong dari Asia Barat dan sikap ulat serta pemandu teksi yang tidak bertanggungjawab tentunya mencemarkan nama baik Malaysia," katanya.

Sementara itu, katanya, Ops Tutup siri keenam akan dilakukan di seluruh Johor dengan mengadakan sekatan jalan raya 24 jam di 14 lokasi statik selama dua minggu bermula hari ini hingga 5 Ogos ini.

Katanya, enam lokasi statik bagi sekatan jalan raya dipilih di bandar raya ini dan masing-masing satu lokasi di Segamat, Kluang dan Mersing serta dua di Batu Pahat dan tiga di Muar.

"Seramai 170 anggota dan pegawai dari JPJ Johor dan beberapa negeri lain akan melakukan Ops Tutup di Johor dengan mengadakan sekatan di kebanyakan jalan utama, manakala 13 pasukan ronda akan membuat rondaan mengesan kesalahan di jalan raya," katanya.
Old August 8th, 2007, 06:29 AM   #13
klbloke
klbloke

1,300 cabbies go on strike in Penang

1,300 cabbies go on strike in Penang

BY TAN SIN CHOW

PENANG: Some 1,300 taxi drivers, all members of the Penang Federation of Taxi Drivers Association, have gone on a “boycott” following what they claim is “constant harassment” by the authorities over the past five days.

Association president Osman Majid said the members had “grounded” their vehicles since yesterday evening.

“Enough is enough. We cannot take it anymore. We are being summoned for not using meters and simple reasons such as not wearing our uniform,” Osman said.

“This is ridiculous. Our permits do not stipulate that we must be in uniform. We only have to be in ‘smart and neat’ clothes. We feel that we are being harassed,” he said at the Sungai Nibong Bus Terminal here yesterday.

Unhappy lot: Some of the Penang Federation of Taxi Drivers Association members showing the summonses they received at the Sungai Nibong Bus Terminal yesterday.
Osman said the federation’s members had received more than 100 summonses since Friday for offences like wearing jeans and sneakers.

He said more than 100 members had their permits temporarily suspended.

“Our taxis will not be on the road unless the authorities called off the roadblocks. We are scared to go on the road as we fear getting more summonses,” he said.

Osman said the roadblocks were put up in Batu Ferringhi, Tanjung Bungah, Gelugor, Komtar, Weld Quay, Bukit Jambul and Jalan Bagan Jermal under a joint operation by the Commercial Vehicle Licensing Board (CVLB), Road Transport Department and police,

State Local Government, Traffic Management, Information and Community Relations Committee chairman Datuk Dr Teng Hock Nan said he supported the action taken against taxi drivers who flouted the meter ruling which was enforced on Aug 1 last year.

“If they were wrongfully summoned, surely there will be avenues for them to appeal,” he said.

CVLB chairman Datuk Markiman Kobiran said the board would continue mounting roadblocks. On the uniform ruling, he said taxi drivers were required to wear black pants, white shirts and shoes.
Old August 20th, 2007, 07:09 AM   #14
klbloke
klbloke

Canadian teen fends off attack by cabbies

Canadian teen fends off attack by cabbies

KUALA LUMPUR: When the taxi driver he hailed refused to use the meter, a Canadian decided against using the taxi. For doing so, the driver and three others attacked him with batons and bamboo sticks.

However, the four were unable to prevail against the burly 17-year-old Julian Sebastian Beh Pold, who managed to fend them off and escaped with just a few bruises.

Julian: ‘When the driver refused to use the meter, I got out’
Julian who weighs 114kg and stands 1.83m, plays American football at his school in Quebec.

Julian said he was in Petaling Street with some friends on Friday night when he decided to take a cab home.

“When the driver refused to use the meter, I got out of the cab and slammed the door telling him that what he was doing was against the law.

“Later, he came back with three of his friends and scolded me for slamming his door claiming I had damaged his taxi.”

Julian, who is holidaying here, said they then attacked him with batons and bamboo sticks.

His friend, Dennis Barry, who witnessed the incident called the police immediately.

Julian said he did not retaliate and only blocked the attacks because he did not want to be blamed for being the aggressor if he had fought back.

Julian’s father, Robert Beh, said the company that owned the taxi had been identified.

Commercial Vehicle Licensing Board chairman Datuk Markiman Kobiran said he would look into the incident.
Old August 20th, 2007, 02:37 PM   #15
myf282828
BANNED

THese taxis drivers make us very shameful.
myf282828 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2007, 02:58 PM   #16
SEED

Likes (Received): 4

thats crap..
SEED no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2007, 08:21 PM   #17
Lastresorter
Mi I.Ali - Loca Stoopa

Likes (Received): 2

Actually, blame JPJ... they make cabbies livelihood difficult by corruption - give bribe or else won't issue license for the cab... then summon this that not using a proper meter etc... heard it from a taxi driver. Get rid of these corrupted pests and we will have good taxi drivers like those in Singapore.

- Regardless of race, language or religion, to build a democratic society, based on justice and equality, so as to achieve happiness, prosperity & progress for our nation.
Lastresorter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2007, 07:28 AM   #18
klbloke
klbloke

Crackdown on illegal taxi service

Crackdown on illegal taxi service

A total of 45 vehicles worth millions of ringgit were seized over the past two months in a series of raids on syndicates operating illegal taxi services at the KLIA.

Road Transport Department (JPJ) deputy director-general Solah Mat Hassan said the vehicles were used to ferry passengers arriving at the airport to various destinations.

One of it: Solah Mat Hassan pointing to the seized vehicle at KLIA yesterday. Looking on is Datuk Kamaruddin Mohd Ismail.
Among the vehicles impounded were Mercedes Benz, Kia vans and Proton Perdana cars, he said.

“We suspect the illegal taxi service was operated by syndicates as the activity is well organised. There are people appointed to canvas for passengers while others called the drivers, who would fetch the passengers,” he said.

Solah said that the JPJ used plainclothes officers to trail and detain the vehicles with the help of the police and the Malaysia Airports Berhad’s security officers.

He said the undercover operations started in July.

“The owners of the seized vehicle also risk losing their vehicles permanently as the department can apply to the courts to have the vehicle registration cancelled,” he said.

He also said 17 touts were arrested and charged since July this year.

“After carrying out the operation we disovered that the business of the legal airport taxis almost doubled,” he said.

Solah said that the JPJ had set up a permanent office at KLIA to tackle all JPJ related problems there.

“We will continue to deploy officers to detain vehicles flouting the Road Transport Act and commercial vehicle licensing requirements,” he said.

Malaysia Airports Security and Safety Services senior general manager Datuk Kamaruddin Mohd Ismail said that as off last year, more than 1,300 touts were detained at the airport area.

In an unrelated matter Solah said four express bus drivers from a major bus company in the country were detained by police in a joint operation at the Jalan Duta bus terminal on Sunday evening.
Old December 16th, 2007, 11:18 AM   #19
nazrey

Likes (Received): 1793

Taxi @ KL Central Railway Station

Budget Taxi

@ Bukit Bintang

nazrey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2007, 06:54 AM   #20
taro_80

90% taxi drivers are sux!! and blood sucker!!!

below are some examples i'd faced:-

-the taxi driver wanna charge me for 20bucks from BB plaza to maluri jusco.
-from ikano power centre to kelana jaya lrt stations cost 20bucks
-the taxi driver not start the journey after press the hired button, he drinking and others thing, after 1++ minutes othe start the journey...tipu meter!!!
-stop and take other passager which are going to same destination while the meter is running and charge 2 passenger fares ( while we cant drop off in different place and will be charge accordingly)
-charge for keep stuff in bolnet but not help us to put and take out the things

is all above fair?

that why i clamin that malaysia public transportations are sux!!! not only KL...most of the place is the same...
taro_80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote