search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 29th, 2017, 09:57 PM   #2721
Yak79

Likes (Received): 2130

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsi View Post
Good ol' Skitts Law striking again: as you begin your claim to be far superior with respect to the English language (by being able to retain precise definitions and fastidiously point out minor discrepancies) you make an accidental error that undermines your claim to be good at English.
I didn't intend to show off myself or to give anyone language lessons, and if my posts trasmit this impression to someone but you, I'll deeply apologize: I'm well aware I'm not very proficient in my non-native English, but I'm putting all my efforts in words choice and accurate phrasing in order to avoid misunderstanding and convey the concepts I want to explain toward other forumers.
I never, never intended to correct you: whenever I pointed out something on your posts is because I feared my previous statement, which you were being replying to, wasn't clear enough; I really don't think my efforts justify such a rude reception, but it's my fault always trusting in others' politeness and therefore I deserve it.

Whit regard for the rest, since you decided to stick with “only what currently happens in LA really matters” (as you made plenty clear) and didn't find anything better to do than insulting your interlocutors and sh**ting arrogantly other countries - only a petty chauvinist could define “300ft-long grade-separated trolleybuses” the Paris metro - I stop here to waste my time.

PS If I had to truly be unkindly pedantic, it'd be Skitt's - and not Skitts - Law. And now, delight yourself in finding new, more mistakes in this post (I'm not challenging you: there are likely to be some, indeed).

-
- Primo Levi, Se questo è un uomo -

ty32 liked this post

Last edited by Yak79; September 29th, 2017 at 10:08 PM.
Yak79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 30th, 2017, 02:41 AM   #2722
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yak79 View Post
I really don't think my efforts justify such a rude reception
Indeed, your smug arrogance, rudely demanding everyone bows to your definitions of terms in opposition to how the terms are used in the locality we're talking about, or in the language we're talking in, deserved no reception at all.

I'm 2 trains away from the Paris Metro, it's a great system, but that doesn't mean I can't half-jokingly call the rubber-tired vehicles that stop every 1/6 mile 'trolleybuses' (which, if you note, I qualify heavily to point out their non-shittiness). It's not 'petty chauvinism' to categorise something on your terms, differently to the locals.

It is however, very much 'petty chauvinism' and 'sh**ting on other countries' if I went in the Paris thread and demanded they only used my definitions and that theirs were all wrong.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2017, 05:30 AM   #2723
Kenni
Admin♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦

By Alon Levy's count, 7th Street/Metro Center is the busiest American subway station outside of New York.

zaphod, redspork02 liked this post
Kenni no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2017, 04:25 PM   #2724
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5741

I am not sure if it is due to the way they are counting but those numbers, also the ones from NYC, seem quite low to me. Did they include transfers in those numbers or only proper start/end of journeys from those stations?

U1/U3 Stephansplatz in Vienna has 230 000 boardings + transfers per working day. A city of about 2 mio inhabitants beating a metropolis of around 9 mio which is famed for its subway network? Moreover, while 7th street /Metro feels clearly less frequented than Stephansplatz, I can not really say the same about Times Square. Maybe the cramped nature of many of the New Yorker subway stations make them feel more frequented than they actually are? On the contrary, the rather spacious design of LA's stations work the other way round.

In either case, credit where credit is due. the highest frequency outside of NYC is certainly a big achievement.

rheintram liked this post

Last edited by Slartibartfas; September 30th, 2017 at 04:42 PM.
Slartibartfas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2017, 02:04 PM   #2725
Yak79

Likes (Received): 2130

Quote:
With regard for the rest ... I stop here to waste my time.
I've to withdraw what I've just said: I don't know what's wrong with you, but your attacks are so absurd - and by now things got personal - they need a reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsi View Post
Indeed, your smug arrogance, rudely demanding everyone bows to your definitions of terms in opposition to how the terms are used in the locality we're talking about, or in the language we're talking in, deserved no reception at all.
Which locality and which language, please? I'm asking because:
  • Montreal metro uses the same technology of Paris, and yet APTA ridership reports (p. 33), which follow US DoT specifications, classify it as HR (Heavy Rail);
  • NTD's glossary (p. 86) lists a definition of trolleybuses that's alike to those we use in the rest of the World, and that in no way can be extended to include Paris metro;
  • During morning peak service of Chicago “L” Loop, clockwise track between Clark/Lake and Adams/Wabash has a cumulative throughput of ~30 tph (outbound Green, Orange, Pink and Purple Express trains), showing that also in USA is possible to do something better than 6 tph (or 12 tph) and not so far away from the London “100 second railway”;
  • Honolulu HART future system, which will be fully segregated and lighter than “normal” US heavy rail transit (it derives from Copenhagen technology), is officially not labeled LRT.
As a matter of fact, it seems I was the bad bully guy only suggesting the use, in an international SSC subforum, of generally worldwide recognized technical terminology as a base for our (my) statements; while your definitions of terms and standards - from the white knight who stands as a champion of words' true meaning in both LA common use and English language - aren't matching even the Country's official ones. As we 'd say where I'm from, it's “il bue che dà del cornuto all'asino” (the ox which say: «you're horned» to the donkey): I know it's idiomatic, and thus “not allowed on this thread”, but I'm pretty sure it would be fairly understandable in Los Angeles too.
And now, I apologize to the whole forum for my asinine behavior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfas View Post
U1/U3 Stephansplatz in Vienna has 230 000 boardings + transfers per working day. A city of about 2 mio inhabitants beating a metropolis of around 9 mio which is famed for its subway network? ...
You fool! Accordingly to the self-proclaimed ruler of this thread, Vienna doesn't have a true HRT but merely "360ft long electric draisines", therefore its boardings figures don't count here: you should know you're authorized to define it “metro” in VIENNA | Public Transport thread only.
How dare you propose such an impudent comparison? Now, be prepared to face his anger!

-
- Primo Levi, Se questo è un uomo -

Last edited by Yak79; October 1st, 2017 at 02:11 PM.
Yak79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2017, 12:13 AM   #2726
pesto

Likes (Received): 3030

Quote:
Originally Posted by redspork02 View Post
THE SOURCE WEBSITE & MORE PICS

Fresh pics: Crenshaw/LAX Line’s Downtown Inglewood Station

INGLEWOOD STATION

------------------------------------------------------

THis dinky little station will "service" DT Inglewood / Forum and LA Stadium? Yikes.

It does look small but I wouldn't be too concerned. DT Inglewood is not substantial. The Forum and the Kronk are 3/4 mile away and are not likely to attract much transit ridership; certainly not in a single rush since football crowds come in over time. Most exiting riders will take shuttle buses which has the effect of metering traffic.

Contrast this to the alignment down Prairie Blvd. which Mayor Butts pleaded MTA to select but was voted down so as to take advantage of an existing right of way through nowhere. This would have required longer trains and ideally better facilities.

redspork02 liked this post
pesto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2017, 12:23 AM   #2727
pesto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfas View Post

I am not sure if it is due to the way they are counting but those numbers, also the ones from NYC, seem quite low to me. Did they include transfers in those numbers or only proper start/end of journeys from those stations?

U1/U3 Stephansplatz in Vienna has 230 000 boardings + transfers per working day. A city of about 2 mio inhabitants beating a metropolis of around 9 mio which is famed for its subway network? Moreover, while 7th street /Metro feels clearly less frequented than Stephansplatz, I can not really say the same about Times Square. Maybe the cramped nature of many of the New Yorker subway stations make them feel more frequented than they actually are? On the contrary, the rather spacious design of LA's stations work the other way round.

In either case, credit where credit is due. the highest frequency outside of NYC is certainly a big achievement.
I too find that difficult to believe. No doubt it's the busiest LA station but it doesn't have the nearly the feel of frantic activity of the major NY stations.

As for Vienna vs. NY, it might be a better comparison to compare their top 20 stations.
Old October 5th, 2017, 06:09 PM   #2728
redspork02

Likes (Received): 806

TUNNEL BUILDER ARTICLE

Purple Line Extension TBM art and naming contest announced

09/11/2017

Quote:
The Metro (Metropolitan Transportation Authority) in Los Angeles, is inviting students from kindergarten through to 12th grade to participate in an art and naming contest for the two TBMs that will dig the twin subway tunnels to connect three underground stations of Section 1 of the Purple Line Extension in Los Angeles. The TBM Art and Naming contest will run until the 15.10.2017.

The Purple Line Extension will extend the subway from its current terminus at Wilshire/Western Station in Koreatown for 14.5 km (9 miles) to Westwood with 7 new stations to be constructed in 3 phases: Wilshire/La Brea, Wilshire/Fairfax, Wilshire/La Cienega (Section 1); Wilshire/Rodeo, Century City/Contellation (Section 2); Westwood/UCLA and Westwood/Veterans Administration (VA) Hospital (Section 3).

The Purple Line Extension Transit Project Section 1 is under construction using a combination of TBM and an open-cut methods. The two TBMs, to be named, will be used to dig two parallel tunnels that will connect three new stations between Koreatown and Beverly Hills, travelling under Wilshire Boulevard. Each tunnel will take approximately 24 months to complete.

The TBMs will dig side by side starting at Wilshire/La Brea in the Miracle Mile section of Los Angeles and continue towards Wilshire/Western in Koreatown. Then they will be disassembled for transporting back to Wilshire/La Brea and then reassembled for the last leg of their journey through Wilshire/Fairfax and finishing at Wilshire/La Cienega in Beverly Hills. The TBMs will start work in Summer 2018 after they have been assembled and tested. Click here for tunnelbuilder archive. Visit https://www.metro.net/projects/purpl...extension-tbm/. 37/17.

METRO THE SOURCE

Quote:
The two Tunnel Boring Machines (TBMs) for the Purple Line Extension Transit Project Section 1 will be used to dig two parallel tunnels that will connect three new stations betwen Koreatown and Beverly Hills.

The TBMs will dig side by side starting at Wilshire/La Brea in the Miracle Mile section of Los Angeles and continue towards Wilshire/Western in Koreatown. Then they will be disassembled for transporting back to Wilshire/La Brea and then reassembled for the last leg of their journey through Wilshire/Fairfax and finishing at Wilshire/La Cienega in Beverly Hills.

When will they start work?

The TBMs will start work in Summer 2018 after they have been assembled and tested.

Students K- 12 – Enter our contests!
THE PURPLE LINE EXT TWITTER ACCOUNT......HERE.
THE PURPLE LINES TBMs TWITTER ACCOUNT......HERE

IT'S TIME FOR DODGER BASEBALL!!

dimlys1994 liked this post

Last edited by redspork02; October 5th, 2017 at 06:15 PM.
redspork02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2017, 06:06 AM   #2729
pudgym29
Monster Raving Loony

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesto View Post
"At first simply disguising themselves as Amish tourists kept suspicion away from them. But as the toll of disemboweled bodies continued to mount they eventually had to avoid any place where they might stand out or be noticed. Hollywood Boulevard was the ideal solution."
I think I saw this movie at Cinema Wasteland in suburban Cleveland!
pudgym29 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2017, 06:12 AM   #2730
pesto

Quote:
Originally Posted by pudgym29 View Post
I think I saw this movie at Cinema Wasteland in suburban Cleveland!
Hey, that's where I got the idea!
Old October 22nd, 2017, 10:26 PM   #2731
mensolú

Likes (Received): 217

Quote:
As a matter of fact, it seems I was the bad bully guy only suggesting the use, in an international SSC subforum, of generally worldwide recognized technical terminology as a base for our (my) statements; while your definitions of terms and standards - from the white knight who stands as a champion of words' true meaning in both LA common use and English language - aren't matching even the Country's official ones. As we 'd say where I'm from, it's “il bue che dà del cornuto all'asino” (the ox which say: «you're horned» to the donkey): I know it's idiomatic, and thus “not allowed on this thread”, but I'm pretty sure it would be fairly understandable in Los Angeles too.
I suppose "The ox which say: 'You're horned' to the donkey" is the Italian version of "The pot calling the kettle black". Phew!
mensolú no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2017, 06:25 PM   #2732
etooley1985

Likes (Received): 310

Regional Connector video: Storm drain demolition under 2nd Street in DTLA

Regional Connector video: Storm drain demolition under 2nd Street in DTLA

dimlys1994, redspork02 liked this post
etooley1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2017, 01:24 AM   #2733
etooley1985

Touring the Regional Connector

Thanks for stopping by the project today, Mayor Garcetti and New Orleans Mayor Mitch Landrieu. From the Regional Connector Facebook page.

Old November 9th, 2017, 06:15 PM   #2734
redspork02

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperydog View Post
LA Plans!

gaab1972, fskobic liked this post
Old November 9th, 2017, 06:30 PM   #2735
redspork02

METRO SOURCE ARTICLE
Video: what our transit system will look like in 2028
by Steve Hymon , November 8, 2017

This map shows the projects that will be built under Measure M, including several in the next decade.

Old November 10th, 2017, 05:50 PM   #2736
etooley1985

Utility Problems Set Back Downtown LA Subway Project by a Year

Utility Problems Set Back Downtown LA Subway Project by a Year
NBC News Los Angeles

A Los Angeles subway project designed to link three rail lines in downtown Los Angeles will open a year later than expected, according to transit officials.
The new opening date for Metro's ambitious Regional Connector is December 2021, six months after the deadline established by federal officials and a year after the agency's target date of December 2020, the Los Angeles Times reported. The opening date shift will not affect federal funding for the project, which totals about $830 million, Metro officials told the Times.

"We still have four years to go," project manager Gary Baker said in remarks reported by The Times. "But I'm confident that we'll be able to successfully meet our schedule."

Construction work should reach the halfway point early next year, he added.

Crews have encoutered setback beneath the streets of downtown Los Angeles, including utility problems, such as aging water pipes and fragile utility lines. The utilities needed reinforcement before digging could begin for the subway project, leading to delays.

The Regional Connector's $1.75 billion budget is 28 percent higher than originally forecast.

The proposed line will be 1.9 miles long and include two light-rail tunnels between Union Station and the 7th Street/Metro Center stop in the Financial District. The Blue, Gold and Expo lines will be converted to two routes that will allow passengers to ride from Santa Monica to East Los Angeles, and from Azusa to Long Beach, without transferring.

The plan calls for three new stations at First Street and Central Avenue (Little Tokyo/Arts District Station), Second Streets and Broadway (Historic Broadway Station) and Second Place and Hope Street (Grand Avenue Arts/Bunker Hill Station).

The tunnels are expected to boost rail ridership by 17,000 trips a day and shave as much as 20 minutes from some journeys.

Slideshow

dimlys1994, redspork02 liked this post
etooley1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2017, 09:47 PM   #2737
NCT
Not Cwite There

Likes (Received): 1700

Quote:
<snip **** retentive stuff that means that LRT must fit your definition>
Given the context of the discussion is about capacity and build cost, and as far as I can see the context is everyone's post is clear regardless of the terms used, I fail to see any value in agonising over definitions.

In truth unless you need to squeeze every last drop of capacity out of the system and have a particular need for speed, then the 'heaviness' of the technology almost doesn't matter. Given the cost advantage of light systems it's not surprising they are favoured in many places. Even if the orange line is in tunnel most of the time, if there is no genuine capacity concern then there isn't much wrong with a light solution.

If both issues are a concern then light technology will certainly place limitations. Frequency and headway is a signalling issue that isn't dependent upon light or heavy rail. Human factors are what ultimately limit train frequencies - speed of boarding, dispatch safety requirements, and acceptable acceleration/deceleration rates.

Given light technology tends to be used when there are tight curves or street running, light systems tend to have a bogie design that limit top speed.

Back to the topic of Los Angeles, given the sheer size of the city and the huge distances involved, I do find it a bit puzzling that light technology is so in fashion. It's almost as if people are resigned to the fact they will never achieve serious modal shift?
Old November 13th, 2017, 01:19 AM   #2738
sotonsi

I think it is, in part, due to the initial Blue line not quite being fully segregated and having initially used LRT tech to save some money, staying on it because HRT costs a lot more and there's a need for rapid expansion so cheap-as-possible lines with flexible technology that allows for money-saving solutions that can be ironed out later (eg street running that's then replaced with tunnel) is a really good idea.

What is more worrying is the low frequency levels on all routes - that conveys the lack of faith in the system to achieve serious modal shift.

fskobic liked this post
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2017, 07:41 PM   #2739
redspork02

TWIN Boring Machines on their WAY <--- Article Link

Quote:
Manufactured by Herrenknecht in Schwanau, Germany the two tunnel boring machines that will dig the twin tunnels for the Purple Line Extension are currently on their way to America. They weigh 1,000 tons each and will be shipped on two cargo vessels, the Palabora and the Integrity, later this month.

Fabouninou, dimlys1994 liked this post

Tags
los angeles