daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine
Old February 23rd, 2005, 06:19 PM   #1
Ara

Likes (Received): 0

Need your input

One of my greatest dream is to enhance our drama talents. If you look at the movies being released in our country, many of them are crap. There are good actors and actresses out there, they just need a proper venue to showcase their talents. One of my dream is to obtain the license for the Andrew Lloyd Webber's play The Phantom of the Opera. From here, I would love to see an all Indonesian cast with the entier orchestra also made from Indonesian. Not only that, I would also love to get the stage designers (albeit, they will have to use the designs already used in other plays) also from Indonesia.

My question is, since I've been out of the country for too long, how receptive is the Jakarta crowd to musical plays? Will they actually come out and support incentives like this?

Sponsored Links

Old February 23rd, 2005, 08:22 PM   #2
Fir3blaze
Fir3blaze

Likes (Received): 4

Hi Ara, that's nice. I'm not sure how it works out there, I thought the license for plays like The Phantom of the Opera is handed only to one particular group?

I personally think that performing arts in Indonesia is still largely under-developed. We tend to be more aware of other art forms like painting and musical works. I personally have never watch any play in Indonesia before.

As far as i know, there's quite a number of theatrical groups (i don't know what you call them ), but I'm not sure of how's the public response on their performances.

If you do set out to hold such performances in Indonesia, I think one good way to promote it is to schools (SMU, Universitas, etc). I believe that nurturing art appreciation should start from young.
Fir3blaze no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2005, 08:42 PM   #3
Ara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fir3blaze
Hi Ara, that's nice. I'm not sure how it works out there, I thought the license for plays like The Phantom of the Opera is handed only to one particular group?
The license is held by the publishing house. In this case, it's held by a company called Really Usefull Group. That company happen to be owned by Sir Lloyd Webber himself. In essence, you are paying for the rights to put on the performance in a particular country. The cost of the license depends on who will be putting on the play. I believe that because Indonesia has an under developed performing arts, and the publicity they can get out of this, I will be able to negotiate a cheap cost for the license. An easier way is to try to get the touring company to stop in Indonesia (incidently, there is one touring China right now. They are made up of the South African cast of the Phantom of the Opera. I saw the play in Pretoria and they were marvelous) However, that will do nothing to nurture the arts in Indonesia. This is why I would like to get an all out Indonesian cast and crew.

As for starting them young, I know that in Broadway, they always set aside seats for students. They also have programs which encouraged students to enter the arts.
Old February 24th, 2005, 07:58 AM   #4
Alvin

Likes (Received): 26

I support your efforts, Ara. Incidentally, I saw the production of the Phantom whilst in Shanghai last month, it was excellent!
Alvin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2005, 08:22 AM   #5
sanhen
Urban Monk

Likes (Received): 2

Hmmm
How much the tickets in China?
I love performing arts.
Any many other Indonesians do.
But how much the tix will be in Indonesia?
Will it be too expensive for Indonesian?
sanhen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2005, 08:31 AM   #6
Alvin

of course a production like that would be targeted to the relatively well off. The tickets in China costed from RMB200-600 I think (1RMB = Rp1200)
Old February 24th, 2005, 01:29 PM   #7
Ara

It will definately be costly for your original Indonesia. The ticket prices in South Africa for Phantom depend on the days. Tuesday to Thursday, the price was at R140 to R340. Friday and Saturday, R150 to R350. Matinee shows: Saturday and sunday R100 to R300. R1 = Rp.1,600. So, if you translate it into Rupiah, the price tickets will go from Rp160,000 to Rp560,000.
Old February 24th, 2005, 02:01 PM   #8
David-80
Le Nozze di Figaro...

I think the reception will be good as long its not that expensive for the locals.

Ara, have you tried contacting teater koma? they got plenty of talents there.
Anyway Jakarta now have some kind of opera house in Plaza semanggi, i cant recalled whats the name of it, graha something.

cheers
Old February 24th, 2005, 02:13 PM   #9
sanhen
Urban Monk

I think 160,000 is ok for watching a play like phantom of the opera.
watching a movie in theathre at jakarta can cost that much. and its not a live performance
For me, I am willing to pay up to 250,000 for a live play.
I paid about 60 bucks to watch Mammamia back at princess theatre years ago.
so yeah.. i think this kind of show is for mid to upper class Indonesian.
Old February 24th, 2005, 02:33 PM   #10
Ara

Thanks for your contribution guys. I've map out the direction which I will need to go:

(1) Start talking to RUG about licensing POTO. Find out from the company about the overall production. How big will the cast and crew will be. Logistic in creating the sets, etc.
(2) Once we get the information, look for the venue that can accomodate the play. Looking at around 2,000 to 3,000 seaters. This way, we can try to reduce the cost while increasing the revenue. David, do you know how big Graha is?
(3) Get all the numbers together and create a business plan.
(4) Find investors
(5) Maybe it's better if I get a well known director so investors would be more comfortable when they invest in the play.
(6) Hire the necessary supervisors and manager

From here on is where the production of the play get started. Hiring out a venue for the audition and rehearsels. Acquire the necassry cast members and start creating the set. Publicity will also start as soon as the cast members have been decided.

What do you guys think?

ETA: If I can pull this off, you guys need to give me your address and I'll send you guys complimentary tickets for the launch gala and the opening night.
Old February 24th, 2005, 02:48 PM   #11
David-80
Le Nozze di Figaro...

Graha Balai sarbini, thats the name of it. its located in Plaza semanggi. its purely designed for opera/theatre venue, 1st in Jakarta. I think it can hold up to more than 2000.

The last events held in Balai sarbini (that i know)

1. the final of Indonesian idol
2. Miss Indonesia 2005

But if thats not enough....Bung Karno stadium or even JHCC are ready !

I think thats good idea ara. I fully support it.

cheers
Old February 24th, 2005, 03:06 PM   #12
Ara

Quote:
Originally Posted by David-80
Graha Balai sarbini, thats the name of it. its located in Plaza semanggi. its purely designed for opera/theatre venue, 1st in Jakarta. I think it can hold up to more than 2000.

The last events held in Balai sarbini (that i know)

1. the final of Indonesian idol
2. Miss Indonesia 2005

But if thats not enough....Bung Karno stadium or even JHCC are ready !

I think thats good idea ara. I fully support it.

cheers
Last time I went to Bung Karno was for the Mick Jagger's concert back in the 80s.

When I come hom sometime in april, I'll have to visit all the venues and take pictures. I've look around the web and the JCC is one option. it can accomodate 2,500 people. Also look at Gedung Kesenian Jakarta. That is a buetifull building, but I believe it'll be too small for a production this big.

Thanks for the suggestion for Graha Balai David.

If we go according to other production of plays like this, at minimum, we need the show to go for at least 1 month. Playing every day except for Monday (they need to rest and the costumes need to be dry cleaned. Possible 5 a sec promotion here )
Old February 24th, 2005, 05:10 PM   #13
Fir3blaze
Fir3blaze

Wow Ara, seems like you're already making your first steps! That's good to hear. Btw, the ticket prices that you quoted are the pricing in South Africa, right? If you're holding it with an all Indonesian cast, would it be possible for ticket prices to be lower?

I'm not very familiar with pricing of such performances, but personally I think Rp. 500,000 for a ticket is too expensive. My consideration is that if assuming you watch such show with your boy/girl friend, that would cost the two of you a total of Rp. 1 juta to watch!! Oh, and since you want to encourage younger audience to watch, maybe give generous discounts for students to watch on weekdays (or at odd timings).

@those who're in Jakarta, how much is a movie ticket? What about concert tickets? FYI, in surabaya one movie ticket costs around Rp. 30,000.
Old February 24th, 2005, 05:46 PM   #14
sanhen
Urban Monk

I remember back in 1994/95 there was Vivian Chou (a big HK artist at that time) concert in HaiLai and the tix cost 500,000. Rupiah still strong. So its bloody expensive. But it was a one time show only. And still packed with people.
Old February 24th, 2005, 11:33 PM   #15
Ara

Update: I've just e-mailed RUG about licensing the play for Indonesia. I'll find out sometime next week. Wish me luck guys.

Here are some stats which will, unfortunately, will force the production house to keep the play a little expensive:

There are 130 cast, crew and orchestra members directly involved in each performance.

Each performance has 230 costumes, 14 dressers, 120 automated cues, 22 scene changes, 281 candles and uses 250 kg of dry ice and 10 fog and smoke machines.
The touring production takes 27 articulated lorries to transfer the set between theatres.

Fir3blaze, how receptive will people in Surabaya be for this kind of production? If it goes well in Jakarta, I would like to have it tour Surabaya and Denpasar.
Old February 25th, 2005, 01:56 PM   #16
Fir3blaze
Fir3blaze

I think the level of interest in Surabaya and Jakarta should be similar. The ability to pay for the ticket is surely higher in Jakarta than Surabaya. AFAIK, there is no proper theatre to showcase such performances. You may want to try the currently-under-construction Jatim Expo building .

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=107188

Ara, regarding pricing i think it depends on how many people are you looking to attract during the entire period you'll be holding the show. I personally think that reasonable ticket price is in the Rp.100,000 (cheapest) - Rp.400,000 (most expensive), with majority of the tickets sold in the Rp.100,000 - Rp.250,000 price range.

Oh, and I think Bali is a wonderful place to hold the show. Not only that there are plenty of (Dollar paying) foreign tourists there, I also think that the Balinese appreciate art better than most Indonesians.

Last edited by Fir3blaze; February 25th, 2005 at 02:01 PM.
Old February 26th, 2005, 03:00 PM   #17
Ara

Look like POTO is on hold for now. They aren't giving the license away this year. However, there are other options which I found. Which of these shows would do well, in your opinions:

Disney's Beauty And The Beast
Annie
Les Misérables
Little Shop Of Horrors
Sound of Music
Old February 26th, 2005, 03:30 PM   #18
sanhen
Urban Monk

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Beauty and the Beast will be a sell out in Jakarta
Sound of Music and Les Miserables sounds good also.
But definetely Beauty and The Beast first.
Old February 26th, 2005, 03:35 PM   #19
Alvin

My only concern about having it in Bali is that most tourists (both international and domestic) don't go to Bali to watch these western performances, they're interested in Balinese culture. So definitely, I think jakarta would be your first stop, and then depending on what kind of reception you get, decide whether to 'expand' to other cities.

I'd go for Sound of Music, and then Beauty and the BEast. They're the ones that are most likely to have the greatest mainstream appeal IMO. Les Miserables is probably third.

In terms of ticket price, my feeling would be between Rp150,000 and Rp 600,000 would be reasonable and affordable for Jakarta's substantial mid-upper class.
Old February 26th, 2005, 03:56 PM   #20
Fir3blaze
Fir3blaze

Hey, Sound of Music will be very interesting i think. Disney's Beauty and the Beast will win on the "brand" name. Like every kid will cry n beg their parents to watch the Beauty and the Beast, since the story is familiar to most kids nowadays. The sound of music is relatively less known, but if you manage to market it well, that should be the better show.