search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Local Projects & Discussions > Western Australia

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 27th, 2016, 10:26 AM   #14121
desperaterobots
Full of nukey goodness

Likes (Received): 1087

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanj View Post
every day it's closed but nearly complete ia another day where a fair bit of capital and ongoing rent/or loss of potential rent has gone out the door with nothing coming in the other way.

there are definitely advantages to launching around now too as it will give Gusto a chance to work through the inevitable issues without pressures of a massive crowd all dau
True, for the landlord. It's not Gusto's fault their building isn't finished and it's not peak icecream season, so I wouldn't have thought stocking, staffing and paying for utilities / rent on an unfinished property while a couple of people brave the cold for a $5 scoop in a takeaway container would really balance the scales.

Unless Gusto are the builders/owners...?
desperaterobots no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 29th, 2016, 06:07 AM   #14122
buddha3211
Conform Or Be Cast Out

Likes (Received): 1061

https://www.mediastatements.wa.gov.a...beth-Quay.aspx

Quote:
Australian-first performance at Elizabeth Quay
Wednesday, 29 June 2016
  • UK group brings fire-breathing spider to WA for Perth exclusive
  • Three shows and two community open days to be staged in November
  • Local musicians to join international stars on stage
  • First performance of unique Noongar dance in more than a century
A 50-tonne, fire-breathing spider will land at Elizabeth Quay this November for three exclusive shows, in an Australian-first by award-winning UK performance group Arcadia Spectacular.

Premier and Tourism Minister Colin Barnett announced the Perth performances today and said the shows would help put Perth in the global spotlight.

"Nothing like this has been seen in Australia before and it is a great coup for Western Australia to host this breathtaking cultural spectacle," Mr Barnett said.

"The staging of The Giants and the growth of the Perth International Arts Festival and FRINGE WORLD, which was recognised as the third largest Fringe Festival in the world, have helped build Perth's reputation as an international cultural event destination.

"The performances by Arcadia will further cement this reputation, and the media exposure will give us the opportunity to show the rest of world how our magnificent city is transforming."

The Arcadia Spectacular shows, presented by The Event Agency, combine theatre, circus, music, aerial performance, robotics and pyrotechnics. Artists perform in the spider's 'stomach' with the audience standing under and around the structure.

Culture and the Arts Minister John Day said the shows would include a performance of Yallorr Keeninyarra (Dance of the Wadjuk Nyungar people) lead by Noongar representative Barry McGuire.

"The dance calls on the Spider Spirit to weave a web of strength and togetherness for the men who gathered for traditional ceremonies at Gumap or Elizabeth Quay," Mr Day said.

"It is the first time the dance has been performed traditionally in front of the West Australian public since 1901."

The Premier said the Liberal National Government was proud to support the Arcadia Spectacular shows through Tourism WA, the Department of Culture and the Arts and Metropolitan Redevelopment Authority.

"Local musicians will have the opportunity to be part of this once in a lifetime experience and perform on the same bill as some of the biggest names in music," Mr Barnett said.

Fact File
  • The Arcadia Spectacular shows will be performed on November 25, 26 and 27, 2016 with community open days on November 23 and 24
  • Headline acts to be announced on July 6 with general public tickets on sale from July 7. Prices start at $99
  • Free family and community activities are planned during the daytime
  • For more information, visit http://www.arcadiaaustralia.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

thewallpart6, BartBart, samboy, PD, andrewM and 3 others liked this post
buddha3211 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2016, 06:25 AM   #14123
desperaterobots
Full of nukey goodness

holy f~u~c~kay

that is awesome.
Old June 29th, 2016, 08:57 AM   #14124
objectivist

Likes (Received): 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by desperaterobots View Post
holy f~u~c~kay

that is awesome.

Maybe, but it would have been even more awesome if they spent that money and built a new hospital.

olio gris, magmamo liked this post
objectivist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2016, 09:00 AM   #14125
BartBart
In the sweetspot

Likes (Received): 1585

How many Carnabys is that thing going to kill?

vic-k liked this post
BartBart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2016, 10:41 AM   #14126
andrewM
AndrewM

Likes (Received): 77

Cool. Looks like a war of the worlds alien machine

Skyline Art liked this post
andrewM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2016, 05:49 AM   #14127
Bayne86

Likes (Received): 10

Is it just me or does it feel like every year we are very quickly advancing and perpetuating ourselves into a world filled with these harsh post-apocalypic, dystopian, sci-fi realities? All these robots and gadgets and modes of transport and architecture is all starting to feel very bleak-futuristic-movie coming to life stuff.
Bayne86 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2016, 06:10 AM   #14128
objectivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayne86 View Post
Is it just me or does it feel like every year we are very quickly advancing and perpetuating ourselves into a world filled with these harsh post-apocalypic, dystopian, sci-fi realities? All these robots and gadgets and modes of transport and architecture is all starting to feel very bleak-futuristic-movie coming to life stuff.
This has always been a common theme in story telling, I don't think it is anymore common now than it has been in the past.

desperaterobots liked this post
Old June 30th, 2016, 09:01 AM   #14129
hack404

Likes (Received): 809

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayne86 View Post
The future is now.
Old June 30th, 2016, 10:06 AM   #14130
Bayne86

Quote:
Originally Posted by hack404 View Post
The future is now.
It sure is.

Yet it kind of amuses me how most of us just accept it like it's not freaking weird at all.

We're so conditioned so easily. I like to step to the side and just go "seriously? this is mental."

I agree with objectivist that this has been a common theme amongst storytelling and how reality and fiction converge etc....but with technology and the speed at which stuff is changing these days...its kind of unprecedented, don't you think?

I'm off on a tangent, but I'd be remiss not to voice my thoughts lol
Old June 30th, 2016, 11:00 AM   #14131
objectivist

I certainly agree that people quickly take technology for granted and don't realise the exponential growth that is occuring.
Old June 30th, 2016, 11:10 AM   #14132
desperaterobots
Full of nukey goodness

The speed of change is pretty stunning when you look back, but if you had seen my mum the first time she skyped me from England (shock, crying, disbelief that lasted literally months) I think a lot of people still find technology pretty exciting.

I sure do!
Old June 30th, 2016, 11:21 AM   #14133
Bayne86

Quote:
Originally Posted by desperaterobots View Post
The speed of change is pretty stunning when you look back, but if you had seen my mum the first time she skyped me from England (shock, crying, disbelief that lasted literally months) I think a lot of people still find technology pretty exciting.

I sure do!
If they do (and honestly, I don't doubt that MOST people do) they sure keep it nice and hidden and pull up a cool "what's-the-big-deal?" facade when they're around me....

I'm only 29 (I almost typed 30, gotta hang on to those last few days!!) and to think back when I was in high school that we'd have the stuff we do today would have almost been too much to even comprehend. I don't know, maybe I'm just a luddite!
Old July 11th, 2016, 11:24 AM   #14134
BartBart
In the sweetspot

Likes (Received): 1585

Supposedly the takeaway coffee open in FloHum. Dine-in not open yet.

Tags
brisbane, mandurahboyz, perth