search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Irish Architecture Forum > Transport and Infrastructure

Transport and Infrastructure For projects and construction across the island of Ireland

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average.
Old September 21st, 2017, 11:18 PM   #181
Wilderbeast

Likes (Received): 2072

Quote:
Originally Posted by marno21 View Post
TII have reactivated the N2 Clontibret to the Border scheme bypassing Monaghan and Emyvale.

They are also starting a new project to dual the N2 between Ardee and Castleblayney.

Leo seems fairly committed to the new road to Derry/Donegal.
A very big project.

Without timelines, start dates, budgets - I'd treat announcements or plans on this scale with a grain of salt.

Comes from bitter experience....
Wilderbeast no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 22nd, 2017, 01:15 AM   #182
marno21

Likes (Received): 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilderbeast View Post
A very big project.

Without timelines, start dates, budgets - I'd treat announcements or plans on this scale with a grain of salt.

Comes from bitter experience....
Last month, both schemes were officially dead. Now both are alive again. They are as active as they can be given the stage in the process they are at.

They can't decide to dual Ardee-Castleblaney on a Monday and have diggers on the ground the following day.
marno21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2017, 09:28 AM   #183
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 2042

After Claregalway retires next week my next priority bottlenecks to get into planning, on the national network, and other than Galway City, are:

1. Adare. Nearing ABP
2. Tipp Town. Talk but no cash.
3. Killarney. Nothing.
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2017, 12:13 PM   #184
marno21

Adare apparently going to ABP in Q4 2017. Will be a fantastic scheme when done.

Ross has mentioned in the Dail that TII are interested in starting a new N24 Limerick Junction-Cahir scheme, but as it has to go through the motions again it'll be years before we see it. Being able to go from Limerick Junction to the far side of Cahir in 20 minutes would be unbelievable.

As for Killarney, we will have to suffer on for another 10 years at least by the sounds of things.

As for other bottlenecks...
A tender for procurement of consultants for a construction tender was put out this week for the Macroom bypass, which usually means that a construction tender will be out in the next 6/7 months or so. Hopefully early 2019 start.

Still nothing on Abbeyfeale, Newcastlewest, Killeagh, Castlemartyr, Mallow, Clonmel, Inishannon, Bandon, Cork (north)
Old September 24th, 2017, 05:03 PM   #185
Wilderbeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponge_bob View Post
After Claregalway retires next week my next priority bottlenecks to get into planning, on the national network, and other than Galway City, are:

1. Adare. Nearing ABP
2. Tipp Town. Talk but no cash.
3. Killarney. Nothing.
Dunno Sponge; the M/N11 past Bray/Kilmac is pretty grim every day; and getting grimmer. Probably more total delay here than in the three above combined.
Old September 25th, 2017, 01:23 AM   #186
sponge_bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilderbeast View Post
Dunno Sponge; the M/N11 past Bray/Kilmac is pretty grim every day; and getting grimmer. Probably more total delay here than in the three above combined.
You are right of course but I never go near that place.

And widening is much cheaper than offline new build and very fast to progress through planning with none of the eco shite and serial snail counting that we have to put up with down here.

The Glen of the Downs, in fairness, is not a priority yet, only all the M/N11 north of it. That will be fun when it comes up in 10 years,latest.

Planning for a Killarney bypass will take years and will attract every deranged eco nutter in Ireland to howl their chicken licken schlock ....Adare was kyboshed by the SAC on the river at its east before and as for Tipp, I don't know.

So I want them in planning now and built soon as...knowing soon as is anything but soon enough.
Old September 25th, 2017, 11:55 PM   #187
Wilderbeast

I suppose we must see how many hours IT-reading commuters must lose per day before those Pillars of the System decide that enough is enough of the facilitation of the eco-nutters
Old September 29th, 2017, 01:39 PM   #188
sponge_bob

Further to my analysis here I would like to announce that 3 further N Road schemes are urgently required.

1. The N83 Claregalway Bypass.
2. The N84 Dualling ( Galway to Clonboo)

and

3. The N67 Clarinbridge Bypass ( or N67 Kilcolgan-Oranmore Dualling)
Old September 29th, 2017, 10:16 PM   #189
marno21

Quote:
Further to my analysis here I would like to announce that 3 further N Road schemes are urgently required.

1. The N83 Claregalway Bypass.
2. The N84 Dualling ( Galway to Clonboo)

and

3. The N67 Clarinbridge Bypass ( or N67 Kilcolgan-Oranmore Dualling)
No. There is a Claregalway bypass, called the M17, and a Clarinbridge bypass, called the M18

If people in Parkmore want to build houses out in the countryside and commute every day, then fine. They can suffer the consequences. Build the Galway bypass and let that be the finish of it. Dualling the N67, N83 or N84 would be madness and only further encourage this rubbish.

Deedsie, geogregor liked this post
Old September 30th, 2017, 01:47 AM   #190
sponge_bob

Quote:
Build the Galway bypass and let that be the finish of it. Dualling the N67, N83 or N84 would be madness and only further encourage this rubbish.
Be that as it may ....it appears from initial analysis that these three schemes will be needed and indeed I ALWAYS said that the Claregalway Bypass would be needed anyway. Its just that I thought that Claregalway would be served by an R Road by now...and not by the N83.

I would point out that the N83 through Claregalway is busier than the N21 through Newcastle West and that the N67 through Clarinbridge is busier than the N21 through Abbeyfeale, 2 perennial favourites of yours.

But we live in hope that the locals might adjust their traffic patterns a tad more by monday so I will revisit this matter anon!
Old September 30th, 2017, 01:50 AM   #191
sotonsi

delete me

Last edited by sotonsi; September 30th, 2017 at 01:52 AM. Reason: duplicate
sotonsi está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2017, 01:51 AM   #192
sotonsi

Quote:
No. There is a Claregalway bypass, called the M17, and a Clarinbridge bypass, called the M18
The problem is getting people to use the new motorway, rather than the old roads.

The carrot of it being faster by motorway isn't there, because the motorway is so far east of Galway that it is a long way round. That means a stick to make it slower by the old route. So no Claregalway bypass, but instead Claregalway traffic-calming. I don't think that will go down well!

Tweaking the road numbers might help a little - the N83 extension is absurd (if you had to have a N road stay going through Claregalway, the N63 was there already) - but I doubt it would help much: locals and sat navs won't be easily fooled by signs.
sotonsi está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2017, 02:09 AM   #193
sponge_bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsi View Post
So no Claregalway bypass, but instead Claregalway traffic-calming. I don't think that will go down well!
That was done years ago with Bus lanes on the hard shoulders now and a 50kph zone around 4 - 4.5km long with c.1km of Claregalway village itself in the middle. All that is missing is average speed cameras.

I always said Claregalway needed a bypass ANYWAY, apart from the M17. I just did not expect it to be on an N Road by now.
Old October 1st, 2017, 12:50 AM   #194
marno21

Quote:
Be that as it may ....it appears from initial analysis that these three schemes will be needed and indeed I ALWAYS said that the Claregalway Bypass would be needed anyway. Its just that I thought that Claregalway would be served by an R Road by now...and not by the N83.

I would point out that the N83 through Claregalway is busier than the N21 through Newcastle West and that the N67 through Clarinbridge is busier than the N21 through Abbeyfeale, 2 perennial favourites of yours.

But we live in hope that the locals might adjust their traffic patterns a tad more by monday so I will revisit this matter anon!
Galway County Council were given free reign to design a new N17 from Tuam to Galway and a new N18 from Gort to Galway, and when the solution was appraised, 550 million was spent on it. They can't turn around and say that it doesn't work and they need a further 400m to dual some redundant national secondaries along with 600m for an outer bypass to facilitate a load of workers in Parkmore and Ballybrit

The N21 through Abbeyfeale and Newcastewest does not have a motorway a few km away. Either way, Abbeyfeale and Newcastlewest are more comparable to Claremorris and Tuam due to distance from the city.

The Galway bypass will improve figures when there is direct M6 HQ connection to Galway and beyond. But we can't be dualling the N67/N83/N84 to satisfy more commuters. It seems to me that the same people whose one off houses on the R339/N63 etc that mean that the M17/M18 is so far out should get another dual carriageway is ludicrous. Traffic calming measures and bus lanes should be put on the old road to drive traffic off it.

suasion, geogregor liked this post
Old October 1st, 2017, 04:11 PM   #195
sponge_bob

Quote:
. But we can't be dualling the N67/N83/N84 to satisfy more commuters.
Like it or not the continued growth in Galway in the last 4-5 years has led to increased pressure on accomodation and in many people who would LIKE to rent in Galway being forced to commute instead.

Naturally Bus ╔ireann have responded to increased commuting on rural routes by running more or less the same services as they did back in 1980.

The M17 and M18 were planned before large expansions in UCH hospital specialties by the HSE and ongoing NUIG expansion. Basically the economy has kept growing.

I had a further look at Friday traffic and it is the same pattern as Thursday TBH

The N84 is maxed out at 14000 AADT down from 15000 before the motorway opened.
The old N17 (now N83) is maxed out at 18000 AADT down from 24000
The old N18 (now N67) is maxed out at 14700 AADT down from 23300

and your suggestion on more bus lanes and a longer 50kph zone on the old N17 is well in hand and if that simple low cost linked suggestion were followed it would make buses far more desirable as a means of transport. I have no problem with that.

But the fact remains that Galway continued to grow since the motorway was planned and that actual road improvements are required on all the routes I mentioned and that is without reference to the R336 and N59 which are still within capacity ....just about and also the N17 north of Tuam which is also within capacity and that I said before should not be improved this side of 2025 bar bad bends north of Milltown. There is not much evidence right now that Mayo people are flocking to Dublin via the M17....a few 100 extra journeys a day maybe at this time.

I'd start with an NE quadrant bypass of Claregalway from the old N17 to the old N18...all at grade.....to see if that takes the heavy pressure off the old N17...bus lanes or no bus lanes....
Old October 2nd, 2017, 09:45 PM   #196
PeteC

Likes (Received): 629

The best short term, stopgap solution would be linking the M6 directly over to Parkmore. Not a full junction, just one that facilitates movements directly to/from Parkmore, thereby removing that traffic from the junctions on the N6 around the city and making the motorways more attractive than the national secondaries approaching the city.
PeteC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2017, 10:37 AM   #197
sponge_bob

Traffic on the Galway North approaches pre and post M17.

1 N84 on the Curragh Line.

Pre M17 13,200

Post M17 12,400

Result - 800. The N84 is still at capacity and will require dualling from the Galway Bypass to Clonboo.

2. N17 at Northern Entrance to Claregalway village at the very north end of the long Bus Lanes section.

Pre M17 22,000

Post M17 17,000

The N83 Claregalway Bypass is still urgently required.

While this all indicates that 5,800 AADT has disappeared, plus an unknown number of ratrunners on minor roads with bridges on the River Clare, the fact is that traffic on the northern approaches to Galway is still beyond the capacity of the road network. Accomodation shortages in Galway City have forced a whole lot of people to live further out...sometimes even in Mayo.

Traffic on the Galway South approaches pre and post M18.

3. N18 at southern approach to Clarinbridge Village.

Pre M18 20,400

Post M18 13,400

This indicates that more traffic has transferred over from the south (7,000 AADT) and that an N67 Clarinbridge Bypass may no longer be an urgent priority.

In the new capital plan the N83 Claregalway Bypass is clearly the urgent priority project and should be programmed. The Moycullen Bypass is simply not as important and the N84 dualling likely should be considered next.

There is evidence that traffic south of Gort and north of Tuam rose by 1000 AADT each and also east of Athenry. So that means some people are using the new motorway + M6 to get to Dublin from Mayo and Clare.

But the N17 is well within capacity from Tuam to Charlestown and is not an investment priority in the next 10 years other than a few bad bends north of Milltown.
Old October 9th, 2017, 08:24 PM   #198
marno21

Are you having a laugh?

We just spent €550m bypassing Clarinbridge and Claregalway. If people in the area don't like the new road then tough shit. The state has already funded the solution they have put forward and for some reason we still have to pay for upkeep of the old road.

Detrunk the N83 south of Tuam and let Galway County Council build their own ******* relief road if they want. Knowing them it'd be riddled with development and require a third bypass within years.

Galway County Council made the decision not to plough through houses on the R446/R339 and build a proper N17 and N18 replacement. They can suffer the consequences now.

The priority now for Galway is the N6 bypass. After that, add a junction with the R339 and R446 and let that be the finish of it. If the commuters want to use the new road then use it. Otherwise they can use the old road.

Deedsie, geogregor liked this post
Old October 9th, 2017, 10:50 PM   #199
sponge_bob

Claregalway merely needs an _at_ grade bypass...you evidently didn't hear it has a 1000 pupil secondary and an educate together school that did not exist 5 years ago.

It would still need it were it an R Road.
Old October 10th, 2017, 12:53 AM   #200
Wilderbeast

Quote:
you evidently didn't hear it has a 1000 pupil secondary and an educate together school that did not exist 5 years ago.
And the inhabitants of the Galway ribbon-development septic-tank-ridden suburbs should be encouraged to drive their sprogs to school - surely not?

Let them freeze in traffic jams.

I think what Marno is saying is that Galwegians should drown in the collective results of their own decisions.

Unlike us taxpayers

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: