daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 4th, 2005, 02:59 PM   #1
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18139

TAIWAN | High Speed Rail

Taiwan Govt Creates Task Force To Oversee High Speed Rail
4 October 2005

TAIPEI (Dow Jones)--The Taiwan government has created a task force to oversee a NT$480 billion project to build a high-speed rail system linking the cities of Taipei and Kaohsiung.

The task force, which will be led by Premier Frank Hsieh, plans to increase the government's number of seats on Taiwan High Speed Rail Corp.'s (2633.OT) 12-member board from the two it has now, Hsieh said in a statement Monday.

The Ministry of Transportation and Communications will work out a 'reasonable' number of seats for the government that corresponds with its 11.9% stake in Taiwan High Speed Rail, Hsieh said. The government controls the 11.9% stake directly and through companies in which it has a stake of over 50%.

Taiwan High Speed's shareholders will elect a new board in May 2006.

The government wants more control over the progress of the project and effective 'crisis management,' the premier said. The task force was created after the government-linked China Aviation Development Foundation and China Technical Consultants Inc. together injected NT$7.5 billion in Taiwan High Speed Rail, which was holding its latest fund-raising round.

The builder of the island's first bullet train has delayed fund-raising plans several times after it failed to commit its shareholders to provide more capital as scheduled.

'After the government helped raise money for the project, we want to oversee the entire project and ensure the train begins to operate next year,' said Executive Yuan Secretary-general Cho Jung-tai Tuesday.

'The government is our partner anyway, according to the original build-operate-transfer contract,' said Ted Chia, a public affairs assistant vice president of Taiwan High Speed Rail.

The task force, which will meet once every two weeks, will gather officials from the transport, finance, interior and other ministries.

The project's five founding shareholders combined now own a 28.5% stake. Of the founders, the largest shareholder, Continental Engineering Corp. (2526.TW), owns only 7.2% in the project.

According to Cho, the government plans to replace one of its current representative controllers on the board, Kuang-Yu Chang, with the deputy minister of the Directorate General of Budget, Accounting and Statistics, Yuh-Lin Lee.

Cho added that the government will assist the company to resolve its differences with Japan's Shinkansen consortium, which is responsible for the system's core electrical system. In September, Taiwan High Speed Rail said the service's launch will be delayed by a year to October 2006 because of delays in completing the electrical system.

The entire project is 86% completed, with the core electrical system behind schedule, the Cabinet said in Monday's statement. By the end of August, 63% of the core electrical system was complete, said Chia.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 30th, 2005, 02:21 PM   #2
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Taiwan Bullet Train Shoots Through 300km/h Speed Test

Taiwan's 'bullet train' shoots through speed test at 300 kph

TAIPEI, Oct 30 (AFP) - Taiwan's "bullet train" for the first time passed its targeted speed of 300 kilometers (180 miles) per hour in a test run, which investors said was a significant step forward in the delayed construction project.

The train was put through its paces Saturday on a 25-kilometer section of rail in southern Tainan county, Taiwan High-Speed Rail Corp (THSRC) said in a statement.

The 345-kilometer (215-mile) bullet train service will link the capital Taipei with the island's second city of Kaohsiung in the south.

Test runs began earlier this year, and the system, with trains running at an average speed of 300 kilometers an hour, is expected to transport 100 million passengers a year.

The railway system will be managed by the THSRC for 35 years before it is turned over to state control under the terms of the build-operate-transfer project, the largest of its kind in the world.

The deal is also important for Japan as it marks the first export of the "bullet train" outside Japan.

THSRC announced earlier this month that commercial operations of the 13.5 billion US dollar bullet train system, originally slated to begin operation on October 31, 2005, would be delayed for a year largely due to the lower-than-expected progress on the core system.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old October 30th, 2005, 07:47 PM   #3
SE9
South East Nine

Likes (Received): 61449

Thats great news!

I'm not so sure about the design though:

Old October 30th, 2005, 08:57 PM   #4
superchan7
EOS 40D

Likes (Received): 23

It looks better than the original N700 bullet train in Japan.
Old October 31st, 2005, 07:33 AM   #5
Skybean
天豆

Likes (Received): 271

Looks like a hotdog on a bun.
Old October 31st, 2005, 09:48 AM   #6
IshikawajimaHarima
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

excellent design.
IshikawajimaHarima no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2005, 10:05 AM   #7
Isan
อีสาน 東北府

Likes (Received): 4

High-speed railway of Taiwan

Train

BEAUTIFUL SIAM
Isan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2005, 12:08 AM   #8
mic of Orion
I come in peace \V/

Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybean
Looks like a hotdog on a bun.
lol,

It does sort of, lol...

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" Benjamin Franklin

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

"Religion leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to bigotry, bigotry leads to suffering!!!" Mic of Orion
mic of Orion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2005, 03:50 AM   #9
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Taiwan's 'bullet train' in first public test run at 300 kph

TAINAN, Taiwan, Nov 6 (AFP) - Premier Frank Hsieh and hundreds of guests and reporters rode Taiwan's "bullet train" Sunday in a public test run to seek support for the project, which is a year behind schedule.

The Japan-built train reached speeds of more than 300 kilometers per hour (187 mph) for around 25 kilometers on a 60-kilometer section of track in the southern counties of Tainan and Kaohsiung.

"I could hardly sleep last night when I thought of taking the high-speed train today...Now I'm really touched after having experienced the feeling of riding on a train at more than 300 kilometers per hour," Hsieh told reporters.

"This also showed the government's determination to support the high-speed rail project is correct," he said, referring to the investment of 7.5 billion Taiwan dollars (223.2 million US) by the government in the 440 billion dollar project.

The official move has sparked severe criticism of the nature of the build-operate-transfer (BOT) project, the largest of its kind in the world's railway industry.

In 1998 Taiwan High-Speed Rail Corporation (THSRC) won the contract to build the system. The corporation is to manage it for 35 years before it is turned over to state control.

In the same year Japan's Taiwan Shinkansen Consortium won a 3.0 billion US dollar contract to supply the core system -- trains and carriages as well as the signalling, electrification, communications and operation control systems.

In additional to financial problems, there have also been technical ones.

THSRC announced in September that the system, originally scheduled to begin operating in October 2005, would be delayed for a year.

As of the end of September the whole project was 89.7 percent completed, according to statistics released by THSRC.

The 345-kilometer (215-mile) bullet train service will link the capital Taipei with the island's second city of Kaohsiung in the south.

Test runs began earlier this year and the system, with trains running at an average speed of 300 kilometers an hour, is expected to transport 100 million passengers a year.

The deal is also important for Japan as it marks the first export of its "bullet train".

Old November 23rd, 2005, 04:02 AM   #10
stanford

Likes (Received): 0

stanford no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2005, 12:32 PM   #11
WotaN
in omnia paratus

Likes (Received): 157

What is this pic about? I mean, what is the purpose of keeping 7 train sets on a track one few meters from another?
WotaN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2005, 04:14 PM   #12
yoyoyo

Likes (Received): 2

TAIPEI Travel Net

Youth Travel in Taiwan

TAIWAN touch your heart
yoyoyo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2005, 04:33 PM   #13
Vapour

Likes (Received): 27

Great aerial picture I like the colours too ^ ^
Old November 29th, 2005, 07:44 PM   #14
Bitxofo
¡Viva el metro!

Location: Alderaan BCN BKK ATH PAR LON SYD SFO CPT TYO SCL CHC BUE SCG SVQ AGP BDN
Likes (Received): 3653

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanford
Wonderful photo!!
川添 Kawazoe (riverside) 海斗 Kaito (big dipper of the ocean), in Japanese.
Yo si la ciudad no tiene metro, como que no es gran ciudad y entonces ya paso de vivir allí. Norreport+12000
Bitxofo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2005, 08:41 PM   #15
staff
囧!

Location: Hong Kong | Singapore | Melbourne | Malmö | Copenhagen | Shanghai
Likes (Received): 717

Great!
Old November 30th, 2005, 12:53 AM   #16
allan_dude
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

amazing! anyway, are those superstructures earthquake safe?
allan_dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2006, 09:54 AM   #17
thyrdrail
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

TAIWAN HIGH SPEED SHINKANSEN TRAIN - ALMOST COMPLETED!!!

Opening in October. Almost there!!! Everything is just awesome - train design, colors, station designs, tracks, bridges, tunnels, and landscapes.

thyrdrail no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2006, 11:00 AM   #18
Vapour

Likes (Received): 27

Superb pictures!
Old June 28th, 2006, 11:11 AM   #19
Taipei Walker
心在臺灣

Likes (Received): 1254

Great pictures, awesome project.

Here's some info about the project (from SSP):
owner: Taiwan High Speed Rail Corporation
network: one trunk line from Taipei to Kaohsiung (345 km)
track construction: 73% viaduct (252 km), 18% tunnel (62 km), 9% at grade (31 km)
number of stations: 8
Taipei, Banciao, Taoyuan, Hsinchu, Taichung, Chiayi, Tainan, Kaohsiung
construction period: 2000 -
construction cost: US$ 16 billion

rolling stock: Taiwan Shinkansen 700T
manufacturers: Kawasaki, Nippon Sharyo, Hitachi
specs: modified body of the shinkansen 700 with the core system of the 500
design speed: 350 km/h
max operating speed: 300 km/h
signaling system: European standard

revenue service:
operating hours: 06:00 - 24:00
2006 target ridership: 148,000 per day
frequency: 10 min
max. economy fare: NT$3.459/km (US$.09/km), Taipei - Kaohsiung = US$35
trains per day: 88 in each direction
non-stop express (Taipei - Kaohsiung): 17 in each direction, 80 min
regular (Taipei - Kaohsiung): 120 min

official website:
http://www.thsrc.com.tw/en/index.asp

Route map:
Taipei Walker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2006, 03:48 PM   #20
Gatis

Likes (Received): 591

Cool! Sometimes the interference of this railway on landscape seems just brutal... but then I think - it itself is landscape value.