search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Philippine Forums > Around the Philippines > Transport, Urban Planning and Infrastructure > Highways and Roadways

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 21st, 2017, 09:18 AM   #6581
Magniko

Likes (Received): 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_w_stars View Post
May I ask is this number a lump sum amount to "decongest" Manila or for a specific project?
Someone did a cost breakdown long ago somewhere in this thread
I don't remember where, but it surely explained the price tag
Magniko no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 22nd, 2017, 01:38 AM   #6582
vmanato

Likes (Received): 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelo-- View Post
What made you think na sa BRT stations lang (or waiting sheds as you insist) gagastusin yung 37.8B?

Nakita mo na ba yung official project cost breakdown?
It is definitely overpriced for a series of waiting sheds. Comparatively, LRT 1 Cavite ext is only P30 billion. They're not gonna build roads or viaducts for this. Waiting shed is the best way to describe this bullcrap.

And Yuseco is asking for a big sum of money because he owns the patent for his stolen BRT idea. A patent he has been holding on, as he claims, since the year 1989. Exclusive rights to intellectual property aka patent granted in the Philippines only applies for 20 years, thus his patent expired in 2009.

There is an oversupply of buses on EDSA. Provincial buses must be relocated to their respective ITS terminals . CITY buses must be streamlined including removing colorums and revoking bus franchises that were born AFTER year 1999 due to bribery and corruption.

P37.8 billion pesos only to find out, after a couple of years, people of Metro Manila would wake up one morning realizing we just painted the buses Pink.
Old March 22nd, 2017, 01:50 AM   #6583
vmanato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magniko View Post
I see about as many provincial buses as city busses along EDSA
Bear in mind there's a crapton of provincial bus stations around Manila and most of them have to use EDSA to get to the expressways. Even if one bus use 24 hours to get to their destination, there are still thousands of provincial busses still in Manila causing traffic jams
Standing along EDSA for half an hour I could count provincial buses with my fingers, on the other han,d the only time I can't see city buses are the time I closed my eyes not because I deliberately did it but because my eyes needed to blink.

CITY BUSES make EDSA a hell hole. Must be streamlined to the maximum level possible.

Removing provincial buses compliments that.

s_w_stars liked this post
vmanato está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2017, 05:11 AM   #6584
Wolfranz
Seine Durchlaucht

Likes (Received): 418

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmanato View Post
Exclusive rights to intellectual property aka patent granted in the Philippines only applies for 20 years, thus his patent expired in 2009.

Can someone put this on prick Yuseco's face?
Old March 22nd, 2017, 05:32 AM   #6585
absinthe_888

Likes (Received): 3867

Boo's column today tackles the BRT issue

absinthe_888 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2017, 10:47 AM   #6586
nelo--

Likes (Received): 142

Quote:
It is definitely overpriced for a series of waiting sheds.

Where's your source that the EDSA BRT project which costs 37.8B is just a series of waiting sheds?

Wag puro dada. Source please.
nelo-- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2017, 11:29 AM   #6587
vmanato

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelo-- View Post
Where's your source that the EDSA BRT project which costs 37.8B is just a series of waiting sheds?

Wag puro dada. Source please.
And source mo na hindi?

Ganon naman lahat ng BRT ever seen a brt na may sports bar, massage salon and spas? Ticket machines pa lang kain na nya yung space. Ano ba gagawin ng tao sa BRT stations? Sasakay at bababa lang ng Bus bawal amg dinner date dyan.

Source: take a look at the median of EDSA. Ano pa ba ang kasya sa makitid na median EDSA ? Tennis court? more like table tennis or for the Chinese Yuseco Ping Pong.
Old March 22nd, 2017, 12:28 PM   #6588
absinthe_888

Likes (Received): 3867

Hindi pa ba kasama yung mga BRT-type buses dun sa "37.8B"?

chestersim liked this post
absinthe_888 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2017, 03:19 PM   #6589
badsector

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
And source mo na hindi?

Ganon naman lahat ng BRT ever seen a brt na may sports bar, massage salon and spas? Ticket machines pa lang kain na nya yung space. Ano ba gagawin ng tao sa BRT stations? Sasakay at bababa lang ng Bus bawal amg dinner date dyan.

Source: take a look at the median of EDSA. Ano pa ba ang kasya sa makitid na median EDSA ? Tennis court? more like table tennis or for the Chinese Yuseco Ping Pong.
So basically, you assumed kung saan gagastusin yung budget, then got mad with your assumption? Did I get it right?

nelo-- liked this post
badsector no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2017, 08:36 PM   #6590
vmanato

^ I wasn't mad to be honest and i'm not making assumptions out of thin air either. Some of my arguments are based on a JICA proposal published in the 90's about installing a BRT line on EDSA.

I used to have a hard copy of it but I lost it. Anyway, it says that the EDSA BRT line must be patterned with successful systems like those in Curitiba, Brazil.

This article on the Inquirer mentions it in passing:

http://opinion.inquirer.net/78804/to...ied-brt-system

A BRT station in Curitiba, Brazil. This system is rated GOLD in the BRT world standard:

Last edited by vmanato; March 22nd, 2017 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Posted wrong article LOL
vmanato está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2017, 04:14 AM   #6591
queetz@home
Philippine Forum Mod

Likes (Received): 2159

Quote:
Anyway, it says that the EDSA BRT line must be patterned with successful systems like those in Curitiba, Brazil.
Its not going to be patterned like the one from Curitiba, Brazil. In James Deakin's "The Service Road", the DOTr lady said it will be based on Mexico City's BRT...

source

As you can see, its not very fancy....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The best solution all over the world, time tested, safe, no pollution, is still the use of the train system." - Ms. Elvira Medina, Nat'l Center for Commuter Safety and Protection
queetz@home no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2017, 08:00 AM   #6592
kratos1211

Likes (Received): 189

Inquirer.net
Quote:
One of BRT’s staunchest supporters in government today is Robert Siy, DOTr’s senior adviser for planning said On Edsa, big changes are expected with the BRT, starting with the removal of the so-called yellow lane that public buses currently use. “We believe that right on Edsa, there is sufficient space for the BRT to be along the center island. So along Edsa, the stations would largely be underneath the MRT-3,” Siy said.

“Once we bring the BRT on Edsa and buses are restricted to the middle (lane), there would be a more efficient flow for private cars. We would no longer have conflicts between cars and buses (jockeying for) the curb-side lanes,” he added.

Siy said much of the capital expenses would be used to build BRT infrastructure, including the stations. Bus operators, who will be invited to join the project later, can provide the bus units that must however comply with DOTr specifications.

According to Siy, the government will collect the fare revenue while bus operators would be paid on a per-kilometer basis and based on how well they serve the public. “Performance is measured according to things like timeliness, or breakdowns or even the driver’s demeanor—is he rude, unkempt or has bad behavior? They can be penalized,” he said.
BRT Boo Chanco
Quote:
DEMAND AND SUPPLY By Boo Chanco
World Bank requirements pointed out that there are two minimum conditions for BRT to work as intended: 1) unified operation, which foreign consultants of World Bank equate with a single operator (invariably, government-owned), 2) exclusive lane/busway, preferably inner lanes.
The proposed station location is not convenient and where will they put the stations where the MRT3 is at-grade? What will happen to vehicles that need to turn left at ayala, ortigas, tramo, santolan. And to WB recommendation of one operator when the DOTr plan is for multiple bus operators.

Santolan

Guadalupe

Ayala

Proposed station from a BRT Presentation

chestersim, Romb, FlashNeutrinos liked this post
kratos1211 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2017, 11:44 AM   #6593
Romb

Likes (Received): 300

Nice
Romb está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2017, 03:40 PM   #6594
s_w_stars

Likes (Received): 2215

Quote:
Originally Posted by kratos1211 View Post
Inquirer.net

BRT Boo Chanco

The proposed station location is not convenient and where will they put the stations where the MRT3 is at-grade? What will happen to vehicles that need to turn left at ayala, ortigas, tramo, santolan. And to WB recommendation of one operator when the DOTr plan is for multiple bus operators.

Proposed station from a BRT Presentation
Very nice drawing. That's all I can say for now. Let me add:

1. How will the commuters get to the station/median when we don't see a CROSSWALKS/PEDESTRIAN WALKWAYS anywhere? Does that mean they use the same access as MRT3?
2. What's the distance between BRT stops? Will it follow the same stops as MRT 3 (i.e. 500 m +/-)?
3. Is this one route only (EDSA end to end) or multiple routes with buses turning to service another route on another avenue?

Why present the design of the stations when there are other issues they have to address first? Is this the best that Pinoy planners in the PH can present?
Old March 23rd, 2017, 03:50 PM   #6595
s_w_stars

Quote:
^ I wasn't mad to be honest and i'm not making assumptions out of thin air either. Some of my arguments are based on a JICA proposal published in the 90's about installing a BRT line on EDSA.

I used to have a hard copy of it but I lost it. Anyway, it says that the EDSA BRT line must be patterned with successful systems like those in Curitiba, Brazil.

This article on the Inquirer mentions it in passing:

http://opinion.inquirer.net/78804/to...ied-brt-system

A BRT station in Curitiba, Brazil. This system is rated GOLD in the BRT world standard:
Congratulations to the 3 m residents of Curitiba or even to the 3 m Medellin. I'll even give them a platinum award for solving their transit problems. The JICA proposal was made in the 90s. It's 2017 already, Manila is at 12+ m. Bogota (city) has 9-10 m now, created its BRT line around 2000, in less than 10 years, the BRT is past its sell by date. Manila, Bogota, Lima are all in the megacity category AND capitals, financial, business centres of their respective countries. Medellin and Curitiba are secondary or even tertiary cities.
Old March 24th, 2017, 08:23 AM   #6596
diz
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 1033

Should be built on the shoulder, not median.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

diz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2017, 08:53 AM   #6597
Magniko

Likes (Received): 99

Having it on the shoulder will cause more interference with incoming traffic, as most incoming traffic comes from the right
Magniko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2017, 12:05 AM   #6598
pau_p1
Proud to be Filipino

Likes (Received): 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_w_stars View Post
Very nice drawing. That's all I can say for now. Let me add:

1. How will the commuters get to the station/median when we don't see a CROSSWALKS/PEDESTRIAN WALKWAYS anywhere? Does that mean they use the same access as MRT3?
2. What's the distance between BRT stops? Will it follow the same stops as MRT 3 (i.e. 500 m +/-)?
3. Is this one route only (EDSA end to end) or multiple routes with buses turning to service another route on another avenue?

Why present the design of the stations when there are other issues they have to address first? Is this the best that Pinoy planners in the PH can present?

Was about to ask this as well...well one of the drawing did partially show the overpass... which looked like stairs only... with these at median they need to put elevators as well for those coming from the shoulder and another at the median... maski yung sa Guada bridge they did not show any of the foot bridges...

-
- In
pau_p1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:40 PM   #6599
s_w_stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magniko View Post
Having it on the shoulder will cause more interference with incoming traffic, as most incoming traffic comes from the right
I'm not sure if you're following. MRT3 goes on 3 levels, so does EDSA. That's what we're wondering how. Putting it on the shoulders would mean the BRT will not have to deal with roller coaster in the middle. Besides, there are bus lanes already there. If they can just put one route on EDSA, re route the different bus operators to different routes to traverse EDSA and act as feeders, then it would be easier to set up a bus rapid lane end to end of EDSA.

The objective is to make commuting for the public easier. Traffic congestion is due to the fact that public transit on EDSA is helter skelter. Until they can fix MRT 3, increase its capacity, and have proper bus operation to suplement it, people will have to drive - cars, motors or take taxis, even take the half empty buses to get to wherever off EDSA. And yes, there are stop lights to regulate the turns. The objective is to make it easier for commuters to get a ride, not for people to drive their cars or motors or take taxis.

Tags
brt, metro manila