daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > Metropolitan Projects > Chennai

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 26th, 2016, 09:27 AM   #1
sarathy

Likes (Received): 87

Chennai Green Cover

Every city should have atleast 33% of green cover. Chennai is one of the metro cities which have decent percentage of green cover over the city. Many of the NGO's are trying hard to meet 33% figure.

Please post the green-cover related news and pictures into this thread.

Sponsored Links
Old September 26th, 2016, 09:28 AM   #2
sarathy

Chennai Metro planning to improve its green cover

Chennai: Improving green cover in the city has now become one of the important tasks for Greater Chennai Corporation.

A resolution that was passed in the last council meet allowing the civic body to tie up with Tamilnadu Agricultural University, Coimbatore, for planting palm trees along the coastline in Chennai, is one such initiative for increasing the tree population in the city.

"Initiatives seem to have been taken up seriously after Chennai was reported to have 9.03 per cent of forest cover in its 144 sq km geographical area in 'State of Forest Report' released by Union Environment Ministry," said Muthuvel, an activist.

According to an RTI reply from three zones of extended areas 14, 15 in southern part of Chennai and zone 3 in northern part, in the last ten years 576 saplings were planted in Sholinganallur (Zone 15), 759 in Perungud i(Zone 14), and 8,316 in Madhavaram(Zone 3) making it the highest among the three.

"Every year in the past decade, on an average, 700 saplings were planted in all the 12 wards in Madhavaram. The saplings are chosen based on the soil content in each place," said a Corporation official.

He added, "Saplings are procured from other organisations and NGOs who are working with the civic body. Around 75 percentage of saplings that have been planted are in good condition."

"The prime focus must be now on extended areas to achieve the target. There are large number of places available in such areas. They should be utilised to meet the criteria of National Forest Policy, 1988," said Muthuvel.

According to National Forest Policy one-third of the total land cover should be forest cover. "But none of the metropolitan cities have achieved this target," he said.

Shobha Menon, founder of Nizhal, an NGO, said, "Dumpyard-turned-park on River View Road has become a model park. There are a lot of people coming every weekend to take part in planting trees, watering it etc."

She suggested, "Community participation is very important for increasing the green cover in the city. Just by planting saplings the work isn't done, follow-ups are very important. Government agencies need to ensure sustained community involvement in planting programmes."

The Corporation earlier this year invited applications for private firms to adopt parks and maintain it with an incentive to advertise their companies inside the park.

"We have also initiated for community participation. Only after a period of four years palpable results can be expected," said the official.

(Follow us on Twitter @NTChennai)

http://newstodaynet.com/chennai/chen...ts-green-cover
Old September 26th, 2016, 09:33 AM   #3
sarathy

Semmozhi Poonga offers a great escapade from the scorching sun and it is a visual delight for your eyes tired seeing manmade buildings. The park was opened towards the end of 2010. Located at city’s center, the 20-acre park offers to view scenic landscapes and lush gardens. The well-maintained gardens have over 500 varieties of trees and plants from all parts of the world. This is apart from the trees that already exist in the area before the establishment of the park. Some of the trees are over 100 years old. The species of plants include medicinal plants and aromatic herbs. The artificial waterfall in the park looks real. Children will love the park, as there are many play structures to keep them entertained. Elders can go for a walk and several seating arrangements are provided to stretch. Semmozhi Poonga seems so far to have made genuine efforts to keep the place clean and green unlike some other places in Chennai, which do not enjoy the attention they need to be given.

madrasi7777, thillai_selvan, Glorian liked this post
sarathy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2016, 09:40 AM   #4
sarathy

Chennai Corporation plan to increase Green cover with Public participation

The Chennai Corporation has come up with a novel idea to encourage residents to plant trees on memorable occasions including birthday and festivals.
A corporation press release on Friday inviteda individuals, NGOs, residents associations and private organisations to plant saplings on corporation-owned roads, parks, playgrounds, hospitals, schools, river banks, open space reservation (OSR) lands and crematoriums.
"Interested applicants can plant and maintain the trees at their own cost after the permission from the corporation for at least three years," said a release, adding that the saplings should be at least above 10 feet.
The civic body will also allow applicants to put up advertisements on the tree guards. "One fourth of the advertisements should of corporation and the remaining space can be advertised after the permission of the corporation", the release said.
Citizens can visit http://www.chennaicorporation.gov.in...sTreePlant.PDF to download the application to plant saplings in the city.
Corporation records say Chennai has only 6.25% of green cover against the required 33.33%. Trees have become casualties of infrastructure development projects like road widening, flyovers, grade separators and metro rail.
Corporation officials said they were unable to protect trees because of shortage of manpower and funds. A parks department official said they were short-staffed.
Activists say several states, including Karnataka, Delhi, Andhra Pradesh and Maharashtra, have constituted tree authorities to further the cause of environment. Chennai still does not have a Tree Act to protect the green cover even as green spaces on private and public lands are declining drastically.

Environmentalists say the process of tree removal is often carried out without consulting experts and civil society representatives.
A draft Tree Act prepared by Nizhal, an organisation that works to protect green cover, suggests steps like setting up a tree authority, a master plan for regeneration and preservation of trees, a regular tree census and setting a mandatory number of trees for each locality depending on its size.

madrasi7777 liked this post
Old September 26th, 2016, 09:42 AM   #5
sarathy

Enhancing TN Green Cover: Jaya Launches Massive Tree Planting Programme

In yet another iconic initiative aimed at enhancing Tamil Nadu's green cover, Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa on Sunday inaugurated a Statewide Massive Tree Planting Programme of planting 68 lakh seedlings.

The programme, to mark the Chief Minister's 68th birthday, is launched at a cost of Rs. 61.68 Crore, an official release here said. Jayalalithaa inaugurated the programme by planting a banyan sapling at Chennai City Police Commissionerate Complex in Vepery here.

This is part of the Jayalalithaa Government's efforts to increase the forest area and green cover across of the State. Sapplings would be planted in open spaces. Accordingly, 64 lakh saplings were planted in 2012, 65 lakh the next year, 66 lakh during 2014 and 67 lakh in 2015 to mark the Chief Minister's birthday each year.

The statement further said that works pertaining to planting of saplings would be completed before December by the Forest Department. Moreover, the saplings would be planted and maintained in forests, schools, colleges, government and private offices as well as roadsides and parks. Several varieties of saplings including Banyan and Alexandrian laurel are being planted as part of the programme.

Forest Minister M S M Anandan, Environment Minister Thoppu N D Venkatachalam, Chief Secretary Gnanadesikan, advisor to Tamil Nadu Government Sheela Balakrishnan and many senior officials were in attendance at the event.

Old September 26th, 2016, 03:46 PM   #6
madrasi7777

Likes (Received): 439

This movement must start both inside and the outskirts of Chennai . It must be given a strong push. It will be a good idea to give this to a private company and demand performance.

sarathy liked this post
madrasi7777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2016, 04:01 PM   #7
madrasi7777

I work in Anna Nagar westeen extension. I walk every day I walk in different directions in and around my area to beat boredom and repetition. I have noticed that in the area I walk ( Thirumangalam flyover to Padi Flyover - Chennai Public School - Lucas TVS and - Brittania ) I have counted more than 50 small and meduim sized parks. I was pleasantly shocked.
Old September 27th, 2016, 12:21 PM   #8
sarathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrasi7777 View Post
I work in Anna Nagar westeen extension. I walk every day I walk in different directions in and around my area to beat boredom and repetition. I have noticed that in the area I walk ( Thirumangalam flyover to Padi Flyover - Chennai Public School - Lucas TVS and - Brittania ) I have counted more than 50 small and meduim sized parks. I was pleasantly shocked.
Hi Madrasi7777,

Try to snap some photos and share it in this thread. Lets pass them to the upcoming generations and let them get inspired with it to create more green cover.
Old September 27th, 2016, 03:13 PM   #9
Porurking

Likes (Received): 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrasi7777 View Post
That is because Annanagar, Annanagar West, Annanagar West Extention, TVS colony all were developed by TNHB, hence there are parks as per town planning.

The same cannot be said in private developers areas such as Arumbakkam, Choolaimedu, Parts of Nungambakkam, Saidapet, purasivalkam, Kodambakkam etc etc.

Porurking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2016, 12:13 PM   #10
databasepkd

Likes (Received): 78

I have been living near Madhya Kailash temple for more than 10 years and thoroughly enjoyed the greeneries inside IIT/CLRI/Childrens park/Anna Uny and Raj Bhavan. Recently moved to OMR and trying to keep my tiny backyard as green as possible.

databasepkd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2017, 08:54 PM   #11
MyNation

Likes (Received): 5292

Volunteers clean up Nageswara Rao park

On Saturday, over 50 volunteers helped clean Nageswara Rao Park in Mylapore and prune the trees.

The initiative by The Hindu Friends of Chennai is part of a move to bring back the city’s green cover, which was badly affected by Cyclone Vardah in December 2016.

‘Bring Back Green’ is focusing on conservation, restoration and transformation across public parks in Chennai city.

Nizhal, a trust that promotes concern for trees in the city, is a partner in the initiative.

Volunteers, along with Nizhal staff, spent two hours from 4 p.m. in tree care activities and clearing leaves across the park. Activities on Sunday will be at Pakkam Near Avadi, at 6:30 a.m. with the Chennai Trekking Club Ainthinai and at Panagal Park in T. Nagar from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m.

For more details log on towww.Friendsofchennai.com

Source : http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper...le17007285.ece
MyNation no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2017, 04:08 PM   #12
MyNation

Nanganallur residents go on green drive

Three streets in the locality have received a considerable number of saplings with tree guards

What started as a post in a Facebook page by M. Manickathai shows promise of spreading across the city, as a massive environment campaign.

The campaign, ‘Go Green Nanganallur,’ was started by a group of environment activists from Nanganallur and nearby areas, following Vardah.

K. Shravan Kumar, a volunteer, said, “M. Manickathai created the page, ‘Go Green Nanganallur’ on FB and posted updates about restoration of the green cover in Nanganallur. As the response was good, we had our first meeting on January 20, which led to the formation of the voluntary organisation.”

Under Phase I of the campaign, the volunteers planted native saplings on Third Main Road, Nanganallur. Under Phase II, native saplings were planted on 19th and 21st Streets of Nanganallur. These saplings were planted with tree guards. “Tender saplings must be protected by tree guards. It reduces the risk of saplings getting damaged,” V. Ramya, a volunteer, said.

“Our aim is to take this campaign across the city. Soon, we will be extending the campaign to other areas in the city,” volunteers said.

“The planting exercise was carried out by children with the guidance of volunteers,” Ramya added.

Much of the green cover on Fifth Main Road and 27th Street and at Independence Day Park were lost.

“We have also requested the residents to take care of the saplings and water them regularly.

Soon, we will be identifying volunteers from Nanganallur to coordinate with the residents regarding planting and watering of the saplings. Plans are on to form ‘Swachh Bharat Nanganallur,” Ramya said. For details, contact 9789932399.

Source : http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...le17284057.ece

PremChn, thillai_selvan, vv20298 liked this post
Old February 11th, 2017, 01:08 PM   #13
madrasi7777

I live in Arihant Majestic Towers in Koyambedu. After the Vardha cyclone we lost more than 20 mature trees. The residents and the association put their hands together and planted the double the trees we lost. We planted many local species along with other shady trees. All the planted medium sized saplings are doing extremely well. If all the association take similar steps we can plant lakhs of trees.

kvijayasundaram, ferrari_fan liked this post
madrasi7777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2017, 09:15 PM   #14
kmrevanth

Likes (Received): 6

Chennai green

All the resident associations in Chennai should take oath to increase the green cover in chennai. Residents should have responsibility to take this up and help people to convert chennai into a green city.
kmrevanth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2017, 03:34 AM   #15
MyNation

Chennai's Pallavaram gets a new park

G Munusamy, a security guard and a resident of Zamin Pallavaram, rues the loss of public space in his locality. “There is hardly any space for the elderly to walk or the youngsters to play,” he said, and sets his gaze upon the iron gates of the ‘Cantonment Park’, which he hopes will satisfy the long-pending demand for a public arena in the locality. Instrumental in reviving several parks in Bogota, Colombia, its Mayor Enrique Penalosa once said, “Public space is for living, doing business, kissing, and playing. Its value can’t be measured with economics or mathematics; it must be felt with the soul.”

He reasoned that public spaces must have a positive effect on people, more specifically help them become happy. Located thousands of miles away from Bogota, Pallavaram could have been served well by a civic authority like Penalosa. The locality did not have a park for a long time. Several residents recall the bygone years when there were lots of empty spaces lined with trees. They would just venture out and have a great time on those grounds. But like several other localities in the city, Pallavaram too became a victim of shrinking spaces. Inayathullah, a long-time resident of the area, who claims his family has been based here since Independence, recalls a park near the bus stand about 20-25 years ago. “It had good facilities for children and was a favourite spot to hangout,” he said.

That park is no longer there and in its place stands a marriage hall. A concrete building had yet again subsumed the open space. But the new park, spread over 2.1 acre and built by the St Thomas Mount-Pallavaram Cantonment Board, promises to change the scene. Speaking to City Express, P Peter Durairaj, health superintendent, Cantonment Board, said work on the park began in April last year at an estimated cost of `1.3 crore.

“There are three shuttle courts, a skating rink, an open air theatre and a children’s corner,” he said. “Although the cantonment board has built it, the park will be open for everyone.” The park was inaugurated by Lt General RK Anand, General Officer Commanding, Dakshin Bharat Area on Tuesday. For Inayathullah, who is yet to get a glimpse of the park, the catch is the walking path set up inside. A daily walker, he along with a group prefers to walk at Military Grounds or along the Veteran Lines. “Nowadays, a lot of people are healthconscious and desire larger spaces for exercises. This park will definitely be favourably received if it’s maintained well,” he averred.

Source : http://www.newindianexpress.com/citi...k-1584094.html

thillai_selvan, madrasi7777 liked this post
Old March 22nd, 2017, 07:43 AM   #16
thillai_selvan

Likes (Received): 2028

From Dinakaran

Old March 23rd, 2017, 10:19 AM   #17
madrasi7777

We are the least green covered city in India with just 9.5 percent and in least developed area it is only 4,5 percent. Sadly have large percentage of this green cover was lost during Vardha cyclone. This year the summer will be particularly severe due to this. I have taken some steps in my area to plant trees. Every one of us take an effort to plant 2 or 3 trees it will make a lot of difference. Once we see the trees we plant grow into a shade giving or fruit giving tree the feeling is great .
Old March 23rd, 2017, 12:57 PM   #18
venkatm

Likes (Received): 1517

I strongly oppose fountains anywhere in India. They seem to work only on inauguration day! The space can be used for something better like a big tree with benches below it.
Old May 3rd, 2017, 08:00 PM   #19
krishnaswamy
Krishna

Likes (Received): 7989

Outer Ring Road gets green cover

Quote:
Saplings of traditional species of trees are being planted along 60 km
Saplings of traditional species of trees are being planted in the space reserved for a public transport corridor in the future, which is between the two sides of the road.
A total of 11,900 saplings of Vengai, Thiruvaagai, Pungai and neem are being planted to form an eco-balance. Around 1,200 saplings have been sponsored by a college and 3,000 saplings by the Forest Department.
Over 35,000 arali plants are being planted on the medians. “These plants are more resistant to pollution and cows don’t eat them. You can find these plants on many highway roads. The plants and tree saplings are being planted by the contractor, who will maintain them,” explained an official.

vv20298, thillai_selvan liked this post
krishnaswamy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2017, 08:47 AM   #20
greatshankar
CoolBreeze

Likes (Received): 192

Not a good time to plant saplings. They should do after july.

krishnaswamy, calculus_ask liked this post
greatshankar no está en línea   Reply With Quote