daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 8th, 2017, 02:31 PM   #3901
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 753

It wouldn't add much confusion to the planned services. In terms of infra it's quite easy and doesn't create serious conflicts in Utrecht. An extra step is needed if you also want to offer a same platform change, but nothing dramatic.
Meanwhile it would also greatly benefit the movements of passengers inside Utrecht station.

I can see the point of streamlining the offer, but still it seems a bit unbalanced: there's actual demand to fill up a direct train every 10' to Schiphol but no demand at all to Zuid Holland?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
They would need to solve the capacity problems Gouda - Utrecht C.
That's true if you want to push to 6+6 tph on that line as well. But it's not necessary to just reach Nijmegen.

Today half of the IC from either Rotterdam or DH terminate in Utrecht (which is not optimal too); you just need to choose one service to continue towards Arnhem.

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 8th, 2017, 04:27 PM   #3902
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21129

At the end of the day, that is the problem you get by having the tracks to/from Gouda on the wrong side of Utrecht C... Utrecht C. would probably work much better if it were a 2-level station (like Duivendrecht, only much larger).

Same goes for Den Haag C., which should be located at the junction with the the Leiden-R'dam line instead.
Old November 8th, 2017, 06:44 PM   #3903
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Utrecht CS already functions as a multilevel station, since much longer than the latest update.
There are extensive flyovers north and south of the station providing for path independence of the majority of services.
A Duivendrecht-like solution wouldn't help much, and in fact it wouldn't allow some services to stop there, just as Duivendrecht can't be used by the Schiphol - Utrecht IC and metro 53.

Tracks to and from Gouda are in no way confined on a single side of the station; this is true only for the "local line" leading to platform 20/21.

It's rather easy to fit a Gouda - Arnhem path into the existing layout, but there are some compromises.

Arnhem > Gouda is the easiest part, it requires a minimal modification and works with zero conflicts.
Gouda > Arnhem is trickier, because it requires to cross the path of either the Gouda local line or the Amsterdam local line (blue option vs. green option in the drawing):

Red bits are new tracks needed (original by www.sporenplan.nl)

You may even lay down both solutions and choose in real time, it's still a cheap work.
Either way the independence of the Amsterdam - Eindhoven fast line is granted.

There's also a third option with full independence from everything, but then we talk about new construction works (€€€).

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.

Last edited by Wilhem275; November 8th, 2017 at 07:05 PM.
Old November 8th, 2017, 09:07 PM   #3904
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 767

They have just removed ten's of switches..for reliability and untangling.. you propose placing them back?

Look at the amount of switches in 1985, all platform are linked and reachable from each track:

Old November 8th, 2017, 10:53 PM   #3905
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 61235

The Province of Utrecht has looked into the posibilities of building a railway line to the campus area of the University of Utrecht which is located on the eastide of the city. A couple of possible routes have been proposed, 2 of which will see a line branching off from the Amersfoort - Utrecht to the south with a station at the campus. It will reconnect with the existing network on the Arnhem - Utrecht line. Such a line will make it possible to have trains from Amersfoort to approach Utrecht from the south. A trip from Amersfoort to Utrecht Centraal will take a couple of minutes longer then the current route. But it will be possible for the trains to continue to Gouda without having to change reverse the direction.

This is just a study for now. It hasn't yet progressed into anything more for now. But it would be a interesting solution to "fix" the last large capacity issue on Utrecht Centraal.

Quickscan haalbaarheid spoorverbinding USP Provincie Utrecht

taken from this thread:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...593002&page=83

Klausenburg liked this post
Momo1435 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2017, 11:20 PM   #3906
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_scotty View Post
They have just removed ten's of switches..for reliability and untangling.. you propose placing them back?

Look at the amount of switches in 1985, all platform are linked and reachable from each track:
They removed all those switches because they weren't needed at all, so they were just a burden to reliability. Plus, they were all double slips, making the layout extremely slow.

What I draw is the bare minimum for a path made to be used severaly times a day... can't be compared with the useless latticework in place before.

I agree with the idea of rationalization behind the latest revision of Utrecht, but it can't turn into a minimalistic obsession so that no train can change path anymore ever. It's still a railway, not an underground.
Btw, applying the blue option there's a grand total of 8 switches added to one of the largest stations in Europe. I think ProRail can cope with them...

Anyway, the point here is: is it right to discard every possible direct connection but those to Amsterdam?

Old November 9th, 2017, 09:44 AM   #3907
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 536

The CAF-built "Sprinter Next Generation" (SNG) trains are currently undergoing trial runs. This morning I spotted a three-car unit which was parked in the sidings to the west of Rotterdam Centraal.
Old November 19th, 2017, 10:19 PM   #3908

Likes (Received): 999

This weekend a second bridge was placed over het Amsterdam-Rijn canal.
After the bridge is place traffic will go over the new bridge.
The old bridge will be refurbished to increase it's lifespan.
It's the last bottleneck between Utrecht en Woerden.
After the placement Woerden-Utrecht will be 4 track wide over the whole length and it is also one of the last parts of the Randstad railproject.

A timelaps of the placement of the bridge.

A livefeed has been placed by Prorail.

Last edited by 3737; November 19th, 2017 at 10:30 PM.
3737 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2017, 11:46 PM   #3909
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Say hello to ETR 700

Still incomplete, there must be some bright red on the nose. They were also studying how to cover that terrified mouth

Suburbanist, WillBuild liked this post
Old November 24th, 2017, 12:04 PM   #3910
da_scotty

I dare not to say it, but looks nice!
Old November 24th, 2017, 12:34 PM   #3911
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21129

The V250 external design is awesome. The best new train design to be seen rolling around European railways (sadly, for a brief period only) in the last 20 years other than the AGV.
Old November 24th, 2017, 01:14 PM   #3912
da_scotty

Do you have a side-view?
Old November 24th, 2017, 01:43 PM   #3913

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_scotty View Post
Do you have a side-view?
Looks probably something like this.

Link
Old November 24th, 2017, 01:59 PM   #3914
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Still nothing more than this leak. There's some doubt they'll get the Frecciargento brand because the brand itself may be phased out (leaving just the Frecciarossa).

A nice streamlined livery would help with their looks. After all, also other Trenitalia HS trains are quite "nosy" and their livery helps with it.

The roadmap should be:
- first final version (in and out) in midsummer 2018
- first commercial services in December 2018
- entire fleet by June 2019

So... be sure to book your 2019 holidays

Old November 25th, 2017, 03:35 AM   #3915
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 834

Quote:
The V250 external design is awesome. The best new train design to be seen rolling around European railways (sadly, for a brief period only) in the last 20 years other than the AGV.
No, Subu, no! Bad Subu!

Wilhem275, Sopomon liked this post
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2017, 11:43 AM   #3916
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6007

We can only hope the inevitable derailment happens when there's no passengers on it.

Theijs, Wilhem275, GrijzePilion liked this post
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2017, 07:09 PM   #3917
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
I think we can probably come up with 10+ train designs that are more awesome than the V250...

GrijzePilion liked this post
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2017, 01:44 PM   #3918
GrijzePilion

Likes (Received): 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_ View Post
I think we can probably come up with 10+ train designs that are more awesome than the V250...
I think we can definitely come up with 10 train designs that look better than the AGV.
GrijzePilion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2017, 11:00 PM   #3919

Some Arial photo's of the Delft tunnel project made yesterday.

South entrance of the tunnel 2 track are already in use.

5 Years ago.

The old viaduct has been replaced by a underground parking lot and a canal.

The old station next to the new one

5 Years ago, the old station still in use.

link

Suburbanist, Wilhem275, Losbp, EPA001 liked this post
Old November 29th, 2017, 11:43 PM   #3920
Wilhem275
The Transporter

The difference is impressive.

I just can't avoid to think that building is completely out of place.
I like modern architecture, I also like the building itself, but honestly... not in that city center.

luka23, btrs liked this post