daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 28th, 2006, 09:58 AM   #21
van3423

Likes (Received): 5

very clean and huge. nice modern design.
van3423 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 28th, 2006, 03:54 PM   #22
hkmember
HKM-Member

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardmaster
I think we would count that as 12 platforms: and looking at your photos again, the tracks seem to run right through. You didn't tell me when it would open, but I'm very impressed. But your first picture in posting 5?
It's because mainland rail stations designate one island platform as one platform, the two tracks on either side would be designated as A or B.

Hence it would be platform 5A and 5B etc.
hkmember no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2006, 05:46 PM   #23
vtower
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Very nice. Reminds me somewhere in Germany.
vtower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2006, 05:21 AM   #24
lucky1988_61

Likes (Received): 0

Very Nice, Reminds me something in the Moive E.T
lucky1988_61 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2006, 07:14 AM   #25
Future123

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky1988_61

Future123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2006, 07:55 AM   #26
ode of bund

Likes (Received): 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by van3423
very clean and huge. nice modern design.
very soon it's going to be dirty and stenchy.
ode of bund no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2006, 10:23 AM   #27
zergcerebrates

Likes (Received): 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by ode of bund

I doubt it. I've visited Pudong airport and after years of operation it has yet to become dirty. I also used the Guangzhou Baiyun Airport and you can still lick off the floor. Malls in China after thousands of people pouring in each week is still glittering. These days the Chinese pay a lot of attention on hygiene unlike the old days and workers are just constantly cleaning all the time. Don't be a pessimist, times have changed.
zergcerebrates no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2006, 10:40 AM   #28
hkth

Likes (Received): 25

It is anyway China most improve their citizens' public morals within the education system.
hkth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2006, 09:01 PM   #29
gakei
GAKEI.com | EHK

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by zergcerebrates
I doubt it. I've visited Pudong airport and after years of operation it has yet to become dirty. I also used the Guangzhou Baiyun Airport and you can still lick off the floor. Malls in China after thousands of people pouring in each week is still glittering. These days the Chinese pay a lot of attention on hygiene unlike the old days and workers are just constantly cleaning all the time. Don't be a pessimist, times have changed.
Can't compare a railway station with airports and malls. It is totally different.
gakei no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2006, 09:35 AM   #30
zergcerebrates

Quote:
Originally Posted by gakei
Can't compare a railway station with airports and malls. It is totally different.
Why not? All these facilities are public, they are visited by visitors and locals alike and they number in the thousands.
Old June 1st, 2006, 10:10 AM   #31
gakei
GAKEI.com | EHK

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Why not? All these facilities are public, they are visited by visitors and locals alike and they number in the thousands.
When compared with airports, railway stations are visited much more by those poor and uneducated people, and many of them are from other provinces. Those uneducated people who can't affort taking the planes, they have to choose trains. You will never see these people visiting the airports.

On the other hand, the management standards of the state-owned railway corporation are generally lower than those of the airports, which are generally (partially?) private-owned.

It is actually a fact that railway stations are much more dirtier than the airports in China. I remeber that in a program of Phoenix TV, a person just said: "If you want to see how China looks like few decades ago, go to the railway stations. It has never changed. They remain dirty and messy." This comment has reflected the fact to a great extent.

Last edited by gakei; June 1st, 2006 at 10:20 AM.
gakei no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2006, 06:59 PM   #32
pflo777
BANNED

Likes (Received): 89

I heard that maglev will pass this station, if extended to hangzhou.

Question to those who live next to the station: Are there any hints, where the maglev train will pass the station?
I assume parallel to the steel tracks, either on the north or south side of them?
pflo777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2006, 04:04 AM   #33
zergcerebrates

Quote:
Originally Posted by pflo777
I heard that maglev will pass this station, if extended to hangzhou.

Question to those who live next to the station: Are there any hints, where the maglev train will pass the station?
I assume parallel to the steel tracks, either on the north or south side of them?

Really? Hmm. Perhaps they should make another maglev stop close to this station so people can transfer easier.
Old June 4th, 2006, 04:23 AM   #34
goschio
proud Kuffar

Likes (Received): 4206

Quote:
Originally Posted by gakei
When compared with airports, railway stations are visited much more by those poor and uneducated people, and many of them are from other provinces. Those uneducated people who can't affort taking the planes, they have to choose trains. You will never see these people visiting the airports.

On the other hand, the management standards of the state-owned railway corporation are generally lower than those of the airports, which are generally (partially?) private-owned.

It is actually a fact that railway stations are much more dirtier than the airports in China. I remeber that in a program of Phoenix TV, a person just said: "If you want to see how China looks like few decades ago, go to the railway stations. It has never changed. They remain dirty and messy." This comment has reflected the fact to a great extent.
Why not introduce a law. If someone produces dirt, then this person has to pay a fine. Just like in Singapore or Germany.

Matthew 7:25
And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.
goschio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2006, 05:21 AM   #35
gaoanyu

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by goschio
Why not introduce a law. If someone produces dirt, then this person has to pay a fine. Just like in Singapore or Germany.
Things in China are profoundly different from the west. As some people have already mentioned, these stations are visited by a lot of not-well educated (I wouldn't say uneducated here) people, and a great number of them will just sleep and live by the stations to wait for the trains, so you can imagine.. you can't have so many policemen fine people because they wait for their trains can you? Indeed, there are alrady some people who are hired by the stations so if you throw some litter, you maybe caught by them, but still, you can not have all the passenger in the station in check all the time... Chinese train stations, especially these in big cities, are always packed with people, no matter peak or off-peak seasons.. it's hard to describe unless you visit..

Said that, I think the conditions in a lot of Chinese stations have greatly improved, so maybe this particular station may stay clean for a longer period of time.
gaoanyu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2006, 09:26 AM   #36
ode of bund

Likes (Received): 70

Quote:
Really? Hmm. Perhaps they should make another maglev stop close to this station so people can transfer easier.

MagLev is not coming to Shanghai South Rail-way Station at all!!!
ode of bund no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2006, 11:00 AM   #37
pflo777
BANNED

Likes (Received): 89

really?
Do you have sources?

this one says, that the extension to hangzhou, if realised, will have a stop at shanghai south railway station:

http://www.shanghaidaily.com/art/200...wing_board.htm

"The new station is hailed as the first circular railway station in the world and will resemble a soccer stadium. It will be home to 13 railway lines including the extension of the maglev line.
"
pflo777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2006, 07:50 PM   #38
gaoanyu

Likes (Received): 7

I think by having another stop between Hangzhou and Shanghai is a waste of time. It takes about 3 mins for these trains to accelerate from 0 to 430km/hour and vice versa, not to mention the time consumed by loading more passengers. Suppose a maglev journey from Hangzhou to Shanghai takes about 30 mins, will they be willing to add another 10 mins or so to speed up, speed down and loading the passengers?
gaoanyu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2006, 08:10 PM   #39
Yardmaster
Registered Melbourne

Likes (Received): 198

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkmember
It's because mainland rail stations designate one island platform as one platform, the two tracks on either side would be designated as A or B.

Hence it would be platform 5A and 5B etc.
Thank-you. When you say "Mainland" I presume you mean PRC. So let me ask you ... when you say "A" & "B" what do you really mean?
Yardmaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2006, 08:22 PM   #40
Yardmaster
Registered Melbourne

Likes (Received): 198

Quote:
Originally Posted by ode of bund
Quote:
When I was in high-school my teacher told our class that the Chinese were the cleanest prople in the world: they washed six times a day.

Having subsequently been involved with a few Chinese in my time, I'd have to say, even though they didn't quite live up to the description of my history-master, they certainly cleaned my place up a lot. They certainly contributed to the water-bill!

The guys might spit in the street, but imho, there are some rather dirty stations in the US of A ...
Yardmaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote