daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 6th, 2015, 09:13 AM   #81
ainvan

Likes (Received): 17069

I hope the US and Canada will build the Cascadia HSR from Vancouver to Eugene soon!

It would be one of the most beautiful views in the world!

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/Rail/highspeedrail.htm

mrsmartman, Sterlyng65 liked this post
ainvan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 6th, 2015, 09:12 PM   #82
Stainless

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainvan View Post
I hope the US and Canada will build the Cascadia HSR from Vancouver to Eugene soon!

It would be one of the most beautiful views in the world!

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/Rail/highspeedrail.htm
That would be nice, just need to extend it another 1600km down to Tijuana and make a truly international route! Also I wonder how much confusion there will be having two Vancouvers on the same line.
Stainless no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2015, 04:46 AM   #83
aquaticko

Likes (Received): 1026

I mean, in a way, it's an ideal place for downtown TOD. Lots of unoccupied buildings in the middle of the city, their lands waiting for better uses....Once again, not a lot of economic incentive for Canada to do it, what with Detroit being the pit that it is, but it would be nice for bunch of other reasons.
aquaticko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2015, 05:39 AM   #84
SamuraiBlue

Likes (Received): 195

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainvan View Post

That kind of crooked route going left and right with sharp turns all over is never going to work for a true HSR, AMTrak maybe but not for HSR. Too many stations as well.

k.k.jetcar, Tågälskaren liked this post
SamuraiBlue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2015, 06:38 AM   #85
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
High-speed rail not the right solution for Canada: Via CEO
That the push for new high-speed train systems in Ontario and Alberta is gaining momentum just as the federal Liberals prepare to take office with plans to double infrastructure spending is surely more than a coincidence.

But the head of Canada’s dominant passenger rail service, Via Rail Canada, says high-speed rail is a tremendously expensive proposition, and it makes little sense to invest in it until the serious existing congestion problems on Canadian railways is solved.
http://business.financialpost.com/ne...canada-via-ceo
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2015, 10:32 AM   #86
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 1648

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.k.jetcar View Post
The cynic inside me thinks this is just the guy wanting to protect his organization. Losing the core Windsor-Toronto-Ottawa route to competition would kill VIA. It's on its last legs with all the cuts to intercity lines honestly, probably everything it does could be replaced with a mix of private passenger services aimed at tourists and provincially funded regional rail(technically wasn't GO chartered to serve all of Ontario's rail needs, not just Toronto?). Any HSR in Canada would surely involve brand new infrastructure and would neither be affiliated with VIA nor part of the conventional railway network(maybe) so concerns over rail congestion are probably very very unimportant here.

I'm not Canadian though, I should probably stfu in this thread

After I'm gone, your earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence, as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

Bring me the continuum transfunctioner...

aquaticko liked this post

Last edited by zaphod; November 7th, 2015 at 10:37 AM.
zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2015, 12:22 PM   #87
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 357

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiBlue View Post
That kind of crooked route going left and right with sharp turns all over is never going to work for a true HSR, AMTrak maybe but not for HSR. Too many stations as well.
Of course not. I've lived in that area and if the high speed rail were to be built with those end points (very doubtful) then reasonable intermediate stations would be in Salem, Portland, Tacoma and Seattle.
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2015, 09:31 PM   #88
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 1648

The scale of that map is very small. Realistically those curves are many miles apart.

You are still right that it is kind of twisty and turny but its not nearly that bad. I believe the bigger problem with the Cascades line is that it goes through urban areas and small towns and grade separating it would be both costly and rejected by NIMBYs. On the north side of Portland it goes through a major freight yard and a shallow one track tunnel, before crossing an old moveable bridge and then weaving through residential neighborhoods on the Washington state side of the Columbia. Just a big hassle to upgrade it I think.

After I'm gone, your earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence, as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

Bring me the continuum transfunctioner...

zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2015, 12:05 AM   #89
ainvan

Likes (Received): 17069

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiBlue View Post
It's not going to be the true HSR like in Japan. IIRC, the maximum speed would be 120 mph.

However, this project would be much better than the slow Amtrak Cascades train.

The stations are also not confirmed yet. My guess would be Vancouver-Bellingham-Seattle-Tacoma-Portland-Salem-Eugene.

mrsmartman liked this post
ainvan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2015, 06:53 AM   #90
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 16992

That Tacoma curvy section will be eliminated in a few years with a new bypass route...
Visit the New Jersey Section

mrsmartman, particlez liked this post
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2015, 07:57 AM   #91
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
It's not going to be the true HSR like in Japan. IIRC, the maximum speed would be 120 mph.
Ah yes, "high performance rail"* or whatever the politicians are calling it now. But actually, probably the most viable form in the near term (i.e. the next 20~30 years).

*110~120mph FRA compliant diesel powered push-pull trainsets
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2015, 10:34 AM   #92
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Likes (Received): 153

Is it not the case that FRA regulations have significantly loosened recently? Or was I just dreaming
Old February 10th, 2016, 01:02 AM   #93
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 678

Ontario government wants high-speed rail proposal by October, MP says

Quote:
The Ontario government wants to see a proposal completed for a Toronto-to-Windsor high-speed rail project by October, according to a London-area MP.

The governing Liberals have been consulting with various stakeholders along the Toronto-to-Windsor corridor this month, as they map out what the proposed rail project could look like.

Karen Vecchio, the newly elected MP for Elgin-Middlesex-London, was at a stakeholders meeting held in London on Tuesday afternoon.

She came away from the meeting convinced that the provincial government is serious about making high-speed rail a reality. And it appears they plan to close in on a proposal in the months ahead.

"From what I understand, they want to have this studied and they want to have a proposal given to the government … by October of 2016," she told CBC Radio's Afternoon Drive in an interview on Tuesday.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windso...says-1.3440700

CB31, dimlys1994 liked this post
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2016, 12:29 AM   #94
hammersklavier
Feral

Likes (Received): 422

Via Rail's $4B plan for Quebec-Ontario route opts for 'frequency' over speed

Read here: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montre...ario-1.3537019

Quote:
Via Rail will ask the federal government by year's end to climb aboard a plan to run new "high-frequency," electric-hybrid trains in the busy Windsor-Quebec City corridor, says the head of the Crown corporation.

With any luck, the $4-billion project will be "shovel ready'' a year from now, with the first of the new fleet carrying passengers by 2019, says Via president and CEO Yves Desjardins-Siciliano.

"The fall of 2019, the dedicated corridor would exist between Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto at a minimum and even possibly all the way to Quebec City at that point," he predicted in an interview with The Canadian Press.

Via has been promoting its plan to build tracks dedicated to passenger rail service since 2014, just five years after its proposal for a high-speed service withered under the weight of the recession.

But the proposal was recently refined to focus on building electrified tracks after Justin Trudeau was elected with a Liberal government committed to spend massively on infrastructure projects.

mrsmartman, dimlys1994 liked this post
hammersklavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2016, 03:29 AM   #95
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 678

^That should be in the conventional thread, its 160km/h service at maximum, as great as it is.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2017, 06:06 PM   #96
Balkanada
why worry?

Likes (Received): 814

Ontario plans high-speed train between Toronto and Windsor
Quote:
Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne is announcing this morning that the province is taking steps toward a high-speed rail corridor between Toronto and Windsor.

The government says Ontario is the first province to undertake a “rail transformation” on this scale.

Last month’s provincial budget announced that the government would go ahead with an environmental assessment for the project and today the premier says the province is investing $15 million for that.

Preliminary design work is also starting and the government will establish a new body to oversee the project.

Trains on the planned rail link would travel up to 250 kilometres per hour, which is expected to cut travel times between Toronto and Windsor from four hours to two.

In 2015, the government tapped a special adviser on high-speed rail to assess the possibility of such a project, and David Collenette concluded there is a business case for it as well as opportunities to partner with the private sector for funding.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ticle35056460/

aquaticko liked this post
Balkanada no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2017, 07:29 PM   #97
aquaticko

Quote:
Ontario commits to Toronto - Windsor high-speed rail

THE premier of Ontario Ms Kathleen Wynne announced on May 19 that the province will move forward with plans to build Canada’s first high-speed line after a report by Mr David Collenette, Ontario’s special advisor on high-speed rail, concluded the project has a positive business case.

Wynne confirmed that the province will now begin preliminary design work on the line from Toronto to Windsor, which will serve intermediate stations at Pearson, Guelph, Kitchener-Waterloo, London and Chatham. Ontario has also allocated $C 15m ($US 11m) to carry out a comprehensive environmental assessment.

Collenette’s report outlines two possible options for the project. Scenario A is a 300km/h electrified line operating primarily on dedicated rights of way. Scenario B in an electrified line using a combination of existing infrastructure and dedicated new alignments to achieve speeds of up to 250km/h.

The assessment found that Scenario A offered a Benefit-Cost Ratio (BCR) of 0.36 for Phase 1 (Toronto - London) and 0.17 for Phase 2 (London-Windsor), which rendered this option unviable. The low BCR resulted from the need for extensive tunnelling, which resulted in a base cost of $C 19bn excluding contingencies for the full corridor.

Scenario B has a BCR of 1.02 for Phase 1 and 0.24 for Phase 2, reflecting higher forecast demand on the Toronto - London section. The base cost for this option is $C 7.5bn excluding contingencies.

From Toronto’s Union Station, high-speed trains would travel along Go Transit’s Kitchener corridor, calling at Malton for Pearson Airport, and at Guelph station. HSR trains would share the line with the Union Pearson (UP) Express and Go RER services on the corridor to Kitchener. This mixed operating model is likely to require a number of infrastructure improvements on this section and costs could be shared with the RER project. A peak high-speed service of three trains per hour is proposed on this section, with two trains per hour off-peak.

From Kitchener-Waterloo’s planned multimodal station high-speed services would continue their journey west to London on a new dedicated double-track line, with sustained speeds of 250km/h anticipated on much of this segment.
The second phase from London to Windsor would run on a new electrified single-track line, which would run parallel to the existing Canadian National (CN) and Canadian Pacific (CP) lines.

The report says design and construction “should ideally start by 2022,” with commercial operations beginning in 2025. Implementation of the project will be overseen by a new governing entity, High Speed Rail Corporation (HSRCO). Ridership is forecast to reach 10 million passengers per year by 2041, with rail capturing an 11% modal share on the corridor, eliminating five million car journeys a year.

Toronto - Kitchener-Waterloo journey times would be cut to a minimum of 48 minutes by rail, compared with an average of 1h 14min for the current car journey. High-speed rail would offer a 25-minute journey time between Kitchener-Waterloo and London, compared with 46 minutes by car.

The corridor is home to around 7 million people and 60% of Ontario’s economic activity. “We’re growing and we’re outgrowing our current transport network,” says Wynne. “We have to provide faster, better, more sustainable transport options. The best time to build high-speed rail was 40 years ago. The second-best time is today. So that’s what we’re going to do.

“There have been a lot of excuses in the high-speed rail debate in Canada - the country is too large, the population is too small, it won’t be worth it. Those were commonly-held views in the 70s, 80s, 90s, and early 2000s. It may be that they made sense then. But it’s 2017 and that has changed. We know there’s enough demand that we need to get moving on this. The next generation don’t believe those excuses. They have been to other parts of the world, they know there are better ways to get around.”
I get that they're going to try to save money by using existing ROW, but how an Ontario HSL could not serve Mississauga and Hamilton is beyond me. Maybe they'd build a line there at some point; I don't know. Also, hopefully they'll make provisions to least double-track the London-Windsor section at some point in the future. Considering population density along this corridor, there's potential for a lot of induced demand from a project like this.
Old May 25th, 2017, 12:13 AM   #98
skyridgeline

Likes (Received): 1203

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaticko View Post
I get that they're going to try to save money by using existing ROW, but how an Ontario HSL could not serve Mississauga and Hamilton is beyond me. Maybe they'd build a line there at some point; I don't know. Also, hopefully they'll make provisions to least double-track the London-Windsor section at some point in the future. Considering population density along this corridor, there's potential for a lot of induced demand from a project like this.
And to Ottawa and Montreal. It would be competing against the bus and airline services .
skyridgeline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2017, 04:27 AM   #99
aquaticko

Well, those would be an eastward extension of the planned route; not serving Mississauga and Hamilton is just an unfortunate choice for the route as planned. I suppose the rationale for not doing either is probably the same: $$.
Old May 25th, 2017, 04:55 AM   #100
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10786

The benefit of HSR is mitigated if you have too many stops. If southern Ontario does build HSR it should be part of a HSR network. This should be seen as the first stretch of the Quebec City - Windsor line that connects up to a future Detroit - Chicago line.

Eventually another HSR line from Union to Buffalo through Hamilton would make sense with NYC - Toronto by HSR being the goal. Adding a stop in Mississauga doesn't make sense imo.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote