SkyscraperCity Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Metrolink - Proposals

10M views 52K replies 763 participants last post by  Little Spoon 
#1 · (Edited)
In order to seperate progress on the extensions from other chat about Metrolink, am kicking off this new thread with some images of the work on the Chorlton branch which I've brazenly borrowed from some nice chap on flickr (called Andrew L. Roberts - bravo to you fella, :cheers: very well taken and informative piccies! This first one has Wilbraham Road Bridge in the background:

Looking north from Ayres Road Bridge:

Looking south from Ayres Road Bridge:

Anyone got any more???

See less See more
#5 ·
Excellent idea for a thread this Marko and after years of nothing it's great to see some new tram lines finally being built in the UK.
Cheers Zim. Flickr seems a good repositiory of peoples images but if anyone knows of anymore photo sites we can scour, then please flag them up and I'll search for other images.

Also if any of you Metrolink lovers get the chance to go and explore the routes then do please post any nice images you get here!

Be great to have a full record of these long awaited extensions :)

#10 ·
Those tunnels are incredibly expensive, the one on the Eccles line is by a country mile the most expensive track was have.

This tunnel very nearly did not happen and a similar tunnel in Oldham town centre that would be required is just about killing any chance of it happening.

Forget digging underground, have a look at the transport expenditure thread to see how fragile the Yes / No on each budget is.

Making the laying of tracks ten times more expensive, as sticking them underground is, would mean we get one hell of a lot less bang for our buck, which in turn means fewer authorities buy into the idea.

Anyway, wrong thread.

#11 ·
Those tunnels are incredibly expensive, the one on the Eccles line is by a country mile the most expensive track was have.

This tunnel very nearly did not happen and a similar tunnel in Oldham town centre that would be required is just about killing any chance of it happening.
I think what Mez's saying is that since the tunnel is so expensive might it not be worth getting some value back from it by allowing development above it.

I can see why this wouldn't happen, as if you're building a system on a very tight budget its very difficult to justify extra expense on a real estate gamble. Would the site above the tracks really be that valuable? There's no station below it and Great Ancoats Street is hardly the most glamourous location, so probably not.

As a rule though I see Mez's point. It's a shame the need to get maximum value from every penny means the system suffers in terms of interconnectivity, regeneration benefits and social impacts. However better to have a flawed system than no system at all.

#14 ·
In order to seperate progress on the extensions from other chat about Metrolink, am kicking off this new thread with some images of the work on the Chorlton branch which I've brazenly borrowed from some nice chap on flickr (called Andrew L. Roberts - bravo to you fella, :cheers: very well taken and informative piccies! Sorry I have no idea if this is legal or not but if you're Andrew and you're not happy with us showing your images obviously we'll take 'em down!)
That's what they're there for! Thanks for the plug, I always wonder if anyone's looking at them. I've got a few more that I haven't uploaded yet.

Anyone up for a last drive down Elsinore Road before it's cut off next week?

Andrew (the L is only there because flickr wouldn't yet me use plain Andrew Roberts!)

#16 ·
Hopefully, before too long, we could see further extensions (pretty much the same as promised in the TiF bid) to Oldham Town Centre, the Airport & East Didsbury, as per AGMA's wish list today.

This being dependant on whether the 10 councils agree on upping coucil tax bills (no one would have to pay more than £2.70 a year). I can deal with that :)

If the councils do agree, work on the extended extensions could commence as early as this September.

Being the optimistic chap I am, I think this could actually happen.

Fingers crossed...

#17 ·
Scouse in Manc, have a read of the actual AGMA report.

It pretty much rules of the Trafford Centre and the Oldham town centre lines. The airport line may happen, however 7 of the councils will have to vote in favour of some serious council tax rises to pay for it all.

Have a look at Dave Ottewell's blog for a link to the relevant AGMA report.

Other things like integration and electronic ticketing are formally killed off too.

#19 ·
Think we will get at least 7 of the 10 councils to agree about something, whether that is to top slice the LTP and increase council tax to pay for these though I really do not know.

Do not have a clue.

Thankfully no local elections this year so the council leaders can do things with no concern about being kicked out in a month or so.

#20 ·
Hopefully, before too long, we could see further extensions (pretty much the same as promised in the TiF bid) to Oldham Town Centre, the Airport & East Didsbury, as per AGMA's wish list today.

This being dependant on whether the 10 councils agree on upping coucil tax bills (no one would have to pay more than £2.70 a year). I can deal with that :)

If the councils do agree, work on the extended extensions could commence as early as this September.

Being the optimistic chap I am, I think this could actually happen.

Fingers crossed...
Nice timing! Looks like plans have gone through today (well, technically yesterday now) for extensions to Oldham and Rochdale town centres. AGMA's approved £84 million for the scheme. No news on a timetable for construction so far.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=36573022&postcount=4734

Don't suppose you've got Saturday's lottery numbers have you Scouse?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.