daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > West Africa > Nigeria > Urbanism related discussions > Projects and Constructions > Eko Atlantic City

Closed Thread

Old September 18th, 2007, 06:10 AM   #1
naijalove

Likes (Received): 1

LAGOS (Nigeria) | Eko Atlantic City | Masterplan

Please, anyone with details or information of this New Lagos being planned. I got a wind of it on Thisday but not details. Here is a picture:

It's just on the front page, no details

http://www.thisdayonline.com/
naijalove no está en línea  

Sponsored Links

Old September 18th, 2007, 06:14 AM   #2
naijalove

A little more

Quote:
THISDAY Summit: Fashola, Others to Market New Lagos

•Uwais, Akinyemi, Agbakoba, Carrington to discuss electoral reforms •Over 25 global CEOs cinfirmed
By Mary Ekah, 09.18.2007

The proposed new-look Lagos will be a major highlight of THISDAY’s special international summit holding in New York, USA, on Monday, September 24, 2007.
Governor Babatunde Fashola of Lagos will lead the drive for investment for his dream New Lagos, his pet project of developing Badagry and linking it to the rest of the state with a modern transportation system, provison of first-class infrastructure in the state, mass housing and tourism.
Experts and financiers from Dubai Holdings are expected to share experiences on the making of Dubai, regarded as one of the most beautiful cities in the world.
The “New City on the Atlantic” which the Lagos State government is planning to develop is part of the Mega City Project.
The Summit, with the theme “Nigeria Meets the World: Turning Challenges into Opportunities,” will, in addition to discussing the The Case for Lagos Mega City, will treat topical issues on Energy, Oil, Gas & The Niger Delta, Rebuilding Infrastru-cture, Deepening Financial Sector Reforms, Fighting Corruption, Ensuring Elec-toral & Democratic Reforms, and Climate Change: Why Nigeria Counts.
Already, the former Chief Justice of the Federation, Justice Muhammed Uwais has confirmed his participation at the event.
Uwais, who is the chairman of the Electoral Reforms Panel recently inaugurated by President Umaru Musa YaríAdua, will moderate the break-out session on Ensuring Electoral & Democratic Reforms.
He will be joined by two other members of the Electoral Reforms Panel, Professor Bolaji Akinyemi and Chief Olisa Agbakoba who have both confirmed their participation.
Former US ambassador to Nigeria, Mr. Walter Carrington, has also confirmed his participation and will be a discussant on political reforms.
The summit will be graced by the Special Guest of Honour, President Yar’Adua of Nigeria, who will give the keynote address.
Dr. Lawrence H. Summers, former US Treasury Secretary and President, Harvard University, is the Guest Speaker.
Other confirmed speakers are Mr. James Wolfensoh, former President of the World Bank Group, and Dr. Henry Kissinger, former US Secretary of State.
The plenary session will be chaired by Chief Emeka Anyaoku, former Secretary-General of the Common-wealth.
As at last night, 27 global CEOs of oil companies, international banks and analysts had also confirmed participation.
Intending Nigerian participants are advised to register at thisdayonline.com/nigeriameetstheworld to book spaces at the summit.
Old September 18th, 2007, 11:06 AM   #3
Matthias Offodile

Likes (Received): 1212

It sounds very promising ....but we need to get more information on it. But why aren´t the planners building it where Marina is? Badagary is so far away.
Matthias Offodile no está en línea  
Old September 18th, 2007, 01:18 PM   #4
adebayoa

Likes (Received): 4

Well done Naijalove, you beat me to it
adebayoa no está en línea  
Old September 18th, 2007, 03:45 PM   #5
pappy

Likes (Received): 0

Looks good.
pappy no está en línea  
Old September 18th, 2007, 04:14 PM   #6
naijalove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias Offodile View Post
It sounds very promising ....but we need to get more information on it. But why aren´t the planners building it where Marina is? Badagary is so far away.
Yes it sounds promising. Lagos is probably the size of New York, so distance is not the issue, as NY has it's shares of spaced out cities.

Badagry has a lot of history to it that could also serve as a center for tourism. The Slave ports and monuments of Badagry itself could be a tourist attractions, and a city with hotels, restaurants and night clubs around the slave ports could be a good idea. Ghana and Senegal developed their slave ports. Very few people know that 40% of slaves were taken from Nigeria alone.

The Plan is a megacity. Meaning this is just one of many city centers that are planned. Besides, between the Marina and Badagry we could see lots of real estate spuring up.

The will link Badagry with the Marina using a metrorail. I think it is a good idea.
Old September 18th, 2007, 04:15 PM   #7
naijalove

Quote:
Originally Posted by adebayoa View Post
Well done Naijalove, you beat me to it
As soon as I saw it on Thisday, I had to bring it in.
Old September 18th, 2007, 05:25 PM   #8
SportBilly
Fairplay

@naijalove

I think you should save that picture and link to it from Photobucket or something. I see that you linked to it from the frontpage of the ThisDay website. The picture changes very often and you'll lose it once the Thisday webmaster changes the frontpage story.
SportBilly no está en línea  
Old September 18th, 2007, 05:25 PM   #9
Artemis
Modulor Man

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by naijalove View Post

hope we see details soon..
Old September 18th, 2007, 05:31 PM   #10
Matthias Offodile

Quote:
Yes it sounds promising. Lagos is probably the size of New York, so distance is not the issue, as NY has it's shares of spaced out cities.

Badagry has a lot of history to it that could also serve as a center for tourism. The Slave ports and monuments of Badagry itself could be a tourist attractions, and a city with hotels, restaurants and night clubs around the slave ports could be a good idea. Ghana and Senegal developed their slave ports. Very few people know that 40% of slaves were taken from Nigeria alone.

The Plan is a megacity. Meaning this is just one of many city centers that are planned. Besides, between the Marina and Badagry we could see lots of real estate spuring up.

They will link Badagry with the Marina using a metrorail. I think it is a good idea.
As a whole, this project makes me very curious. I have already been googling for more news, could n´t find it yet. I think that it is still too fresh, so we need to follow it regularly
But I am not so fond of converting a former slave trade centre into a party and leisure zone. People dancing and celebrating in and or around a former slave trade centre is a spooky thought. (no "second Ibiza" there, please). It is just as if you would build huge hotels, funky bars and discos around former concentration camps in Germany where millions of Jews were viciously gased.
As for "Ile de la Gorée" in Senegal, yes, it is pretty nicely developped spot but no loud discos are there, it is only a place with restaurants, NO big hotels or high-rises, only small privately run hostels/hotels and local art shops and galleries, museums, restaurants and soon a huge centre in memory of the former slave trade equipped with modern library and so on. So what I wanted to say is the approach has to be soft, careful and smooth
Maybe you meant this and I got you wrong.

Quote:
They will link Badagry with the Marina using a metrorail. I think it is a good idea.
This is of importance when Badagary should be developped but new highways should also be built.

Well, let´s wait and see
Old September 18th, 2007, 05:36 PM   #11
Matthias Offodile

Quote:
@naijalove

I think you should save that picture and link to it from Photobucket or something. I see that you linked to it from the frontpage of the ThisDay website. The picture changes very often and you'll lose it once the Thisday webmaster changes the frontpage story.

Sportbillyl

I "photobucketted" it now. So it will stay!

Old September 18th, 2007, 07:06 PM   #12
Kenguy

Likes (Received): 517

Quote:

Lagos needs many other CBD's besides the Marina area. I think it should use the Tokyo model with many CBD's. Its the only way to develop a mega city.
Old September 18th, 2007, 07:46 PM   #13
iluvnaija

matthias badagry is not just a slave port but a premium tourist area..its gt some of the best beaches and waters in lagos and is prime location to set up anything based on tourists
iluvnaija no está en línea  
Old September 18th, 2007, 07:58 PM   #14
Matthias Offodile

Quote:
matthias badagry is not just a slave port but a premium tourist area..its gt some of the best beaches and waters in lagos and is prime location to set up anything based on tourists
You needn´t explain this to me, I know it. but the sentence "Badagry has a lot of history to it (...) and a city with hotels, restaurants and night clubs around the slave ports could be a good idea."
Slave trade is a highly sensitive issue and I was a bit baffled by the idea of building a tourist centre with night clubs, big hotels and other leisure facilities AROUND it. Tourism needs a more soft approach around those grim spots. That´s the point that I was traying to make, maybe I misinterpreted Naijalove´s sentence.
Old September 18th, 2007, 11:49 PM   #15
pappy

Buildings in the render look too short, I hope they are going to be taller and I hope this isn't another white elephant project.
pappy no está en línea  
Old September 19th, 2007, 03:52 AM   #16
Michaelda
BANNED

Quote:
You needn´t explain this to me, I know it. but the sentence "Badagry has a lot of history to it (...) and a city with hotels, restaurants and night clubs around the slave ports could be a good idea."
Slave trade is a highly sensitive issue and I was a bit baffled by the idea of building a tourist centre with night clubs, big hotels and other leisure facilities AROUND it. Tourism needs a more soft approach around those grim spots. That´s the point that I was traying to make, maybe I misinterpreted Naijalove´s sentence.
nigeria tends to be very insensitive to slavery and need to better appreciate it instead of looking at it as a "money spinner"
Michaelda no está en línea  
Old September 19th, 2007, 04:30 PM   #17
Rdokoye
I'm The King

Likes (Received): 236

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelda View Post
nigeria tends to be very insensitive to slavery and need to better appreciate it instead of looking at it as a "money spinner"
That's kind of ironic, considering that was the basis of slavery, even after the abolishment, African people are still trying to profit from the slave trade
I still believe that the one thing that will bring peace, absolute peace, to this country, the type of peace we want attached to development, is to liberate Ndi Igbo and there is no better act of liberation than accepting that they have equal right in Nigeria.

~ Emeka Odumegwu-Ojukwu, Ikemba
Rdokoye no está en línea  
Old September 19th, 2007, 05:47 PM   #18
naijalove

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportBilly View Post
@naijalove

Thanks. Matthias just did it.
Old September 19th, 2007, 05:48 PM   #19
naijalove

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtHabitat3 View Post
hope we see details soon..
You know.
Old September 19th, 2007, 05:52 PM   #20
naijalove

Quote:
But I am not so fond of converting a former slave trade centre into a party and leisure zone. People dancing and celebrating in and or around a former slave trade centre is a spooky thought. (no "second Ibiza" there, please). It is just as if you would build huge hotels, funky bars and discos around former concentration camps in Germany where millions of Jews were viciously gased.
As for "Ile de la Gorée" in Senegal, yes, it is pretty nicely developped spot but no loud discos are there, it is only a place with restaurants, NO big hotels or high-rises, only small privately run hostels/hotels and local art shops and galleries, museums, restaurants and soon a huge centre in memory of the former slave trade equipped with modern library and so on. So what I wanted to say is the approach has to be soft, careful and smooth
Maybe you meant this and I got you wrong.

This is of importance when Badagary should be developped but new highways should also be built.

Well, let´s wait and see
I get your point but the fact remains that the slave monument is not going to lie fallow. If you want people to visit it and remember the past, there has to be a place for them to stay and other things you can offer while they take time to reflect on the monuments of the past. The main reason no one knows about Badagry monuments is because there is simply no world standard facilities around for people to stay.

On the issue of commercial centers, Badagry was as much a commercial town as it was a slave town. This project runs in line with Badagry's heritage, both as a slave port and as a commercial town in its own right. I think this project is the best way to capture the two.

Closed Thread

Tags
lagos nigeria, nigeria