SkyscraperCity Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Metrolink - Proposals

10M views 52K replies 763 participants last post by  Little Spoon 
#1 · (Edited)
In order to seperate progress on the extensions from other chat about Metrolink, am kicking off this new thread with some images of the work on the Chorlton branch which I've brazenly borrowed from some nice chap on flickr (called Andrew L. Roberts - bravo to you fella, :cheers: very well taken and informative piccies! This first one has Wilbraham Road Bridge in the background:

Looking north from Ayres Road Bridge:

Looking south from Ayres Road Bridge:

Anyone got any more???

See less See more
#10,008 ·
LNGCats said:
The regular Metrolink thread is only about 300 posts behind.
Had not realised that had so many posts in it.

Between the three threads we have well over 22,000 posts - wow!
Until a few weeks ago the main Metrolink thread had around 200 more posts than this! Just shows how quickly this forum moves.
The SSC Android app i sometimes use usually displays the specific number of posts in each thread, but now it simply says '10k+' :D

#10,009 ·
Considering the mess at MediaCity trying to operate the points manually I can't see them doing that on the busy Altrincham line.

Is there a turnback at Trafford Bar if they wanted to terminate Chorlton trams there, or is Cornbrook the nearest?
Last December I met some senior Stagecoach people at their offices in Derby and our conversation turned to Metrolink. It was only a passing comment but they remarked that integrating the new lines while changing the signalling system and plugging it all in to the existing infrastructure was feindishly complicated and had shades of the complexity in upgrading the West Coast Main Line (presumably writ small).

As always with projects like this, it's the stuff you don't see that usually causes the most angst, especially in the latter stages.

#10,012 ·
Someone mentioned a while back that a Banana had been fitted with ATS, 3014 I think it was... what is ATS? Is that the old signalling system?
ATS is the old signaling system. As you would expect all the 10xx and 20xx trams have it. Banana's 1 to 12 where delivered with it and the TMS system but 13 & 14 have had ATS added since being in Manchester.

All the other banana's only have the TMS equipment.

#10,014 ·
First time I've seen track on that bridge JdR thanks for this and other excellent photos as usual - so question: after leaving Piccadilly, what sections of track are still missing between there and this shot?

And, if you know, how far up this route does the overhead go??

(What I'm getting it obviously is where the line compares to Chorlton?) :)
This bridge is at Thorpe Road on the first stage of the Oldham Rochdale Line so it runs from Victoria. The track is in all the way from Piccadilly, the fist 1.5 km being the original Phase 1 route from Piccadilly via Victoria to Queens Road. At Irk Valley Junction it then picks up the Oldham Line through Smedley and Monsall to terminate at Central Park at present. The section to Central Park is awaiting opening as with Chorlton at the moment.
Sorry if this sounds like I am being pedantic but I got the feeling you thought the structure was on the East Manchester Line.

#10,015 ·
I have to put my hand up here and confess that I don't know. Would be fascinated to learn. After all, changing from signal control to drive-on-sight is hardly a simple affair.
ATS is the Automatic Tram Stop kit which stops the tram if the driver tries to pass a red signal. Along with the Vehicle Recognition System (VRS) which is the original loop system for traffic lights and street points it makes up the original signalling kit on the trams.

#10,018 ·
Ashton, IKEA roundabout. The kerb edge of the trambaan is between the 20 signs - all road traffic will be to the right of this in future, so it may not have to disturb the shrubbery or buildings on the left after all? The roundabout itself is already smaller now :-

Hi,

Thanks very much for excellent photos and the wealth of technical info from many posters on this thread, and apologies if my first post is somewhat contradictory, especially of one who is obviously so revered and respected by the community for his excellent work.

However, I don't believe that JdR's interpretation of this scene is quite correct. I think that the kerbing where the 20 signs are is to create a reservation between two road traffic lanes, one on the left filtering directly on to Lord Sheldon Way, and the one on the right joining the roundabout. The trambaan, I think, will be behind the fencing on the left.

But I could be wrong.

Cheers.

#10,019 ·
Got up a bit late - whoops - missed post 10,000 :lol:! It's amazing that this forum has reached 10,000 posts... I've only just really joined up properly, but I've been reading it for about 18 months, it's really informative and you can have a healthy debate! A big hand to everyone who has taken their own time out to take photos and post them up on here... without you lot this forum wouldn't be the goldmine it is!

I'm looking forward to my first Piccadilly-Chorlton tram ride. I remember being 15 and going on the tram from Manchester - Broadway the first weekend it opened, and how exciting it was to be on a new tram, going up and down all those gradients at Exchange Quay and Anchorage. Unforunately, Broadway was a bit of a dead zone so there was nothing to do when I got there! At least in Chorlton I can mooch around for a bit and have a pasty!

I reckon it'll open 1st week of July, TB junction pending. When it does open, I'm going to get a System 1 Bus and Tram and do the whole Metrolink network!

#10,020 · (Edited)
Last bit of back-patting before we move on!

Was on the phone to Johnny encouraging him to be post 10,000 while it happened but he is such a demure fella he wanted one of you others to get it.

Bravo to Scouse who not many of you know is working on a stonking rail-based project (sorry for outing you there) which will surely be revealed by the good man soon. All power to that SiM.

Nevertheless, though he will hate me for writing this, IMHO Johnny definitely wears the crown of this thread along with some other superb posters who have enriched our (sad old) lives with these wonderful pictures and informed posts, I'm raising a glass to you all - hic - well we drink wine all day here!

(This is one of my favourite JdR piccies which really sums up development in Manchester: http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/xx61/Johnny_de_Rivative/101_1367.jpg
It includes the restored historic railway bridge, the new Metrolink signage and the landmark building of the last few years. You have a great eye for these things Johnny):cheers:

Other SSC Picture-posting Royalty who deserve a mention in the roll of honour too:
ashleyB/
Ashtonian/
futurelink/
High-Fi/
JoyDivision/
LNGCats/
loweskid/
marni1971/
martin2345uk/
motortownman/
nymanic/
Tony_H1/

Plus huge thanks to the likes of:
360x/
A6/
AlexL33/
andymark/
andysimo/
apologiesfor/
bendoyle/
berty/
billiam/
brendagoats/
chogmook/
ChorltonBloke/
concrete/
conn1231/
ExManc/
Fernando/
fjs/
flange/
freel07/
future.architect/
gavin/
gerbil/
heatonparkin/
Iheart/
IrishBlood/
JospehLocke/
jrb/
kriis101/
macc/
mackenzie/
madferret/
manclad/
metman/
mode1/
mostlylurking/
mrcool/
nymanic/
priscilla/
r02bapurdie/
railranger/
rob793/
steveperk/
soupcon/
tomegranite/
traffordboy/
tucbiscuit/
TrainGuard/
VoldeBlack/
Watcher/
WingTips/

(Sorry if I've missed any of you out - only skimmed thru last month of regular posters - even those who've only done one are valued)

You all seem to be making this the most dynamic and fascinating thread - only site I look at religiously and look forward to reading every day!

PS Thanks to Freel - yes I was a tad confused there! Blame the cheap red plonk! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.