daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 4th, 2008, 04:35 AM   #1
Nexis
Greetings form New Jersey

Likes (Received): 1221

(SC4) Sim City 4 Highways & Autobahns

This is a thread for (SC4) Sim City 4 Highways & Autobahns!!
Post Photos of your Sim City 4 deluxe version custom Highway creations mainly (RHW) Rural Highways , Unique Interchanges , Realistic recreating of a real highway , Bridges , Tunnels , Service Plazas , and Border Crossing if you made one.

Don't show any of your cities in Pictures ; example don't show an overview of your city, just show your Highway & Autobahn creations.

Heres Mine, i can't find any of my old good photos.

But heres the Camden Inlet Bridge in my fictional region of Sorg. (cancelled due to virus)

Copy and Paste the code from the Photo onto the forum.

Last edited by Nexis; February 12th, 2009 at 12:20 AM.
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old June 4th, 2008, 05:45 AM   #2
Haljackey

Likes (Received): 45

Nice bridge Nexis! I may as well show a few of mine here:

I hope you enjoyed them!

Best,
-Haljackey

My Simcity Stuff
Haljackey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2008, 11:11 AM   #3
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 4513

I like those stacks, though it's not that common to have the through lanes on top.

my clinched highways • highway pictures @ Flickr and Youtube
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2008, 12:21 PM   #4
deasine
=)

Likes (Received): 46

Cool highway sets!!!! =O Where did you guys download them?
deasine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2008, 12:35 PM   #5
Muttie

Likes (Received): 504

try simtropolis.com
Muttie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2008, 01:56 PM   #6
The Knowledgeable
Obeznany

Likes (Received): 1

I've always searched for the modd that makes the highways dark (as if paved with asphalt) in many SimCity websites including Simtropolis but I found it nowhere. Can anyone please tell me where I can find it?
Old June 4th, 2008, 10:25 PM   #7
Chris_533976

Likes (Received): 14

These are a few copy/pastes I did over at Simtropolis for a highway fantasy thing I did on one of my cities. A loooot of work went into it which the non highwayers over there didnt appreciate

------------------------------------------------------------------------

These pics inspired it all, I got a traffic generator with a deliberately badly designed terminus.

And it went from there....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As mentioned above, the developing region of Cobsleigh lacks a highway connection to Rogers Island due mainly to resident protests. This results in frequent jamups on the main route into the town, which traverses an industrial estate. This is unpleasant for the locals, but legal proceedings will hopefully be won by the highway construction consortium. The main at-grade avenue in Cobsleigh will eventually connect with the proposed Cobsleigh junction to the west - this avenue was built by the town council and not by the regional motorway authorities, hence its construction without major environmental issues.

Here is a picture of the reserved highway alignment through the centre of the town. Naturally there is no development in the corridor. The highway construction consortium is charged with keeping this area as free of vegetation as possible, to ensure no animals and plants take residence before construction begins.

In the meantime, Cobsleigh is known as a traffic blackspot.

UPDATE -

A motorway order leaked to the press by a (now fired) junior executive has revealed that part of the Cobsleigh motorway may have to be ELEVATED. This development is rumored to be the result of the construction of the Cobsleigh Suburban Rail network, a 4 track interchanging railway that links the eastern suburbs of Cobsleigh with Rogers Island to the north and the proposed Brill Caves developments to the west. Problems with local road rerouting issues were the mainline to run under the main city avenue were also highlighted.

Furious campaigners called for the mayor to resign, some further locals are now backing the campaigners, calling for none of the structure to be elevated. The mayoral response was that several historic buildings would have to be demolished to reroute local roads due to the bridge and that the compulsory purchase order would "add significant and unsustainable cost factors into the development that would reduce funding in unacceptable ways across the rest of the financial spectrum". Campaigners rejected these concerns, pointing out the additional cost of two elevated regions.

Small scale city protests occured near the main alignment, but no major problems were reported.

Announcements on the final motorway alignment are due soon and will be reported here.

Update 3

Cobsleigh residents rejoice! Today marks the publication of the official motorway plans to be set before the GRV Board of Planning for approval. Years of traffic misery may finally be over with the release of the deposit maps of the M1 Rogers Island to Cobsleigh Motorway Scheme. Areas of Compulsory Purchase are marked on the map.

For the uninitiated, here is the current main access route into Cobsleigh. Yellow indicates the current route, red the proposed motorway route. The benefits are clear.

Changes from the project displayed at the public hearing have occurred - having listened to residents concerns only a small elevated section will be included and the proposed grade separated Cobsleigh junction has been modified to be an at-grade roundabout. This can easily be upgraded in the future to a full grade separated junction upon construction of the future M1 Cobsleigh to Brill Caves project.

The following is the first page of the 269 page motorway order for the scheme.

The brochure gives the following map and details for the proposed project. Note the elevated section, at grade roundabout, road bridge and local roundabout access.

Construction is dependent on final approval from the GRV Board of Planning. If accepted, it is anticipated that construction will begin immediately on this much needed scheme.

THE TIME HAS COME.

After years of wrangling, years of legal issues, years of community division and years of traffic mayhem, construction of the M1 Rogers Island - Cobsleigh scheme began recently, promising a new era in cooperation between the suburbs.

The day of construction start - the official sod turning ceremony!

Within a couple of days the route was awash with clearance and ground works on the mainline.

Clearance also took place recently at the location of the scheme termination roundabout. This image was snapped during the demolition of one of the compulsorarily purchased buildings.

In Rogers Island, clearance also took place. Note the beginning of construction of the roundabout on the left as well as work on the bridge.

Meanwhile, back in Cobsleigh, the main avenue became a hive of work one weekend, as the main bridge abutments for the elevated section were installed overnight. This resulted in minimal traffic disruption. Work on part of the ground section can be seen in the background.

Its over. Finally the highway is built and the streets of Cobsleigh and Rogers Island are free from overcrowding and ceaseless commuter traffic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

These pics were taken during the second half of construction.

Due to the realignment of the avenue and construction of the roundabout, the main avenue throughfare had to be reduced to one lane contraflow. Not pleasant for commuters, but necessary. Hard core base can be seen on the right for the realignment.

Some more hard core base being put into the mainline before the construction of the carriageway ->

Work continued also in Rogers Island, the roundabout to the left was completed ahead of schedule and preparatory work continued on the road bridge.

The motorway was closed overnight and the road bridge installed. This pic was taken after opening of the new structure.

Then the big moment came! Opening was scheduled for 2pm on the 8th March.
This pic was taken at 1.55pm ->

And this was taken at 2.05pm. Relieved drivers sample the new highway and relieved homeowners listen to the substantial reduction in noise and pollution outside their doors.

An aerial view of the junction at the termination of the scheme. Significant ground work is still to be done, however the road is now fully open for drivers and there should not be any more closures.

An overview of the Cobsleigh area after opening.

Update #5.

Its over. Finally the highway is built and the streets of Cobsleigh and Rogers Island are free from overcrowding and ceaseless commuter traffic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

These pics were taken during the second half of construction.

Due to the realignment of the avenue and construction of the roundabout, the main avenue throughfare had to be reduced to one lane contraflow. Not pleasant for commuters, but necessary. Hard core base can be seen on the right for the realignment.

Some more hard core base being put into the mainline before the construction of the carriageway ->

Work continued also in Rogers Island, the roundabout to the left was completed ahead of schedule and preparatory work continued on the road bridge.

The motorway was closed overnight and the road bridge installed. This pic was taken after opening of the new structure.

Then the big moment came! Opening was scheduled for 2pm on the 8th March.
This pic was taken at 1.55pm ->

And this was taken at 2.05pm. Relieved drivers sample the new highway and relieved homeowners listen to the substantial reduction in noise and pollution outside their doors.

An aerial view of the junction at the termination of the scheme. Significant ground work is still to be done, however the road is now fully open for drivers and there should not be any more closures.

An overview of the Cobsleigh area after opening.

Remember the horrendous jams at the previous motorway end in Rogers Island?

Gone.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was a huge amount of work to make that and only a few people were interested, hope that changes here
Chris_533976 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2008, 12:33 AM   #8
shoreditchpete

Likes (Received): 1

I enjoyed that report Chris, it was really entertaining and seemed really professional, maybe more shall follow?

(any plans to introduce slip-lanes to the terminating roundabout junction to ease congestion?)
shoreditchpete no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2008, 04:31 AM   #9
Nexis
Greetings form New Jersey

Likes (Received): 1221

Heres some Rural Highways i made today!!

Benson Toll Plaza

Rural Highway underpass Conrail / Fast Link Express Line

Overview

Closeup of the underpass area

Rural Highway Route 9 / Exit 11 " Downtown Palmont

Sorry i forgot to take day photos!!

I take some later and post them tommorrow
Copy and Paste the code from the Photo onto the forum.
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2008, 06:17 AM   #10
Xusein
Xornimo

Likes (Received): 3449

Cool idea! Let me contribute with my regional highway system in my region of Eslandia!

A4 in downtown near the arena

A2 crossing a railroad

A2-A3 stack intersection

Diamond interchange on A3

A3 crossing urban areas

A little farther, A3 crossing an office park in suburbia

A1 crossing an elevated train

Hope you enjoyed.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2008, 03:50 PM   #11
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 2

Great views! I just bought the game a few weeks ago, so I'm not that far yet.
Old June 5th, 2008, 06:25 PM   #12
Jeroen669

Likes (Received): 9

Nice shots! I used to play Locomotion a lot, but you can't make real motorways with that game. I have only played with a very old version of SC, which was crap, but this looks awesome.
Jeroen669 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2008, 06:38 PM   #13
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 442

Welcome Haljakey, i am sc4portugal.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2008, 10:48 PM   #14
Chris_533976

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoreditchpete View Post
I enjoyed that report Chris, it was really entertaining and seemed really professional, maybe more shall follow?

(any plans to introduce slip-lanes to the terminating roundabout junction to ease congestion?)
Thx

The roundabout is long gone and theres a full ring road dealy around half my map now Havent worked on it for months tho.
Chris_533976 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2008, 12:20 PM   #15
juanico
Daily Commuter

Likes (Received): 5

Great work Chris, that's a pretty nice improvement for sure.
juanico no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2008, 05:11 AM   #16
Haljackey

Likes (Received): 45

Wow, nice job everyone! Chris, thats a massive project!

Here are some more of mine:

Best,
-Haljackey

My Simcity Stuff
Haljackey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2008, 01:36 PM   #17
r-g-b

Likes (Received): 0

I love the picks thanks.

This isn't really relivant but I had to give up on sim city 4 because it would crash every 5 minutes (really anoying!!!!) does any one have any susgestions?
r-g-b no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2008, 01:44 PM   #18
brightside.
Honorary Scouser

Likes (Received): 7839

Did you use cheats to build this fancy stuff or did you play by the rules?
Old June 7th, 2008, 04:43 PM   #19
Verso
Synchronized User

Likes (Received): 1875

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10ROT View Post
A2 crossing a railroad
This crossing looks suicidal on the right!
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2008, 07:07 PM   #20
Alle

Likes (Received): 3

Interesting that so many here play it, altough not so surprising maybe .

Ive just started playing my region, dont have any recent shots but il try to start it at a ridiculously high resolution and take a screenshot of the whole city in game...

here are some older ones.''

Interchange:

The main highway and corridor through my capital:

Castles And Fortresses [Alpe Adria] [Bosnia]

Last edited by Alle; June 8th, 2008 at 10:39 PM.
Alle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
game, highways, motorways, sim city 4, urban