daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > East Africa > Kenya > Projects, Construction and General Discussion > Transport and Infrastructure

Transport and Infrastructure Transport, infrastructure and other related discussions

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 15th, 2010, 03:43 PM   #1
ernestombayo7
Veteran

Likes (Received): 281

Ngong Road | Nairobi

image hosted on flickr

People,am too excited to wait for more detailed information to post this.having to use this Road daily while going to karen when i was in kenya was a nightmare of untold proportions.2 hours on a 15Km journey?TThe traffic congestion and poor state of the road.Finally the Roads minister confirmed the stories that ngong Road was set for an expansion into a dual carriageway.

Quote:
NAIROBI, Kenya, November 15 - The Ministry of Roads is set to expand three major roads in the city at a cost of Sh17 billion in a move aimed at reducing both traffic congestion and road accidents.

Roads Minister Franklin Bett said on Monday that Outering Road from Thika Road up to the Jomo Kenyatta International Airport (JKIA) would be upgraded to become a dual carriageway.

He pointed out that Ngong Road will also be a dual carriageway from the Uhuru Highway round about through the City Mortuary to Ngong town.

He said the expansion would also been done on Langata Road to ensure smooth flow of traffic.

“We are discussing with development partners and planning so that by next year we may start work on those roads. “We are expanding to reduce on the five percent contribution by roads to road accidents,” Mr Bett said.

The Roads Minister was speaking during the launch of the National Road Safety Awareness and Education Week where he pointed out the heavy toll on life as a result of road accidents.

Read more: http://www.capitalfm.co.ke/news/Keny...#ixzz15MWVwCWb
Under Creative Commons License: Attribution Non-Commercial No Derivatives

I am hoping more information will be available once the projects are tendered for.
ernestombayo7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old November 15th, 2010, 03:51 PM   #2
joseeric08

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernestombayo7 View Post
image hosted on flickr

People,am too excited to wait for more detailed information to post this.having to use this Road daily while going to karen when i was in kenya was a nightmare of untold proportions.2 hours on a 15Km journey?TThe traffic congestion and poor state of the road.Finally the Roads minister confirmed the stories that ngong Road was set for an expansion into a dual carriageway.

I am hoping more information will be available once the projects are tendered for.
Man.This is the greatest news we can have here.These two roads(outering and Gong rd) are the worst imaginations Nairobians have.
Let this proposal come to pass.AMEN!
joseeric08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2010, 05:50 PM   #3
Kenguy

Likes (Received): 560

OK...Now this is worth a toast.

To a single carriage and roundabout free Nairobi.

I'm surprised they want to also expand Langata road. I wonder if they meant extending that road to the Brookhouse junction (Magadi road) or they meant making it a six lane highway.
Old November 15th, 2010, 06:01 PM   #4
ernestombayo7
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenguy View Post
OK...Now this is worth a toast.

To a single carriage and roundabout free Nairobi.

I'm surprised they want to also expand Langata road. I wonder if they meant extending that road to the Brookhouse junction (Magadi road) or they meant making it a six lane highway.
I am sure they meant from the Langata cemetery to Bomas junction.Or maybe they might just be generous enough to extend it to karen.hehe.( I know i know am being too selfish).
Old November 15th, 2010, 07:58 PM   #5

Likes (Received): 0

Great news. I was driving on Ngong Road on Tuesday and thinking that something really needs to be done. I can't wait to see how Nairobi will look 2 -3 years from now!
700184 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2010, 09:37 PM   #6
nairoberry

Likes (Received): 755

this is great news
nairoberry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2010, 06:47 PM   #7
ernestombayo7
Veteran

So finally i got a response from the Ministry Of Roads after 3 months of waiting.
I had sent them an email asking about the planned Ngong Road expansion.This is the Copy of the email i have received from the public relations officer.I will post my question and the replies from the Rachel Keino the Public Relations officer.

Quote:
Q..Are there any plans to expand this road(Ngong Road)?What is the scope of the
work?Will it be a dual carriage way all the way from kenyatta to
ngong?

A. Yes it is true that Ngong road is due for an expansion to a dual carriage way.
the road will be done in two phases.(a) All Saints Cathedral to Adams Arcade and (b)Adams Arcade to Ngong town.

Q.Who is going to finance it,given it was not allocated in the
current budget?

A.Japanese Government is funding the project.

Q.When do you expect the actual construction to begin and when will it
be completed?

A.For phase 1, the designs and environmental impact assessment reports have been adopted and contract documents are being finalized for tendering by the Kenya Urban Roads Authority. Expect construction work to begin in early 2011. Phase 2 is still under design.

Q.And on another unrelated post,there was talk of an elevated highway on
uhuru highway,is this project still on?

The Nairobi Urban Toll Concession Project (the elevated highway on Uhuru Highway) is currently undergoing due diligence by the World Bank and as soon as this is complete the contract documents will be signed for concessionaire to move to site.

Rachel Keino,Public Relations officer, Ministry of Roads.
So that's it folks.I had asked for designs,but i did not get them.Atleast they replied.
Old November 16th, 2010, 10:40 PM   #8
atramp

Quote:
image hosted on flickr

Outerring Road finally...Now if I saw works beginning Iwould be more than excited
atramp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2010, 05:28 AM   #9
Amboseli Daima

Likes (Received): 82

Pheww,finally i can feel some long waited relief coming for my "shaggs" My two options to downtown,ngo'ng rd+arwings kodhek, are nightmares.
Amboseli Daima no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2010, 10:09 AM   #10
Kenguy

Likes (Received): 560

Quote:
So finally i got a response from the Ministry Of Roads after 3 months of waiting.
I had sent them an email asking about the planned Ngong Road expansion.This is the Copy of the email i have received from the public relations officer.I will post my question and the replies from the Rachel Keino the Public Relations officer.
Thanx for sharing Ernest.
Old November 17th, 2010, 03:21 PM   #11
Paul Gwe

Likes (Received): 4

This as Kenguy pointed out needs a toast, man traffic during rush hours is insane! This is very good news to Nairobians. Speaking of Langata Road, i also think they are talking about the stretch from the cemetery all the way to Karen round about (well i hope).
Paul Gwe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2010, 09:47 PM   #12
Sehemu_nyeti

Good lord. I am so happy to hear this. I live alongside Ngong road and the traffic is always crazy especially between prestige and City mortuary. This is the greatest news I've heard all year.
Sehemu_nyeti no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2010, 10:31 PM   #13
mwanamwiwa

Likes (Received): 837

''Sehemu Nyeti".Doesn't that mean.......!!?
Old November 18th, 2010, 11:04 PM   #14
ernestombayo7
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sehemu_nyeti View Post
Good lord. I am so happy to hear this. I live alongside Ngong road and the traffic is always crazy especially between prestige and City mortuary. This is the greatest news I've heard all year.
Sehemu Nyeti,hehe.We should brace ourselves for some demolitions along this road to pave way for the expansions.
Old December 2nd, 2010, 11:28 AM   #15
abckris

Likes (Received): 240

Ngong Road is long awaited and this is the best news ever. When I saw Langata road done, albeit halfway, I felt jealous that Ngong road had been left. To have maximum impact of traffic flow the road should be dual carriage upto Kiserian, then The Langata road dula carraiage should also proceed upto Kiserian to meet Ngong road there, then Karen road can dissect also witha dual carriageway between the two. This would give the policy makers some sleep for some time, as they will relieve the southern part of the city of most of the traffic jams at least arising from these roads. They can then focus on where these roads lead to through the by-passes and link roads which are planned or/UC
abckris no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2010, 11:29 AM   #16
abckris

Likes (Received): 240

Ngong road expansion, best news this year!!

Ngong Road is long awaited and this is the best news ever. When I saw Langata road done, albeit halfway, I felt jealous that Ngong road had been left. To have maximum impact of traffic flow the road should be dual carriage upto Kiserian, then The Langata road dual carraiage should also proceed upto Kiserian to meet Ngong road there, then Karen road can dissect also witha dual carriageway between the two. This would give the policy makers some sleep for some time, as they will relieve the southern part of the city of most of the traffic jams at least arising from these roads. They can then focus on where these roads lead to through the by-passes and link roads which are planned or/UC
abckris no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2010, 01:43 PM   #17
pmwathi
sERIOUSly.sERiOUs

Quote:
Originally Posted by atramp View Post

Outerring Road finally...Now if I saw works beginning Iwould be more than excited
Oh YeaaahOh Yeah
between airport north rd n donholm, the craters created by ss mehti(that bullshit bogus cowboy road demolishion tool) n the jam squeeze, cannot wait
pmwathi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2011, 04:54 PM   #18
ernestombayo7
Veteran

Franklin bett the roads minister says Ngong Road will be done by the chinese government.It will be dual carriageway from Adams Arcade to Karen Shopping centre.
Old January 10th, 2011, 04:55 PM   #19
ernestombayo7
Veteran

Also in the same clip he reveals the construction of the Southern bypass will start in 2 months time.
Old January 11th, 2011, 01:51 AM   #20
Paul Gwe

Likes (Received): 4

How i wish these projects can speed up, we need these bypasses like yesterday!
Paul Gwe no está en línea   Reply With Quote