daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Old September 11th, 2006, 02:08 AM   #1
kilgoretrout

Likes (Received): 1

KT/EU 06 :: LISBON :: 89 photos

you last heard from me in june, when i was about to leave with my girlfriend, the indominatable mlle. laine, for europe. six weeks, seven destinations, eleven plane rides: we're back. it wasn't quite a whirlwind tour, since we had about a week to soak up each place, except for lisbon.

i am preparing ten threads that i will post in august and september. this is the fifth.

KILGORE IN EUROPE :: Photo Schedule

01 -- LONDON (Part One)
02 -- PARIS (Part One)
03 -- ROME
04 -- MADRID (Part One)
05 -- PARIS (Part Two)
06 -- LISBON
07 -- MADRID (Part Two)
09 -- PARIS (Part Three)
10 -- LONDON (Part Two)

the photos in this series were taken by myself, except for those taken by mlle. laine, which are noted.

LISBON

forgive the obvious analogy, but lisbon is like a bottle of port: it tastes better after having aged in our memories. lisbon, unfortunately, was the victim of bad timing. we spent only two and a half days there at the end of our trip, so we were tired and kind of homesick. it was a weekend in the middle of the summer, which meant that the city seemed half asleep. the traditional downtown area, the baixa, gave off a rather incidental, stagnant feel, and other parts of the city were sluggish.

despite our initial disappointment, though, lisbon has grown on us. its hills, crisp nights and water views are beautiful, its food is delicious and it has an intriguing nightlife composed of tiny living-room-sized bars that sell takeaway beer. i would definitely like to go back, perhaps in the spring or fall when the city is livelier.

a note about these photos: our first full day in lisbon (a saturday) was so perplexingly quiet we spent the evening in lisbon's branch of the giant spanish department store, el corte inglès, the only place in the city that didn't feel shut down for the summer. this was bigger than any of the locations we visited in spain: it was more like a mall than a department store, complete with a multiplex cinema in the basement. on sunday, an even quieter day, we decided on a spur of the moment to hop on the train and take it to estoril, in the eastern suburbs of lisbon, which we decided to visit because of a vintage 1920s postcard advertising mild weather and beautiful beaches. lo and behold, when we arrived, it seemed as if le tout-lisbonne was hanging out along the seashore. it was one of the more memorable days of our trip.

kilgoretrout no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old September 11th, 2006, 06:35 AM   #2
ablarc

Likes (Received): 0

What a beautiful and diverse city! Wonderful photos. Thank you.
ablarc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2006, 07:06 AM   #3
FREKI
Pip pip pip boom..

Likes (Received): 2090

Great pics!
Old September 11th, 2006, 09:49 AM   #4
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 1789

Awesome pictures! Your are really talented.
Tiaren está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2006, 10:13 AM   #5
oduguy1999
The Big Easy Forever

Likes (Received): 3

you have taken some of the best pictures i have seen in a long time, great job on a beautiful city.

-Dr. Seuss
oduguy1999 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2006, 12:53 PM   #6
Nikom
Avoid the Noid

Likes (Received): 127

Lovely pics kilgoretrout,great work
Nikom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2006, 01:10 PM   #7
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 15

Unfortuantely, the photos havn't worked for me, all X's. I spent two weeks in Lisbon a couple of years ago, and loved every minute of it. Also staying in summer, I too found the city center to be rather quiet. However, I discovered that the main shops was actually to be found slightly left of the city, in the hills around Bairro Alto & Chiado (close to where the public lift takes you). From there was a busy shopping street much more active than the main center of town.

Of note we stayed in Monte Estoril, which is between Estoril and Cascais. It's just a pity you didn't walk around the cliffs (or take the train to the last stop) and visit Cascais, as it was much nicer than Estoril (and the walk following the sea was stunning)

I loved Lisbon, and highly recommend you spend more than two days next time. We spent two weeks and that wasn't enough.

check out my gallery here: http://www.pbase.com/jchambers/lisbon
Old September 11th, 2006, 04:06 PM   #8
Mr Bricks

Likes (Received): 321

You´re talented! Great tour!
Mr Bricks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2006, 04:46 PM   #9
kilgoretrout

justme, the photos should be working now.

actually, we did walk from estoril to cascais, so we did see the cliffs after all. by that time we were quite hungry and tired, though, so we spent some time eating chicken on one of the aforementioned cliffs. cascais really was a nice town and certainly a lot busier than lisbon on a sunday -- all of the shops in the mall were open even though everything in central lisbon was closed tight!

we also spent most of our time in chiado (where we stayed, on the rua do duque) in bairro alto. the border between the two (the square -- i forget its name) was by far the liveliest part of lisbon.

don't worry, we'll spend more than two days there next time. it's definitely a place to which we'll be returning.
Old September 11th, 2006, 05:46 PM   #10
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilgoretrout
justme, the photos should be working now.

actually, we did walk from estoril to cascais, so we did see the cliffs after all. by that time we were quite hungry and tired, though, so we spent some time eating chicken on one of the aforementioned cliffs. cascais really was a nice town and certainly a lot busier than lisbon on a sunday -- all of the shops in the mall were open even though everything in central lisbon was closed tight!

we also spent most of our time in chiado (where we stayed, on the rua do duque) in bairro alto. the border between the two (the square -- i forget its name) was by far the liveliest part of lisbon.

don't worry, we'll spend more than two days there next time. it's definitely a place to which we'll be returning.
Sorry, I can see that now, that the photos are up. Great photos as usual!

Year, it did seem odd that the city center closed on Sundays, but the suburbs had many shops open. I was quite surprised by that as well. I have to agree still that the shopping in downtown isn't very good, which is quite odd for a European city. I loved that walk between Estoril and Cascais. And when reaching Cascais, there were some nice narrow lanes to walk past, the Marina with some great resturants, and a beautiful park.
Old September 12th, 2006, 04:55 AM   #11
streetscapeer
hmmm......

Likes (Received): 622

awesome...looks lovely and laid back!
streetscapeer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2006, 07:10 AM   #12
kilgoretrout

thanks!
Old September 13th, 2006, 04:49 PM   #13
Paulo2004
Luso from Aveiro

Likes (Received): 27

I understand. But the truth is the portuguese prefer shopping in the dozens of shopping malls and shopping centres in the outskirts of Lisbon rather than making use of traditional shops and boutiques.

Yes, on Sundays Lisbon shuts down. In summer everyone if off to the beaches, on holidays elsewhere in Portugal or simply resting at home. Don't expect much from Lisbon on a saturday and especially on a sunday. However, it's great for strolling around and sightseeing since you'll have almost all of the city for yourself.

You'll also find many lisboners in the modern section of the city - Park of Nations. But I guess you'll discover that on your own next time you visit Lisbon.

Another advice for anyone visiting Portugal or Lisbon: NEVER but NEVER leave this part of Europe for last on your holiday trips. You'll get frustrated for not visiting it first or spent much more time here.

Por Portugal com paixão!- Murtosa em Fotos

For the best photos or information on Portugal, visit the PORTUGUESE FORUM.
Paulo2004 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2006, 05:11 PM   #14
Kc3000~China
OH!My ChinaGirl!

sexy beach
江-有-顔-砌----堪-夜-多-月
春-幾-改-應----囬-又-少-何
水-多-。-猶----首-東-。-時
嚮-愁----在----月-風----暸
東-?----,----明-。----。
流-------------中--------
。-------------。--------
Kc3000~China no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2006, 11:50 PM   #15
Paulo2004
Luso from Aveiro

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kc3000~China
sexy beach
lol

Por Portugal com paixão!- Murtosa em Fotos

For the best photos or information on Portugal, visit the PORTUGUESE FORUM.
Paulo2004 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2006, 12:45 AM   #16
TeKnO_Lx

Likes (Received): 166

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo2004
I understand. But the truth is the portuguese prefer shopping in the dozens of shopping malls and shopping centres in the outskirts of Lisbon rather than making use of traditional shops and boutiques.

Yes, on Sundays Lisbon shuts down. In summer everyone if off to the beaches, on holidays elsewhere in Portugal or simply resting at home. Don't expect much from Lisbon on a saturday and especially on a sunday. However, it's great for strolling around and sightseeing since you'll have almost all of the city for yourself.

You'll also find many lisboners in the modern section of the city - Park of Nations. But I guess you'll discover that on your own next time you visit Lisbon.

Another advice for anyone visiting Portugal or Lisbon: NEVER but NEVER leave this part of Europe for last on your holiday trips. You'll get frustrated for not visiting it first or spent much more time here.
Paulo sayed it very weel, anyway i can teel u "Baixa" is very much going under renovation/rehabilition or as plans to do it in these coming years
there is a masterplan being done for the zone, which includes renovation of urban front between Cais do sodre train station and Santa Apolonia train station (proibing cars) and total rehabilition of old buildings. Like u saw there are many old buildings in Lisbon and many of them need rehabilitation. real rehabilitation started in 2002, so as u can see its a long way to go. grafitties are a big deal, specialy in Bairro Alto, although there´s ppl who like it and "fits" on the easygoing and cultural environment. i hate it
there are many calmer and longer beaches before Estoril (Santo Amaro, Carcavelos for ex), actualy that is one of the crowdest and more tourist b´cause i guess it´s closer to Cascais resort town. Sintra has one of the best beaches in Portugal u just "missed the cake" for a few kilometres

anyway loved ur fotos, one of de best i´ve seen in a long time about my city
thanks u very much for sharing

p.s my fav pic

Last edited by TeKnO_Lx; September 15th, 2006 at 12:52 AM.
TeKnO_Lx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2006, 01:26 AM   #17
Barragon
Barra for Friends

Likes (Received): 1413

Amazing pictures.... Congratulations

They're very good!

The Latest Photo Reports: Região de Lisboa :: Alentejo

Fat people are harder to kidnap
Barragon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2006, 01:29 AM   #18
mynuster
E.I.!

Likes (Received): 36

great pics
Old September 15th, 2006, 01:31 AM   #19
Barragon
Barra for Friends

Likes (Received): 1413

Topless!

The Latest Photo Reports: Região de Lisboa :: Alentejo

Fat people are harder to kidnap
Barragon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2006, 01:48 AM   #20
Fern

Likes (Received): 826

You seem to love to photograph people (especially black people)!
Great pics
Perhaps next time you'll be able to visit Sintra.. you won't be disappointed if you do!
Fern no está en línea   Reply With Quote