daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation All about taking us higher

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 12th, 2011, 05:32 PM   #21
xxxriainxxx
Filipino.

Likes (Received): 2116

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesunsled View Post
MANILA-NAIA, THE BEST AIRPORT I'VE EVER SEEN, DURING 70'S

INCHEON AIRPORT, THE BEST AIRPORT OF THE DECADE
This was the Manila International Airport then until it got burned down in 72 and replaced by T1.

Manila International Airport then:

From Paulo Alcazaren

For me, the best airport in Asia is Siem Reap International Airport (Cambodia). It's got character.

Others are just sterile duplicates of each other.

Sponsored Links

Old October 12th, 2011, 07:49 PM   #22
patchay

Likes (Received): 1144

Ermm.. do we need another thread for this? Haha I thought I saw it somewhere similar.

Anyway the best for me is HKIA followed by Changi (facilities!!), Survanabumi (massive!!), Dubai (duty free!!), Incheon and KUL.

Here's some pics of KUL... remember end of next year KUL will witness the opening of a NEW TERMINAL called KLIA2 that will contain the world's largest airport mall...

Quote:
Originally Posted by World 2 World View Post
KLIA Jungle Boardwalk. Jungle in the Airport
image hosted on flickr

by melody
Quote:
Originally Posted by nazrey View Post
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

hy (4) by Ayham_A320, on Flickr
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.hanoi View Post
Kuala lumpur In't Airport

Quote:
image hosted on flickr

Inter-Airport-City Express

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrooms View Post

PATCHAY | Website | Facebook | Flickr | Twitter | Instagram | Foursquare

Last edited by patchay; October 13th, 2011 at 03:36 PM.
patchay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2011, 10:37 PM   #23
ruffaramboo

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxriainxxx View Post
This was the Manila International Airport then until it got burned down in 72 and replaced by T1.

Manila International Airport then:

From Paulo Alcazaren

For me, the best airport in Asia is Siem Reap International Airport (Cambodia). It's got character.

Others are just sterile duplicates of each other.
From 5th worst, NAIA-1 now world’s worst airport
http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/nation/me...-worst-airport

by David Dizon, abs-cbnNEWS.com

MANILA, Philippines – The Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) Terminal 1 has fallen into disrepute and is now ranked the world’s worst airport due to poor facilities, bribery and security concerns, according to an interactive website.

The Guide to Sleeping in Airports (http://www.sleepinginairports.net) said NAIA Terminal 1, which was ranked the 5th worst airport in the world and the worst in Asia last year, is in bad shape compared to the much newer NAIA Terminal 3. It noted that a portion of the ceiling of the NAIA Terminal 1 caved in last May.

“Bribery and theft exists. Airport taxes are collected, but the money does not seem to go towards the betterment of the airport. Document holders have been told their papers are not correct, but a fee of x amount should clear up the matter,” the website noted.

The website said airport officials promised to clean up NAIA-1 toilets and provide running water and soap after a spot of bad press. It said the terminals are lacking services such as left luggage and pay-in lounges for transit passengers.

“Forget about sleeping in this airport! You will not want to even close your eyes here!” the website noted.

However, it said a big plus for the 30-year-old terminal is the free WiFi in the "passenger movement" areas.

Based on poll votes, user reviews

The website said it ranks the world's least favorite airports based on poll votes and user reviews for reasons such as safety concerns, lack of comfortable seating, rude staff, hostile security, poor facilities, few services to pass the time, bribery and being kicked out or other hassles of being in the airport.

The NAIA Terminal 1 was completed in 1981 and had a size of 67,000 square meters with a design capacity of 4.5 million passengers per year. It was originally named the Manila International Airport and then renamed after the late Senator Benigno "Ninoy" Aquino Jr. in 1987.

The terminal has been a frequent target of criticism with travelers who say it is congested and filthy.

The NAIA-1 was ranked lower than some airports such as the Paris Beauvais, Reykjavik Keflavik, Frankfurt Hahn, London Lutton and Los Angeles International Airport (LAX).

Not-so-pleasant experiences

Several reviews on the website gave their not-so-pleasant experiences in the Philippines’ first international airport.

User Monette said she lost her cellphone between the drop-off at the entrance and the security check after someone slashed the side pocket of her handbag with a sharp knife.

“I mentioned it to the PNP officer and he referred me to an airport policeman. This guy had the guts to suggest that I go to the lost and found office and check if they found it. Long story short, he didn't even get my name and address to file a report and was just saying: ma'am there are many thieves in this airport. Just look after your belongings!" the review said.

Another reviewer, livingabroad, commented that he had seen airport workers trying to pocket trinkets and phones from bags while not allowing passengers near their belongings.

The same reviewer also noted that a concession stand at the gates was selling bottles of water that had already been opened and reused with broken seals “and they pretended to break the seal on the bottles when selling.”

User shizumasa said he had travelled to many airports and stayed overnight in some of them, “but nothing compares to the experience at NAIA. In short, it’s a horrible waste of time and you should all hold on to your wallets as tightly as possible.”

“I especially advise any foreign travellers to avoid this airport, the amount of corruption and bribery is just mind blowing.”
ruffaramboo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2011, 11:28 PM   #24
Sky Harbor
Green + Maroon = Blue. :D

Likes (Received): 38

Do we really have to drag this issue out here? On A.Net, they say that the list is subjective.

I learned to appreciate NAIA for what it is, and in time, I also learned to appreciate KUL, SIN and HKG as some of Asia's best airports. Anyone who thinks that NAIA is the world's worst simply because backpackers can't sleep in MNL has probably not traveled as much as I would have hoped.
Old October 20th, 2011, 04:48 AM   #25
tunatuna

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Harbor View Post
Do we really have to drag this issue out here? On A.Net, they say that the list is subjective.

I learned to appreciate NAIA for what it is, and in time, I also learned to appreciate KUL, SIN and HKG as some of Asia's best airports. Anyone who thinks that NAIA is the world's worst simply because backpackers can't sleep in MNL has probably not traveled as much as I would have hoped.
Because a lot of Pilipinos are just frustrated on how our airport ended up to be one of the worst. At least for me that's what I feel.

From the best to the worst... nakakaluha.
tunatuna no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2011, 09:46 AM   #26
Sky Harbor
Green + Maroon = Blue. :D

Likes (Received): 38

Therefore the media has to blow it up in our faces and take a list patronized by backpackers to imply that the airport is indeed the worst in the world? The local media must be having a field day.
Old February 20th, 2012, 02:58 AM   #27
junstein

Likes (Received): 75

cebu mactan internation airport TERMINAL 2

junstein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2012, 04:42 AM   #28
ddes

Likes (Received): 248

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Harbor View Post

If MNL was located in Africa, sure, it's fine, but it's a chicken-and-egg situation. If Philippine Airlines or Cebu Pacific have any ambitions to become a hub carrier as strong as Cathay Pacific or AirAsia, it needs to have a hub with facilities which are passenger-friendly, which means catering to First, Business as well as Economy passengers, some of which might need to layover overnight at MNL for connections.

It's not about backpackers, it's about making the airport attractive enough to become a major hub. And it's a pity, because MNL is ideally located in Southeast Asia to be a gateway to the US, and it's not utilizing what it's got.
ddes está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2012, 04:48 AM   #29
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 6626

Think this thread has turned the opposite into a Worst Airport of Asia discussion.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg | Moscow | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Sydney | Hanoi | Bangkok | Prague

New York, London, Seoul, Taipei, Mumbai, Tokyo, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2012, 03:49 PM   #30
sathya_226
DIPLOMAT

Likes (Received): 24

Quite amazed to see that India's New Delhi T3 is not featured any of these lists..
sathya_226 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2012, 03:21 AM   #31
sidney_jec
Complex Equation

Was going to add that.

here are some pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishals View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidney_jec View Post
Departure area

CC: Myself
Quote:
Continued

Quote:
Shopping - Delhi Duty Free

Quote:
Continued

Harley

Quote:
Arrival area (just had a glimpse of it)

Check in counters

Waiting lounge

Quote:
Boarding gates

myIncredibleIndia | flickr | Sids Photography | Will you fight a monkey?

kevo123 liked this post
sidney_jec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2012, 03:27 AM   #32
sidney_jec
Complex Equation

Hyderabad International Airport - Has been winning top awards for one of the top airports in the world under 20 million category

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrari_fan View Post
A few pics I took last week.. (Presume this thread is the right place for pics of HIAL?)

image hosted on flickr

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbie501 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAN R View Post

All rights reserved by Raj's Photographic Illustrations
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAN R View Post

All rights reserved by username8115

myIncredibleIndia | flickr | Sids Photography | Will you fight a monkey?
sidney_jec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2012, 07:31 AM   #33
shree711

Likes (Received): 22

I think that Hong Kong is still the best airport in Asia because:

1. Its lovely
2. Its efficient
3. The staff are good
4. The staff can speak English
5. It is an amazing engineering feat

kevo123 liked this post
shree711 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2012, 05:25 PM   #34
daniu79

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintm View Post
Wow call that Filipino Pride! World Class! Iconic!!! The Best!!!
He probably has never been to other airports beside NAIA hehehe
daniu79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2013, 09:53 AM   #35
kevo123
Indonesia

Likes (Received): 17089

HK, Changi, KLIA, Suvranabumi, Bejing capital international airports are few off the best work i've ever seen! although SHIA is lacking behind, however the airport in Jakarta itself has grown to be one of the world's busiest airport by passenger traffic! accomodating 57 million people and ranking the 9th position among the top 10 globally surprassing BKK and SG!
here are the map!:

the airport capacity of 48 million can no longer handle such growth and had to be expanded!
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitable View Post
Terminal 3 expansion

source
here are the latest update, work expected to start by next year!
Quote:
Originally Posted by emyrr3096 View Post
ready for big construction project?? (like TV advertisement)

source: @arifien from Instagram..

lalala yeyeye lalala yeyeye
Hajj Terminal just gone.. so T3 can starts the construction stage..

Architecture of Indonesia || Vernacular Architecture of Indonesia || Dutch Tropical Colonial Architecture of Indonesia ||
kevo123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2013, 10:01 AM   #36
kevo123
Indonesia

i know that SHIA isn't a great airport in terms of modernity but ill share it since its the busiest airport in south-East Asia
[IMG]image hosted on flickr
[/IMG]

interior:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ahead Eagles View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ahead Eagles View Post

Architecture of Indonesia || Vernacular Architecture of Indonesia || Dutch Tropical Colonial Architecture of Indonesia ||
Old June 15th, 2013, 02:04 PM   #37
onosqaciw

Likes (Received): 92

naturally it's difficult for Indonesia to win a best airport, due to the fact that most of airport is over capacity and more focused on catering more people than "served" people, afterall many airports in USA are not known for it's top position among the best airport

kevo123 liked this post
onosqaciw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2013, 03:14 PM   #38
kevo123
Indonesia

Quote:
Originally Posted by onosqaciw View Post
naturally it's difficult for Indonesia to win a best airport, due to the fact that most of airport is over capacity and more focused on catering more people than "served" people, afterall many airports in USA are not known for it's top position among the best airport
true, the only thing that is attractive with our airport is its very localized design and maybe their friendly staff, overall are lacking behind, but i really do have large expectation with the T3 expansion

Kuala Namu and the new Bali airport is good enough, not the best but im just glad they actually upgraded it into something else

and about US airport, LA airport is in desperate need for upgrades but then as long its functional i guest np