daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Los Angeles

Los Angeles » Development News | Transportation | Greater L.A. Area

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 10th, 2006, 01:17 AM   #1
svs

Likes (Received): 1

East side/West side

I found this post on LAcitynerd.

Eastside, Westside, all around the town...

There has been an ongoing conversation about where the Westside and Eastside Boundaries are in LA. In the broader scope of things, places like Montebello, Arcadia, and Pasadena are considered Eastside, while Santa Monica, Hermosa, & even Torrance could be considered Westside. But for the sake of this conversation, we're defining it to Eastside/Westside in the City of LA (and those cities that influence the monikers).

So, today, MayorSam writes a post that refers to Mack Reed, a Silver Laker, as an Eastside white guy. Now, just focusing on the fact that MayorSam calls him an eastsider, is he correct?

In having this discussion, here are some points to consider:
1. No matter what boundaries are discussed, there is no real street line that divides the Westside from the Eastside (or any other larger area of the City) - the borders are slightly blurred, depending with whom you speak. (One exception could be argued in that the Valley is clearly the area north of Mulholland.)
2. It is commonly known that Downtown is neither Eastside nor Westside. Downtown can be descirbed as the area north of the 10, west of the LA River, South of the 5/Elysian Park area and east of Alvarado. (This western border may be a sticking point for some - is Echo Park part of Downtown?)
3. The Westside and the Eastside are not the same as "West LA" and "East LA," respectively; we're talking here about the sweeping generalizations of the Westside of Los Angeles and the Eastside of Los Angeles.
4. In an Eastside/Westside conversation, the Valley nor the Harbor area are included in that east/west thing. Also, in terms of the City, the area south of Downtown is known as South LA to about Harbor Gateway (hence the name), as well as the area that makes up Council District 8. So, that area is also not part of the Eastside/Westside topic. (True, there are many communities within this broader "South LA," but that is generally its boundary with only minor conversation of whether to use the 10 as the divider or Washington (see #1).
5. There is an area of Los Angeles known as Mid City that is not Downtown, Eastside, or Westside. It is west of Downtown and includes the places like Miracle Mile, The Grove, & Koreatown.
6. Hollywood is it's own larger moniker that also includes other communities like Los Feliz and Franklin Hills as well, though part of it meshes with Mid City as you move south on La Brea.

So, understanding all of that, here's what I would use to define the Westside and the Eastside of the City:
The Westside
The areas east of (& including) Beverly Hills & West Hollywood are NOT the Westside, and that south of there, La Cienega would be a general dividing line as to what would be Westside. So, the Westside would be the areas west of the Beverly Hills border and La Cienega, in general, to the ocean. No matter how you slice it, Mar Vista, Del Rey, Palms, Westchester, Westside Village, Rancho Park, Beverlywood, Cheviot Hills, West Los Angeles, Westwood, Century City, Bel-Aire, Brentwood, Pacific Palisades, Playa del Rey, SoRo, Venice, and Playa Vista are all "Westside" (basically all of CD11, a portion of CD5, and a small piece of CD10.

The Eastside
Again, for the eastside, Downtown & Chinatown are not inlcuded, so you're looking at the LA River east from about the 10 north. This includes Lincoln Heights, Boyle Heights, El Sereno, Montecito Heights, Highland Park, Monterey Hills, Glassel Park, Hermon, Mount Washington, Cypress Park, Eagle Rock, and Garvanza. These ar the areas that are partly in CD14 and partly in CD1.

There is the question as to whether Atwater Village is eastside or not - some might argue not or try to get lumped in with adjacent Silver Lake. Some might even argue it's in the Valley as Glendale - its northeastern neighbor - is. I say: even though it's east of the river, it's not really Eastside, the same way that Silver Lake, Solano Canyon, Elysian Park, Los Feliz, and Griffith Park are not. Heck, Griffith Park used to (and technically still does) extend east of the LA River before the 5 was built. That's all part of the same community of "NoDo" North of Downtown (be it slightly northeast or slightly northwest).

Here is a "just ok" map of the communities in LA - it's not as detailed as I'd appreciate, but it'll have to do. (See how the Atwater delimma occurs?)

Also, here are some facts that may be just confusing the whole Eastside/Westside issue...

The Eastside Market (great meatball sandwiches!) is in Chinatown, which is really known as either "Downtown" or "Chinatown," not the Eastside.

The Silver Lake Film Festival believes that Echo park, Silver Lake, & Downtown are part of LA's Eastside.

The Westside Economic Collaborative defines the Westside as including Hollywood, Korea Town[sic], and the Wilshire District - which is clearly not the Westside.

Westside Rentals lists apartment rentals all across the region, not just on the Westside.

WestLA.com doesn't even mention any portion of LA City. (LA.Inc's competition, apparently.)

NOTE: Western Avenue and Eastern Avenue were once the west and east boundaries of the City - not any more...

So my question for all you fourmers out there, What exactly would you consider to be the boundries of LA's East and West sides?
svs no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old December 10th, 2006, 01:50 AM   #2
godblessbotox
la is pritty

Likes (Received): 12

...im confused, perhaps to many beard papas

me+flickr=joy
godblessbotox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2006, 02:42 AM   #3
solongfullerton

Likes (Received): 0

Regarding the west side, i agree with you on everything except the south robertson neighborhood. Personally, i feel the most southeastern neighborhood on the west side is palms. north of there, you have cheviot hills, century city, westwood, then bel air. thats a fairly straight line that i think seperates the westside from the rest of the city.
solongfullerton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2006, 04:22 AM   #4
archd1

why complicate things.....as far as I know, La Brea Avenue is the cut-off point. West of La Brea is generally considered the "Westside," and east of La Brea, the "Eastside," excluding Downtown and East LA. I've heard people from the westside say they do not venture east of La Brea and people on the eastside say the opposite. The bourgeois bohemians from the eastside like living there because "it is not the westside." So more than anything else this Westside/Eastside thing is a state of mind: the westside being more slick and glitzy, the eastside being more edgier and artsy-fartsy.
Old December 10th, 2006, 06:18 AM   #5
Fern~Fern*
Trick or Treat*

Likes (Received): 112

My understanding is Downtown, is simply Downtown. Anything east Of Alameda is consider the Eastside, Not East LA. The Westside is like Archd mention La Brea is the cut off of Mid City area. Then you have the Westside, not to compare to West LA at all. South LA is anything above King Blvd and not to pass the 105. so everything between Crenshaw to Alameda, King to 105 (Imperial Hwy) is South LA. The South Bay LA area is west of Crenshaw to the beach, then 105 Fwy to Rancho Palos Verdes. Cities like Carson, Wilmington, Downey, Lakewood, Cerritos are just consider SouthEast.

East of Sunset towards Downtown is consider North LA. Which is cities like Echo Park, Elysian Park, Mt Washington, Chinatown, Lincoln Height, Los Feliz and many more communities. Then you have the NorthEast El Sereno, Alhambra and those tiny communities, can't remember the names.

The funny thing is Hollywood, Beverly Hills, We Ho, are just in the mix. You will never hear I'm going to East or West Beverly Hills. It's funny if you do because the one mentioning is most likely not to be a Native or something. Then you have my hood which is consider SouthWest Airport area. We are not in the Westside nor in the South Bay. But if you drive pass Century Bl or LAX then it's the South Bay. Same if I drive down Lincoln to Jeff Ave then it's the Westside (Marina Del Rey).

So much confusion if you ask me......
Old December 10th, 2006, 06:37 AM   #6
Damien

Not that it matters, but the dividing street where the 100 East block meets the 100 West is Main Street. And as LA Nerd correctly points out, before the annexation orgy, the western and eastern borders of the city were once Western and Eastern.

Isn't it funny how simple things are when you ignore all the socio-economical/cultural crap associated with "westside" and "eastside": Main Street - Western Ave - Eastern Ave.

Imagine identifying Florence/Normandie as simply Central LA. San Pedro as South LA. Crenshaw and King as West LA. People would have fits!
Damien no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2006, 08:38 AM   #7
Elsongs
"There It Is, Take It!"

Likes (Received): 2

From my East Hollywood-born Native Angeleno point of view, I consider the "Westside" as west of La Cienega and the "Eastside" as east of the LA River.

I laugh when gentrohipsters call my part of town and Silver Lake (which they consider not just as one word but its own city) the "Eastside" when they're located *west* of Downtown L.A.

Personally my favorite term for my part of town is, "North Central L.A."
Old December 10th, 2006, 08:45 AM   #8
Elsongs
"There It Is, Take It!"

Also, in hip-hop slang, "Westside" ("WESSSOIIIDE!!") refers to the entire West Coast.
Old December 10th, 2006, 08:56 AM   #9
The Baz
Season Tix Avail

Wikipedia: West LA
This is how Wikipedia tackles this issue.

The neighborhoods:

Northern West Los Angeles
* Bel-Air
o Roscomare Valley
o Beverly Glen
+ Benedict Canyon
* Beverly Crest
* Beverly Hills
o Trousdale Estates
* Beverlywood
* Brentwood
o Brentwood Circle
o Brentwood Glen
o Brentwood Hills
o Brentwood Park
o Bundy Canyon
o Kenter Canyon
+ Crestwood Hills
o Mandeville Canyon
+ Westridge Heights
o South Brentwood
o Westgate
* Century City
* Cheviot Hills
* Crestview
* Malibu
* Pacific Palisades
o Castellammare
o Huntington Palisades
o Palisades Highlands
o Santa Monica Canyon
+ Rustic Canyon
* Rancho Park
o Home Junction
* Santa Monica
o Ocean Park
o Sunset Park[1]
o Santa Monica Canyon
* Sawtelle (V.A. Hospital)
* South Robertson
* Topanga Canyon
o Topanga
* West Los Angeles
o Sawtelle (Little Osaka)
* Westwood
o Holmby Hills
o Westwood Village

Southern West Los Angeles

* Baldwin Hills
* Culver City
* Del Rey
* Ladera Heights
* Mar Vista
o Westdale
* Marina Del Rey
* Palms
o Westside Village
* Playa del Rey
* Playa Vista
* Venice
o Oakwood
* Westchester

Last edited by The Baz; December 10th, 2006 at 09:03 AM.
The Baz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2006, 08:58 AM   #10
Elsongs
"There It Is, Take It!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Baz View Post
Wikipedia: West LA
This is how Wikipedia tackles this issue.
West L.A. is in the Westside, but the Westside isn't West L.A.
West L.A. is a community of Los Angeles roughly bounded by the 405 on the east, Culber City on the south, Santa Monica on the west and Brentwood on the north.
Old December 10th, 2006, 09:01 AM   #11
The Baz
Season Tix Avail

I won't dispute that but the article equates West Los Angeles (region) to "the westside."
There is a separate wiki article on West LA, CA. Of course to add to the confusion.

Last edited by The Baz; December 11th, 2006 at 06:06 AM.
The Baz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2006, 10:02 AM   #12
Fern~Fern*
Trick or Treat*

WestSide and West LA are two different areas..... no Doubt*

As far as East Hollywood, that's Lil Armenia now in days*
Old December 10th, 2006, 11:12 AM   #13
Elsongs
"There It Is, Take It!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferneynism View Post
WestSide and West LA are two different areas..... no Doubt*

As far as East Hollywood, that's Lil Armenia now in days*
I consider Little Armenia - and Thai Town - as neighborhoods within East Hollywood.
Old December 13th, 2006, 09:18 PM   #14
svs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsongs View Post
From my East Hollywood-born Native Angeleno point of view, I consider the "Westside" as west of La Cienega and the "Eastside" as east of the LA River.

I laugh when gentrohipsters call my part of town and Silver Lake (which they consider not just as one word but its own city) the "Eastside" when they're located *west* of Downtown L.A.

Personally my favorite term for my part of town is, "North Central L.A."
Well I tend to agree with you on this one. Maybe you could help the definitions from you post on the East Hollywood council.

I think we should reserve the term eastside for anything east of the LA river after it turns south around Griffith Park. Out here in Santa Monica, some say the West side is anything west of La Cienega, though I would accept anything west of La Brea myself. As for everything in the middle, Ijust refer to the neighborhood names, Hollywood, Silver Lake Echo Park etc.

In some ways the terms eastside and westside are more like directions than specific areas. If you live east of me, you're an east sider. If you live west of me, you are a westsider. Almost like New yorkers use uptown and downtown.
Old December 14th, 2006, 03:11 AM   #15
Elsongs
"There It Is, Take It!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by svs View Post
I think we should reserve the term eastside for anything east of the LA river after it turns south around Griffith Park. Out here in Santa Monica, some say the West side is anything west of La Cienega, though I would accept anything west of La Brea myself. As for everything in the middle, Ijust refer to the neighborhood names, Hollywood, Silver Lake Echo Park etc.
Definitely. It's an insult to the people living in the *real* Eastside.

The border is all relative...most annoying are people who delineate the Westside as "West of the *405*."
Old December 14th, 2006, 07:44 PM   #16
svs

Quote:
The border is all relative...most annoying are people who delineate the Westside as "West of the *405*."
You are right. Have you seen the T-shirts that read "There is no life east of Sepulveda."
Old December 14th, 2006, 10:34 PM   #17
Elsongs
"There It Is, Take It!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by svs View Post
You are right. Have you seen the T-shirts that read "There is no life east of Sepulveda."
No I haven't, which is good, since I'd instinctively kick the ass of whoever's wearing it.
Old December 15th, 2006, 03:54 AM   #18
Fern~Fern*
Trick or Treat*

Quote:
No I haven't, which is good, since I'd instinctively kick the ass of whoever's wearing it.

^ Chill Rocky!
Old December 16th, 2006, 06:57 PM   #19
klamedia
Silver Lake

Likes (Received): 158

Why can't we just go with this?:
http://www.laalmanac.com/LA/lamap2.htm
klamedia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2006, 08:18 PM   #20
ArchiTennis
Angeleeeeeeeno

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by klamedia View Post
Why can't we just go with this?:
http://www.laalmanac.com/LA/lamap2.htm
nah...i don't remember the last time anyone said, "let's go to central city"...where the hell is that? Downtown is more appropriate, for that whole area.
ArchiTennis no está en línea   Reply With Quote