daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 10th, 2015, 11:00 PM   #161
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Supermod

Likes (Received): 7302

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighomey3000 View Post
Obama's proposed budget provides $150m for the Mid Coast Corridor trolley line. Construction expected late this year

Now this is something long awaited in my opinion... this would complement existing services on Lines 30, 41, 50, 105, and 150, but I feel like once this is implemented, service cutbacks on those routes may be needed to drive people to light rail. And yet, I believe that the light rail will indeed be the anchor route between Downtown and UCSD... a few things:

- How will the light rail service impact current services on the three SuperLoop Routes (201, 202, and 204)? Will those three be eliminated and replaced by the light rail service, or will those still be in operation, albeit route modifications?

- How will the light rail service strengthen Westfield UTC's role as a transit hub, given that it already sees hundreds of trips per day with the MTS and Breeze (101)? And will there be a connection between the station and the mall that will help shift shoppers to use transit instead of driving?

- Will the MTS build a new depot somewhere to handle the additional demand along the northern section of the route? I mean, within University City, I see a dozen bus lines that criss-cross the area, so I suspect an additional train house somewhere can help provide shuttle service around University City and offer late-night services where needed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo Albums:

Let's Go, NINERS!

fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 26th, 2015, 04:36 AM   #162
Nexis
Greetings form New Jersey

Likes (Received): 7941

First Quarter 2015 Daily Ridership numbers for San Diego

Source : http://www.apta.com/resources/statis...rship-APTA.pdf

Light Rail
San Diego / SD Trolley - 123,600 (2015)

Commuter Rail
Oceanside / Sprinter - 9,400 (2015)
San Diego Suburbs / Coaster - 5,000 (2015)

Bus Ridership
San Diego / SDMTS - 186,900 (2015)
Oceanside / NCTD - 26,400 (2015)

< For Cityscapes , Nature , Food , Construction projects around the NYC Metro , and infrastructure

< Railroads and Urban Transportation in the Northeastern US
Please use the BBCode! when sharing my Photos on this site or others , it gives a link back to my Photo. It is very easy simple and easy to use.
Copy and Paste the code from the Photo onto the forum.

dimlys1994, Tyger-Wyger liked this post

Last edited by Nexis; August 28th, 2015 at 05:05 AM.
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2015, 05:05 PM   #163
Tyger-Wyger
That Crazy Transport Cat

Likes (Received): 16

Glad to see SDMTS ridership numbers staying high!

Do the Commuter Rail numbers include the Sprinter service? Or those who use Amtrak?

I think SDMTS will see a drop on Sunday traffic if the Chargers leave town. On the other hand, I don't see why they want San Diego to pay one third of the cost of a new stadium.

Reste trés bien comme un porc-épic!!!
Tyger-Wyger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2015, 06:38 PM   #164
Nexis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger-Wyger View Post
Glad to see SDMTS ridership numbers staying high!

Do the Commuter Rail numbers include the Sprinter service? Or those who use Amtrak?

I think SDMTS will see a drop on Sunday traffic if the Chargers leave town. On the other hand, I don't see why they want San Diego to pay one third of the cost of a new stadium.
Sprinter numbers are now in , it seems to be doing better then the Coaster.

< For Cityscapes , Nature , Food , Construction projects around the NYC Metro , and infrastructure

Please use the BBCode! when sharing my Photos on this site or others , it gives a link back to my Photo. It is very easy simple and easy to use.
Old August 28th, 2015, 03:18 AM   #165
Tyger-Wyger
That Crazy Transport Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
That sounds odd given the Coaster runs more trains over a longer route.

Old August 28th, 2015, 05:06 AM   #166
Nexis

Quote:
That sounds odd given the Coaster runs more trains over a longer route.
Has there been any large scale TOD projects along the corridor?

Old August 28th, 2015, 03:50 PM   #167
Tyger-Wyger
That Crazy Transport Cat

Quote:
Has there been any large scale TOD projects along the corridor?
Not that I know about. Then again, I live on the other side of the other ocean from San Diego.

Old August 28th, 2015, 03:52 PM   #168
Tyger-Wyger
That Crazy Transport Cat

Quote:
Rightly or wrongly, I took 'better' to mean more daily passengers. Were you perhaps talking about operating ratio or some other measure than bums on seats?

Old August 31st, 2015, 01:51 AM   #169
almo

Likes (Received): 218

Quote:

Sometimes I wonder about SDMTS, or at least certain parts of it. This really has to do with non-transport services and I'll give a few examples.

The SDMTS website is great at giving out fares, line folders and timetables, how to get from here to there and a lot of other helpful and practical information. It fails badly at self-promotion. Here are two cases in point.

There's a video two posts above this one that shows a U2 tram riding around in a wrap that says that SDMTS was named the BEST transit system in the USA for 2014. This is a remarkable achievement yet there is NOTHING about it on their website! I'm sure this was in all the local media when it happened but not everyone on the planet or even all of the readers of this forum are in touch with the San Diego media. This really should be on PAGE ONE of their site, no kidding. And it should stay there until the 2015 winner in announced. And it should continue to be mentioned in the future. They had a great accomplishment at the national level but seem to be keeping it mostly a secret.

From time to time I visit their site to get transit directions for friends in SD that need to make a one-time trip from here to there. One of my friends needed to go to the Transit Shop downtown. I easily found info about it on their website including the services they provide, opening hours, their address and their phone number. So far, so good. Then I noticed that something rather important was missing from the page. The Transit Shop's own page did not tell people how to get to the Transit Shop on the SDMTS's own buses and trams! That was exactly how my friend, who doesn't drive, had planned to get there. I had to made a transatlantic phone call to get the information from them. The information was gladly given and then I politely asked why this wasn't on their web page as people might find it very useful to know what bus or tram line and stop they needed for the Transit Shop. I got a stunned silence for a couple of seconds and then I was told that the person helping me would report it to their supervisor. That was six months ago and as of last week nothing has changed.

Same thing for the arrival of trams 4058 to 4065. No news. When I was there in September of 2013 it was known that 4057, the last tram on the current order, was about to be delivered. 4056 had recently arrived but had not yet entered service even though it was visible in the garage from Blue Line trams. Now I've heard (on You Tube, not the SDMTS website), that 4058 to 4065 were ordered and have arrived according to fan videos on You Tube. Same with the demise of the U2 fleet. Nothing more than a sentence or two about them being replaced this year. Nothing about 1018 and 1019 being preserved on a museum line elsewhere in California. Nothing about which U2's have already gone to Mendoza and which ones are expected to be next. Maybe SDMTS thinks this is fan-only stuff but at the same time it's telling their public that they are continuing to replace old equipment with new units that are more comfortable to ride, easier to board and are more efficient. This is also part of public image and it seems to get scant attention. Sooner or later the new extension to the Blue Line will be open up to SDSU and that will require even more new trams, something else they can brag about if they choose to.

Anyone else care to comment on this, especially those in the SDMTS service area?

T-W
Yes, Tyger-Wyger, I will comment. I also have been trying to find out how many units have gone to Mendoza. I have asked here before, but nobody seems to know. On the Mendoza forum I ask how many San Diego units have arrived, but nobody there knows, either. A 5.5 km extension of the Mendoza line will open soon, so they will need more rolling stock. Can anybody help?

Tyger-Wyger liked this post
almo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2015, 05:36 PM   #170
Tyger-Wyger
That Crazy Transport Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by almo View Post
Yes, Tyger-Wyger, I will comment. I also have been trying to find out how many units have gone to Mendoza. I have asked here before, but nobody seems to know. On the Mendoza forum I ask how many San Diego units have arrived, but nobody there knows, either. A 5.5 km extension of the Mendoza line will open soon, so they will need more rolling stock. Can anybody help?

Hi, Almo

I strongly suspect that all are gone by now with the delivery of the latest batch of S-70's. I'm sure a few in Mendoza will be used as a source of spare parts and will never enter service there.

I'd really love to get a list that shows each U2 by it's SDMTS number followed by its new number down there but I don't expect that to ever happen.

Old August 31st, 2015, 06:44 PM   #171
Nexis

Is there any chance they could reroute the Coaster line between Sorrento Valley & Hidden Valley within the Interstate 5 ROW using Tunnels? It would shave off a decent amount of time going around those curves.

Old August 31st, 2015, 11:55 PM   #172
Tyger-Wyger
That Crazy Transport Cat

Quote:
Is there any chance they could reroute the Coaster line between Sorrento Valley & Hidden Valley within the Interstate 5 ROW using Tunnels? It would shave off a decent amount of time going around those curves.
They have been talking for years or even decades about making that route double tracked and straighter and every so often they actually do something along those lines like adding a few hundred yards of a second track here or there. It seems to really bad near Miramar as the line diverges east to serve an industrial area and the Marine Base in the past. It would be nice if there was a more direct bypass as it would save time and the railways' fuel if they could go a shorter distance. The big question is; where are you going to put it that's not already built up?

And there's always the question of who would pay for it. A joint effort involving SANDAG, Amtrak and NCTD perhaps?

It took me a while to figure out where you were talking about. Sorrento Valley was easy to find as I've heard of it before. On the other hand a search for Hidden Valley took me to a secluded place between Thousand Oaks and Oxnard.
T-W

Old September 1st, 2015, 12:26 AM   #173
almo

Likes (Received): 218

Quote:
Hi, Almo

I strongly suspect that all are gone by now with the delivery of the latest batch of S-70's. I'm sure a few in Mendoza will be used as a source of spare parts and will never enter service there.

I'd really love to get a list that shows each U2 by it's SDMTS number followed by its new number down there but I don't expect that to ever happen.
Hi, T-W:
Thanks. I don't doubt that all are gone by now - but how many went? As for fleet numbers, Mendoza has renumbered them 1001+ but the highest number I see in pictures on their forum is 1010. How can that be? The old numbers are said still to be inside. If you or I were down there we could go to the yard and make a complete inventory in 15 minutes! But the fans there have no interest in that sort of thing. All they think about now is the new extension and what fares will be charged.

almo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2015, 05:27 AM   #174
sdery

Likes (Received): 8

I'll assume Hidden Valley refers to the canyon area south of UTC. There are actually plans to put a double track tunnel between these two areas with a possible underground station at UTC. Can't remember which website I saw this on (maybe sandag?) but there are a few options they are considering. I believe it is a low priority project given the cost and the desire to complete less costly double tracking on other parts of the line. That said, it would be great to have a tunnel there as the current route does add significant time (have traveled on this route several times).

sdery no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2015, 06:33 AM   #175
apinamies

Likes (Received): 251

Quote:
First Quarter 2015 Daily Ridership numbers for San Diego

Source : http://www.apta.com/resources/statis...rship-APTA.pdf

Light Rail
San Diego / SD Trolley - 123,600 (2015)

Commuter Rail
Oceanside / Sprinter - 9,400 (2015)
San Diego Suburbs / Coaster - 5,000 (2015)

Bus Ridership
San Diego / SDMTS - 186,900 (2015)
Oceanside / NCTD - 26,400 (2015)
Very low numbers. If you think size of this city.

apinamies está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2015, 07:16 AM   #176
LtBk

Likes (Received): 1607

Not surprising since San Diego is very auto-centric, suburban sprawling city typical of Sunbelt outside of few urban neighborhoods. Doesn't help that their commuter and light rail/tram system cover a tiny portion of the urban area.

LtBk está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2015, 09:15 AM   #177
Tyger-Wyger
That Crazy Transport Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdery View Post
I'll assume Hidden Valley refers to the canyon area south of UTC. There are actually plans to put a double track tunnel between these two areas with a possible underground station at UTC. Can't remember which website I saw this on (maybe sandag?) but there are a few options they are considering. I believe it is a low priority project given the cost and the desire to complete less costly double tracking on other parts of the line. That said, it would be great to have a tunnel there as the current route does add significant time (have traveled on this route several times).
I rode it from SD to Oceanside and back two years ago and I was amazed by the low speeds and single track over much of the line until I looked at it on G-Earth. Actually, I'm still amazed the Santa Fe didn't fix this decades ago.

Old September 1st, 2015, 09:17 AM   #178
Tyger-Wyger
That Crazy Transport Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by apinamies View Post
Very low numbers. If you think size of this city.
EXTREMELY low numbers!!! One can legitimately wonder at why Coaster is still in business.

Old September 1st, 2015, 09:19 AM   #179
Tyger-Wyger
That Crazy Transport Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by almo View Post
Hi, T-W:
Thanks. I don't doubt that all are gone by now - but how many went? As for fleet numbers, Mendoza has renumbered them 1001+ but the highest number I see in pictures on their forum is 1010. How can that be? The old numbers are said still to be inside. If you or I were down there we could go to the yard and make a complete inventory in 15 minutes! But the fans there have no interest in that sort of thing. All they think about now is the new extension and what fares will be charged.
How many went?

ALL of them less 1018 and 1019 which are on a museum line. That means 69 in actual fact unless there have been one or more accident victims in the past two years since my visit.

Tags
san diego, us light rail