search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Liverpool Metro Area

Liverpool Metro Area 'Scouse Scrapers for both sides of the Mersey

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 19th, 2017, 09:19 AM   #5161
openlyJane
Human Being

Likes (Received): 39983

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionfagan View Post
Heard terrible things about this place, from employees and customers alike. Certainly won't be visiting it myself.
I think the management of the opening has been chaotic and disorganised; and from what I’ve been told it seems that staff may be paying the price for the poor management - with people already having been sacked. The staff seem young and eager to please - but I suspect that a very heavy handed approach is being employed in dealing with them. I could see & sense this even as a customer on the opening day.
It doesn’t create the best feeling, but I’m prepared to give it a chance - as it does add something positive to Bold Street, and because there are products in there I’m interested in purchasing. Mattas first though!
openlyJane no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 20th, 2017, 04:29 PM   #5162
Flan

Likes (Received): 892

Nervous wait for Debenhams staff as store closure plan revealed

Staff at local Debenhams stores face an anxious wait after the department store giant revealed plans to close stores around the UK.

The chain said this morning that it was considering closing 10 stores over the next five years as it looks to restructure for a “successful and profitable future”.

It’s also closing 11 of its warehouses, meaning hundreds of jobs could be affected. But it also said four new stores could open over the next few years.

And some 2,000 Debenhams staff will be shifted to “customer-facing” roles to help boost store sales.

It has also pledged it will invest in its remaining shops, while cutting back on the number of product ranges sold in those stores.

Debenhams warehouse closures means hundreds of jobs are in danger

Debenhams is not yet revealing which of its 176 stores could close. None are unprofitable but could become so in the future.

The company has a large store in Lord Street , Liverpool, as part of Liverpool ONE.

It also has stores in:

* Coliseum Shopping Park, Ellesmere Port

* Lord Street, Southport

* The Mall, Warrington

* Another Debenhams store, Browns of Chester, is also a popular destination for Mersey day-trippers.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/...store-12918929
Old April 20th, 2017, 04:51 PM   #5163
Chris B
Liverpool - Est. 1207

Likes (Received): 11300

I can't see the Liverpool ONE store going anywhere, but I think the Southport store might be one being reviewed. It's small, dated, and sufficiently far enough along Lord Street to be a bit off-pitch. It also suffers from lack of awareness, as most people are surprised when they find out Southport has a Debenhams, which naturally won't help sales if people don't even know it's there. Time will tell.

superla, roymcneil liked this post
Chris B no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2017, 01:18 PM   #5164
Silver lass

Likes (Received): 295

What!! if Debenhams closes I will do my nut!

It's my fave shop.

There'll be bugger all left the way it's going on.

I'm already going mad that we have lost Dorothy Perkins. BHS - gone.

There's nothing in L1 for the average middle aged housewife - I never shop in L1 -- John Lewis far too expensive - the prices in there sky high.

I love Debenhams - I can't do with out it! We've got nothing else left!

I was only just thinking this on my last few visits to town .. Church st - D. Perkins gone and boarded up. BHS Lord st boarded up. Other department stores long gone. It's getting that way there is nothing to go to town for.
No other department stores to speak of. TK Max full of overpriced rubbish.
Primark- don't even go there ! Next -- nahh.

Debenhams fits the bill for me.
Silver lass no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2017, 01:23 PM   #5165
Centurio

Likes (Received): 4271

Church St is looking a bit sorry for itself at the moment.

I don't know what the occasion is but that market that's on right now doesn't help either. Burgers & vodka anyone?

-
Centurio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2017, 01:32 PM   #5166
Silver lass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centurio View Post
Church St is looking a bit sorry for itself at the moment.

I don't know what the occasion is but that market that's on right now doesn't help either. Burgers & vodka anyone?
Yes. Church st is sorry for itself.
Old April 21st, 2017, 01:37 PM   #5167
Silver lass

We need some mid price places to shop. We don't want cheap tat either, but not everyone can afford the high end shops in L1 - there's nothing in L1 to cater for my age range anyway -- and John Lewis ridiculous prices!

We used to have good mid price department stores - now we have none apart from Debs.

What's the matter with all these places going awol !?

Dorothy Perkins. Why did that have to go!?
There is a small DP section in Debenhams but so small and poorly stocked it's not worth mentioning. They don't have anything instore what you can see on-line, there's just a couple of rails with very limited stock.
The next nearest shop being in Speke according to assistant.
Speke - too far away.

Pietari, aeolian liked this post

Last edited by Silver lass; April 21st, 2017 at 01:46 PM.
Old April 21st, 2017, 01:57 PM   #5168
Centurio

I expect the Liverpool outlets are victims of the national chains going belly up, and then there being no buyer to take on the profitable stores. As for things like DP, who knows.

I agree that Liverpool has some glaring retail gaps at the moment, mostly centred around catering for day to day Liverpool folk. If you want things for a Pound you're fine, if you want something from the Apple shop, you're fine. If you want to stuff your face with ten different kinds of lard, you're also good. As for the rest, it's mainly just Marks & Sparks left.

What does the BID do exactly? Shouldn't they be managing this, and identifying the gaps and seeking to entice companies in to fill them? Or, heaven forbid, work with city partners to encourage locals to fill the gap with home grown companies?

If a key problem is national retail chains struggling through over-stretching themselves while places like Liverpool still represent good trading opportunities, then there appears on the face of it to be a fortuitous circumstance for local outfits to both enter the game and for Liverpool to "self-serve", insulating itself from the seemingly endless churn of chains going out of business.

Liverpool Home Stores, anyone?

-

Pietari, Silver lass, aeolian liked this post

Last edited by Centurio; April 21st, 2017 at 02:04 PM.
Old April 21st, 2017, 02:45 PM   #5169
Pietari
Just something

Likes (Received): 173

A quick point.

So many on here look down on St Johns. It's footfall is it's saving grace. L1 also has a tremendous footfall as does the 'Albert Dock' but the Albert Dock isn't what you would actually call a shopping destination. Even the Albert Dock is relaunching itself as a place for 'locals' to go.

Tourism has done fantastic things for the LCR but at the end of the day tourism is 'passing ' trade.

Something that London could not do with out.

Liverpool must 'own' it's shops. IE, they have to provide what the 'locals' need.

Everything after that 'tourism' footfall is icing on the cake. Even increasingly, the population growth in and around the city centre make for a much more happy and attractive place to live and visit.

You'd actually think it was rocket science.
http://www.wirralwaters.com/
1,000s of maitime companies employ 10s of 1,000s of staff with an annual turnover of £2.5bns+ / 15% of the Merseyside economy. The Super Port of Liverpool is expanding & with 150,000 ship movements a year, the River Mersey is the UK’s 3rd busiest estuary.
http://www.shipais.com/index.php
The Merseyrail network runs 700 services a day, the most intense of any in the UK apart from London Underground.
http://visitliverpool.com/
Pietari no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2017, 02:58 PM   #5170
jde91
Josh

Likes (Received): 4

There's practically zero chance of Debenhams in Liverpool closing down, its a huge flagship store in on of the largest shopping areas in the country! It will be small random towns like southport - I didn't know there was one there, or Warrington/Wigan

Silver lass, Andy K, roymcneil liked this post
jde91 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2017, 03:38 PM   #5171
openlyJane
Human Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by jde91 View Post
There's practically zero chance of Debenhams in Liverpool closing down, its a huge flagship store in on of the largest shopping areas in the country! It will be small random towns like southport - I didn't know there was one there, or Warrington/Wigan
Yes, the Liverpool Debenhams will be one of the ones ‘upgraded' to receive spa treatments and nail bars etc, I imagine.
Old April 21st, 2017, 03:44 PM   #5172
openlyJane
Human Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver lass View Post
What!! if Debenhams closes I will do my nut!

It's my fave shop.

There'll be bugger all left the way it's going on.

I'm already going mad that we have lost Dorothy Perkins. BHS - gone.

There's nothing in L1 for the average middle aged housewife - I never shop in L1 -- John Lewis far too expensive - the prices in there sky high.

I love Debenhams - I can't do with out it! We've got nothing else left!

I was only just thinking this on my last few visits to town .. Church st - D. Perkins gone and boarded up. BHS Lord st boarded up. Other department stores long gone. It's getting that way there is nothing to go to town for.
No other department stores to speak of. TK Max full of overpriced rubbish.
Primark- don't even go there ! Next -- nahh.

Debenhams fits the bill for me.
John Lewis remains the best place, in Liverpool, for clothes for women of 'a certain age’, I think. It has lots of concessions - and not all of them expensive - as well as stock from all of the lost stand-alone stores: Jigsaw, Hobbs, Phase Eight etc

I was getting a bit worried that Liverpool was losing so many stand-alone stores - seemingly pushed out by Liverpool One only to be replaced by the 'next big thing’ on the high street - but I note that many of these stores are also closing elsewhere too when their leases end.I think it’s getting tough on the high street - with internet shopping and extortionate rents/rates.
Old April 21st, 2017, 04:43 PM   #5173
Silver lass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centurio View Post

I agree that Liverpool has some glaring retail gaps at the moment, mostly centred around catering for day to day Liverpool folk. If you want things for a Pound you're fine, if you want something from the Apple shop, you're fine. If you want to stuff your face with ten different kinds of lard, you're also good. As for the rest, it's mainly just Marks & Sparks left.

.. that's exactly what I mean. Shops for day to day folk are becoming scarce on the ground.
.. ah yes, I forgot about Marks.

.. but you get my point. We need some middle ground - not Pound shops and cheap tat shops, but something half decent with quality clothing at reasonable prices where we can afford to shop.

Last edited by Silver lass; April 21st, 2017 at 04:56 PM. Reason: typing error
Old April 21st, 2017, 04:51 PM   #5174
Silver lass

[QUOTE=Pietari;139626131]A quick point.

So many on here look down on St Johns. QUOTE]

St Johns no good for clothes shopping though -- well not unless you are a 17 year old.

I don't count Evans on the outside corner as it is a shop with a target market.
Old April 21st, 2017, 07:08 PM   #5175
Elliot_

Likes (Received): 45

I very much doubt the L1 store will close, Debenhams have stated that big retail destination stores will remain. The store is a successful store and a flagship store for them. Think about it this way there are only 10 stores closing out of all the stores I would very much doubt it to be L1.
Elliot_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2017, 07:11 PM   #5176
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 680

Plus: John Lewis in Liverpool is awesome! Fantastic department store, one we sorely lack in central Manchester. Hell, Liverpool One is an incredible shopping area and put's Manchester's Arndale to shame.

on the other hand...

Minus: St Johns; possibly the biggest blight on Liverpool's architectural landscape. It's arse is the first thing people see who come by train in what could be one of the world's most spectacular rail gateways. I don't understand how locals don't protest for its demolition.

mmcd, The sand man liked this post
Justme no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2017, 07:43 PM   #5177
openlyJane
Human Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme View Post
Plus: John Lewis in Liverpool is awesome! Fantastic department store, one we sorely lack in central Manchester. Hell, Liverpool One is an incredible shopping area and put's Manchester's Arndale to shame.

on the other hand...

Minus: St Johns; possibly the biggest blight on Liverpool's architectural landscape. It's arse is the first thing people see who come by train in what could be one of the world's most spectacular rail gateways. I don't understand how locals don't protest for its demolition.
It’s certainly loathed on here - but it’s privately owned and very successful in its own terms - so can’t see demolition happening any time soon. It’s Liverpool’s Piccadilly Gardens.....agonised over and hated.
Old April 21st, 2017, 09:28 PM   #5178
Silver lass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme View Post
Yes, John Lewis is a lovely department store that has everything - and we need a quality store like this - but my point is that not everyone can afford their prices and we don't have much other choice now that other shops have gone.

L1 too - yes, of course I agree that it is a great shopping area -- but not necessarily for everyone.

The sand man liked this post
Old April 21st, 2017, 09:40 PM   #5179
Centurio

We need replacements for both Lewis' and BHS, in my opinion.

That quirky bric-a-brac department store that I forget the name of isn't it.

There also aren't nearly enough places to buy fresh fruit and vegetables, and it would also be nice if buying meats was a better experience.

I also wish House of Fraser would invest in their Birkenhead store, modernise it and expand it. So much adjoining land that is just wasted, and the store as is is just too small to hold any interest.

-

Silver lass liked this post

Last edited by Centurio; April 21st, 2017 at 09:46 PM.
Old April 21st, 2017, 09:51 PM   #5180
openlyJane
Human Being

Maybe department stores are the way forward - with so many retailers struggling to survive in stand-alone stores? And also for those of us who don’t particularly like shopping as a leisure experience.