daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > Southern Africa > South Africa > Photo forums > Photo Forum

Old June 20th, 2008, 11:07 PM   #1
bashuple

Likes (Received): 0

RUSTENBURG

Developments in and around Rustenburg are very slow and indeed dissapointing. Are there any bigger plans to breath kinda life into this small, yet beautiful, picturesque town? Rustenburg platinum mines must the biggest producer of platinum and other minerals, but the town remains so poor. It becomes so saturated with shoppers especially month ends, with very limited space taken over by vendors. Something needs doing urgently, after all Rustenburg is one of the host town of 2010 world cup football.
bashuple no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old June 20th, 2008, 11:52 PM   #2
Upington

Likes (Received): 7

......its very hard to photograph this town because its just plastered on those yellowish orange Magalies.....but behind that mountain, the town is nicely developed......even the new low-cost housing at the junction of the old N4 and the new N4 loop have such a nice backdrop of the Magalies......i still believe this is the only place where 2010 visitors will look at it and say WOW.......

When will AFRICA stop being used and abused as a CHARITY CASE by hollywood limousine liberals?
Upington no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2008, 12:02 AM   #3
Upington

.....new pics I took last month......

When will AFRICA stop being used and abused as a CHARITY CASE by hollywood limousine liberals?
Old June 21st, 2008, 12:55 AM   #4
bashuple

Thanks Upington, but are there any changes in the town centre? Thats breath taking view mate, so reassuring.

Last edited by bashuple; June 21st, 2008 at 12:56 AM. Reason: omisions
bashuple no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2008, 06:55 AM   #5
SYDNEY
MELBOURNE

Likes (Received): 3407

: I don't know whether to laugh or cry ... whether you are being honest or sarcastic BUT I do hope that it is the latter ......
Old June 21st, 2008, 02:27 PM   #6
Upington

Quote:
Originally Posted by bashuple View Post
Thanks Upington, but are there any changes in the town centre? Thats breath taking view mate, so reassuring.
......if you mean the old town centre, there is insignificant changes.......but the new Waterfalls area makes up for it.....in addition, with the new N4 loop, and the Waterfalls area, most visitors to Rustenburg hardly know that there is a town centre because there is no reason to go out of your way to get there......to get to Phokeng where the stadium is, you bypass the old town centre to the turn for the Royal bafokeng off N4 to Zeerust......but regarding 2010, there is the Olympia Stadium in town which probably will be used for practice......maybe that will encourage upgrading the town centre.....

.....Magalies...

...Olympia Stadium....

.....Platinum action....

Old June 22nd, 2008, 04:42 PM   #7
HirakataShi

Likes (Received): 5

Nice to know that Thabo Mbeki has a road named after him.

Anyway, Upington - great photos as always. Is there any part of South African you haven't traveled to?
HirakataShi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2008, 08:07 AM   #8
Pule
BITTER HEART NEVER REST

Likes (Received): 63

Interesting read

http://www.bafokengholdings.com/a/fi...plan_oct07.pdf

Old July 18th, 2008, 02:20 AM   #9
Upington

Quote:
Originally Posted by HirakataShi View Post
Nice to know that Thabo Mbeki has a road named after him.

Anyway, Upington - great photos as always. Is there any part of South African you haven't traveled to?
......yes, there are some parts of SA i still have to see......been around the world....there is no place on earth i love and appreciate as much as SA......this is home and it will always be......

Old July 18th, 2008, 10:42 AM   #10
Sylv1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pule View Post

thanks for posting. very ambition long term plan. Exiting stuff.

as for rustenburg, it doesn't look as grim as I thought. The Bafokeng masterplan does not seem to include developments in Rustenburg itself, I'm guessing the the bafokeng might not own the land in Rustenburg proper ?? let's hope this doesn't result in fragmented, inconsistent development. I'm not 100% clear on how this private investment group works tohether with the local authorities.
Sylv1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2008, 10:58 AM   #11
Jakes1
Jakes1

Likes (Received): 60

Phokeng is outside Rustenburg, so Sylv1 you are correct. It is not part of Rustenburg proper.
Jakes1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2008, 06:30 PM   #12
dysan1
More development

Likes (Received): 213

i spent a weekend there in jan, must say i could not wait to leave
Old July 25th, 2008, 05:56 AM   #13
Pule
BITTER HEART NEVER REST

I have said that before the place is boring but lets hope that projects outlined in RBH startegy will be implemented as that will definately turn the place around.
Old September 2nd, 2008, 02:47 PM   #14
Pule
BITTER HEART NEVER REST

Posted to the web on: 28 August 2008
New development for Pilanesberg

THE booming platinum industry is also giving a much-needed boost to the property sector on the northeastern side of the Pilanesberg, with Amtrad Properties undertaking to develop a R1bn new central business district in the area.

The development, which will take place on the northeastern side of the Pilanesberg National Park close to Bakgatla Camp in North West, will see the establishment of offices, a shopping centre, 170 residential apartments, a soccer stadium and three practice fields, as well as a clinic, private hospital and civic centre.

Grahame Lindop, MD of Amtrad Properties, says the group is undertaking the development on behalf of the Bakgatla Ba Kgefela tribe, who have enjoyed significant wealth creation as a result of the discovery of platinum deposits in their tribal area.

Lindop says substantial platinum and chrome deposits have been discovered within 15km of where the central business district will be established.

He says this discovery has resulted in three new mines with an estimated capital cost of R12bn being constructed. This will create more than 9000 jobs over the next three to four years and has necessitated the need for commercial development.

“This has created a lot of wealth for the tribe and a demand for retail facilities, residential accommodation and recreational amenities.”

Lindop says a lot more people are already living in the area because of the proximity to the existing platinum mines in nearby Rustenberg and Northam, or are planning to move there because of the three new mines.

Construction on the new development will start next week with the first phase including 5500mē of offices. The 13000mē first phase of a shopping centre is also planned, while development on the 170 residential apartments should start next year.

Work on the stadium and practice fields will also begin in the next three weeks because they are to be used in the Confederation Cup and 2010 Soccer World Cup.

The civic centre will have conference facilities to accommodate 1000 people.

Apart from the central business district development, Amtrad Properties will also be developing a further R1,5bn worth of new property in the area, says Lindop.

This includes an 18-hole golf estate with 300 homes near Bakgatla Gate, which leads into the national park, as well as a five-star hotel.

Also, 3000 houses are planned on a 96ha site in a series of six interlinked villages.

Lindop says infrastructure is also being upgraded in the area. This includes new bulk water pipelines, waste water treatment works and bulk sewer networks for water-borne sewage.
Old September 4th, 2008, 10:59 AM   #15
ikops

Likes (Received): 802

Does Rustenburg have anything to offer to tourists? I have been to SA three times now, but have never travelled in this region.
ikops no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2008, 01:48 PM   #16
Pule
BITTER HEART NEVER REST

Rustenburg Transport Plan, http://www.transport.gov.za/2010/Doc...RUSTENBURG.pdf
Old November 14th, 2008, 01:52 PM   #17
Pule
BITTER HEART NEVER REST

Mike, can you please change the thread to Rustenburg Gallery and Discussion.

Old November 14th, 2008, 01:57 PM   #18
Pule
BITTER HEART NEVER REST

2010 projects for Rustenburg

The projects include the following:
• Construction of ring roads and links roads around the Royal Bafokeng Stadium
• Integrated Rapid Public Transport System (IRPTN) for Rustenburg
• Park and Ride sites to serve the Stadium
• Public Transport Priority System on the IRPTN routes
Pedestrianisation of Fatima Bhayat Street in the Rustenburg CBD
• Improved walkways and public transport lay-bye facilities in the stadium
precinct area

Bashu and others, has these projects started. I'm glad to see this, Pedestrianisation of Fatima Bhayat Street in the Rustenburg CBD, as it will certainly bring life to the CBD.
Old November 14th, 2008, 03:48 PM   #19
Lydon
wow

Likes (Received): 1511

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pule View Post
Mike, can you please change the thread to Rustenburg Gallery and Discussion..
PM him, otherwise he won't see your request
Old November 26th, 2008, 12:06 PM   #20
Pule
BITTER HEART NEVER REST

Went to Rustenburg this past weekend and I must say that there are improvements and it seems like construction is also hitting the CBD. In Oliver Thambo Street there's a retail construction taking place. Pick 'n Pay is also constructing some nice building within the CBD. There's another building under construction but I forgot in which street it is located. The CBD looked clean with exception of were taxi rank is located. As I said previously, minimum work can make this place a stunner.

Towards waterfall mall there's construction everywhere. I just hope Rustenburg Municipality will work on its parks as they not good at all and it seems like its residents likes using parks.