search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > دار زايـــد United Arab Emirates

دار زايـــد United Arab Emirates The exciting new world in Dubai , Abu Dhabi and other Emirates

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 2nd, 2009, 08:30 AM   #21
Dubaidog

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubai_Steve View Post
Dubai 2020 olympics will be moved to October if bid is successfull.
& days article states "Then we have the holy month of Ramadan, which according to 7DAYS’ calculations would begin in October of 2020 and run into November. A non-starter."

So mid November would seem more probable - and cooler....
Dubaidog no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 2nd, 2009, 09:39 AM   #22
THE DUBAI GUYS
Ruff 'n' Ready

Likes (Received): 372

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubaidog View Post
& days article states "Then we have the holy month of Ramadan, which according to 7DAYS’ calculations would begin in October of 2020 and run into November. A non-starter."

So mid November would seem more probable - and cooler....
hmm....I still dont think ramadan wuld have gone into the NEXT yr, i.e nov/dec, since it only moves less than two weeks up the calander a yr...so I think an oct start date wuld be fine...

R
THE DUBAI GUYS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2009, 12:07 PM   #23
docc

Likes (Received): 1

Can they actually push the date if required? As in, is there a provision for it?
docc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2009, 02:06 PM   #24
Dubai_Steve
Dubai State of Mind

Likes (Received): 135

Since the games have never been held in the middle east before I think they would be open to move it back a bit.
Dubai_Steve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2009, 09:59 PM   #25
killerk

Likes (Received): 1055

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubai_Steve View Post
Since the games have never been held in the middle east before I think they would be open to move it back a bit.
but they also know how many Indians, Pakistanis and Bangladeshis will have to sacrifice their lives for an Olympics to happen there....that city does not have the money to keep the people and jobs that are there now and they r thinking about olympics!!

Tell Dubai Govt.... to do something about that first!!!
killerk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2009, 12:39 PM   #26
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6027

shallow ...
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2009, 10:40 AM   #27
MANUTD
MANUTD

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannaberich View Post
It would make more sense to have the Olympics split between Dubai and Abu Dhabi.
Between them they should be able to provide enough facilities to host the games.
On the other hand an influx of many thousands of westerners may not work too well in a Muslim country.

Sounds good ---Dubai host it Abu Dhabi PAY for it --perfect !

And i think DUBAI wants 1000,s of non muslis to flowin again because from what i can see 1000;s r flowing out at this time !
Spt/Oct 2020 bring it onto DUBAI what a gift that would be !!
MANUTD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2009, 08:41 PM   #28
THE DUBAI GUYS
Ruff 'n' Ready

Likes (Received): 372

this shuld help our bid....somewat...

Dubai to host 2013 world swimming championship

By Alaric Gomes, Senior Reporter
Published: July 18, 2009, 18:40

Dubai: Dubai won the bid to host the 2013 swimming world championships on Saturday beating Moscow and Hamburg. The announcement was made by Mustafa Larfaoui, president of Fina (the world body for the sport), on the second day of the world event currently under way in Rome.

Speaking to Gulf News from Rome, a thrilled Ahmad Al Falasi, president of the UAE Swimming Association (UAESA) said: "What can I say? I am speechless. I think it will take me one full day of rest to let this feeling sink in," before adding, "Today's triumph is the result of more than six years of hard and diligent work."

Al Falasi paid tribute to the vision and foresight of His Highness Shaikh Mohammad Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice-President and Prime Minister of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai. "It is Shaikh Mohammad's vision to stage the Olympic Games in 2020. But the staging of a Fina championship will be the first step in preparing Dubai for the task ahead."

Dubai had earlier entered the bidding process for the Fina World Swimming Championships on two occasions - in 2005 and then in 2007. "This time we were well prepared, but the best thing is that Fina believed in what are capable of," Al Falasi said.

Dubai polled 13 votes compared to the five won by Hamburg and the two drawn by Moscow.

Dubai earlier beat off stiff competition to win the right to stage the 2010 Fina World Swimming Championship (25 metres).

http://www.gulfnews.com/sport/Swimming/10332578.html

R
THE DUBAI GUYS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2009, 07:57 PM   #29
noir-dresses
bling bling

Likes (Received): 2224

Melbourne had its date changed to november for its summer olympics because of potential winter storms, so dates are flexable.

The financial crisis will be behind us soon so that is not a problem.

Sand, and dust can be a problem.

Movement for isrealis in dubai has to be delt with.

Doha already hosted the asian games successfully which gives it brownie points.

It would be great if Dubai can manage to get the olympics, Rio is jumping for joy today, and they have good reason to.
noir-dresses no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2009, 09:49 PM   #30
EmiratesAirline380

Likes (Received): 544

I think Dubai could win the bid. They are superior to Doha, because overall its a bigger city. And i think it could win for the same reason Rio did, cause it would be the first time in the Middle East.

Now, i just hope they could host the FIFA world cup 2018.

255 Aircraft - 150+ Destinations - 252 aircraft orders

ETIHAD AIRWAYS

124 Aircraft - 112 Destinations - 198 aircraft orders
EmiratesAirline380 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2009, 02:15 PM   #31
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6027

FIFA world cup? I'm sure (insert RAK, Fujeirah whatever ...) stadiums can't wait to acomodate the matches ... oh wait, we need some 10 more ...
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2009, 05:55 PM   #32
killerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmiratesAirline380 View Post
I think Dubai could win the bid. They are superior to Doha, because overall its a bigger city. And i think it could win for the same reason Rio did, cause it would be the first time in the Middle East.

Now, i just hope they could host the FIFA world cup 2018.
Dubai has a less chances for an Olympics for million reasons.....a few of them (the most important ones actually) include....

Qatar has the money....ready cash to make stadia/infrastructure required for an Olympics....They already proved that with the way they hosted the Asian Games......Dubai does not even have the best credit rating currently and will have to depend on the Federal Govt. (read as Abu Dhabi) for funds....

Abu Dhabi takes "sports" very personally....Dubai can have its way with transportation and finance....but when it comes to Sports and related tourism Abu Dhabi is serious....the Yas Marina F1 track and the FIFA Club World Cup are examples....(not leaving out the Zayed Sports City, which was the first of its kind in the Middle East....)

Dubai has a horrible track record with Human Rights....(not that the IOC minds that)....but the other bidding cities can make a protest in this respect and votes will tilt to a significant extent to their favor (the west takes Human Rights issues seriously)....Last I heard Doha does not have this problem (or they know how to conceal it well)....

The most important point that most people miss is "what about Israel??"
Agreed that the Middle East does not accept them as a nation...but try telling that to an Olympic panel that comprises mostly of victims of the Holocaust or people whose parents/grand parents have witnessed the horrors of it....I want to see how the UAE is going to let them on their soil to participate... (Check the series of events that happened during the ATP Dubai tennis tournament and the world and how much the world cried for not letting one Israeli national to play)......Doha has an impressive record of having invited Jewish Scholars for a religious conference they had a couple of years ago and were almost thinking of starting diplomatic ties with Israel when Israel bombed the West Bank (again)!!

FIFA World Cup is a different story all together.....the Country hosts it as opposed to a City as is the case for the Olympics....Here the UAE will have a strong chance given they do the FIFA club world cup well....but again this bid will be a Federal Govt initiative with more matches and the opening and maybe even the finals happening in Abu Dhabi and not Dubai.....Abu Dhabi also has excellent Soccer Infrastructure in Al Ain....

Most Cities bid for the Olympics hoping to boost the local economy....There are a 1000 other cities in "developing" countries that use this as a main point while making their bids...(that makes 50% reason why Rio won over Chicago and Madrid, the other being that it is the 1st time for the South American continent)....In this respect even Doha stands to lose....

Now if we were talking about hosting a big World Bank event or a United Nations conference or a small Travel Agents expo or an event that involves marketing health Spas Dubai is the #1 destination in the whole of the MENA region and the Indian Subcontinent....but Olympics is a whole different ballgame....

Last edited by killerk; October 5th, 2009 at 06:31 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
Old October 5th, 2009, 06:07 PM   #33
Imre
Dubai

Likes (Received): 315

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerk View Post

The most important point that most people miss is "what about Israel??"
This is the main reason why Dubai has zero chance to make an Olympics.

Another thing is the weather , July and August too hot here and the whole world wont be reorganised their national championships just because of Dubai.

so the chance is zero , everything is just marketing, nothing else..
Imre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2009, 06:24 PM   #34
noir-dresses
bling bling

Weather is not a problem, date can be changed, or closed stadiums with AC

Brazil's human rights record is much worse

Isreal won't be much of a problem cause UAE company's already have deep business ties with jewish business men. examples Nasdaq, Banks, Hollywood, etc, etc, you can't do global business with out doing business with them, period. Arab mind set will be difficult.

The financing could prove challenging, but they can do it. Brazil found it, and there standard's lower.
Old October 5th, 2009, 07:18 PM   #35
killerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by noir-dresses View Post
Weather is not a problem, date can be changed, or closed stadiums with AC

Brazil's human rights record is much worse

Isreal won't be much of a problem cause UAE company's already have deep business ties with jewish business men. examples Nasdaq, Banks, Hollywood, etc, etc, you can't do global business with out doing business with them, period. Arab mind set will be difficult.

The financing could prove challenging, but they can do it. Brazil found it, and there standard's lower.
based on your logic, we can also have Olympics on the Moon!!
Old October 5th, 2009, 07:33 PM   #36
noir-dresses
bling bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerk View Post
based on your logic, we can also have Olympics on the Moon!!
explain your logic ???
Old October 5th, 2009, 08:11 PM   #37
iownyou

Likes (Received): 5

i think it can be done. the whole jewish thing is nothing but bs all the arabs are jews them self they are all friends with the jews is nothing but media bs to lie to people. and dubai is going to be much better 10 years from now. so it will have more money and it will have better infrastuctior i think it can be done and i would defenetly good marketing
iownyou no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2009, 09:47 PM   #38
EmiratesAirline380

Likes (Received): 544

But Dubai hosts some large events as well, such as the Dubai Horse racing world cup. And also, i don't really see Doha as that much competition. Sure they did host the Asian games, but Doha is a very small city. And even in 10 years, it will not become large enough to host such a large event.

Also, Doha has also a bad human rights record, however because Dubai and the UAE overall constructs larger projects, the human rights watch concentrates on the UAE.

i was reading this website a couple months ago. It was saying how badly workers are treated in Qatar. Basically the workers in Doha are treated almost the same as Dubai.

Don't get me wrong. I don't hate Qatar. Infact i would love to live there some day. I'm just saying that in terms of winning the Olympics i think Dubai has a better chance.
And moreover because Sheikh mohammed wants this, i think they will put in more money and effort into making this happen.

255 Aircraft - 150+ Destinations - 252 aircraft orders

ETIHAD AIRWAYS

124 Aircraft - 112 Destinations - 198 aircraft orders
EmiratesAirline380 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2009, 10:06 PM   #39
iownyou

Likes (Received): 5

ofcourse dubai will dO IT WE HAVE SPORTS CITY AND WE WONT HAVE OLYMPICS
iownyou no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2009, 06:43 PM   #40
Imre
Dubai

Likes (Received): 315

Quote:
Originally Posted by noir-dresses View Post

why is not problem ??

with Israeli passport you can not entry to UAE
Imre no está en línea   Reply With Quote