SkyscraperCity Forum banner

#COMPLETED: THE TORCH, 84F Res, 338m (Dubai Marina)

3M views 18K replies 486 participants last post by  Burj Khalifa fan 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Name: The Torch
Floors: 84
Height: 345 m
Use: Residential

See less See more
#15,982 ·
The gym leak was not related to lagging/air con as far as I am aware and no leaks since the teething problem fixed.

No leaks in my apartment, Arfie any in yours since handover many months ago?
Aha..... it's leak time already in the Torch...... and in the gym too.....

Gym leaks are a Select Speciality - is the swimming pool anywhere nearby by chance....

If anyone is interested I can post some leak pictures in the gym in other Select Developments.

Word of warning - as you're in the DLP, Select WILL replaster over ALL blown plaster caused by leaks. They won't fix the underlying cause - the owners will have to pay to fix the leaks AFTER the DLP has expired. Select will dodge all the expensive repair work inside the DLP to save money.

Plaster and paint is cheap - fixing leaking pipes in the concrete pour is really expensive and they'll leave the Torch owners with all the nasty stuff post DLP.

Get your fire alarm checked out now guys. Select Group will tell you the fire alarm is signed off and up to current standards. DO NOT BELIEVE THEM. We got independent engineers in who ripped our system to pieces - IT WAS NOT UP TO CURRENT STANDARDS

Seriously folks - in a building as big as the Torch you guys need to know you're safe. Don't take Select Group's word critical safety systems have been installed properly.

#15,983 ·
^^:nuts:

Steve, how many days a year do you spend actually in Dubai? You seem to rely entirely on agents adverts and regard their words as gospel. :lol:

I also regard it a bit strange that you only have one apartment in Dubai which is rented out, yet you seem to be constantly talking directly to agents and taking the temperature of the market. Or you are just making it all up!
TB - Dubai_Steve is either a Select Employee or getting one up the hoop from a Select Employee. With 8000+ posts which are 100% positive iro Select Group it's a no brainer.

#15,984 ·
Aha..... it's leak time already in the Torch...... and in the gym too.....

Gym leaks are a Select Speciality - is the swimming pool anywhere nearby by chance....

Seriously folks - in a building as big as the Torch you guys need to know you're safe. Don't take Select Group's word critical safety systems have been installed properly.
Or buy parachutes if in case you need to make a quick exit but make sure that they are not from Select.:nuts:

#15,986 ·
Or needs to be carted off by men in white coats. Whatever happened to the other joker, Mike Anderson? Perhaps, he is still trying to navigate his way to the Marina!!:lol:
:lol:

Anyone got any pics of the leaks yet? Has anyone had the nerve to look inside the inspection hatches in the suspended ceilings in the units? Be very interesting to see if the clowns at Select have made the same mistakes again. If you don't see any chiller pipe lagging be scared. Very scared! In six months time your fire alarms will be false alarming like crazy and your tenants won't be renewing their contracts. Unlagged chiller pipes condense like crazy and the water collects in your fire sensor housings - when they fail they fail safe - ie trigger an alarm.

If they've cut the same corners - forget ROI on Torch units. Once work gets around you get woken up every night by false alarms you'll be lucky to get tenants period.

People like Dubai_Steve will slag me off and say the Torch is totally different but word on the street is history is repeating itself already.

Same shit developer - same shit construction company - probably the same shit corrupt consultant = another flawed Select Group development.

Prove me wrong - post some pictures of the chiller pipe runs in the common areas and also in the units.

Trouble is to correct first fix mistakes after handover is massively expensive. Leaking pipes in risers and concrete pours are bloody difficult to resolve retrospectively. As Select can't manage their contractors it's almost a foregone conclusion the same issues will reoccur.

Nip it in the bud folks- get busy looking at all the stuff which is hidden behind inspection hatches. Check it out for yourselves and for god's sake get the fire alarm system independently verified by professional fire engineers. Select Group seem to be able to get utterly shit, non functional systems signed off by the appropriate authorities in Dubai.

This doesn't mean your life safety systems are up to international standards. Can you afford to take a risk on a super tall like the Torch?

Also check the emergency lighting in the stair wells. Select seem incapable of getting this to work properly.

Get busy folks - you're still in DLP - make Select Group work for the money they took off you. If you leave them to manage the building you'll be left with a tonne of issues after the DLP expires.

#15,987 ·
BTW - the fire report for another Select Group development had serious faults on EVERY floor......

A sample of the issues included:-

• Unsupported cabling
  • Unsealed cable entry and exit points
  • Unlagged chiller pipes
  • Incorrect wiring
  • Missing wiring
  • Corrosion on fire risers
  • Missing commissioning data
  • Missing test data
  • No maintenance logs
  • No protocol
  • Missing alarm logs (even after two actual fires)

Summary - the entire installation was done to a poor standard.

Can you afford to have a fire safety system installed to a poor standard in a building like the Torch???

So far nobody has been killed in a Select Group development - with a monster like the Torch I think leaving the integrity of the fire control systems to a developer like Select Group (in view of their previous form) is pretty foolish. I really hope the Torch IOA get some independent fire engineers into the building as quickly as possible.

Hopefully DCD (Dubai Civil Defence) will get the kick up the arse they need if a super tall fails to meet international fire safety standards. Quite how a developer can hussle defective buildings through a UAE fire safety process is quite beyond most sentient people.

#15,988 ·
BTW - the fire report for another Select Group development had serious faults on EVERY floor......

A sample of the issues included:-

• Unsupported cabling
  • Unsealed cable entry and exit points
  • Unlagged chiller pipes
  • Incorrect wiring
  • Missing wiring
  • Corrosion on fire risers
  • Missing commissioning data
  • Missing test data
  • No maintenance logs
  • No protocol
  • Missing alarm logs (even after two actual fires)

Summary - the entire installation was done to a poor standard.

Can you afford to have a fire safety system installed to a poor standard in a building like the Torch???

So far nobody has been killed in a Select Group development - with a monster like the Torch I think leaving the integrity of the fire control systems to a developer like Select Group (in view of their previous form) is pretty foolish. I really hope the Torch IOA get some independent fire engineers into the building as quickly as possible.

Hopefully DCD (Dubai Civil Defence) will get the kick up the arse they need if a super tall fails to meet international fire safety standards. Quite how a developer can hussle defective buildings through a UAE fire safety process is quite beyond most sentient people.

And if god forbid there was a fire, the insurance company's would have a field day, they would be a million and one reasons where they could find a way not too pay out!

#15,991 ·
BOTANICA has pipe lagging

BAY CENTRAL has pipe lagging

THE POINT does not have pipe lagging

Does the TORCH have pipe lagging?... watch this space... for the next exciting instalment...
For someone who claims NOT to be on the Select payroll you seem to know a lot of detail about Select Developments. However, as a supposed Torch investor why do you not know the status of the pipe lagging in your own investment???

Do we take this as an official statement from Select Group that the POINT DOES NOT HAVE CHILLER PIPE LAGGING?

If the Point drawings specify lagging then Select Group are in breach of contract for not delivering to spec. You might have just implicated your best mates at Select Group. They will be chuffed to bits with you. Get on the edit quickly if I were you. I've saved the pages just in case.

Pipe lagging is one thing - how about your fire alarm installation???? Done by the same cowboys per chance? Certified to what standard? Select will say it meets all the requirements. What are the requirements? A brown envelope and a couple of lagers in Barrasti and a series of Insha' Allas.

I would stop ****ing about and get independent fire engineers into the Torch pronto. If someone gets killed the developments dead in the water and you can kiss your ROI goodbye.

#15,992 ·
It sounds like Damac have taken over the MST plot in front of TT to use as their site compound and storage.

looks like damac are moving their site office and storage room over to the empty plot in front of the torch, away from the Infinity driveway.
Maybe Damac will end up developing this plot at a later stage.

#15,994 · (Edited)
For someone who claims NOT to be on the Select payroll you seem to know a lot of detail about Select Developments. However, as a supposed Torch investor why do you not know the status of the pipe lagging in your own investment???

Do we take this as an official statement from Select Group that the POINT DOES NOT HAVE CHILLER PIPE LAGGING?

If the Point drawings specify lagging then Select Group are in breach of contract for not delivering to spec. You might have just implicated your best mates at Select Group. They will be chuffed to bits with you. Get on the edit quickly if I were you. I've saved the pages just in case.

Pipe lagging is one thing - how about your fire alarm installation???? Done by the same cowboys per chance? Certified to what standard? Select will say it meets all the requirements. What are the requirements? A brown envelope and a couple of lagers in Barrasti and a series of Insha' Allas.

I would stop ****ing about and get independent fire engineers into the Torch pronto. If someone gets killed the developments dead in the water and you can kiss your ROI goodbye.
Very well said and people should take it very seriously.

:applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::tiasd:

#15,997 ·
mohamed hamada said:
I rent one bedroom flat on Torch
it is wonderful , nice view
i have some problem on toilets but select group maintain it well and i'm really happy to stay there
I am guessing that English is not your primary language!

If you have to stay on toilets for a long time then go and see a doctor - Select will just take the p*ss!

#15,998 ·
I am guessing that English is not your primary language!

If you have to stay on toilets for a long time then go and see a doctor - Select will just take the p*ss!
it is not of ur business if english is my primary language or not
i'm not on school or english lesson here
if u understand arabic i can write by arabic
but cos u r speak or understand only english i have to write with it
hope u got my message

#15,999 ·
it is not of ur business if english is my primary language or not
i'm not on school or english lesson here
if u understand arabic i can write by arabic
but cos u r speak or understand only english i have to write with it
hope u got my message

Glad you are enjoying your unit in the Torch. I really hope things continue to be hunky dory for you but I have a feeling they won't as it's a Select/DCE build AND Select are still managing the building.

For you information - Select do not maintain their developments - they outsource this to FM companies who they have inside deals with. So the owners get charged a load of money - the FM company doesn't do much and Select and the FM boys split the proceeds over a few lagers. Unfortunately we will never be able to prove this happens as the accounts are all cooked. However, once Select hand the development over to it's owner's association you will find that hardly any critical maintenance has been done which leaves you with a big bill.

Also Select Developments always have eye wateringly high service charges - Eg - DorraBay - Cayen (Good Developer) - <10 AED/sqft - The Point - Select Group (Sh*t developer) - 18.9 AED/sqft.

Errrrr......... Hello.

Select have lots of pre-prepared BS about their service charges being in line with marina averages but this is total BS. Select Service charges are in the top quartile of the marina service charges and are, in most cases, higher than EMAAR developments. Select's deliverable is in the bottom quartile of the marina market - so you've got an interesting dynamic there - crap deliverable and sky high service charges.

Hope you continue to enjoy your unit - I would recommend some ear plugs for the nightly false fire alarms (which will come) and also some plastic sheeting to protect your belongings from floods of water coming through your ceilings. Also a parachute or a very long ladder might be of use if you're on a high floor as the emergency lighting will probably pack up pretty soon.

#16,000 ·
Glad you are enjoying your unit in the Torch. I really hope things continue to be hunky dory for you but I have a feeling they won't as it's a Select/DCE build AND Select are still managing the building.

For you information - Select do not maintain their developments - they outsource this to FM companies who they have inside deals with. So the owners get charged a load of money - the FM company doesn't do much and Select and the FM boys split the proceeds over a few lagers. Unfortunately we will never be able to prove this happens as the accounts are all cooked. However, once Select hand the development over to it's owner's association you will find that hardly any critical maintenance has been done which leaves you with a big bill.

Also Select Developments always have eye wateringly high service charges - Eg - DorraBay - Cayen (Good Developer) - <10 AED/sqft - The Point - Select Group (Sh*t developer) - 18.9 AED/sqft.

Errrrr......... Hello.

Select have lots of pre-prepared BS about their service charges being in line with marina averages but this is total BS. Select Service charges are in the top quartile of the marina service charges and are, in most cases, higher than EMAAR developments. Select's deliverable is in the bottom quartile of the marina market - so you've got an interesting dynamic there - crap deliverable and sky high service charges.

Hope you continue to enjoy your unit - I would recommend some ear plugs for the nightly false fire alarms (which will come) and also some plastic sheeting to protect your belongings from floods of water coming through your ceilings. Also a parachute or a very long ladder might be of use if you're on a high floor as the emergency lighting will probably pack up pretty soon.
Give it a rest, man. Surely Select are doing what they can to remedy the situation. At least your apartment in the Point or whereever got delivered, which can't be said for other developments in UAE. There are hundrests of units in the Torch and about ten people including you are unhappy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.