daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Scottish Architecture Forum

Scottish Architecture Forum Architecture, Design and Urban Development for for Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Dundee, and the rest of Scotland.

Old Yesterday, 09:49 PM   #6081
crusty_bint
control yourself

Likes (Received): 60

question for all.

if there is a yes vote, what side of the debating table do you think Darling, et al, will sit?
The old coats are discarded. The old ice is loosed. The old seeds are awake.

Slip out of darkness, it is time.
crusty_bint no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old Yesterday, 11:11 PM   #6082
Xtreminal
Black Cobra

Likes (Received): 1404

If Scotland fails to get independence, it will be first country in world that voted against its own independence.
Old Today, 12:23 AM   #6083
heresjohnny

Likes (Received): 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusty_bint View Post
question for all.

if there is a yes vote, what side of the debating table do you think Darling, et al, will sit?
We won't want them, England won't want them.

I think they will be looking for new careers.
heresjohnny no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:35 AM   #6084
Boards
Cunty

Likes (Received): 294

Quote:
Originally Posted by heresjohnny View Post
We won't want them
Sends a chill down my spine...

Nathan Dawz, Jagerman liked this post
Boards no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:44 AM   #6085
Nathan Dawz
Makin all KINDS of gains!

Likes (Received): 1010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtreminal View Post
If Scotland fails to get independence, it will be first country in world that voted against its own independence.
Utterly clueless. Why does this lie keep getting repeated by the Nats?

Quebec voted against independence twice in 1980 and 1995.
New Caledonia voted against independence in 1987.
Montenegro voted against independence in 1992.
Bermuda voted against independence in 1995.

All of those have just as much right to call themselves a 'country' as Scotland does, and they all voted No. Scotland will join the list next month.
Nathan Dawz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:58 AM   #6086
heresjohnny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boards View Post
A Scot living in Scotland saying 'we' when referring to Scotland, sends a chill down your spine? Why would that scare anyone?

Are you like Due-East and think the apocalypse is coming? I think you both might need to calm your paranoia a bit.

Is Darling a member of the Scottish Parliament? Nobody wants him in Scotland now, never mind after independence. Would England want him to fuck up their economy a second time? Not that Labour will get in anyway.

A new career in after dinner speaking awaits Darling.
Old Today, 01:14 AM   #6087
Boards
Cunty

Likes (Received): 294

Old Today, 01:21 AM   #6088
1M14

Likes (Received): 76

In all likelihood Alastair Darling would just join Tony Blair on the international speaking cycle, making obscene amounts of money for doing very little at all. The reaction to AD being in an iScotland would be like Tony Blair being in the UK at the moment - no one is going to stop him or harass him but everyone will still be aware of what happened with him.

Actually, what did the 1997 No-No people do after the Yes-Yes? I imagine they knew their campaign was futile from the very beginning, so they didn't invest anywhere near as much into it as AD and the Better Together crew have into their campaign.
1M14 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:26 AM   #6089
heresjohnny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Dawz View Post
Utterly clueless. Why does this lie keep getting repeated by the Nats?

Quebec voted against independence twice in 1980 and 1995.
New Caledonia voted against independence in 1987.
Montenegro voted against independence in 1992.
Bermuda voted against independence in 1995.

All of those have just as much right to call themselves a 'country' as Scotland does, and they all voted No. Scotland will join the list next month.
Why is country in inverted commas? Scotland is a country, we don't just call ourselves it.

If you want to get pedantic about it:

Quebec is province of Canada with no sovereignty. That is why they have a Quebec sovereignty movement. Scotland on the other hand is very much sovereign, Westminster's ultimate sovereignty is an English principle that has no counterpart in Scots law. The UK is a commonwealth realm consisting of four constituent countries : England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Scotland is a country.

New Caledonia is a special collectivity of France, not a country.

Bermuda is a territory(a colony) of the UK, not a country.

A lot of the referendums above had massive boycotts by other ethnic groups.

Quote:
The Albanian national minority boycotted the election, as did the pro-sovereigntist orientated Montenegrins.
Montenegro is an independent country now. How are you putting us off independence exactly by stating that?

No, Scotland will not be joining your impressive list of 4 places.
Old Today, 01:30 AM   #6090
heresjohnny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boards View Post
Next time Scotland are playing football and you say 'we' should have scored'

I hope you have an explosion of diarrhea as punishment. That might fix the chill down your spine.
Old Today, 02:34 AM   #6091
Nathan Dawz

Quote:
Quebec is province of Canada with no sovereignty. That is why they have a Quebec sovereignty movement. Scotland on the other hand is very much sovereign, Westminster's ultimate sovereignty is an English principle that has no counterpart in Scots law. The UK is a commonwealth realm consisting of four constituent countries : England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Scotland is a country.

New Caledonia is a special collectivity of France, not a country.

Bermuda is a territory(a colony) of the UK, not a country.
The word 'country' is so vague it can mean anything. You'll find plenty of people in Quebec, New Caledonia, Bermuda, etc. who think their respective territories are 'countries'. The point is that none of them are sovereign, and neither is Scotland. Scotland is a subdivision of the sovereign UK, Quebec is a subdivision of a sovereign Canada.

Scotland's sovereignty ended in 1707 and this referendum is to determine whether Scotland will be a sovereign nation again. This isn't complicated stuff yet you still keep getting it wrong.
Old Today, 02:35 AM   #6092
Nathan Dawz

Quote:
Next time Scotland are playing football and you say 'we' should have scored'

I hope you have an explosion of diarrhea as punishment. That might fix the chill down your spine.
What a thoroughly unpleasant, hate-filled individual you are.
Old Today, 03:33 AM   #6093
Xtreminal
Black Cobra

Likes (Received): 1404

Independence could be good for England if it ensures that the irresponsible and dangerous Labour and Tories can't get in again.
Old Today, 04:46 AM   #6094
heresjohnny

Quote:
What a thoroughly unpleasant, hate-filled individual you are.
Hate filled for referring to my own country as 'we'?

For example - 'we' have scored against Germany'

Wow, feel the rage.
Old Today, 05:04 AM   #6095
heresjohnny

Quote:
The word 'country' is so vague it can mean anything. You'll find plenty of people in Quebec, New Caledonia, Bermuda, etc. who think their respective territories are 'countries'. The point is that none of them are sovereign, and neither is Scotland. Scotland is a subdivision of the sovereign UK, Quebec is a subdivision of a sovereign Canada.

Scotland's sovereignty ended in 1707 and this referendum is to determine whether Scotland will be a sovereign nation again. This isn't complicated stuff yet you still keep getting it wrong.
No, the word country is not that vague.
Quote:
country
ˈkʌntri/Submit
noun
a nation with its own government, occupying a particular territory.
Is Scotland a nation? Yes, does it have its own government? Yes, Do Scots occupy the land known as Scotland? Yes.

Scotland's sovereignty did not end, the unlimited sovereignty of Westminster is an English law only, it does not have any counterpart in Scots law.

The UN says its list of sovereign nations is controversial as many are disputed but you still know better. Westminster never does any wrong, what it says goes as far as your concerned.

The declaration of Abroath is the most important document in Scotland's history. Sovereignty lies with the people of Scotland. It does not lie with Westminster.
Old Today, 10:00 AM   #6096
Due East

Likes (Received): 292

Quote:
A Scot living in Scotland saying 'we' when referring to Scotland, sends a chill down your spine? Why would that scare anyone?

Are you like Due-East and think the apocalypse is coming? I think you both might need to calm your paranoia a bit.

Is Darling a member of the Scottish Parliament? Nobody wants him in Scotland now, never mind after independence. Would England want him to fuck up their economy a second time? Not that Labour will get in anyway.

A new career in after dinner speaking awaits Darling.
Sums up your whole attitude Johnny. You are claiming to speak for the nation ('we') and yet every single poll has put you in the minority.

What an arrogant tosser you are to assume that you speak for people in this country.

RobH liked this post
Due East no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:06 AM   #6097
Due East

Likes (Received): 292

Quote:
Why do nationalists(only) have to give you exact answer for something in the future? Are they mind readers?

There are a whole host of negotiations to go through before 2016. A currency union will be negotiated, i'm certain of that. So, how can we plan exact budget or tell you what concessions there will be when we do not know exactly what will happen yet. If there is no currency union then we will have no debt whatsoever. We won't have the BoE as the central bank but with no debt and rUK losing every connection to the oil, the Scottish budget will be far larger than it is just now.

In fact a new country with a £1.5 trillion resource to back it up and no debt is the sort of county investors would be falling over themselves to invest in. Scotland's credit rating would go through the roof.

Who is to say the SNP will be in government in an independent Scotland anyway, maybe an independent Labour party will be the first government, who knows? The will make their own decisions on what to keep or cut.

There are £25 billion worth of cuts to come if we vote no, why aren't you talking about that? That will hit much harder than independence ever could.

The most important thing is if we choose independence we will be choosing ourselves what to keep or cut, not Westminster.

Pretty much the answer I was expecting and the main reason why independence will not happen. THe complete failure to engage in any discussion about potential downsides and risk just makes people switch off from some of the valid points being made.

You are an extremist. There is no point debating with you as you fail to even acknowledge and discuss potential risks like capital flight, increased interest rates etc.

I had a great chat with a Yes voter the other day who was at least willing to discuss these things without ramming 'facts' and oblique comments from insiders down my throat.

Maybe you should take note Johnny and try discussing things without just pushing your tiresome 'im always right' crap.
Due East no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
obsessednationalists