daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Asian Skyscraper Forums > South East Asia > Singapore Skyscraper Forum > Projects and Construction > Project News and Updates > Public Housing Projects

Old December 24th, 2011, 08:26 AM   #1
SonofaDude

Likes (Received): 2

Mechanised parking systems for HDB estates?

I presume a significant issue would be the time required to retrieve one's vehicle.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mechanised parking systems for HDB estates?

Housing Board tasked to study usage to help in resolving car park shortages
04:45 AM Dec 24, 2011

SINGAPORE - With older housing estates facing a shortage in car parks, National Development Minister Khaw Boon Wan has tasked the Housing and Development Board (HDB) to study the use of high-rise mechanised parking systems for these estates. Of the 1,800 HDB car parks islandwide, about 220 faced "localised shortages".

In his latest blog entry yesterday, Mr Khaw said former Member of Parliament (MP) Ang Mong Seng has strongly recommended mechanised systems after returning from a trip to China where he went to study them. "He (Mr Ang) said it would be cheaper and it needed less land. He added that it would be reliable," wrote Mr Khaw, who noted that such solutions have been adopted by Thomson Medical Centre and the National Heart Centre here.

Thus, Mr Khaw said the HDB has been tasked to evaluate the different technologies available and work through implementation issues such as waiting time for car retrieval, breakdowns and public acceptance. "If these issues can be sorted out, HDB should try it out," he added.

Writing on the Ministry of National Development's (MND) Facebook page last night, MP Lee Bee Wah felt that "it is an option worth exploring", especially for older estates where there is not much space to build new car parks.

While she noted that concerns raised - such as mechanical breakdowns - "are real", Ms Lee felt that "technology is changing and improving". "As MND GPC (Government Parliamentary Committee) chairman and an engineer myself, I would like to volunteer myself and my GPC members, to study this option together," said Ms Lee.

While Singapore has 900,000 HDB flats and 557,000 car park lots, Mr Khaw noted the problem of car park shortages was mostly felt in older HDB estates, which were built under old car park provision norms. In estates with four-room flats for example, 560 car park lots were planned for every 1,000 flats.

"This was adequate in the past but not any more. More Singaporeans now own cars and some own more than one car," said Mr Khaw, who noted that 5 per cent of HDB households own two or more cars. The equivalent norm now is 710 car park lots for every 1,000 flats. With these new norms, Mr Khaw assured that new HDB flats would come with adequate car parks.

The HDB has added 3,400 lots in the last two years and will add another 1,600 lots next year. These 5,000 lots cost S$66 million. It is also setting aside more reserved "red-lots" for residents, removing the Night Parking Scheme for non-residents and implementing Electronic Pricing System to increase turnover of short-term parking demand.
SonofaDude no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old January 2nd, 2012, 11:42 PM   #2
TovAver1573

Kinda like the one featured in Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol?

It might look something like this:

TovAver1573 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2012, 11:51 PM   #3
TovAver1573

Watch this video on VW Autostadt, Germany
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3obfEHVrII
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JguJpX7bS6k

Some detail on how the silo works. Practical as a public garage? I don't know. It just looks cool.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAQ0ewhZWs4

Crazy Japanese Mechanized Garage
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFHVukDUI2U

Last edited by TovAver1573; January 2nd, 2012 at 11:58 PM.
TovAver1573 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2012, 04:21 AM   #4
OpenH2O

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TovAver1573 View Post
Watch this video on VW Autostadt, Germany
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3obfEHVrII
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JguJpX7bS6k

Some detail on how the silo works. Practical as a public garage? I don't know. It just looks cool.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAQ0ewhZWs4

Crazy Japanese Mechanized Garage
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFHVukDUI2U
HK car park tower design competition winner 2011
OpenH2O no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2012, 10:51 AM   #5
Mith252
Proud to be Malay-Chinese

Likes (Received): 289

Some news on the mechanised parking systems.

Quote:
Mechanised parking systems to ease constraints
Posted: 12 January 2012 1723 h
rs

SINGAPORE: The authorities are targeting to do pilot tests of mechanised parking systems in housing estates by year-end.

The tests would likely be conducted in older estates with space constraints.

Singapore's Housing and Development Board and the National Development Government Parliamentary Committee are jointly studying automated solutions to overcome the parking woes.

The system being looked at involves vertically stacking vehicles with lifts to maximise use of land.

Over 70 of such parking lots have been built in various places across the island.

The study by authorities will determine whether such lots are feasible for housing estates.

- CNA/ck
source: http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...176354/1/.html

Btw, if you can't see the images I posted, I have deleted them.
Mith252 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2013, 07:50 AM   #6
Mith252

News from CNA.

Quote:
HDB to pilot mechanised parking system in three sites
By S Ramesh
POSTED: 06 Oct 2013 10:53

A pilot programme on mechanised parking in HDB estates will be tried out at three locations - Car Park BJ15 beside Block 259A Bangkit Road, Car Park Y39 beside Block 666A Yishun Avenue 4 and Car Park CV1 behind Block 1 Changi Village Road.

Artist's impression of Car Park CV1 behind Block 1 Changi Village Road, which will be adopting the “Cart System”. (HDB photo)

Artist's impression of Car Park Y39 beside Block 666A of Yishun Avenue 4, which will be adopting the “Tower Parking System”. (HDB photo)

Artist's impression of Car Park BJ15 beside Block 259A Bangkit Road, which will be adopting the “Tower Parking System”. (HDB photo)

SINGAPORE: A pilot programme on mechanised parking in HDB estates will be tried out at three locations.

These are Car Park BJ15 beside Block 259A Bangkit Road, Car Park Y39 beside Block 666A Yishun Avenue 4 and Car Park CV1 behind Block 1 Changi Village Road.

GPC Chairman for National Development Lee Bee Wah announced this during a site visit to the proposed area at Bangkit Road on Sunday morning.

In January 2012, Dr Lee had initiated a joint GPC-HDB study on the viability of mechanised parking in HDB estates.

The objective was to address car park shortages in older HDB estates, where there is limited space to build more lots.

The study team evaluated different mechanised parking technologies and looked into potential implementation issues, such as residents' acceptance, retrieval time and management of breakdowns.

The team visited commercial and private residential developments which have already implemented mechanised car parking systems to learn from their experience.

It also studied experiences in Japan and South Korea, two countries which use such systems extensively, to cater to the parking needs of their urban populations.

The study found that mechanised car parking systems have three key benefits:

-- they use land more efficiently and allow more parking lots for a given footprint than multi-storey or surface car parking.

-- they allow parking spaces to be created in areas with site constraints, including building them on existing car park lots.

-- they allow customised design so that the mechanised car park can blend in with the aesthetics of the area.

However, due to its more complex design, the cost of installing and maintaining mechanised parking is higher than that for multi-storey or surface car parking.

As such, the study team recommended that HDB pilot mechanised parking selectively - within estates that experience parking shortages and where there are no other alternatives.

The HDB says the three sites identified - Bukit Panjang, Yishun and Changi Village - have very high demand for parking and a shortage of lots.

However, due to site constraints, it is not possible for HDB to add more lots by building more surface car parks or constructing multi-storey car parks.

HDB says the system adopted at the three pilot sites will depend on the parking situation there and site configurations.

HDB will be installing the "Tower Parking System" for car parks at Bangkit Road and Yishun Avenue 4, and the "Cart System" in the car park at Changi Village Road.

The project is estimated to be completed by end-2015.

HDB adds that as this is a pilot study, the parking charges for the mechanised parking system will be the same as existing car parks.

Writing on his blog, National Development Minister Khaw Boon Wan says the pilot programme will allow HDB to gauge public acceptance of the system.

- CNA/ir
source: CNA

Old October 6th, 2013, 08:55 AM   #7
y2koh

Likes (Received): 83

The Bangkit one looks really huge, with 16 levels and probably around 12 cars per floor. That means close to 190 lots, possibly to respond to the parking crunch with the mosque and the future hawker centre nearby.
y2koh está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2013, 04:25 PM   #8
Madrenergic

Likes (Received): 21

An automated parking system for public housing. If that doesn't make news, I don't know what will.
Madrenergic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2013, 12:02 AM   #9
Mith252

News from TODAY.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.n...82131180_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.n...62688253_n.jpg

source: TODAY

Old October 16th, 2013, 12:46 AM   #10
Mith252

News from TODAY.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.n...30220245_n.jpg

Old October 20th, 2013, 04:22 PM   #11
SonofaDude

I wonder what the parking charges would be eventually.
SonofaDude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2013, 11:47 PM   #12
Mith252

News from TODAY. I decided to post this here as it is regarding mechanised parking.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.n...79473251_n.jpg

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: