daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > Southern Africa > South Africa > Regional Development and Discussion > Rest of South Africa

Rest of South Africa For the provinces of Eastern Cape, Free State, Limpopo, Mpumalanga, North West and Northern Cape

Old July 1st, 2011, 02:26 AM   #1
musiccity
Retired Mod

Likes (Received): 5107

#Kalahari Mall - 25 000m² - Upington | Complete

Quote:
A new 25,000m2 regional shopping mall worth R350m is on the cards for Die Rand in Upington in the Northern Cape. Taking its name from the surrounding Kalahari Desert basin, Kalahari Mall will offer customers a one-stop shopping oasis in a state-of-the-art air-conditioned retail environment.

Retail Africa leasing director Richard O’Sullivan says existing retail outlets in Upington’s CBD are scattered and parking is scarce. “In addition, there is minimal representation from many of the national retailers. With several national retailers under one roof, Kalahari Mall is set to change the status quo and provide shoppers with a convenient, comprehensive and comfortable shopping destination,” he says.

And comfort is key in a city where temperatures are often in excess of 40 degrees centigrade. “The centre is fully air- conditioned and we expect people to view it as an “oasis” that will provide relief from the blazing heat outside,” says O’Sullivan.

The mall will be bordered by Malherbe, Bosman, Botha and van Riebeeck Streets in the eastern part of town and is expected to service Upington, as well as a 300 kilometre catchment area incorporating Keetmanshoop, Kathu and Prieska, amongst others.

Anchored by major retailers such as Checkers, Spar, Edgars and other clothing fashion chains, Kalahari Mall will provide much needed retail diversity for shoppers, as well as a central piazza area that accommodates several eateries where they can relax and grab a bite. In addition, the centre offers ample parking space and a taxi rank.

O’Sullivan says prospective shoppers will come from the large agricultural community, as well as from the constant stream of tourists on their way to various game parks and tourist destinations in the area. “Interestingly, Upington is the testing ground for BMW, Audi and Mercedes Benz (for its extreme temperatures and long, flat testing surfaces) – so the city gets a regular influx of international visitors for this purpose,” he says.

Architecturally, the mall draws on the earthy and sandstone textures and colours of the surrounding landscape, as well as the area’s cultural heritage, such as San art, which is incorporated into some of the design elements. Acacia (Camelthorn) trees and other local succulents such as the local Quiver trees will form part of the external landscaping for the centre.

O’Sullivan says the local council is encouraged by the development as it is expected to provide employment opportunities and skills transfer for local contractors and sub contractors during the construction phase. “In addition, there will be job opportunities for maintenance staff and shop assistants once the development is complete. The centre will also provide an excellent space for local franchises to operate from,” he says.
Source

Last edited by musiccity; October 21st, 2012 at 09:44 PM.
musiccity no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old July 1st, 2011, 11:06 AM   #2
dysan1
More development

Likes (Received): 345

nice modern design
Old July 1st, 2011, 02:08 PM   #3
takz

Likes (Received): 33

i like upington for its location along the river. many other small towns are like this and have great settings but no dev
takz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2011, 03:11 PM   #4
musiccity
Retired Mod

Not a whole lot in Upington except for a new hospital and this mall. Something unique about Upington is that its CBD is still very clean and tidy and the city's 100,000 residents do their shopping in the CBD and not in suburban malls. Kalahari Mall will be the city's first suburban mall.
Old July 1st, 2011, 04:55 PM   #5
Jakes1
Jakes1

Likes (Received): 120

I hate malls.
Jakes1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2011, 04:59 PM   #6
musiccity
Retired Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakes1 View Post
I hate malls.
There are definitaly reasons to hate them, but Upington needs one. Its a growing city and (according to articles) the parking situation in the CBD is not good. Also, Upington has a very hot climate unlike Joburg or Cape Town with temps easily rising over 40C throughout the summer. I wouldnt want to have to walk all over the CBD to shop in those temperatures, I would much prefer to shop in an indoor, air-conditioned mall.
Old July 1st, 2011, 05:19 PM   #7
Jakes1
Jakes1

Likes (Received): 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by musiccity View Post
There are definitaly reasons to hate them, but Upington needs one. Its a growing city and (according to articles) the parking situation in the CBD is not good. Also, Upington has a very hot climate unlike Joburg or Cape Town with temps easily rising over 40C throughout the summer. I wouldnt want to have to walk all over the CBD to shop in those temperatures, I would much prefer to shop in an indoor, air-conditioned mall.
I hear you, but malls suck. I remember showing international visitors Menlyn Mall and Gateway and Sandton - imagining how impressed they would be. Quite frankly, a mall is a mall is a mall. You can visit Lilongwe, Sao Paulo, Istanbul, Cleveland, Windhoek or Biloxi, but all the malls offer the same bland, pseudo-modern, semi-themeparky piece of crap. I agree with you on the parking problem in the CBDs, and even if Upington is a small village compared to Johannesburg, it is for the same reason that shops left the CBD for the suburban faux-facade palaces. Without a decent public transport system, there is just not enough people going through the centers on a daily basis to sustain the department stores. In Ohio, the city centers are empty - the department stores and restaurants and theaters and cafes left decades ago. Because everyone jumps into their cars to do the convenient thing. Even in small Free State towns like Bethlehem the new fringe-of-the-city-mall effectively killed the central business districts.
Jakes1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2011, 05:25 PM   #8
musiccity
Retired Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakes1 View Post
I hear you, but malls suck. I remember showing international visitors Menlyn Mall and Gateway and Sandton - imagining how impressed they would be. Quite frankly, a mall is a mall is a mall. You can visit Lilongwe, Sao Paulo, Istanbul, Cleveland, Windhoek or Biloxi, but all the malls offer the same bland, pseudo-modern, semi-themeparky piece of crap. I agree with you on the parking problem in the CBDs, and even if Upington is a small village compared to Johannesburg, it is for the same reason that shops left the CBD for the suburban faux-facade palaces. Without a decent public transport system, there is just not enough people going through the centers on a daily basis to sustain the department stores. In Ohio, the city centers are empty - the department stores and restaurants and theaters and cafes left decades ago. Because everyone jumps into their cars to do the convenient thing. Even in small Free State towns like Bethlehem the new fringe-of-the-city-mall effectively killed the central business districts.
I agree with you, malls in general have no originality, but one is needed in a hot-climate city like Upington.
Old July 1st, 2011, 05:33 PM   #9
musiccity
Retired Mod

The mall is actually 35,000m2 not 25,000m2, disregard the article.
Old July 4th, 2011, 09:53 PM   #10
musiccity
Retired Mod

According to Google Street View, the sign in front of the Kalahari Mall site says its opening in early 2011. Well, I'm pretty sure it hasnt opened, and Ive been looking everywhere for more information regarding this project. Does anyone have any info?
Old February 18th, 2012, 05:27 PM   #11
musiccity
Retired Mod

So I thought this project was dead but apparently not! Just delayed...

Kalahari Mall On Track

Construction is expected to commence on the proposed 30 000 m2 Kalahari Mall in De Rand in Upington in early 2012.
The R350 million regional shopping mall, which is named after the surrounding Kalahari Desert basin, is destined to become a
sought-after one-stop shopping “oasis” for customers.

Quote:
Retail Africa leasing director Richard
O’Sullivan says given the extreme day-time
temperatures in the area, the state-of-the-art
air-conditioned retail environment will
provide customers with a welcome respite
from the heat.

“Because existing retail outlets in the CBD are
scattered, parking space is limited and there is
minimal representation from many of the
national retailers in the area, residents are
looking forward to the elements of
convenience and comfort implicit in this type
of shopping destination,” says O’Sullivan.

The layout of the centre was revisited in
recent months and the new improved layout
was approved by the council, and work-
shopped with the residents. The new
orientation of the centre will result in
significant environmental and storm-water
advantages, as well as flood mitigation
measures.

The site abuts Van Riebeeck, Malherbe
and Rondom Streets in the eastern part of
town. The mall is situated within a well-
established residential area in close
proximity to four schools for convenient
daily shopping, as well as being accessible
from the outlying towns along the major
arterials, such as Keetmanshoop, Kathu
and Prieska.

The centre will be anchored by major retailers
such as Checkers, Edgars and Spar. Upon
completion the centre will boast a national
tenant representation of more than 80%,
providing a comprehensive shopping
experience to the broader shopping
community. It will provide much needed retail
diversity for shoppers, as well as a central
piazza area with several eateries, ample
parking space and a taxi rank for people using
public transport.

O’Sullivan says while many prospective
shoppers will come from the local community,
the area also enjoys a consistent influx of
visitors on their way to various game parks
and tourist destinations in the area. “Local
initiatives such as Orange River Wine Cellars,
which boasts one of the largest vineyards
globally with five wineries in Yakamas,
Kermes, Orpington, Grootdrink and
Groblershoop, are a huge draw-card for
tourists as well,” he says.
Source
Old February 20th, 2012, 09:36 PM   #12
musiccity
Retired Mod

Old October 21st, 2012, 09:46 PM   #13
musiccity
Retired Mod

Kalahari Mall is full steam ahead!

Quote:
[...] The first excavations for the Kalahari Mall of at least R350miljoen recently started and construction work to the Kgalagadi mall about R400miljoen also well underway.

Kobus Duvenhage Builders and construction company Group 5 prepares the site of the Kalahari Mall of impact studies provisions for wetlands.

The shopping center, developed by Group 5 and Retail Africa, an area of ​​25000m ². The site along Dune Field between Malherbe High School, Van Riebeeck and around Street in the eastern suburb of The Edge.

Chain stores like Checkers, Spar, Edgars, King Pie and the group Ocean Basket restaurant will open stores in the center.

Construction of this center would have started in 2006 but was repeatedly postponed due to problems with the initial design. Another problem was that the site is wetland. [...]
Source
Old October 21st, 2012, 09:48 PM   #14
musiccity
Retired Mod

Groundworks!

Old October 26th, 2012, 04:24 PM   #15
martiens

Likes (Received): 0

@Musiccity - Hi.. where did you get these shots from?

Do you have any information about the other Mall project in Upington? The "Kgalagadi Mall", supposedly to be built on the open land across from the new Hospital...

martiens no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2012, 05:20 PM   #16
musiccity
Retired Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by martiens View Post
@Musiccity - Hi.. where did you get these shots from?

Do you have any information about the other Mall project in Upington? The "Kgalagadi Mall", supposedly to be built on the open land across from the new Hospital...
Hi Martiens! Welcome to the forum!

I got these shots from this website

www.kdbuild.co.za

They are funding both projects, I will be creating a thread on Kgalagadi Mall soon. Upington will go from having 0 malls to 2 all at the same time!
Old October 31st, 2012, 02:49 PM   #17
Caisson Boy
Karoo Prime

Likes (Received): 54

Maybe they are the same project? Isn't Kalahari just an alternate spelling of Kgalagadi?
Old October 31st, 2012, 05:24 PM   #18
musiccity
Retired Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caisson Boy View Post
Maybe they are the same project? Isn't Kalahari just an alternate spelling of Kgalagadi?
Nope they are two different projects, one is one the east side of Upington and the other is one the west side.
Old April 21st, 2013, 11:10 PM   #19
musiccity
Retired Mod

Update:

kdbuild.co.za
Old June 8th, 2013, 11:22 AM   #20
Henrich332

Likes (Received): 0

new

hello i am new to this forum but i am from upington.
the new mall is making me exitide and i cant wait for it.
duineveld and Oranje-Noord is saiding it will be finished the september. but when will it be finished?
Pm me this if you can.
i have readed the comments and upington gets to a digree of 43-42 in the medidle summer.

I am sorry for my bad spelling.
Henrich332 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
northern cape