search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Citytalk and Urban Issues

Citytalk and Urban Issues » Guess the City

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 4th, 2016, 06:56 PM   #81
The Polman

Likes (Received): 81

In my city (Tilburg), there is not really a big concentration, though the city centre as a whole is a hipster location, the houses are relatively cheap, there are lots of restaurants and not so much chain stores as in other cities while located in between other cities. The Spoorzone at this moment is a location of many events since it offers much temporary spaces to prevent them becoming more derelict.

But for a bigger hipster scene Rotterdam is the place to be for sure. Sure I remind you about the many kluswoningen (cheap homes in developing neighbourhoods) and the vibrance of the city as a whole that develops into a well-known tourist spot. At that time the "problem district (as was once noted by politician Vogelaar)" of Rotterdam-Zuid might become the hipster hotspot of our country.
The Polman no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 5th, 2016, 06:31 AM   #82
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 8008

The more hipsters the bigger the douche bag factor. As soon as they 'discover' an area, it's time to head somewhere else.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Svartmetall, Proterra liked this post
isaidso está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2016, 01:34 PM   #83
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 7832

Isaidso, I agree with you almost 100% on that... We're infested here, and it's definitely time to head elsewhere!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2016, 11:13 AM   #84
anaida

Likes (Received): 2

Dresden is becoming now what Berlin was in the 80s-90s. Awesome city, hipster in a good way. Also, have you heard about Wrocław? Polish city, loads of techno and alternative music, hipster cafes, vegan food, paradise, and not overcrowded. It's also close to Zieleniec, cool ski resort.

alexandru.mircea, erbse liked this post
anaida no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2016, 11:19 PM   #85
tongue_tied_danny

Likes (Received): 337

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaida View Post
Dresden is becoming now what Berlin was in the 80s-90s. Awesome city, hipster in a good way. Also, have you heard about Wrocław? Polish city, loads of techno and alternative music, hipster cafes, vegan food, paradise, and not overcrowded. It's also close to Zieleniec, cool ski resort.
I always thought Torun was the Polish hipster's city of choice...
tongue_tied_danny no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2016, 12:51 AM   #86
Balkanada

Likes (Received): 205

Too many people here are confusing the word yuppie with hipster

Yuppie: young professional whose obsession with material goods is child-like. These people tend to be more mainstream as far as style and the media they consume goes. They go to upscale bars and restaurants, live in brand new condos in glass highrises in their city's CBD, they are highly indebted because they just must have this year's Mercedes CLA or Tesla Model S. Since many of these people work in IT, they tend to naturally be more technology forward. Uber for example just became popular in like the last year, but yuppies have been using it for years (startups like these start out in operation in city centres, which is where they live)

Hipsters: they tend to care less about material goods and more about arts and culture. The way they dress is alternative and edgy, but the style does have a regional variety. Like in US cities hipsters look like lumberjacks while in Berlin/Amsterdam the hipsters have a lot more of a flashy style. These people hang out at places that quench their thirst for everything obscure, like Nepalese restaurants and microbreweries that serve sriracha-flavoured craft beer. They're snobby, especially when it comes to the arts, and complain about everything thinking that that's a normal state of mind (I mean, come on, open up Vice and you'll see what I mean)

People confuse the two because they're both young people that dwell in urban areas, and a fusion between the two is not uncommon. That being said, you can go to any major city in the world and you'll find a hipster scene of some sort. The beauty of cities is how you can find so many niches that there's no way you can't fit in. It's just a matter of which city is more hipster than anything, and I would say Berlin, Copenhagen and Amsterdam excel at that

Somnifor, alexandru.mircea, erbse liked this post
Balkanada no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2016, 04:06 PM   #87
alexandru.mircea
Ars longa, vita brevis

Likes (Received): 8545

^ good post, that's a key distinction you are making, but in fairness it has to be said that for a long while now there has been a bastardisation of the two categories. Most people now, when they referr to hipsters, they don't actually think of the original "alternative" poeple that hipsters were, but are thinking of poseur yuppies, who take up a few of the exteriour signs (beard, funny hat / accessory, bycicle) but who are just shells, with no interiour life, no actual authentic strive anywhere.

and
of my town.

===

/
/ Bucharest:
+

===

In Praise Of
/
Cities
alexandru.mircea no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2016, 04:52 AM   #88
geoking66

Likes (Received): 722

How has no one mentioned Toronto? It's probably the most hipster city in North America.
Old April 28th, 2016, 09:29 AM   #89
samlinhchi

Likes (Received): 0

home to my favorite kinds of buildings, and people

anyway, richmond is known for being pretty hipster.

|
|
|
|
|
samlinhchi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2016, 12:30 PM   #90
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 46906

Berlin wins the hipster contest by miles.
Old April 29th, 2016, 02:29 PM   #91
Manolo_B2
Liberté Égalité Beyoncé

Likes (Received): 254

IMO it's:
- New York City
- Berlin
- San Francisco
- Copenhagen
- Barcelona

..don't know exactly about South America and Asia
Manolo_B2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2016, 06:14 PM   #92
soremi

Likes (Received): 1

Cracow in Poland
soremi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2016, 03:36 AM   #93
Balkanada

Likes (Received): 205

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoking66 View Post
How has no one mentioned Toronto? It's probably the most hipster city in North America.
I wouldn't say so. Toronto, especially nowadays with the rise of Drake and The Weeknd, is more known for being an "urban/hip-hop" culture kind of city. Really, like every big city it's diverse and there are hipsters in this city along with people of any other subculture you can think of, but if I was a hipster I would not consider Toronto my mecca, because the hipster culture here really isn't that strong
Balkanada no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2016, 09:55 AM   #94
hateman

Likes (Received): 1025

I'm surprised that LA hasn't been mentioned. Go to Silver Lake or Echo Park, go anywhere with young people, and you'll notice that LA residents have either absorbed the most acute examples of what people label "hipster," or have strongly embraced the superficial hallmarks of it.

In my experience most hipsters in major cities are not urbanites, they're people who are dressing and acting for the part of an urban fantasy. LA to begin with is a suburban sprawl, so it's suburbanites play-acting like urbanites in a giant suburb.
We are seeking to follow the type of architecture which is good in the sense that it does not of necessity follow the whims of the moment but seeks an artistry that ought to be good, as far as we can tell, for all time to come. -FDR

We shape our buildings; thereafter they shape us. -Winston Churchill
hateman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2016, 03:13 PM   #95
OtAkAw
BUMMED

Likes (Received): 317

Karl Lagerfeld just staged the first Chanel fashion show in Latin America to Havana, that's gonna make people curious about the city.

OtAkAw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2016, 04:51 PM   #96
rayvs99

Likes (Received): 848

Hipster is just a fad and will go away like other subcultures.so save your money for college.

Home Insurance Building in Chicago, erected in 1884-1885. The so-called “Father of the Skyscraper"
rayvs99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2016, 04:55 PM   #97
rayvs99

Likes (Received): 848

[QUOTE=Depet;104943490]First, let me introduce myself.
I'm a 30-yr old airline employee, new to skyscrapercity forum (someone you would call a hipster) who has travelled to over 100 countries during my life. Visited most major cities on all continents.

My top 5 cities ever visited (based on my own experience)
1. Paris, France
2. Melbourne, Australia
3. Montreal, Canada
4. Portland, OR, USA
5. Helsinki, Finland

The top-5 Hipster cities, are
1. NYC, (Soho and Brooklyn) USA (home of the Hipster movement)
QUOTE]

Williamsburg Brooklyn to be specific also has a high concentration for NYC

Home Insurance Building in Chicago, erected in 1884-1885. The so-called “Father of the Skyscraper"
rayvs99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote