SkyscraperCity Forum banner

East West Rail

227K views 1K replies 95 participants last post by  geogregor 
#1 ·
After the recent successes on the western section of the proposed east west line - 1) The signing of the agreement with Chiltern and 2)the commencement of detailed design work for the western section, East West rail are turning their attention to the 'missing gap' between the Midland Main line at Bedford and the East Coast Main line.
A recently issued consultation puts forward a number of options to 'bridge' this gap but seems to favour a southerly route on the MML to Luton entailing construction of a new short link from the Marston Vale Line near Stewartby and then south on the MML to Luton (including the airport) then on a new alignment to Stevenage and then onward to Cambridge and beyond.

http://www.eastwestrail.org.uk/reports/

Some interesting pictures and and models of potential services are included

#2 ·
Whilst I'm generally in favour of reopening schemes, what seems to be on offer here doesn't really seem worth the costs which are being quoted. The report has essentially come up with two options for the eastern section of the line, neither of which is up to much. Either track is relaid as far as Sandy to join with the ECML as far as Hitchin then using the existing line from there to Cambridge, or a chord from Stewartby to the MML to reach Luton from where a new line is laid to Stevenage where the ECML takes us back to Hitchin and then onto Cambridge. Neither of the options offers the direct route between Oxford and Cambridge which made the route worthwhile in the first place, and both will create even more pathing problems on already busy main lines. Imho, it's better just to get to Sandy and at some point in the future, rebuild the remainder of the line along the original alignment.

#3 ·
It does seem a little bit 'uppy downy' and the Luton route, whilst good for the airport, would skip Bedford.

It seems there isn't a compromise from the main aim of Oxford - Cambridge not via London. It also looks as if many services would start from Reading, which makes sense, and that Milton Keynes is important too - but through services will only go via Bletchley which isn't ideal either as it's not where the CBD or Virgin West Coast are.

So clearly there's no perfect route for this one purpose, but I think it's expanded slightly from the original romantic notion of Oxbridge links.

Ironically the quickest, neatest and maybe most cheapest way to link to two cities would have been via Superlink/a fleshed out Crossrail - which still could happen I suppose, with electrification to Oxford, and up the Lea Valley line from Stratford.

#5 ·
Bletchley is where the line crosses WCML and rerouting via Milton Keynes Central (without branching and reversing) requires an extra line between East West Rail and MKC, and along A421 to Bedford. The only way round would be making Blechley a Virgin stop, or incresing the frequency of services between MK-Blechley to a metro level.

By the way, what will be the design speed of East West Rail?

#6 ·
I know all this, I was merely saying it was unfortunate. Maybe the MK Central area should have been built around Bletchley instead...

Milton Keynes really needs a tram system, car usage there is practically American. There are already lots of skater-inhabited dive unders around the centre.

#7 ·
A number of years ago I seem to remember reading some documents with regards to the 2nd Generation new towns of which MK was a part of.

Given mistakes were made with the early new towns the plan was to return to the Garden City Movement which had provided Letchworth, Welwyn, and Hampstead Garden suburb, however this was with one subtle difference they forsaw that the car would become a mode of choice, and so each home in the twon was planned to be no more than a few minutes walk from a bus stop initially and as the town grew that plans for a more robust 'transit system' were to be started, when construction of the new Milton Keynes was started in the early 1960's, Beeching was starting his rail cuts and funding which was to be used for the proposed 'transit system' were used elsewhere and the routes which were to be used for the them were 'converted' into the 'redways network' of cycle routes.

However I can imagine given the grid network of roads/dual carriageways in the town a tram system would be comparatively easy to plan for, given the plans to expand MK to double its current size, I would think such an idea would be used, this tram system could then be used to link the Varsity line into MK.

#8 ·
Do you think Milton Keynes and Bedford will eventually need a metro after Marston Vale area is fully developed (some people predict that they may develop into a single large suburban area once this gap is filled)? The Blechley-Beford line will probably become the core of the system I reckon...

#9 ·
Site investigation continues on East West Rail

Milton Keynes Partnership Press release
28 October 2009

Outline design work continues apace on the western section of East West Rail with additional site investigation starting this month. The work will include excavating trial trenches along the route and making a number of boreholes to help engineers understand the condition of the ground before designing any necessary ground improvements.

The site investigation is expected to last until the end of this year after which a detailed geotechnical report will be published and will enable the design of new track and railway infrastructure to be completed.

Earlier this year the disused section between Claydon and Bletchley was cleared of vegetation to allow engineers to access the track to carry out survey work and inspect the route prior to carrying out these further site investigations.

John Lewis, Chief Executive of Milton Keynes Partnership, said: “While these investigations are happening the East West Rail Consortium is also reassessing the business case for re-opening of the railway with a view to evaluating the benefits that this would bring locally, regionally and nationally.”

This work is part of the Consortium’s drive to acquire regional and national funding in order to deliver East West Rail. Because of factors including the economic downturn, the time required to complete the statutory processes and to assemble the funding package the Consortium has revisited the programme for implementing the scheme and latest projections are to seek a start of construction in early 2014 and look to open the new train services in late 2015.

Neil Gibson, Strategic Director (Communities and Built Environment) at Buckinghamshire County Council, who chairs the East West Rail Consortium, said: “Whilst this may seem a long way off, there still is an enormous amount of planning work to be undertaken during the next stages of development, not least of which is potentially to promote the scheme under the new Planning Act 2008 which comes into force in March next year.”

http://www.miltonkeynespartnership.info/media_centre/press_releases.php?ID=146

#11 ·
To be expected really, its not building a whole new line from scratch or reinstating a former, its merley adding a connecting stretch to two existing lines which are already in use, hence much much lower cost but when looking at potential for end to end journeys very high revenue/benefits.

#14 · (Edited)
With solid plans in place to connect Milton Keynes to Oxford, surely the most cost effective solution would be to add a curve at Manston so that trains from Corby/Kettering can run onto Peterborough.

- Minimal reconstruction and a way of adding a new useful passenger service (Pet to Milton Keynes).
- improve freight routing - in particular for the trains to the eurohub in corby

In a perfect world, the actual link would be made by also reinstating the Wellingboro/Northhampton line to link all the Northamptonshire towns (recognizing that Peterboro was originally a part). This would also help reduce journeys on the choked local roads by providing a faster public transport option.

#17 ·
It might be useful to have that curve anyway, for flexibility, freight etc...

The Bicester - Oxford upgrade is a very small step in this project; it will enable 90mph running and mostly double track, but I think that has been scaled back in parts.

Chiltern are having open submissions for what the Evergreen 4 could be - and I'm sure that some options will be inadvertently beneficial for East West rail, such as the Aylesbury Vale extension continuing northwards, possibly to Bletchley/MK.

#25 ·
Dragging up an old thread, but progress relevant to East-West Rail, as well as the 'Evergreen 3' project.

Newsrail Express said:
Chiltern Railways takes over Bicester to Oxford services

Chiltern Railways took over the operation of the Bicester Town to Oxford train service from First Great Western on Sunday 22 May 2011 and assumes responsibility for Islip and Bicester Town stations. Oxford station will continue to be managed by First Great Western.

The timetable from 22nd May is similar to that previously operated by First Great Western and includes the extra services. Fares between Bicester Town, Islip and Oxford are unchanged, however as with all Chiltern Railways trains there is no first class accommodation. Season ticket holders should note that tickets bought from First Great Western will remain valid and tickets will continue to be sold at Oxford or on the train for those starting at Bicester Town or Islip. Bicycles will be carried free of charge on this line.

Item submitted by Chiltern Railways
23 May 2011

#27 ·
Especially since Lord Wolfson made quite a bit of noise on creating a Oxford - Milton Keynes - Cambridge motorway to serve a 'brain belt' or 'silicon arc'.

Although secretly, it is already being built to HQDC standard, but as piecemeal upgrades, the most recent stretch being the new A421 between the M1 and Bedford, which opened late 2010.

#29 ·
Especially since Lord Wolfson made quite a bit of noise on creating a Oxford - Milton Keynes - Cambridge motorway to serve a 'brain belt' or 'silicon arc'.
Those comments were made in the context of his argument that HS2 is a waste of money.

Funnily enough, the plans to create the Oxford/Cambridge Arc go back some time. Problem is that they've been shelved since the Tories abolished RDAs, EEDA, EMDA and SEEDA.

In any event, the idea of compulsory purchasing 10,000 acres of green belt in predominantly Tory constituencies to build a motorway will make HS2 look like a storm in a teacup. You could also argue that the arc is more or less there already except for gaps around St Neots and between Milton and Bicester.

Far better to reopen the Varsity Line all the way to Cambridge and get journey times which a motorway wouldn't be able to compete with, whilst also providing an east-west freight artery.

#28 ·
The A421 will be continual dual carriageway from the A1 to Milton Keynes once the last section from Magna Park to Junction 13 is completed. However the A421/H8/Standing Way through MK is at capacity despite being dual carriageway for all its length and plans for a southern Bletchley bypass aren't progressing. Also there's no movement at all right now on anything between here and Bicester.

An interesting side-note is Chiltern are having to make regular use of the Aylesbury-Claydon-Bicester route to get their stock to Bicester Town to run the Oxford services.

#31 ·
I think realistically the next steps towards this final goal will come from Chiltern and whatever their Evergreen 4 plans are.

They did have a consultation and the Birmingham EG3 is almost done. Once they're in Oxford, they'll be thinking what next I'm sure.

Bicester - Bletchley or Aylesbury - Bletchley seems an obvious next step. They could run trains to MK as they have a platform there which is supposed to be for the Bedford trains (another baby step). Trains from via High Wycombe might also be popular, I'm not sure.

I could also see interest in extending some services down to Didcot and Reading. Bicester Village is a big drawcard.

#34 ·
I wonder what are the chances of electrification, given the fact it could/would link the ECML, WCML, and possibly GWML?

Also, wouldn't you have thought the planned/approved flyover at Hitchin would take into account provision for a triangular junction, to allow Sandy - Cambridge, without reversal?

#35 ·
Well, the flyover is only single track, so it'll be less than ideal regardless.

My preferred option was to dive under south of Hitchin station and have separate platforms on the goods yard. My second preference was to dive under after the road bridge and back up on to the branch. Costings were only marginally better than my ideal option for the chosen scheme, IIRC.

Personally, I'd prefer EWR to head north through Bedford Midland, then via a new route around the north of the town to St. Neots, then alongside the A428 from St. Neots. (serving places like Cambourne) to the outskirts of Cambridge, where it can take over the Guided Busway alignment to Chesterton, with the Guided Bus running down the Histon Road into Cambridge instead of down Milton Road.

#39 · (Edited)
Very keen on seeing the East/West rail go ahead but would also like to see a Motorway or (more likey Trunk Road) span the gap too - there's an obvious need for a link between Milton Keynes and Oxford as discussed previously.

My preferred road route would see Milton Keynes traffic head south and west to merge with Luton/Dunstable traffic heading due west (or even slightly north west)) meeting to plough a route to Aylesbury (heading around to the north) then on to Oxford at the junction of M40/A40

The advantage of this route is it would unite the East/West aligned traffic with both the newly built Bedford bypass and the planned new North Dunstable bypass and (phase 2) the planned north Luton bypass. My guess is that the increased traffic levels brought by these 2 routes will naturally encourage the need for an Aylesbury bypass at some stage anyway with the remainder of the necessary dual carriageway simply coming about as a 'fait a complee' - that'll all probably take 20years tho

#41 ·
My guess is that the increased traffic levels brought by these 2 routes will naturally encourage the need for an Aylesbury bypass at some stage anyway with the remainder of the necessary dual carriageway simply coming about as a 'fait a complee' - that'll all probably take 20years tho
Do you mean a fait accompli? :)

#40 ·
Is there though? Surely by making road travel easier you're just reducing the attractiveness of the rail option, which means less service will be provided, which means less will be attracted to it...and it causes a negative feedback loop. People need to be encouraged out of their cars, and then the existing roads would be sufficient. It works both ways, of course...but we all know the public transport is better than cars in the bigger picture.

#43 ·
Isn't it Latin?

Speaking as someone who went to school in Aylesbury for seven years I'd say there is a need for an Aylesbury bypass irrespective of EWR or any other improvements on the Oxford-MK-Bedford-Cambridge corridor. Aylesbury suffers severe congestion on the A41, A413 and A418 and bypassing any one of those (especially the A41) would be a massive boost to the town and the county at large. Mind you if I had to choose between that and EWR I'd give EWR priority. But I don't see the two as having anything really to do with each other.

#47 ·
New report published by a forecasting consultancy.

Key extracts -

• South East loses out: The South East consistently receives less, in relative terms, than other UK regions in public spending. Public spending for South East residents is the lowest of all the UK regions relative to the number of people in employment.
  • Annual GDP uplift to the SE (for just the western section): £38.1 million GDP uplift per year and the impact on tax revenues could be around £17.4 million per year.
  • No subsidy: Within the early stages of operating the train services, the scheme will generate a net revenue of £22m per annum and cost £18m to operate, thus there will be no requirement for a public finance subsidy.
  • High BCR ratio: If the project is wholly funded by the public sector – the forecast BCR = 6.3. If the project is able to attract private sector finance (15% contribution) – the forecast BCR = 11.2.
  • Jobs: The railway will act as a catalyst for economic growth and is forecast to create up to 12,000 new jobs.
  • Journey time savings:
    Oxford to Milton Keynes - (by car) 60-90 / (by rail) 35
    Oxford to Bedford - (by car) 90-120 / (by rail) 65
    Aylesbury to Milton Keynes - (by car) 45 / (by rail) 33