daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 17th, 2018, 04:51 PM   #16561
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

There is a hint about Norwegian Artic territories (that archipelago northern Norway). Their (not many) habitants are Norwegians but territory is claimed and seas are shared by Spain, UK, Russia and Norway. Well... territory is not claimed indeed. No one of those countries have business to do there, but seas are cool for long distances fishing. Reason of those four countries is that it is known that some of their fishers appeared a lot of centuries ago in the archipelago, in several corners.

Therefore, Norway, as has read, has taken several measures about population living there. It is said "it is forbidden to die there", just because they do not want to have a cementery in a claimed land. Thus, they do not build anything for disables. Should a person (normally aged) needs cares and so on... OK, go to mainland and remain there.

Not many people, no one worries about islands but fishing there is shared.

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 17th, 2018, 05:09 PM   #16562
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Svalbard has a special status. They're part of Norway, but not of the Schengen area. Anybody can go there a settle without a Schengen visa, even nationalities who need a visa to enter the Schengen area. A part of it is administered by Russia.
However the islands don't have native population. They're inhabitated by few thousands of people from all over the world that are mostly involved in research. It's not that people born, live, and died there, they stay there for the period they're involved.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2018, 05:21 PM   #16563
Junkie
Supervisor

Likes (Received): 792

Arctic has nothing to do with fisheries. Arctic has much to do with the black gold, called OIL. The biggest resources of OIL are there, and Russia claims the biggest territories because of these expensive resources.
So about the international borders, I will repeat myself, Russia borders Greenland and Canada inside the Arctic circle. But this exclusivity has USA and Norway too!

The Western Balkans is already in Europe i.e., it is in the heart of Europe and all of these nations want and deserve to have the same chance,
the same security and the same rights as all other citizens of the European family, right on their own continent."

BEEN IN:
MK A AL B BiH BG HR CZ EST F FIN D GR H I LT MNE NL SRB SK SLO E TR PL RKS
Junkie está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2018, 06:19 PM   #16564
MattiG

Likes (Received): 615

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
Russia borders Canada and Greenland because all of them claim Arctic territories. We should also note that Norway has Arctic territory.
A border, an exclusive economical zone, and a territorial claim are three pretty different things.

Russia really does not border Canada. For similar reasons, Argentine is not a province to UK even if the claims at Antarktis do overlap.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2018, 06:34 PM   #16565
Junkie
Supervisor

On this thread I read that France borders Australia and also other Pacific countries with maritime borders. Which is all funny.

If so the, is Ireland bordering UK mainland? Is Denmark over Greenland a neighbour of Canada? Is it Iceland bordering Denmark?

The Western Balkans is already in Europe i.e., it is in the heart of Europe and all of these nations want and deserve to have the same chance,
the same security and the same rights as all other citizens of the European family, right on their own continent."

BEEN IN:

Last edited by Junkie; January 17th, 2018 at 07:13 PM. Reason: mainland UK
Old January 17th, 2018, 07:10 PM   #16566
FabriFlorence

Likes (Received): 401

Quote:
On this thread I read that France borders Australia and also other Pacific countries with maritime borders. Which is all funny.

If so the, is Ireland bordering UK? Is Denmark over Greenland a neighbour of Canada? Is it Iceland bordering Denmark?
Of course Ireland bordering UK. The border runs for almost 500 km...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republ...Kingdom_border
FabriFlorence está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2018, 08:19 PM   #16567
Tenjac

Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
Is Denmark over Greenland a neighbour of Canada?
We can even say that Denmark and Canada have real land border on Hans island since central line of maritime border between two countries goes through the island.

http://www.businessinsider.com/canad...-island-2016-1

Junkie liked this post
Tenjac no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:29 AM   #16568
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabriFlorence View Post
Of course Ireland bordering UK. The border runs for almost 500 km...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republ...Kingdom_border
I guess question was about mainland. This is, Ireland-Wales.

In the other side, 14 km are between Europe and Africa in the tiniest side. UK and Spain in one side, Morocco and Spain in the another one.

In the tightest side, 3 km of territorial waters only for any country and two 4 km "lanes" to go from Mediterranean to Atlantic and must get correct side. Only Africa-Europe or conversely ships can cross them.

Denmark and Sweeden are joined by a tunnel and a brigde and was prepared to allow ships entering to Finland, Russia, Baltic republics, Poland... without permission

Old Yesterday, 08:31 AM   #16569
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

and about international waters

https://www.google.es/maps/@18.20546...!3m1!1e3?hl=es

In this bay, northside is Mexican, southern is from Belize.

Belize allows all Mexican ships (or whatever) to entry bay through their waters except navy.

Mexican navy takes this canal

(edit, which I do not know reason but named after my homecity...)

Old Yesterday, 10:10 AM   #16570
MattiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
Denmark and Sweeden are joined by a tunnel and a brigde and was prepared to allow ships entering to Finland, Russia, Baltic republics, Poland... without permission
The status of the straits of Denmark as international waterways is based on the Copenhagen Convention of 1857. The bridge project has no role on this.
Old Yesterday, 11:26 AM   #16571
timis2

Likes (Received): 81

Interesting, there is also ,,street view"

<iframe src="https://www.google.com/maps/embed?pb=!4v1516266231511!6m8!1m7!1s1Dr3cYJ7zdM_wRtoutsdvA!2m2!1d18.21245837930567!2d-87.84257604983185!3f274.87593272979456!4f-0.2097114111825107!5f0.7820865974627469" width="600" height="450" frameborder="0" style="border:0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
timis2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:11 PM   #16572
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Likes (Received): 9950

Quote:
Originally Posted by OulaL View Post
France would surpass Russia on the widest definition of the number of neighbours, at 17:

European land borders, 9: Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany, Switzerland, Italy, Monaco, Catalonia, Andorra, Spain
South American land borders, 2: Brazil, Suriname
Caribbean land border, 1: Netherlands
European (and Caribbean) maritime border, 1: United Kingdom
Caribbean-only maritime borders, 2: Dominica, Saint Lucia
North American maritime border, 1: Canada
Antarctic land border, 1: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
You forgot maritime borders in the Pacific.
Quote:
With which country? Unlike Caribbean, the Pacific islands are sparsely located, are they really close enough to each other for a border to exist?
Anyway, well, here are two posts about that I wrote earlier in this thread :

Quote:
Originally Posted by parcdesprinces View Post
[...] Here they are: Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany, Switzerland, Italy, Monaco, Spain, Andorra, the Netherlands (in St Martin), Suriname and Brazil.

-------

+ the UK in the Channel Tunnel:

Quote:
Seen on the (apparently) well known Anglo-French remake of the (déjà vu) very famous Dano-Swedish TV series... :

Some of the "ouverture" scenes of This Franco-Brit/Anglo-French remake were really filmed inside the Eurotunnel(s) (at least according to the producers...) .
Voilà !

----------------------------------------------

Quote:
Well, France has maritime borders with: Belgium, the UK, Jersey (UK), Guernesey (UK), Spain, Monaco, Italy, Canada, Barbados, Dominica, Montserrat (UK), St Lucia, Venezuela, St Martin (Netherlands), Anguilla (UK), Suriname, Brazil, Comoros, Madagascar, Mauritius, Seychelles, Australia, Fidji, Norfolk Island (Australia), Solomon Islands, Vanuatu, Cook Islands, Pitcairn Islands (UK), Kiribati, Samoa, Tokelau (New Zealand), Tonga, Tuvalu and Heard Island & McDonald Islands (Australia).

Voilà !

Hope I didn't miss anyone. (IMHO, enough neighbours to create the "France and its Neighbours Games" )

parcdesprinces no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:14 AM   #16573
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
On this thread I read that France borders Australia
Yes, but that is not a maritime border. It is a land border on the Antarctic continent. Both countries claim a part of it and no other country claims either of those parts. (Though there is an international dispute on whether or not the claims of any country should be recognised at all.)
Old Today, 09:25 AM   #16574
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Well, France has maritime borders with: Belgium, the UK, Jersey (UK), Guernesey (UK), Spain, Monaco, Italy, Canada, Barbados, Dominica, Montserrat (UK), St Lucia, Venezuela, St Martin (Netherlands), Anguilla (UK), Suriname, Brazil, Comoros, Madagascar, Mauritius, Seychelles, Australia, Fidji, Norfolk Island (Australia), Solomon Islands, Vanuatu, Cook Islands, Pitcairn Islands (UK), Kiribati, Samoa, Tokelau (New Zealand), Tonga, Tuvalu and Heard Island & McDonald Islands (Australia).
Is it fair to count the UK and its overseas colonies several times as France's neighbours, and at the same time count Canada as one of France's neighbours (and not the only neighbour of Saint Pierre and Miquelon)?

Sure, France and the UK have a slightly different approach when it comes to governing overseas territories, but still?

And I still question the existence of maritime borders in the Pacific. How far are the land areas from the "neighbour" countries, actually?

Last edited by OulaL; Today at 09:41 AM.
OulaL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:35 AM   #16575
MattiG

Quote:
And I still question the existence of maritime borders in the Pacific. How far are the land areas from the "neighbour" countries, actually?
The UNCLOS has some open questions, but it is safest to take the default approach: The territorial waters extend up to 12 nautical miles from the baselines, and separated islands have their own baseline. Thus, if there is more than 24 nautical miles of sea between two land points, then the borders do not meet.

The convention text is found here: http://www.un.org/depts/los/conventi...s/unclos_e.pdf

Such texts are often quite difficult to understand. This (slightly UK-centric) slide deck elaborates many questions: https://www.iho.int/mtg_docs/com_wg/.../tut3_2005.pdf

Last edited by MattiG; Today at 11:43 AM.
Old Today, 02:14 PM   #16576
Junkie
Supervisor

Quote:
Yes, but that is not a maritime border. It is a land border on the Antarctic continent. Both countries claim a part of it and no other country claims either of those parts. (Though there is an international dispute on whether or not the claims of any country should be recognised at all.)
Can you tell me about Russia?
Does Russia border Greenland and Canada?
Also can you tell me about Denmark and Canada? Do they have land border?

BEEN IN:
Old Today, 04:04 PM   #16577
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
Can you tell me about Russia?
Does Russia border Greenland and Canada?
Also can you tell me about Denmark and Canada? Do they have land border?
Russia doesn't border Greenland or Canada, as they're more than 24 nautical miles (around 40km) apart. It does border the US, though.
There is a small island split between Greenland and Canada.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:00 PM   #16578
Junkie
Supervisor

Wrong. If France borders Australia in an exclusive economical area like Antarctica is, where there are no international borders so do Russia borders Greenland and Canada in the same zone in the Arctic circle.

And again wrong. Hans island is divided on half between Denmark and Canada so there is a land border (although disputed by both sides).

BEEN IN:
Old Today, 05:34 PM   #16579
54°26′S 3°24′E

Likes (Received): 155

Italystf was spot on. There is a huge difference between an economic zone (and as far as I know the Russian arctic zone has not been approved yet) and territorial waters. Hence, there is no Russian-Danish or Russian-Canadian border, but there is one between e.g. Denmark and Canada.

Italystf did not say anything about Antarctica. As already mentioned, several countries claim sovereignty of parts of the continent. Some of these are overlapping with another, and eg the US does not recognize any of them. Instead of having a conflict on this continent, a treaty was signed between the 12 countries having interest in the area back in 1959. This treaty has now been ratified by 51 countries. Hence, although 7 countries have claims, none of these are really fully internationally recognized.

Svalbard is a different story, Norway has full sovereignty, but people from other countries has the right to certain types of economic activities on the territory on par with Norwegians. Hence, although Russia has a mining village up there, the area is not really administrated by Russia, they still have to adhere to Norwegian laws and eg environmental regulation. And again, there is a differerence between economic zone and territorial borders. The Svalbard treaty only regards the territory of Svalbard.

Last edited by 54°26′S 3°24′E; Today at 05:45 PM.
54°26′S 3°24′E está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways