daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine
Old August 20th, 2006, 07:20 PM   #1
neorion
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

CLASSICAL ADELAIDE, AUSTRALIA

Today was open day at Adelaide University and they opened the usually private, Museum of Classical Studies, for public inspection, so a friend and I took the opportunity to have a look. I took these pics.

The University of Adelaide (colloquially Adelaide Uni) is a public university located in Adelaide. Established in 1874, the university is the third oldest in Australia and, with almost 19,000 students, is the second largest institution in South Australia. The university has a proud tradition in academic excellence, having produced a large number of Nobel laureates and Rhodes scholars, and is a member of the prestigious Group of Eight. It has respected schools in law and medicine. Its main campus is located on the cultural boulevard of North Terrace in the city-centre alongside prominent institutions such as the Art Gallery of South Australia, the South Australian Museum and the State Library of South Australia. The university also has four other capuses throughout the city: Roseworthy College at Roseworthy; Waite Institute at Glen Osmond; Research Park at Thebarton; and, the National Wine Centre in the Adelaide Park Lands. Today there are approximately 19000 students enrolled at the university on four campuses.

The university has produced four Nobel Prize-winners: x-ray pioneers Sir Lawrence and Sir William Bragg, penicillin pioneer Lord Florey and Helicobacter pylori discoverer Robin Warren in addition to 99 Rhodes Scholars; a scholarship offered to Commonwealth citizens to study post-graduate courses at Oxford University in England. JM Coetzee, the acclaimed South African novelist and Nobel Prizewinner for Literature in 2003, has retired to Adelaide and is an Honorary Visiting Research Fellow in the Department of English. Leo Blair (senior) was a law lecturer at the University of Adelaide, he is also the father of British Prime Minister Tony Blair. The most notable alumni of Greek heritage to graduate from the university include federal politician Nick Bolkus and renowned journalist Helen Vatsikopoulos.

The Classics department is one of the original faculties. Much research on Ancient Greece has been undertaken by the school and an average of 200 students enroll in classics every year at the university.

The Classics department's Mitchell building, in a very "unclassical" structure, and one of the original buildings of the university.

The small but interesting museum is located in the basement. It displays many replicas of famous Greek artefacts, a model of Roman Athens, as well as a few original pieces.

Model of ancient Athens

An original Cypriot vase

On the left hand side of the Mitchell building is the very classical Art Gallery of South Australia, which adjoins the South Australian Museum and State Library. Sort of like Adelaide's own "odos panepistimiou".

On the right hand side is more of the university. The chuch-like building towards the centre-left is Elder Conservatorium of Music. Adelaide University was the first university to take on music as an academic discipline and the first university in Australia to accept female students. One of the most noted students from the Conservatorium, is Niki Vasilakis, considered Australia's most outstanding young violinist.

A tour onto part of the university grounds.

University library (older section)

The castle-like building is Bonython Hall, used for ceremonies

North Terrace is where all these cultural institutions are located. There are many more neoclassical buildings on this boulevard, including the magnificent State parliament house. I'll try to post pics some other time.

Across the road from the university on North Terrace, an office building has been turned into the business school, offering MBA's.

After our visit to the university we walked down the road ^ turned left where the white building is and onto Rundle Street for lunch. Rundle Street is sort of like the Plaka or Psirri of Adelaide, but definitely not as well known (naturally, Adelaide isn't Athens) or extensive. Once the old wholesale market area, the street has become very trendy, "the place" to go out. There are lots of cafes, restuarants, bars, pubs and shops.

Many apartments have been built around Rundle Street to supply a growing demand for city living. People are attracted to the "european-style" ambience and bohemian character of the area, although going by the prices, yuppies as opposed to artists can afford to live there now. Greek-Australians are amongst the most active property developers in the city.

Rundle Street character

One of the most popular restaurant's and cafe's is Eros Ouzeri and cafe. These pics do not do it justice though.

Great ceiling in Eros ouzeri

Cafe

You can get an organic yiros on Rundle Street. The Greek-Australian owner is pioneering "fast organic food" in Australia.

Finally, I'll just add a few more pics from my visit to the Maritime Museum in Port Adelaide last week.

The museum is in two converted warehouses

An ancient Greek vase on display at the Maritime Museum

A plaque presented by the Greek consulate to the Maritime Museum after it held an exhibition about "Greeks and the Sea".

Port Adelaide has many beautiful neoclassical buildings and a large Greek community centre. I'll try to cover it some other time.

That's it my friends. All of you provide wonderful pics of Greece and sometimes I wish I could contribute more, but I'm in the antipodes. So I hope you enjoyed a small sample of Adelaide with a Greek theme.

Last edited by neorion; August 22nd, 2006 at 06:19 PM. Reason: remove pic
neorion no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 20th, 2006, 09:30 PM   #2
Byzknight
Human Factors Scientist

Likes (Received): 0

Great pics!

It's funny that the us eastcoasters make so much fun of Adelaide when it's actually a pretty little city. I might have a work opportunity there in the near future, excited to see what adelaide is really like.

Do you know any lively spots that have apartments to rent?

Keep the pics coming....
Byzknight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2006, 01:52 PM   #3
Giorgio

Likes (Received): 355

I cant express how thankful I am that you have displayed our beautiful city in the Agora.
This city is heavily influenced by Greeks in my opinion, there are plenty of Greek resturants around and a large and active Greek Community.

Your images are fantastic and all very familiar.
I havnt visited the museum for a long time and I was surprised to see the Athens Model since I was unaware of its existance.

Relatives from Melbourne just left the other day and they are amazed at how lovely Adelaide is and much to my astonishment, they commented on how much it felt like Greece with the climate and the lifestyle, the cafes and the horio type vibe.

Greeks in Adelaide and Greeks in Australia must be proud.
Old August 21st, 2006, 02:07 PM   #4
neorion
BANNED

Thanks fellas.

@ Byznight, I'll try to post pics of the inner-city and coastal suburbs, which are generally the best locations to rent an apartment.

@ Giorgos, we have an enviable lifestyle and more than people expect. Like the tourism campaign proclaims "Discover the Secrets of South Australia".
Old August 21st, 2006, 02:13 PM   #5
crawf
©

Likes (Received): 162

great shots!!
Old August 21st, 2006, 02:31 PM   #6
crawf
©

the discover the secrets of SA campaign is long gone, with state now having "South Australia - A Brilliant Blend campaign and a new logo

btw heres my thread showcasing our beautiful city and state
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=386809

feel free too add any south australian photos to it...
Old August 21st, 2006, 02:39 PM   #7
neorion
BANNED

Thanks crawf. Your pictures and threads are fantastic.

I'm aware of the new campaign actually, but the old slogan still holds true, as your sig indicates.

I'll post some pics in the South Aussie forum when I get a chance too and feel free to take some of my pics if you like.

mate
Old August 22nd, 2006, 08:37 AM   #8
Rev
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

There used to be a heck of a lot more Greek restraunts around the place, back in the day.
Rev no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2006, 08:58 AM   #9
Giorgio

Likes (Received): 355

Remember the Revolving Greek restaurant at the top of Atlantis Tower?
Old August 23rd, 2006, 08:25 AM   #10
gm2263
The Jedi Will Rise Again

Likes (Received): 608

Congratulations and a million thanks for posting these pictures.
Old August 24th, 2006, 04:10 AM   #11
crawf
©

Quote:
Originally Posted by neorion
Thanks crawf. Your pictures and threads are fantastic.

I'm aware of the new campaign actually, but the old slogan still holds true, as your sig indicates.

I'll post some pics in the South Aussie forum when I get a chance too and feel free to take some of my pics if you like.
thanks, ive used four of your great photos for the opening post
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...9&page=1&pp=20

Old December 23rd, 2006, 05:05 AM   #12
Kaiser
Herr

Likes (Received): 16

Spectacular pics!

really love them! thnks
Old December 23rd, 2006, 08:40 PM   #13
Raleigh-NC

Likes (Received): 1

Excellent photos, and VERY nice buildings, too

Visit this thread on my hometown (Kalamata, Greece) and this one, too.

The right decision
Raleigh-NC no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: