daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Euroscrapers > Local discussions > Hellenic Architecture Agora > Φωτογραφίες και Πολιτισμός | Photography and Culture > Φωτογραφίες Ελλάδος και Κύπρου | Photos of Greece & Cyprus

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 49 votes, 5.00 average.
Old January 9th, 2005, 12:50 AM   #1
zafiris

Likes (Received): 0

Παλιές Φωτογραφίες Αθηνών | Photos of old Athens

http://www.athensguide.com/oldcity

zafiris no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old January 9th, 2005, 04:30 AM   #2
Kuvvaci
Strange User

Likes (Received): 52

these are wonderful pictures. I really liked to see the old picture of this city. Please send as much as you can find such old pictures and photos.
Kuvvaci no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2005, 10:55 AM   #3
Tekir
Ben senin baba yarinim

People like those who can not think more than sexual insults came to this beautiful city from their mountains, this beautiful city became one ugly city.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=162295

We have the same problem, I am not bashing Greece only do not worry.

I REALLY WONDER, WHY PEOPLE DO NOT SHOW THE PICTURES OF OLD PARIS, LONDON, FLORANCE AND SAY IT WAS ONCE MUCH MORE BEAUTIFUL? WHY ARE THOSE CITIES BECOMING MORE AND MORE BEAUTIFUL AS TIME GOES BY?

It is the answer, the people coming from the mountains.
Tekir no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2005, 10:57 AM   #4
gm2263
The Jedi Will Rise Again

Likes (Received): 748

Guys. I have a couple of books with old pictures like the above, the point is that if I post them here, the Greek forumers will suffer from severe depression. I mean we spent gazillions of Euros to restore the coastal front of Athens and if you see the villas and houses in the area before the 1960's you will go bananas...

What can I say, these are wonderful pictures of an era that's gone unfortunately forever...
Old January 9th, 2005, 11:36 AM   #5
gm2263
The Jedi Will Rise Again

@ Tekir

Unfortunately, you are touching upon a big issue that it if we are to talk about, we will lose this beautiful Sunday morning. On the whole you are correct. It is no wonder that football fans are overnationalist fanatics and the way they express their "love" for their country is the same with the animal rage that they display when it comes to supporting their notion of "homeland".

I feel ashamed as to the profanities that are part of the content of one of the links and I feel the need to apologise as a Greek and as a human being for what is being displayed there.

But let's not ruin Zafiri's Thread. True, the link about Old Athens has a number of pictures, most of them from a book that I have and if I find the time and energy I will post some of them. Until then, follow the link and enjoy, it's really nice to see them here

Last edited by gm2263; January 9th, 2005 at 11:47 AM.
gm2263 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2005, 01:10 PM   #6
Carpe diem

Wow, look at omonia square!

Is syntagma square calatrava-prophetic?
Fantastic pictures!!
Carpe diem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2005, 03:48 PM   #7
zafiris

I would prefer if Tekir stop his ill-intended comments and find another forum. Here I post photos that is all.
Old January 9th, 2005, 04:14 PM   #8
gm2263
The Jedi Will Rise Again

Ehm... Looks like our sources are the same in this case with the guy that initially posted the above pics that Zafiris has shown us. The book is:Athens from Postcards of the Past - Editions Sideris, 2001 - (Η Αθήνα μέσα από κάρτ-ποστάλ του παρελθόντος, Eκδόσεις Σιδέρης 2001). Anyway, here's some more from this book and prepare for the mega-bomb:

The building below was the famous hotel "Aktaion" ("Coastal" Hotel) located in Neon Phaleron, somewhere between the Karaiskakis and Peace and Friendship stadiums, where the big junction of Posseidonos and Kifissos Avenues is located. It was demolished, I repeat, this jewel was demolished, some time in the early 20th Century.

Next is the coast of Neon Phaleron with the hotel in the background, in the beginning of the 20th century. The Quay in the middle was used to separate men from women while they were swimming. What the French call "Bains Mixes" was introduced there later than the time the above pictures were taken. I know because I had some first hand informati0on from my grandfather who used to go there and occasionally break the aforementioned rule , despite the presence of a coast guard who was responsible to keep males and females apart - We're talking some time in the 1920's. Also, on many occasions the quay was used by Orchestras who were performing in public on various occasions.

Today this spot is one of the busiest in the Athens-Pireaus Area since it hosts a gigantic junction with three Avenues converging there, tram and metro stations and two stadiums, one openair and one indoor. Certainly it is one of the most modern spots of the city but on the other hand I wonder if Tekir is right...

... I mean, who, in a sane state of mind would allow the demoolition of a jewel like the hotel "Aktaion"???

Pity...
Old January 9th, 2005, 06:04 PM   #9
WrightCup
Registration Used

Paidia sugxarhthria gia to thread!

Lupamai omws gia auta pou blepw se alla threads mas.
WrightCup no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2005, 06:14 PM   #10
zafiris

Αυτή η άποψη είναι από την θάλασσα.
Old January 9th, 2005, 07:23 PM   #11
Christos7

Boy at times it almost makes you want to cry what has happened to Athens..... I mean it is nice now, but think of what the city could have been if these things were preserved! I have seen alot of pictures like these, it was a beautiful city...

I mean some of the buildings like that are still around, but they just go lost in between all the concrete! And ofcourse the Plaka..... but so much of this city problem was overpopulation.
"Men of Athens... Had I not greatly at heart the common welfare of Hellas I should not have come to tell you; but I am myself Hellene by descent, and I would not willingly see Hellas exchange freedom for slavery..." - Alexander I of Macedonia

(Herodotos, 9.45)

Last edited by Christos7; January 9th, 2005 at 07:33 PM.
Christos7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2005, 10:33 PM   #12
Tekir
Ben senin baba yarinim

Quote:
Originally Posted by zafiris
I would prefer if Tekir stop his ill-intended comments and find another forum. Here I post photos that is all.
Why? Truth hurts. I do not bash Greece mate, do not get me wrong, I love Greece. You have the best beaches, best architecture.

I am bashing the people who have destoyed Greek cities, like I bash the people who have destroyed Turkish cities.

We have an old saying. The man who speaks the truth is banished from 9 villages.

Last edited by Tekir; January 9th, 2005 at 11:08 PM.
Old January 9th, 2005, 11:08 PM   #13
zafiris

Τελικά αυτός ο μαλάκας παριστάνει τον ευγενικό και ωραίο και θυμάμαι παλιότερα που τελικά κατέληξε ότι η θεσσαλονίκη έπρεπε να είναι Τουρκική. Δεν θέλω να ασχολούμαι με τον ηλίθιο για μου χαλάει την διάθεση.

Λοιπόν μία και το thread είναι ωραίο πρέπει να πω ότι η Αθήνα θα αλλάξει και πάλι στο μέλλον. Και θα είναι 100 φορές καλύτερη απο ότι τώρα.

Old January 10th, 2005, 12:23 AM   #14
Carpe diem

Re paidia ti diamanti itan auto to aktaion??
Old January 10th, 2005, 09:45 AM   #15
gm2263
The Jedi Will Rise Again

Παιδιά να σας χαλάσω κι' άλλο; Εκεί που είναι τώρα η πλατεία Δημαρχίου (πλατεία Κοτζιά ), ήταν ένα άλλο κόσμημα, το Δημοτικό Θέατρο τού οπoίου η αρχιτεκτονική έμοιαζε με την όπερα της Βιέννης και το οπoίο επίσης κατεδαφίστηκε. Αν βρώ καιρό θα σας βάλω και φωτό.

Για να μη μιλήσουμε για τα νεοκλασσικά της Κυψέλης που γκρεμίστηκαν σχεδόν όλα τις δεκαετίες του 50-70 στα πλαίσια αυτου που τότε ονόμαζαν "Οικοδομικό οργασμό" ...

Τι να λέμε τώρα...
Old January 10th, 2005, 12:02 PM   #16
gm2263
The Jedi Will Rise Again

Συνέχεια της Εκπομπής: "Χαλάστε μαζί μας" με τον

OK, this is in English so that everybody can understand what's about...

This is the old Municipal Theatre (Δημοτικό Θέατρο ), originally located in Kotzias Square (Πλατεία Κοτζιά ) some 150m from Omonia Square, which is the equivalent of "Times Square" in NY for Athens... Demolished in the late 20's or early 30's or something...

See for yourselves and weep:

-The Municipal Theatre on Kotzias square (back then it was called "Ludwig's"Square, Πλατεία Λουδοβίκου. Kotzias beecame a mayor of Athens much later, during the 50's I think)

And the Ludwig's Square as it was in the early 20th century.

Και άμα δε φταχτήκατε καλά έχω και άλλα τέτοια ...
Old January 10th, 2005, 12:25 PM   #17
Carpe diem

Aman! Pantos to aktaion einai pio entyposiako pisteuo kai exei pio "vienneziki" arxitektoniki alla re gm2263 vale kammia fotografia apo otan itan o lykavittos ena kserovouni na erthei h kardia mas sta isia tis
Old January 10th, 2005, 02:49 PM   #18
zafiris

Pos katastrafikan auta ta ktiria?
Old January 13th, 2005, 08:19 AM   #19
Tekir
Ben senin baba yarinim

What does that mean, Carpe Diem?

Aman!

Is that what I think, which is like "be careful"?
Old January 13th, 2005, 10:19 AM   #20
gm2263
The Jedi Will Rise Again

Aman is an exclamation probably of Turkish origin denoting emotional pain. I mean, it's easy to cry at the loss of such jewels.

Now, as to why and how these buildings were demolished, there have been times when their demolition was a sign of "modernism" or even an answer to the needs of the many people that were coming to Athens in various occasions. The first big wave was immediately after the "catastrophy", i.e. the events of 1922, the other after WWII where people were coming to Athens to find a better luck... In any case the result was the same, and has been further aggravated since this internal population movement was continued until the 1970's. This resulted for the population of Athens Metro Area to increase from a mere 1 million in the 1950's to something like close to 5 million as at now...

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: