SkyscraperCity Forum banner

RHINE-RUHR | Public Transport

141K views 263 replies 69 participants last post by  Traveller Raphaël 
#1 ·
Oberhausen tram in Germany

One of the smartest things ever constructed. But here in a village? Or is Oberhausen a town? I dont know. Have been there, but havent really seen much. Well, this is a tram and bus station. Its going on a huge bridge over the town.

Some of the parts is a bit underground, but totally seperated from the other traffic. Pretty cool :)

Here a small picture, showing from inside of the bus towards a tram on the bridge. Here the bus can go towards the town or strait forward.

The blue bridge is where the tram and bus share tracks.

Does someone have some more of this interesting place? Is Oberhausen a city, town or a village? And how manye people lives there? It seemed to me its connected with other small villages or cities.

But for the final comment. This tram system, is a system that other small places, should learn from.

Regards,
Michal

See less See more
#226 ·
#227 ·
From Railway Gazette:

http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/...elected-to-supply-rhein-ruhr-s-bahn-emus.html

Stadler selected to supply Rhein-Ruhr S-Bahn EMUs
18 Mar 2016

GERMANY: Rhein-Ruhr transport authority VRR announced on March 17 that it had selected Stadler Pankow to supply 41 electric multiple-units and maintain them for 30 years.

Stadler beat three other bidders to be named preferred bidder, and is expected to sign the contract following the customary 10-day standstill period

#228 ·
Some recent Dortmund videos from Timosha21

H-bahn: The Hanging Railway in Dortmund, Germany 2016

Stadtbahn in Dortmund 2016 - Trams of Dortmund, Germany (U43, U44)

U-bahn of Dortmund, Germany - Lightrail of Dortmund

#230 ·
From Metro Report

http://www.metro-report.com/news/ne...ruhr-express-depot-construction-launched.html

Rhein-Ruhr-Express depot construction launched
07 Mar 2017

GERMANY: The foundation stone for the Rhein-Ruhr-Express maintenance depot was laid in Dortmund-Eving on March 7. Siemens is building the 70 000 m2 facility on the site of a former marshalling yard on the Dortmund – Lünen main line.

A 163 m long, 63 m wide and 12·4 m high six-track maintenance hall is being built, along with a warehouse, administrative and staff welfare building and an outdoor train cleaning facility. There will be around 5·5 km of track in total, as well as an underfloor wheel lathe and wheelset diagnostics system. According to Siemens, the facility will use around 15% less energy than the recommended standard set by the European Energy Saving Ordinance

#231 ·
I'm investigating the Tram Depots of Western Europe, and I'm now looking at Duisburg.
According to my research, the Duisburg system has 2 depots...
1) GRUNEWALD - in the south, on the east side of Dusseldorfer Strasse,
2) MULHEIM - on the west side of AN DER WERKSTATTE.
In looking for more depots, I found 2 other tram-stops in Duisburg with the word BETRIEBSHOF as part of the name. I understand that Betriebshof is the German word for Depot, so were there more depots that were closed, but the tram-stop was no re-named?
I couldn't find a thread dedicated to Duisburg, but I believe it is part of the Rhine-Ruhr area. What other tram systems are considered as part of the Rhine-Ruhr area?

Thanks in advance

#232 ·
I couldn't find a thread dedicated to Duisburg, but I believe it is part of the Rhine-Ruhr area. What other tram systems are considered as part of the Rhine-Ruhr area?

Thanks in advance
In Rhine-Ruhr area, there are tram systems in Düsseldorf, Duisburg, Essen, Mülheim, Bochum - Herne - Gelsenkirchen and Dortmund. Wuppertal is also part of that area, but it doesn't have tramway system, of course

#233 ·
Krefeld also has a tram network. Rhine-Ruhr is sometimes also meant to include the Cologne-Bonn agglomeration that is directly adjacent to the south. Two separate S-Bahn lines connect Duesseldorf and Cologne. Altogether Rhine-Ruhr consists of twenty big cities of more than 100.000 inhabitants each and numerous smaller ones. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhine-Ruhr

#236 ·
It hasn't been posted here before:
HeiterBlick and Kiepe Electric will supply 24 (with option for additional 2) "Vamos HF" trams to Dortmund, which will be bidirectional and have two-section. Also 64 older trams of types 80C/6 and B80C/8 will be modernized. All this has to be completed until 2028.

Image: HeiterBlick

#238 ·
The Guinness book of records 1992 stated that the world's longest tram ride was between Krefeld St.Tönis and Witten Annen Nord, 105,5 km. There are a few wrong things about that:
  • It is not possible to go to Witten-Annen Nord by tram (it is possible to go to Witten however)
  • There is no Krefeld St.Tönis: St.Tönis is in the "gemeinde" of Tönisvorst, not of Krefeld
  • The stretches between Krefeld and Düsseldorf and between Düsseldorf and Duisburg are part of the Stadtbahn Düsseldorf, which has a different classification from a tram

The German Wikipedia page about Tönisvorst contains more correct information. It only lists the ride as Germany's longest, not the world's.

Anyway I tried my luck and saw if it was possible. I took:
  • SWK tram 041 from Tönisvorst Wilhelmplatz to Krefeld Rheinstraße
  • Stadtbahn Düsseldorf U76 from Krefeld Rheinstraße to Düsseldorf Heinrich-Heine-Allee
  • Stadtbahn Düsseldorf U79 from Düsseldorf Heinrich-Heine-Allee to Duisburg Hbf
  • DVG tram 901 from Duisburg Hbf to Mülhem Stadtmitte (underground)
  • Ruhrbahn tram 104 from Mülhem Stadtmitte (above ground) to Abzweig Aktienstraße in the city of Essen
  • Tram 105 was not riding because of works, so I walked to Heißener Straße, where a replacement bus suddenly manifested itself
  • At Kronenberg, the replacement bus stopped and let all the passengers alight, because the tram had resumed service, so I boarded the tram to Essen Rathaus
  • BOGESTRA tram 107 from Essen Rathaus to Gelsenkirchen Heinrich-König-Platz (I intended to get of one stop earlier, at Musiktheater, but the tram did not stop there, apparently because of road works)
  • BOGESTRA tram 302 from Gelsenkirchen Heinrich-König-Platz to Bochum Unterstraße
  • BOGESTRA tram 310 from Bochum Unterstraße to Witten Bahnhofstraße

It took 6h40. Overall, a failure: part of the route was made by bus, and I did not make all the way to Witten Heven-Dorf. But a fun experience.

#239 ·
There's a similar urban rail tour through the entire Rhine-Ruhr-Cologne-Bonn region described on this page ("Self-Guided Tour"). It's focused on urban rail sightseeing rather than going in one direction, though, so one day is probably not enough to ride it. It includes the most interesting station architecture and the three monorail lines of the region.

#247 ·
Yes. Although technically the Wuppertal suspension railway could be classified as a metro Most of the cities of the Ruhr are relatively small individually, so they have light rail for local transport and heavy mainline rail for longer journeys. All of them have quite substantial tunnel segments in the city center, though.

#250 ·
Düsseldorf and Wuppertal are not included in the original Ruhr urban area, but they are in the same area for their public transport. They are part of the Verkehrsverbund Rhein-Ruhr.

If you count both cities in the same urban area and you do the same for other cities and villages, you could create a very big urban area. There are many cities and villages in the West of Germany, Belgium, the Netherlands, and the North of France very close to each other. This could be a metropolitan area from more than 40 million people!

#254 ·
The tunnels in the Rhine Ruhr area were never planned for a real metro but for the existing light rail lines with high floor tram vehicles, calling Stadtbahn in German. There were plans to create a very big network, but this is only partly realized. Only the whole tram network in Dortmund has been upgraded to those Stadtbahn standards.

#255 ·