daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Asian Skyscraper Forums > East Asia > Hong Kong (香港) & Macau (澳門) Forums > Infrastructure & Transportation

Old November 29th, 2004, 04:15 AM   #1
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 5063

Rail Line for the Delta Bridge Too Costly

Rail line for the delta bridge is too costly, says minister
Jimmy Cheung
29 November 2004
South China Morning Post

The proposed bridge linking Hong Kong with Macau and Zhuhai will not incorporate a rail line after studies found it would cost too much, the central government minister responsible for the project has revealed.

The authorities also do not favour the so-called double-Y design, which would branch out to Shenzhen, despite calls from city officials there for such a link to boost its economic development.

"[We] have fully considered the interests of all the cities, in particular Hong Kong," said Minister of Communications Zhang Chunxian .

Mr Zhang's comments appear to lay to rest speculation of a possible Shenzhen link and rail track. They came after Chen Shanru , director-general of the Development and Reform Commission said in June that none of the three proposals being considered for the bridge included a landing point in Shenzhen.

Officials will discuss details next month and the State Council is then expected to take six months to scrutinise the project. Construction would take four years, which means the 28km bridge spanning the Pearl River Delta would not be ready until mid-2009.

The idea of a bridge was first floated in the mid-1980s as a way to boost the economy in the region. But serious studies began only last year after high-profile lobbying by Hopewell Holdings chief Sir Gordon Wu Ying-sheung to invest in the $15 billion project.

The venture soon drew heated debate on whether to include a railway track and to link neighbouring cities like Shenzhen and Guangzhou for greater economic benefits.

Mr Zhang said mainland authorities had finished feasibility studies this month which showed a rail line would not be cost-effective.

"We have to provide more land for rail and road traffic and consider issues like whether it's a double-deck or other design. After comparison, we found that if a railway were to be included, the cost would be very high," he said.

On the much-touted double-Y proposal, Mr Zhang confirmed that the bridge would probably not reach Shenzhen.

"From the beginning, there were different proposals. But when a choice has to be made, the authorities have to take into account the development of the relevant region," he said.

It is still uncertain if the design details follow the proposals made by Sir Gordon. He could not be reached for comment yesterday.

Anthony Wong Fu-wah, vice-chairman of the Hong Kong Logistics Association, said inclusion of a railway might delay construction.

"We are now talking about speed, adaptability and smaller freight," he said.

Even though a railway helps our operation, the present situation is not like that."

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg | Moscow | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Sydney | Hanoi | Bangkok | Prague

New York, London, Seoul, Taipei, Mumbai, Tokyo, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old January 11th, 2005, 11:49 PM   #2
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Hong Kong-Macau-Zhuhai Mega-Bridge Project

San Shek Wan top choice for mega bridge's landing point
Dennis Chong, Hong Kong Standard
January 12, 2005

Map

San Shek Wan on Lantau Island is the best starting point for a proposed bridge linking Hong Kong with Zhuhai and Macau, Chief Secretary for Administration Donald Tsang said.

"Our feasibility study shows that San Shek Wan is the only place in terms of environmental protection and economic effectiveness," Tsang said.

"It is also compatible with the long-term development of Hong Kong," he said, adding that the final route and the landing points in Hong Kong, Macau and Zhuhai for the bridge - which is expected to cost around HK$15 billion by the time it is finished - have yet to be decided.

San Shek Wan lies immediately south of Hong Kong International Airport.

Tsang was speaking after the fourth Working Meeting of Hong Kong and Guangdong Cooperation Joint Conference in Guangzhou.

Tang Bingquan, executive vice-governor of Guangdong province who co-chaired the meeting with Tsang, said there were several construction issues that needed resolving.

"One major concern is the environment with many people expressing concern about the Chinese white dolphin which lives in these waters," he said.

Green groups have criticised the government for not allocating funds to research the impact of the bridge on the endangered dolphins.

Tang said a committee set up to plan the bridge has shortlisted two routes but he refused to reveal further details, adding that a final decision will be made soon. The super bridge is expected to handle about 20,000 vehicles each day and will be the fifth cross-boundary link between the mainland and the SAR once it is built.

About 12 kilometers of the bridge will be in Hong Kong waters.

This section will connect to the 30-kilometer portion in mainland waters across the mouth of the Pearl River from Macau and Zhuhai.

Hopewell Holdings chairman Gordon Wu, one of the strongest supporters of the proposal, said earlier the bridge is likely to be completed by 2008.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg | Moscow | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Sydney | Hanoi | Bangkok | Prague

New York, London, Seoul, Taipei, Mumbai, Tokyo, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, and much more!
Old January 12th, 2005, 06:06 AM   #3
Qwertyuiop

Likes (Received):

I think I've seen renderings for the bridge, but I don't remember where...

And I think in the renderings, the bridge is going to be made up of mostly dull causeway spans. Kinda disappointing, I say if you're going to build a bridge that long, design something resembling the Gibraltar Strait Bridge or bury the bloody thing in a tunnel!

Old January 12th, 2005, 09:18 PM   #4
Insane alex
Stockholm rules!

Likes (Received): 10

Very cool Hkskyline!

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=449245
Countries i've been to: Australia, Austria, Canada, Brazil, China, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Lichtenstein, Germany, The Netherlands, Latvia, Italy, UK, USA, Norway, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Hungary, Slovakia, Slovenia, Hong Kong.
Insane alex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2005, 09:07 AM   #5
metallinestorm

Likes (Received): 1

a very big bridge
metallinestorm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2005, 10:13 AM   #6
scorpion
...starwood... :-D

Likes (Received): 4

this project holds great potential long-term for pearl river delta further unification...

scorpion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2005, 05:48 PM   #7
hkskyline
Hong Kong

The bridge does a lot for all the cities involved. For Macau, it provides a new source for tourists and encourage regional tourism. Visitors to Hong Kong can easily take a bus to Macau for some gambling. For Hong Kong, Macau's airport will become a major competitor, but at the same time, goods from the western Pearl River Delta (ie. Zhuhai and beyond) can now easily reach Hong Kong for export, benefiting the container port.

Old January 13th, 2005, 07:41 PM   #8
Insane alex
Stockholm rules!

Likes (Received): 10

Do you have renders of this bridge project?

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=449245
Countries i've been to: Australia, Austria, Canada, Brazil, China, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Lichtenstein, Germany, The Netherlands, Latvia, Italy, UK, USA, Norway, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Hungary, Slovakia, Slovenia, Hong Kong.
Insane alex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2005, 10:42 AM   #9
philip
The Picture Guy

Likes (Received): 33

Well, this is going to be one "HUGE" bridge !
Old January 21st, 2005, 10:49 AM   #10
hktreasure

anybody have more pics? It is useful for my project~^_<
hktreasure no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2005, 02:39 PM   #11
bs_lover_boy
POUND THE ALARM!!!

Likes (Received): 8

The only renders that I saw were on the TVB news and It was like a causeway, which I detest so much. I rather have them build a Gibraltar Bridge there.
LULU – Locally Unwanted Land Use.
NOPE – Not On Planet Earth
BANANA – Build Absolutely Nothing Anywhere Near Anything

Anymore????
bs_lover_boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2005, 01:02 PM   #12
Aboveday

Aboveday no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2005, 07:53 PM   #13
xePh3roK
Hong Kong / 香港

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline
Hopewell Holdings chairman Gordon Wu, one of the strongest supporters of the proposal, said earlier the bridge is likely to be completed by 2008.
Is this a joke?
that would be impossible by 2008!!
maybe in 2020

How they want to build about 40-50x 800m high towers for the mega bridge?
From where i've the information?
A good friend of me is an Architecture and interessted on bridges and he tolt me some details about it.

And from where do they want to get the steels for the mega bridge?
xePh3roK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2005, 06:32 AM   #14
Qwertyuiop

Likes (Received):

Renderings!!!

Here's a rendering taken from Time Magazine www.time.com

And these are taken from www.saveourshoreline.com

The website itself also has a bunch of articles pertaining to the bridge (looks like they're all from 2003 though):

http://www.saveourshorelines.bizland.com/project03.html

Enjoy!
Old January 27th, 2005, 08:48 AM   #15
scorpion
...starwood... :-D

interesting to note where the main navigation channel(s) are for the PRD...
scorpion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2005, 11:52 AM   #16
bs_lover_boy
POUND THE ALARM!!!

I don't like that design because it will just be a causeway and look ugly

Anymore????
Old January 27th, 2005, 04:06 PM   #17
Syd-Hk
What Title?

its in a tpyoon area, it better be well designed or else...
Syd-Hk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2005, 05:53 PM   #18
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Open tender best option for bridge project
Chloe Lai and Quinton Chan
03 February 2005
South China Morning Post

An open tender would be the best and fairest way to determine the most qualified contractor for the proposed bridge linking Hong Kong, Zhuhai and Macau, according to Hopewell chairman Sir Gordon Wu Ying-sheung, one of the project's foremost advocates.

He said the tender process would be fair as it involves three governments.

"It will be difficult for anyone to manipulate a process which involves three governments. If I lose, it must be because they get someone smarter than me. If that is the case, I have no hard feelings," he said.

Sir Gordon has been advocating the bridge since the late 1990s. He believes he will win the contract because of his knowledge of highway bridge construction and operation.

He said that some engineers from the National Development and Reform Commission visited him last week to seek his views on the bridge and he told them that an open tender had to be conducted.

He is in favour of a single Y-shaped bridge built between Hong Kong, Zhuhai and Macau.

He said the bridge's Hong Kong entrance would be at San Shek Wan on Lantau and its Zhuhai entrance would be near the Gongbei checkpoint. Its Macau entrance would be at Perola on the northeast side of the Macau peninsula.

In July 2003, Premier Wen Jiabao gave his backing to a bridge between Hong Kong and the west side of the Pearl River Delta.

Sir Gordon estimates the State Council will approve the project to start in six months, with completion in 2009 to mark Macau's 10th handover anniversary.

Under his proposal, only one checkpoint would be needed for cross-border drivers. All immigration officers would be based there together.

He also proposes to turn part of the bridge into a tunnel so it will be safe from typhoons and terrorist attacks.

"With the bridge and the existing roads in Guangxi , it will take just eight hours for Hong Kong people to reach Vietnam by car," Sir Gordon said.

Old February 4th, 2005, 10:44 AM   #19
bs_lover_boy
POUND THE ALARM!!!

^ Only 8 hours to go to Vietnam!!!! That's Amazing, so does it mean that a person from HK can drive like around 10 Hours to go to Hanoi?

Anymore????
Old February 4th, 2005, 11:37 AM   #20
philip
The Picture Guy

Likes (Received): 33

I have a question. Do people in Macau or Zhuhai drive on the left? Right now most cars from Hong Kong cannot drive past the city of Shenzhen because Hong Kong drive on the left and China drive on the right. So in the city of Shenzhen you can actualy see two types of cars and sometimes it is quite confusing. I wonder if the same thing will happen to Macau?