daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas > Completed

Old March 28th, 2008, 04:40 PM   #1
bixa louca

Likes (Received): 0

WASHINGTON, D.C. - Nationals Park (41,418)

MLB

Washington Nationals

Almost done!

Cherry Blossoms being planted inside the stadium!

For all the Before and After pictures click on this link:

http://www.jdland.com/dc/stadium.cfm?tab=no2

What a beautiful ballpark! I can't wait to go catch a game.

Last edited by www.sercan.de; October 5th, 2012 at 11:35 AM.
bixa louca no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old March 28th, 2008, 05:32 PM   #2
nyrmetros

There's like the 3 other threads on this project already.
nyrmetros no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 05:36 PM   #3
ASupertall4SD

I looked over the stadium the other day and love the exterior design of the park. it is modern, turning a deaf ear to the brick and "retro" look of the 90's stadiums. That is a great thing. My problem with the stadium is this.

1. There is nothing special on the interior of the stadium. Looking out from the stands, the outfield is blah, beyond the outfield is boring. There isnt really a distinct character to anything visually.

2. Using San Diego PETCO Park as an example. The team colors for the Nationals are blue, white, and red. There should not be elements of green in this stadium. Ditch the green walls, and go for dark blue as the Padres did with PETCO. Initially, Petco Park had green outfield walls, green batters eye. The team colors are sand, white, and dark blue. The seats are blue. Having a green wall kills it for me. It looks hideous. Switch all the greens to blue in this new stadium, and the Nationals Park will be much improved.
ASupertall4SD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 07:17 PM   #4
bixa louca

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmetros View Post
There's like the 3 other threads on this project already.
So? Go call a waaaambulance.
Old March 28th, 2008, 07:30 PM   #5
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 474

So this is what $600M in taxpayer dollars gets them, eh? Yes, baseball belongs in DC, but MLB should be stripped of its anti-trust protection and by no means should the public have to pay for these things 100%. For that reason I'm hoping the franchise is doomed to eternal failure.

Okay, rant over.
Old March 28th, 2008, 08:20 PM   #6
bixa louca

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerJacket View Post
So this is what $600M in taxpayer dollars gets them, eh? Yes, baseball belongs in DC, but MLB should be stripped of its anti-trust protection and by no means should the public have to pay for these things 100%. For that reason I'm hoping the franchise is doomed to eternal failure.

Okay, rant over.
Totally agree. Apparently that money is going to build a shopping district, office park, and a few other things.

Meh.
Old March 28th, 2008, 08:21 PM   #7
Mr. Fusion
Just A Pilot... :-)

Likes (Received): 7

I hate to say it but it looks like a very cold and uninviting ballpark [I guess that's what they were going for with "modern."] And the red suites up high behind home plate look very out of place.

Mr. Fusion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2008, 01:03 AM   #8
BobDaBuilder

Likes (Received): 1

Why even bother having a roof that tiny?
BobDaBuilder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2008, 02:03 AM   #9
Benn

Likes (Received): 57

Its more of an aesthetic, just about every MLB ballpark (w/out a retractable roof) has a small roof or canopy around the back edge, as sort of an implied enclosure device, and for traditions sake (almost all of the early ballparks had roofs over the stands).

I would also like to say that is the worst placed press box I have ever seen, those would be pretty good seats, and really breaks apart the upper level too much. with two suite levels between the club and upper decks you'd think they could have gotten it in there, and the red front is just terrible.

Somehow the Twins are getting a much more unique (and in my mind much more elegant, and warm) ballpark with a multimodal rail station, tone facade and very cool canopy in downtown for $65 million less. And the Rays have that very unique ballpark proposed that would be $100 million cheaper (although somewhat smaller), and have slick retractable canopy. Seems to me like DC got ripped off a little bit.
Benn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2008, 02:17 AM   #10
NovaWolverine

Likes (Received): 3

This stadium has a metro station right next to it, and it has a lot of new mixed-use development going up. DC doesn't need a stadium to draw people downtown, so I'm happy they picked a waterfront location in a less developed area.

But I completely agree about the public funds.
NovaWolverine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2008, 08:28 PM   #11
nyrmetros

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerJacket View Post

Okay, rant over.
agreed.
nyrmetros no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2008, 11:34 PM   #12
th0m
oemoemenemoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASupertall4SD View Post
I looked over the stadium the other day and love the exterior design of the park. it is modern, turning a deaf ear to the brick and "retro" look of the 90's stadiums. That is a great thing. My problem with the stadium is this.

1. There is nothing special on the interior of the stadium. Looking out from the stands, the outfield is blah, beyond the outfield is boring. There isnt really a distinct character to anything visually.

2. Using San Diego PETCO Park as an example. The team colors for the Nationals are blue, white, and red. There should not be elements of green in this stadium. Ditch the green walls, and go for dark blue as the Padres did with PETCO. Initially, Petco Park had green outfield walls, green batters eye. The team colors are sand, white, and dark blue. The seats are blue. Having a green wall kills it for me. It looks hideous. Switch all the greens to blue in this new stadium, and the Nationals Park will be much improved.
While they're at it, they should also smurf-turf the field to get of all green elements completely

ORANJE

www.pbase.com/th0m for photo's
th0m no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2008, 11:55 PM   #13
brightside.
Honorary Scouser

Likes (Received): 7497

It's a good looking stadium, but I can't believe it was funded by tax payer money.

twitter
brightside. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2008, 07:15 PM   #14
krudmonk
sucks

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightside. View Post
It's a good looking stadium, but I can't believe it was funded by tax payer money.
At the same time, they forbid DC United to build anywhere with their own money. What a joke.
krudmonk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2008, 07:30 PM   #15
wearethefuture

Likes (Received): 18

Saw this on the telly last night. The stadium was christened with an introduction of George Bush i believe, seemed like there was lots of booing, but there was still some cheering, shame on those who cheered.
wearethefuture no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2008, 07:45 PM   #16
Scba

Likes (Received): 567

In baseball, you cheer everyone who comes out onto the field to sing/throw a pitch/announce. But given that it was in DC, I'm surprised there wasn't more booing.

Forgot that he used to own a large part of the Texas Rangers.
Scba no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2008, 08:42 PM   #17
wearethefuture

Likes (Received): 18

Oh rite, i thought the booing was to do with illegal wars, 9/11 etc. Didn't think about the fact of his ex-ownership of another MLB team.
wearethefuture no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2008, 08:52 PM   #18
Gaeus
500-Internal Server Error

Likes (Received): 64

I don't like the Stadium at all. It looks like any other stadium and boring. What is worst is WE, THE TAXPAYERS, ARE ALL PAYING FOR IT!!! Jeez! How about if you use that money for the Dulles Metro instead! Now! that is way much better.
Gaeus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 03:16 AM   #19
Dallasbrink
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wearethefuture View Post
Saw this on the telly last night. The stadium was christened with an introduction of George Bush i believe, seemed like there was lots of booing, but there was still some cheering, shame on those who cheered.
Illegal wars? Our congress has approved all of it so far buddy. And shame on you to criticizing those who cheered, anyone can cheer for who they want to cheer for, or would you rather us be like China and only cheer for who the government tells us to cheer for?

Beautiful Stadium by the way.
Dallasbrink no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 04:03 AM   #20
miguelon

Likes (Received): 63

whats with the huge gaps between decks, specially in the upper deck,, i mean they are athmosphere killers, and the press box, with the red color is way so out of place, and/or way to big
miguelon no está en línea   Reply With Quote