daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Skyscrapers & local issues > Projects, Construction, Skyscrapers & Statistics > KiwiScrapers > Christchurch

View Poll Results: Should the Transport Interchange be...
Underground 13 81.25%
Overground 3 18.75%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 30th, 2010, 02:41 PM   #1
Davee
A Christchurch Son

Likes (Received): 11

CHC TRANSPORT INTERCHANGE

A new thread for this upcoming major project.

What should it be?

Overground or Underground?

Buses only or provision for Light Rail also?

"Fide Condita, Fructu Beata, Spe Fortis"
"Founded in Faith, Rich in the Fruits of the Earth and Her Industry, Bold is Her Claim on the Future"

The Garden City
Davee no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 30th, 2010, 02:44 PM   #2
Davee
A Christchurch Son

Check this new extended W&M video out........there is more to it than the first one we seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzZD4...eature=related

"Founded in Faith, Rich in the Fruits of the Earth and Her Industry, Bold is Her Claim on the Future"

The Garden City
Old August 30th, 2010, 02:45 PM   #3
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 1094

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davee View Post
A new thread for this upcoming major project.

What should it be?

Overground or Underground?

Buses only or provision for Light Rail also?
Overground for diesel buses - check out how obnoxious the Queen Street bus interchange in Brisbane is and they're mostly CNG buses too.

Definitely leave provision for light rail though - the light rail can be underground.
Old August 30th, 2010, 02:57 PM   #4
Davee
A Christchurch Son

Interesting - when I was in Helskini last year, their magnificent underground bus interchange was fume free and really fresh. The bus we caught was a normal diesal I think, I'm not 100% sure.

What really struck me though was the good use of space both on top and underground which really helped with the CBD landscape and traffic.

The Garden City
Old August 30th, 2010, 03:08 PM   #5
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden

Quote:
Interesting - when I was in Helskini last year, their magnificent underground bus interchange was fume free and really fresh. The bus we caught was a normal diesal I think, I'm not 100% sure.

What really struck me though was the good use of space both on top and underground which really helped with the CBD landscape and traffic.
That's really interesting about Helsinki. I wonder how they managed to exhaust the fumes from the bus interchange as Kamppi is incredibly busy.

I know a couple of other international examples of buses being used in tunnels, however, the Silver line in Boston for example uses duel-power buses which run off electricity in the underground segments, much in the same way as the O-bahn used to in Essen to avoid generating diesel fumes underground.

Scientifically speaking, the idea of having people walk out into an area where diesel buses idle with their engines running would not be my personal preference due to the highly harmful particulate matter that diesel engines produce.
Old August 30th, 2010, 05:59 PM   #6
Davee
A Christchurch Son

Svarty, you are now forcing me to put some pictures up.........photobucket, hear I come....hopefully these pictures might help

The Garden City
Old August 30th, 2010, 10:28 PM   #7
Brisol

Likes (Received): 1

Underground!!! But that doesnt mean that the new exchange has to be a man hole cover! Light rail, electric or tram is an absolute must for this place to last more than the 10 years the previous one did!
Brisol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2010, 05:03 AM   #8
canterburywatch
Committed to Christchurch

Likes (Received): 0

Unfortunately, thifty Jim plans to axe this project. He wants to redirect the money to more welfare handouts and installing sky tv in council flats!
canterburywatch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2010, 05:07 AM   #9
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Quote:
Svarty, you are now forcing me to put some pictures up.........photobucket, hear I come....hopefully these pictures might help
I look forward to seeing your photos! I know Kamppi square, but I didn't realise that the bus interchange used diesel buses underground. My bad!

Still, I stick by what I say about diesel buses based on my experience in Brisbane with CNG buses stuck in the Queen Street Bus Station. It was fine whilst you were in the hermetically sealed chamber waiting for the bus to arrive, but when you went out into the bus tunnel to step onto the bus, the fumes were choking.

Also, would it be possible for Mr KF to alter the poll to include the option "both underground and overground" as I believe there should be a tram interchange underground, but the buses should be relegated to above ground.
Old August 31st, 2010, 05:49 AM   #10
frew

Given that the main reason for under-grounding as I understand it is because so many buses crossing the footpath is dangerous, and the extra cost of under-grounding, I do wonder if it would be better to build above ground, and close off the street and footpath. The bus exchange could be built over the street, stopping anybody from walking in front of the bus. The buses could enter traffic again from lights.

This could save $30million odd, which could be used for suburban interchanges. Thoughts?
frew no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2010, 11:58 AM   #11
Davee
A Christchurch Son

Helsinki Underground Bus Interchange...

Where is it??

The Garden City
Old August 31st, 2010, 12:13 PM   #12
Davee
A Christchurch Son

More to come later today...I'm having a little difficulty with a very slow connection in getting the other pics uploaded.......I'll try once I've finished with a meeting I have to go too now...

The Garden City
Old August 31st, 2010, 12:18 PM   #13
frew

It's in the middle, right underneath what I suspect is a white exhaust chimney for the bus fumes.

And you can see the entrance to it next to the white building on the right hand side.

To easy Davee. (Assuming I'm right and you haven't just picked a random photo and said there's an exchange there?)
frew no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2010, 03:34 PM   #14
Davee
A Christchurch Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by frew View Post
It's in the middle, right underneath what I suspect is a white exhaust chimney for the bus fumes.

And you can see the entrance to it next to the white building on the right hand side.

To easy Davee. (Assuming I'm right and you haven't just picked a random photo and said there's an exchange there?)
Nice try frew - all the buildings in the front are historic and protected. The white chimney is one of the vents for the interchange which is underneath a lot, but not all of the open space. The enterance is to the right of the picture about mid shot amongst all the new builds - it is all linked to pedestrian walkways/out/inlets and shops and offices.

It's my picture - I took it from the outdoor area on the top of the hotel (Sokos) we were staying in.

The Garden City
Old August 31st, 2010, 07:23 PM   #15
Davee
A Christchurch Son

Helsinki Interchange cont...

Going in...

Looking back...

Going down...

And in/under...

The Garden City

Last edited by Davee; August 31st, 2010 at 07:36 PM.
Old September 1st, 2010, 11:59 AM   #16
Brisol

Likes (Received): 1

cool! Hmmm, im kinda thinking that underground is a bit excessive... i dunno how much is this project supposed to cost?
Brisol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2010, 10:04 AM   #17
Davee
A Christchurch Son

Anderton and Parker talk transport

The Press

Christchurch's planned underground bus interchange would be canned if Jim Anderton wins the mayoralty but Bob Parker said it was a vital cog for the city, a transport mayoral debate heard this afternoon.

Both men agreed public transport needed resources and investment but differed on the best way to reduce congestion on busy roads.

About 60 people heard both men give 20-minute addresses on the issue at the event held at the Christchurch Art Gallery.

Anderton said more effort should go into improving bus services and leaving options like light rail open for debate in the longer term.

If elected mayor, Anderton said he would ask his council to scrap the underground bus interchange. Money saved by building one above ground would go towards creating smaller interchanges in the suburbs.

Parker said the underground facility provided safety for pedestrians and created a valuable open public space at ground level.

He also used the debate to further his push for more rail-based services.

The Garden City
Old September 3rd, 2010, 08:49 AM   #18
Milan Luka
stupid sexy flanders

Likes (Received): 146

Jeez that Anderton is so backward thinking. im afraid, very afraid!
Old September 3rd, 2010, 10:53 AM   #19
Davee
A Christchurch Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan Luka View Post
Jeez that Anderton is so backward thinking. im afraid, very afraid!
Be afraid, ML, be very afraid......read this report from the guy who writes the CHC Transport Blog - he was at the meeting when Mr Parker and Anderton debated transport

http://chchtransport.wordpress.com/2...bate/#more-379

The Garden City
Old September 3rd, 2010, 10:54 AM   #20
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Quote:
Be afraid, ML, be very afraid......read this report from the guy who writes the CHC Transport Blog - he was at the meeting when Mr Parker and Anderton debated transport

http://chchtransport.wordpress.com/2...bate/#more-379
Yargh, I thought Anderton would be better than he is turning out to be. He was a solid enough politician but as a potential mayor he seems very backwards.