daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Toronto > Transit & Infrastructure

Old July 30th, 2010, 06:44 PM   #1
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 6196

Ontario to run airport link after private deal collapses

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1657229/

Ontario to run airport link after private deal collapses

Provincial agency takes over project after deal with SNC-Lavalin goes off the rails

Toronto — The Canadian Press Published on Friday, Jul. 30, 2010 10:38AM EDT Last updated on Friday, Jul. 30, 2010 12:22PM EDT

A provincial agency will now build a rail link between Toronto's Union Station and the city's international airport after a long-standing deal with a private company collapsed.

Metrolinx, a provincial transportation agency responsible for the Toronto and Hamilton areas, will now own and operate the rail link.

The deal was originally granted seven years ago to a wholly owned subsidiary of Montreal-based engineering and construction firm SNC-Lavalin.

The province says the rail link should ready in time for the Pan Am Games in 2015.

In separate statements, both Metrolinx and SNC-Lavalin said the deal fell through because of financial market conditions.

SNC-Lavalin says it's disappointed and blames the economy, saying investors were reluctant to lend money for the project.

Both sides say they will work together to build upon already completed design and development work.

Metrolinx says five million people travel between Toronto's downtown and the international airport each year and that the number will jump to nine million over the next 10 years.

Metrolinx says the rail link will eliminate 1.2 million car trips per year and will create 10,000 design and construction jobs.

The province has already started construction on the Georgetown South Corridor GO Transit line to support the rail link.

In a statement, Ian Troop, the president and CEO of the Pan Am Games wrote that the rail link will make a big difference to travellers.

“The ability to travel quickly between the airport and downtown is an importance piece of the transportation puzzle for the city and the region,” he wrote.

SNC-Lavalin has previous experience with airport planning and engineering, and completed an expansion of Montreal's Trudeau Airport, as well as airports in France and Kenya, according to the company's website.

"If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you". Oscar Wilde
Taller, Better no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old July 30th, 2010, 07:20 PM   #2
Epi

Likes (Received): 31

So... SNC Lavalin decided that the idea was dumb and that they'd lose money... but they'll build it anyway for full cost, and then dump the risk onto taxpayers. Since it looks like they are going to do what they were going to do anyway, the end result is that now we're going to have old diesel locomotives pulling these expensive trains fully paid for by taxpayers.

I love it...
Epi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2010, 07:39 PM   #3
Taller, Better
Administrator

The joys of living in a society where there is little true competition in bidding, as everyone knows who is likely to get the contract anyway.

"If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you". Oscar Wilde
Old July 31st, 2010, 12:09 AM   #4
rbt

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epi View Post
So... SNC Lavalin decided that the idea was dumb and that they'd lose money... but they'll build it anyway for full cost, and then dump the risk onto taxpayers. Since it looks like they are going to do what they were going to do anyway, the end result is that now we're going to have old diesel locomotives pulling these expensive trains fully paid for by taxpayers.
Do the feds still have money in the project? IIRC, they had a few hundred million into upgrading the Georgetown corridor tied to an Airport Rail Link.

If the province needs to run trains for a few years, at a loss, it's still a net gain from their point of view.
Old July 31st, 2010, 03:46 PM   #5
rtbedm

Likes (Received): 0

they are not building this as an electric train????

what is this 1920?
rtbedm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2010, 05:46 PM   #6
Toronto2008

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbedm View Post
they are not building this as an electric train????

what is this 1920?

+ 1

if your travelling with a group of businessmen or a family of 4, it makes no sense to dish out that much cash for a trip that can be done waaaaaaaaaaaaay cheaper in a cab. Who wanted a diesel train in the first place?? Why cant GO Transit run this extension down ITS OWN Georgetown Corridor? The province needs to invest this cash towards extending the Eglinton streetcar line to the airport......
Toronto2008 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2010, 01:53 AM   #7
Filip
Torontonian 4ever

Likes (Received): 350

LOL because I'm going to love to take a streetcar from the airport!
Filip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2010, 06:30 AM   #8
Toronto2008

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filip View Post
LOL because I'm going to love to take a streetcar from the airport!
for a $3.00 cash fare that gets me from Mississauga to Scarborough/Downtown/Uptown...You would connect with Eglinton Station or Eglinton West and have access to the entire subway network + some of the LRT network will have an underground ROW, whats not to love?
Toronto2008 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2010, 08:33 AM   #9
Epi

Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto2008 View Post
+ 1

if your travelling with a group of businessmen or a family of 4, it makes no sense to dish out that much cash for a trip that can be done waaaaaaaaaaaaay cheaper in a cab. Who wanted a diesel train in the first place?? Why cant GO Transit run this extension down ITS OWN Georgetown Corridor? The province needs to invest this cash towards extending the Eglinton streetcar line to the airport......
Or you could pay $3 to take the TTC to the airport from Union. Takes about 55 mins, I did it last week.
Epi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2010, 08:35 AM   #10
Filip
Torontonian 4ever

Likes (Received): 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto2008 View Post
for a $3.00 cash fare that gets me from Mississauga to Scarborough/Downtown/Uptown...You would connect with Eglinton Station or Eglinton West and have access to the entire subway network + some of the LRT network will have an underground ROW, whats not to love?
An hour later you'd probably still be somewhere near Jane.

This is a streetcar people, except similar speeds. Most people will probably continue using the airport rocket to Kipling, much quicker.
Filip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2010, 05:47 PM   #11
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 153

I don't get it. If the rail line is already owned by GO then why don't they just build an a Metro to Etobiko North GO station and then have it continue S/W to Pearson. Maybe there could be a few fwer stations than a normal subway but still average one every 1 or 2 km north of Bloor.
It could actually be part of the subway system as opposed to an expensive to travel diesel route which will still require the construction of a Monorail connection to a GO Line.
This could be a real Metro for the masses who work at pearson and serve the people living in all of Etobiko as opposed to an expensive Bay Street express. You have no idea how easy and blissful it now is getting to YVR from Vancouver Centre all with no extra fare.
That is what Toronto should be building.
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2010, 08:08 PM   #12
Taller, Better
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epi View Post
Or you could pay $3 to take the TTC to the airport from Union. Takes about 55 mins, I did it last week.
I do it all the time.

Old August 2nd, 2010, 05:47 AM   #13
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Likes (Received): 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filip View Post
An hour later you'd probably still be somewhere near Jane.

This is a streetcar people, except similar speeds. Most people will probably continue using the airport rocket to Kipling, much quicker.
I think so too. The busses run like every ten minutes.
YU-AMC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2010, 05:31 PM   #14
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 153

The Canada Line runs every 6 minutes using 2 subway cars, is seamless from downtown, incredibly smooth and quiet, and costs the same amount as a regular Richmond fare which you can use any throughout Metro Vancouver.
The TTC service to Person is so mickey mouse and the "high speed" will still require a transfer, probably use diesel trains, not run near as frequently, and will be bloody expensive so to be useless to the 95% of Torontonians who use Pearson.
It makes for great ribbon cutting but is an obscene waste of precious transit dollars.
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2010, 07:26 AM   #15
TheMann2000
Toronto's Defender

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy2 View Post
The Canada Line runs every 6 minutes using 2 subway cars, is seamless from downtown, incredibly smooth and quiet, and costs the same amount as a regular Richmond fare which you can use any throughout Metro Vancouver.
The TTC service to Person is so mickey mouse and the "high speed" will still require a transfer, probably use diesel trains, not run near as frequently, and will be bloody expensive so to be useless to the 95% of Torontonians who use Pearson.
It makes for great ribbon cutting but is an obscene waste of precious transit dollars.
No arguments here. As others have pointed out, it doesn't take that long to use the TTC, but the transfers are annoying, and if they are serious about that thing, what they need is an electrified line, double-tracked to deal with the traffic, with trainsets that can get to and from the airport in 30 minutes tops, preferably less than that. Assuming Metrolinx' number is right, five million trips a year is 13,700 a day, which if use a trainset that can carry 700 people means 20 trips a day. Very few transit lines make money, so its not real surprising that SNC-Lavalin doesn't want to operate it.
TheMann2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2010, 06:59 AM   #16
urban 2.0

Likes (Received): 8

This should be a GO express service.

Go to Amsterdam ... it's the same rail network that takes commuters to the city.

And yes lets go high speed on this one.

I swear it will be 2045 before we see anything.
urban 2.0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2010, 07:14 AM   #17
kettal
city

Likes (Received): 0

HSR in urban area? That won't go over well.
kettal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2010, 11:49 PM   #18
manrush
Agenda 21 Advocate

Likes (Received): 473

Is electrification of the airport rail link justifiable at all?

I mean for me, the answer will always be yes. But then again, I would like an unbiased opinion.
manrush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2010, 12:55 AM   #19
MattToronto
Less is More

Likes (Received): 77

Have they ever considered a line running from Kipling? (I'm guessing no because of space)

I think electric is justifiable, considering their plan is to take cars OFF the road, why don't they extend the environmentalism further?
MattToronto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2010, 05:02 AM   #20
Nouvellecosse
~ Mysterious Entity ~

Likes (Received): 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettal View Post
HSR in urban area? That won't go over well.
Maybe this would go over better.
Nouvellecosse no está en línea   Reply With Quote