daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Tampa Bay Area > Skyway Lounge

Skyway Lounge Discussions about the Tampa Bay area community.... news, nightlife, attractions, sports, events, etc.

Old November 14th, 2007, 03:41 PM   #1
HARTride 2012
Tampa Bay Area Mod

Likes (Received): 593

Bruce B. Downs to close for a week

Bruce B. Downs to close for a week
By MIKE BRASSFIELD, Times Staff Writer
Published November 14, 2007

TAMPA

Bruce B. Downs is shutting down.

The boulevard that's the only way in and out of New Tampa for most drivers will be completely closed at night at the Interstate 75 junction during the week after Thanksgiving.

It'll be blocked off from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. for construction work, forcing late-night or early morning drivers to be detoured nearly 10 miles out of their way.

This will start Monday night, Nov. 26, and will continue through the following Friday night. Crews will be installing steel girders for a new flyover ramp that will soon take southbound drivers on Bruce B. Downs to southbound I-75.

"It should not impact morning and evening drive-time traffic," said John McShaffrey, a spokesman for the Florida Department of Transportation.

Still, the road closure will be particularly inconvenient for some New Tampa residents because they have no alternate routes. Bruce B. Downs is their only thoroughfare.

[Last modified November 14, 2007, 00:37:15]

http://www.sptimes.com/2007/11/14/Hi..._to_clos.shtml
HARTride 2012 | Please visit my website: Public Transit As Told By HARTride 2012 - Public Transit told from a unique perspective! - Tampa Bay, New York City, Hampton Roads, Europe | Follow me on Twitter | "Like" my page on Facebook
HARTride 2012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old November 14th, 2007, 03:42 PM   #2
HARTride 2012
Tampa Bay Area Mod

In other words......New Tampa Commuters MUST FIND ALTERNATE ROUTES NOW!

And that's a big headache!
HARTride 2012 | Please visit my website: Public Transit As Told By HARTride 2012 - Public Transit told from a unique perspective! - Tampa Bay, New York City, Hampton Roads, Europe | Follow me on Twitter | "Like" my page on Facebook
Old November 14th, 2007, 07:42 PM   #3
Jasonhouse

Likes (Received): 507

Somewhat surprising that it wasn't segmented in a median or something, to provide uninterrupted flow during construction, considering the lousy infrastructure (no alternative routes) in that area, but what do I know?

97Roll, do you have any insight?
Jasonhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2007, 08:42 PM   #4
97Roll
Tampa, FL

Likes (Received): 0

Constructing an additional support pier for the flyover isn't necessary structurally plus it would have added significant cost to the project. Maintenance of traffic usually takes a back seat to overall cost effectiveness of the project. But hey, it's only for a week right? When I first read the headline, it sounded like they were closing down BBD for the entire week (not just at night during the week)
97Roll no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2007, 03:37 AM   #5
Jasonhouse

Likes (Received): 507

^thanks.
Jasonhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2007, 03:41 PM   #6
HARTride 2012
Tampa Bay Area Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Roll View Post
Constructing an additional support pier for the flyover isn't necessary structurally plus it would have added significant cost to the project. Maintenance of traffic usually takes a back seat to overall cost effectiveness of the project. But hey, it's only for a week right? When I first read the headline, it sounded like they were closing down BBD for the entire week (not just at night during the week)
The new Veterans flyovers are similar to this nature. The piers are spaced differently but none are placed on the medians of any of the highways.

BTW: I hear from Bay News 9 that the BBD project is ahead of schedule. It's set to be done by 2009, but will probably be done by fall 2008.