search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > دار زايـــد United Arab Emirates > Completed Projects and Thread Archive > Completed Projects

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 8th, 2017, 11:00 AM   #17561
Burj Khalifa fan
Photographer

Likes (Received): 2421

Passed by this at night. I think just the lower floors is occupied, anyone knows anything about this topic ?

Sponsored Links
Old August 8th, 2017, 02:48 PM   #17562
mackie1964

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burj Khalifa fan View Post
Passed by this at night. I think just the lower floors is occupied, anyone knows anything about this topic ?
NOTICE: THE TORCH UPDATES

Dear Residents

Residents living on floors 6 to 28 inclusive can continue to return to their apartments in Torch Tower – local authorities and building staff will assist those returning between 9:00 am and 9:00 pm daily.

Residents on floors 30 and above will remain in Emergency accommodation until further notice following clearance from the local Authorities.

Technicians continue to prepare the second zone of the tower in preparation for the return of residents throughout floors 30 to 54 inclusive. Systems in this zone continue to be checked, cleaned and repaired if required including the following:

Fresh Air Handling Units – operational and filters cleaned or changed where required.
Common Area Lobby Air Conditioning – servicing and cleaning
Fire Fighting Air Extraction system – will be run daily between 2pm and 4pm. This is in addition to the fresh air and air conditioning systems in order to aid the circulation of air as quickly as possible.
Fire Fighting Sprinkler systems – system checks for floors 30-54

As soon as Dubai Police/Civil Defence provide clearance for re-entering the building on floors 30 and above, we will inform all residents immediately.

Elevators continue to be operated in manual mode and cannot be called automatically. The security team is operating lifts at this time and staff on site will assist residents in calling elevators when needed.

Many thanks once again for your cooperation during this difficult situation.

Burj Khalifa fan, Dr_Jimmy liked this post
mackie1964 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2017, 04:34 PM   #17563
Burj Khalifa fan
Photographer

Oh and it looks that there was a minor fire in Marina Pinnacle two days ago!

http://www.khaleejtimes.com/nation/d...ai-tiger-tower
Old August 12th, 2017, 11:56 AM   #17564
amplesou

Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
This is a tragedy that The Torch has suffered another serious fire. These fires are easily caused by smokers discarding cigarette butts over the balcony which then land on furniture on a balcony below. Smokers simply don't give a flying shit about anyone other than themselves, they are the most selfish people on the planet. Every building I know has a problem with smokers discarding cigarettes instead of using ashtrays. I hope they start issuing jail sentences soon to smokers who are caught in the act and prosecutions which result is compensation payments which financially ruin them. That's the only way they will begin to stop and think before they put others lives and prosperity in jeopardy.
No blame attached to Select Properties then, and there tinter-box properties ...just a fool with a ciggy???

amplesou no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2017, 12:16 PM   #17565
kony

Likes (Received): 1201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burj Khalifa fan View Post
Oh and it looks that there was a minor fire in Marina Pinnacle two days ago!

http://www.khaleejtimes.com/nation/d...ai-tiger-tower
Tiger, formerly known as Marina Pinnacle has already went through fire some years back
kony no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2017, 12:17 PM   #17566
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1084

I assume had they used cladding of a higher quality, the fire couldn´t spread as much as it did here twice, in Imre´s building in JLT and of course the adress in dowtown. So the blame is on both sides i would say.
Old August 17th, 2017, 08:26 AM   #17567
Burj Khalifa fan
Photographer

16-8-2017
The upper part damage

Old August 19th, 2017, 02:16 AM   #17568
amplesou

Likes (Received): 35

Nothing to stop this building igniting again,surely not safe for residential use anymore...those people at select property,s should be brought to justice imop.

People who reside there are at risk!

Who going to pay to reclad this building to a safe standard,probally the owners ....thus making there investment worthless?

ChampagnePaulie liked this post
amplesou no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2017, 09:18 PM   #17569
UAE Investor

Likes (Received): 509

What do residents in the Torch think?

https://www.propertyfinder.ae/en/bui...the-torch.html
UAE Investor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2017, 08:26 PM   #17570
Jet7

Likes (Received): 31

No official communication to the owners so far, what the hell is going on? Any updates guys?
Jet7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2017, 09:24 PM   #17571
WelchLS

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet7 View Post
No official communication to the owners so far, what the hell is going on? Any updates guys?

I mailed Select to ask that, since there has been no official comms to the wider ownership. Response as below:

------

"As you are aware a fire broke out at The Torch overnight on the 3rd August. Thankfully the building’s emergency systems responded according to planned procedures and the building was evacuated with no reported casualties. Residents were allowed to return to apartments up to level 28, which were not directly affected by the fire, on the 7th August. All residents of the building were offered temporary accommodation during the period that building was not able to be occupied whilst safety checks by the police and fire service were taking place.

Understandably, our priority has been to support the owners and guests who were staying at the Torch during this time, or who had booked to arrive during their weeks in August. Our local partner Howdra has been liaising closely with the Building Manager, Kingfield, to provide up-to-date information to those affected by the fire and the immediate affects in the short term. As a result, disruption has been kept to a minimum and all owners have been able to continue their visits as planned during their weeks.

There is still no official statement from the Building Management about the cause of the fire, or any information about the extent of the damage or plans to fully reinstate the affected areas in the building. We would expect the detail of these matters to be assessed and notified to owners in the fullness of time. We will keep all owners updated with any information or official statements as they are made available to us. Until then, the apartments on level ten remain open for occupation by owners and their guests."

Jet7 liked this post
WelchLS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2017, 01:35 AM   #17572
ChampagnePaulie

Likes (Received): 0

I was due to arrive at The Torch on August 12th for a week in our Fractional Ownership apartment. On learning of the fire, I emailed the office in Manchester asking for an update. The reply I received was that they hadn't had an official update from their agents. Later that day I had another email saying they still had no information and their office was now closed for the weekend! They told me they would get back to me first thing on Monday morning (Aug 7th). Lunchtime on Monday came and went so I contacted them again. This time I was told there was still no update and they sent me telephone numbers for hotels in tbe area! I found out via the Gulf News website that residents had been allowed back into the building on floors 6 to 28. I contacted them again to confirm this information and to confirm our apartment was OK to stay in etc. Had I not contacted them, I very much doubt they would have been in touch with me. I found out more information from the Gulf News than I did from Select.
ChampagnePaulie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2017, 06:58 PM   #17573
Jet7

Thanks for this.

What's next now? Should we seek for compensation as it's affecting both resale and rent price of our units?
Old August 30th, 2017, 12:02 AM   #17574
ChampagnePaulie

Likes (Received): 0

We have two apartments, one fortnight in February and the other in August. Prior to 2015 we let out the August fortnight however since the first fire we haven't felt able to do this due to the pool being out of action. We couldn't ask people to come to Dubai in summer and not have use of the pool or fork out more money to go to a hotel to use theirs. This August I bit the bullet and paid for a day pass at the Habtoor Grand to use the pool, sunbeds and parasols. My husband couldn't accompany me this time but had he done so, it would have been AED150 each per day to do this which significantly puts up the cost of your holiday. Off the top of ny head, I can't remember the reason Kingfield gave for not reducing the maintenance charge.

I don't know about you but we don't seem to be kept in the loop as to what is happening to the building.
ChampagnePaulie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2017, 05:51 PM   #17575
Jet7

Same here, no update at all which is extremely frustrating

ChampagnePaulie liked this post
Old Yesterday, 11:12 AM   #17576
Astaire007

Likes (Received): 330

2017-10-08

Astaire007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote