search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area > Greater Manchester Transport Projects

Greater Manchester Transport Projects Transport Matters For Greater Manchester and Surrounding Areas

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3482 votes, 4.99 average.
Old October 20th, 2017, 12:46 PM   #47041
dpjones1978
jonesy3001

Likes (Received): 83

Ah!! My eyes need to find the eye wash after looking at that eyesore.
dpjones1978 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 20th, 2017, 04:36 PM   #47042
traffordboy

Likes (Received): 255

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpjones1978 View Post
Ah!! My eyes need to find the eye wash after looking at that eyesore.
traffordboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2017, 04:45 PM   #47043
dpjones1978
jonesy3001

Likes (Received): 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by traffordboy View Post
Lets just say i`ve been supporting the blue half of Manchester for over 30yrs
dpjones1978 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2017, 07:48 PM   #47044
Mwmbwls

Likes (Received): 862

Radical Steve?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoSteve View Post
We don't wish. We take action. Keep the pressure on the politicians to push on and make things happen.
In other words "THE FANTASISTS UNITED WILL NEVER BE DEFEATED"

No more.

scientist12 liked this post
Mwmbwls no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2017, 09:37 PM   #47045
Freel07

Likes (Received): 14967

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDB View Post
Also allows faster journeys to the Airport, completely bypassing WTC. This is, I believe, what puts people off travelling by tram to the Airport. Most people opt for the train instead, especially if their destination is around Piccadilly
To be honest the prime purpose of line was never intended as a City Centre to Airport direct link. The original business case was actually built on providing a transport link for more local and regular passengers, particularly those working in the service sector at the Airport and travelling 5 or 6 days a week. The provision of public transport for a proportion of the workforce was as far as I know a requirement of the development of the site. Whether it succeeds in that aim I have no idea. It does seem to have been successful in providing access around Wythenshawe.
I can't see how the tram would ever compete with the train from Piccadilly to Airport in terms of transit time.

VDB, Berlin Manc, TommyD, X666, bogblaster and 2 others liked this post
Freel07 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2017, 09:48 PM   #47046
Freel07

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoSteve View Post
I notice that Phase 4 is defined in http://www.tfgm.com/Corporate/Docume...an-2017-20.pdf

Western Loop and Tram Train
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewheel View Post
That is saying phase 4 (Trafford line?) is in addition to the Western Loop and Tram-Train, not that they are phase 4.
Perhaps I am guilty of being the eternal optimist but I also read that as Phase 4 + Western Loop + Tram-Train. The wording could have been better I suppose. I don't think the Trafford Line currently under construction is Phase 4 though. Having said that I am not sure what would constitute Phase 4.

bogblaster liked this post
Old October 20th, 2017, 10:20 PM   #47047
Paull76

Likes (Received): 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freel07 View Post
Perhaps I am guilty of being the eternal optimist but I also read that as Phase 4 + Western Loop + Tram-Train. The wording could have been better I suppose. I don't think the Trafford Line currently under construction is Phase 4 though. Having said that I am not sure what would constitute Phase 4.
yeah, i read it like that too. The Trafford park extension is phase 3 isn't it?

Freel07 liked this post
Paull76 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2017, 10:33 PM   #47048
DiscoSteve
IT City Planner

Likes (Received): 1743

If you frequent the SEMMMS thread and have read the SOBC draft report you might have noticed the content relating to future Stockport Metrolink Tram Train in Table 2-2: Current Progress on Delivering Schemes Identified in SEMMMS.

In the SEMMMS Final Report status update it shows against:

Metrolink - Stockport Extension
Metrolink - Stockport to Rose Hill
Metrolink - Stockport to Airport

A stage of implementation of "Projects in Development"

Paull76, Mwmbwls, Stopfordian Dreamer liked this post
DiscoSteve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2017, 05:54 PM   #47049
bogblaster

Likes (Received): 870

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paull76 View Post
Might it be that the western loop is being seen as an extension to the airport line project? In which case it could legitimately be considered part of phase 3.
bogblaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2017, 10:17 PM   #47050
Freel07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paull76 View Post
As far as I am aware the Trafford Line was never part of Phase 3. Phase 3 was made up of 2 parts. Phase 3A was East Manchester to Droylsden, Oldham Rochdale to Rochdale Station via Mumps temporary and South Manchester to St Werburghs Road. Phase 3B was then approved and took in Droylsden to Ashton, Oldham (including diversion away from the former heavy rail route through Oldham) and Rochdale Town Centres, St Werburghs Road to East Didsbury and Manchester Airport and 2CC (which was always noted as a requirement for successful operation of the Airport Line full service). As far as I know neither MediaCityUK or Trafford formed part of Phase 3. MCUK was simply a locally funded project in its own right and Trafford is a project in its own right.

thewheel, Paull76 liked this post
Old October 23rd, 2017, 11:35 PM   #47051
Maxants

Likes (Received): 487

Quote:
I can't see how the tram would ever compete with the train from Piccadilly to Airport in terms of transit time.
After the airport line was built, I never used the train again. Living in Old Trafford and then Whalley Range - the simple appeal of hopping on a tram was just too great! Would be different if I lived in North Manchester or closer to Piccadilly.

The other great thing; coming home to beloved Manchester from abroad - and getting on a yellow tram. Very satisfying.
Old October 24th, 2017, 12:10 AM   #47052
jrb
10th February 2008

Likes (Received): 29046

End of September.

https://twitter.com/hashtag/steviebentley?src=hash
Old October 24th, 2017, 01:24 AM   #47053
Johnny de Rivative
Nostalgia Yet to Come

Likes (Received): 11413

Quote:
As far as I am aware the Trafford Line was never part of Phase 3. Phase 3 was made up of 2 parts. Phase 3A was East Manchester to Droylsden, Oldham Rochdale to Rochdale Station via Mumps temporary and South Manchester to St Werburghs Road. Phase 3B was then approved and took in Droylsden to Ashton, Oldham (including diversion away from the former heavy rail route through Oldham) and Rochdale Town Centres, St Werburghs Road to East Didsbury and Manchester Airport and 2CC (which was always noted as a requirement for successful operation of the Airport Line full service). As far as I know neither MediaCityUK or Trafford formed part of Phase 3. MCUK was simply a locally funded project in its own right and Trafford is a project in its own right.
Spot on as ever, Freel. This was the position in 2003 (following John Prescott's 25-line announcement in 2000 and before the Darling axe fell in 2004) when Phase 3 was known as the Single Contract. £200 million was spent on Advanced Works during that time, which Darling was prepared to throw away :-

In a bid to make some sensible progress Phase 3 was divided into a and b as you mention. Darling later relented but the same money would then only buy Phase 3a. I don't know where I got this dinky little map but I've marked it '2005' :-

It had always been stated that the Trafford Line would only be built on 100% private funding, but it was re-incorporated into the failed TIF Bid (Congestion Charge) of 2008. Stockport, however, dropped out altogether at that point :-

By the time of the eventual approval of Phase 3b in 2010, Trafford therefore remained the only line without funding, but I can't remember how it came to be reinstated again more recently. . .

JOHNNY'S BIG BANG:- http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...&page=250#5000

Metrolink Full Chronology http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...age=1068#21357

Midland Metro Future route Centenary Square<>Edgbaston http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...&page=458#9158
Midland Metro Future route HS2 Birmingham Curzon<>Deritend http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...984&page=6#109

Tony_H1, Altfish, paulw3726, VDB, r02bapurdie and 6 others liked this post
Johnny de Rivative no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2017, 01:28 AM   #47054
bogblaster

Likes (Received): 870

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxants View Post
After the airport line was built, I never used the train again. Living in Old Trafford and then Whalley Range - the simple appeal of hopping on a tram was just too great! Would be different if I lived in North Manchester or closer to Piccadilly.

The other great thing; coming home to beloved Manchester from abroad - and getting on a yellow tram. Very satisfying.
Fully agree with your final sentiments though I have no experience of coming home from abroad. And, yes if I needed to get to or from the airport then Metrolink would be my first choice but I do live in north Manchester, just about as north as Manchester goes. The appeal for me is the fact that trams run every few minutes, dropping me much nearer to buses from the city centre to north Manchester. Trains I love as much as trams, drop me a long way from the station entrance at Piccadilly from where I have a lengthy walk to the bus. So, whilst agreeing with Freel07 that the actual journey time by train is much faster as an individual leg of my journey, overall the tram works out quicker and more convenient.

Berlin Manc, Freel07 liked this post
bogblaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2017, 01:44 AM   #47055
Johnny de Rivative
Nostalgia Yet to Come

Good points all round.

It will be interesting to see what decisions people will make about getting to the Airport from Victoria (soon to be revealed) . . . i.e.

#Tram all the way (tempting, as there will probably be one already sat sitting there in the centre platform apparently ready to depart)?
#Tram, Bus, or Metroshuttle to Piccadilly then fast train?
# Wait how long for a direct train via Ordsall Chord?

Which one shall we choose?

Midland Metro Future route Centenary Square<>Edgbaston http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...&page=458#9158
Midland Metro Future route HS2 Birmingham Curzon<>Deritend http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...984&page=6#109

bogblaster, Maxants liked this post

Last edited by Johnny de Rivative; October 24th, 2017 at 01:41 PM.
Old October 24th, 2017, 03:47 AM   #47056
moggaz
Erik morrison

Likes (Received): 6

When the airport line opened me my brother And his son caught the tram from the airport to cornbrook then a tram into the city centre and we had just come home from Spain but thinking about it I would catch the train next time as living near Bolton andcarrying luggags its alot easier but saying that I enjoyed the ride on the tram as I always have done

Johnny de Rivative liked this post
moggaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2017, 02:20 PM   #47057
Johnny de Rivative
Nostalgia Yet to Come

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny de Rivative View Post
. . . the Trafford Line therefore remained the only line without funding, but I can't remember how it came to be reinstated again more recently. . .

Of course I should have thought to consult the fons aurigae, namely the lrta.org website (and its erudite Webmaster Tony Williams), which immediately provided me with the following info :-

3.11.2014 ‘Northern Powerhouse’ Transport funding announced by George Osborne, incl. £350M for Trafford Park Line
13.10.2016 Trafford Park Line signed off by Chris Grayling
12.1.2017 Groundwork begins for Trafford Park Line

# Mark Ovenden's wonderful new book, which I'm now exploring in detail, also gives chapter and verse of this type of chronology and also examples of the development of the coloured route diagram over the years (up until the present disaster - but with glimmers of hope for the future . . .)

MarkO, Phreud liked this post

Last edited by Johnny de Rivative; October 24th, 2017 at 06:41 PM.
Old October 24th, 2017, 07:09 PM   #47058
r02bapurdie
Andrew

Likes (Received): 4431

http://www.tfgm.com/Corporate/media_...articleId=1289

Quote:
Early Christmas present as Metrolink roadworks lifted at intu Trafford Centre

​Christmas has come early with the completion of the first phase of highway works for the new Trafford Park Metrolink line at intu Trafford Centre.

Transport for Greater Manchester (TfGM) has unveiled a new temporary road layout at Peel Circle and removed roadworks to help visitors travelling around TRAFFORDCITY from now until New Year – a busy time for retail and leisure.

Work to construct the new Trafford Park Metrolink line will press ahead at other key locations along the route as well as on land at intu Trafford Centre which is off the road.

Councillor Andrew Fender, Chair of the Transport for Greater Manchester Committee, said: “Construction of the Trafford Park line is progressing at quite a pace.

“However, we have purposely scheduled our work to help visitors and businesses close to intu Trafford Centre at this busy time of year. We’ve opened newly-constructed lanes and removed temporary traffic lights in the immediate area.

“Anyone travelling to the area to shop, dine, attend an event or ski should be aware that there is a new temporary road layout at Peel Circle to help improve the flow of traffic.”

A plan of the new temporary road layout close to EventCity, Barton Square and intu Trafford Centre, is available on the Trafford Park line webpage.

https://beta.tfgm.com/travel-updates...-trafford-park

Alison Niven, Regional Centre Director for intu Trafford Centre, said: “We’re approaching our busiest eight weeks of the year, with shoppers travelling from across the UK to enjoy a day of Christmas shopping, dining and leisure attractions.

“Therefore we’re pleased to have worked closely with TfGM and their contractor M-Pact Thales to arrange the resequencing the construction work and minimise the effect on the roads until the New Year, providing an easier approach for shoppers during this peak period.

“We look forward to the opening of the new Metrolink line in 2020 – it’s going to be new, frequent and convenient travel option for our 30 million annual visitors and 8,000 retail colleagues.”

Sean Anstee, Leader of Trafford Council, said: “The council is in support of any scheme that helps businesses in the borough, especially in the run up to the festive period. This is a critical trading time, so we welcome the removal of the roadworks and look forward to the next phase of construction starting.”

The next phase of Metrolink construction affecting highways close to intu Trafford Centre will start in January 2018.

TfGM is working with M-Pact Thales and WSP to deliver the Trafford Park Line Metrolink extension which is planned to be complete in 2020.

The £350 million Metrolink project – which includes a £20 million contribution from Trafford Council – will support regeneration and economic growth by improving public transport access to employment, business, retail and leisure opportunities in the Trafford Park area and beyond.

The six-stop line will also take in other major visitor attractions including Old Trafford football stadium, the Imperial War Museum North and EventCity.
4,000 likes achieve on 2nd January 2017

Thanks to everyone who liked my posts. :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/metrolink_work/
r02bapurdie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2017, 09:53 PM   #47059
Freel07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny de Rivative View Post
Good points all round.

It will be interesting to see what decisions people will make about getting to the Airport from Victoria (soon to be revealed) . . . i.e.

#Tram all the way (tempting, as there will probably be one already sat sitting there in the centre platform apparently ready to depart)?
#Tram, Bus, or Metroshuttle to Piccadilly then fast train?
# Wait how long for a direct train via Ordsall Chord?

Which one shall we choose?

Living in Ashton my present choice would be tram to Piccadilly and train to Airport. Tram all the way is currently 1.5 hours against tram/train via Piccadilly at just over an hour although the change at Piccadilly is rather tortuous.
I'm not sure what the through journey time will be from Ashton to the Airport once the trams start from Victoria, around an hour I'd guess which would give a overall time of around 1hr 20 minutes. The main advantage of using the train/tram via Victoria will be easy interchange.

Maxants, bogblaster liked this post
Old October 24th, 2017, 10:33 PM   #47060
purple_cat

Likes (Received): 3396

Current situation at Peel Circle

Peel circle by Claire Williamson, on Flickr

Freel07 liked this post
purple_cat no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
manchester, metro, metrolink, tram

Rate This Thread