SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Kochi | Food & Drink | Restaurant, Café & Bar

745K views 2K replies 154 participants last post by  grimmy_vk 
#1 ·
For the past 600 years, Kochi has catered to many vistors from around the world including Arabs, Chinese, Portuguese, French, English, Dutch, Russians and Japanese. This has made the city a melting pot of various cultures, and this diversity is evident in the cuisine.
Being a coastal city, plenty of fresh seafood is the local speciality. With the backwaters, freshwater fish is also popular here. Prawns, squids and shrimps are easily available and cooked in many styles. The most famous of Kochi's specialty dishes is Meen Molagitta Curry (smoked freshwater fish with chilly and coconut milk). The English popularized smoked fish with steamed bread and mashed potatoes. One of Kochi's traditional vegetarian specialties is Kurukku Kalan (a thick yogurt curry with toasted banana and hot rice). Packed Kurukku Kalan as well as Palada (a sweet dessert with rice flakes and milk) are sold in many supermarkets and food stalls, especially during festive times.

Here is a thread to post and discuss various points of cuisines in Cochin, the economic capital.

#1,956 ·
ഇറച്ചിക്കറിയിൽ പാറ്റ, ദുർഗന്ധം ; ആലുവയിൽ ഹോട്ടലുകളിൽ റെയ്ഡ്.

നഗരത്തിലെ ഹോട്ടലുകളിൽനിന്ന് ചീഞ്ഞതും പഴകിയതുമായ ഭക്ഷണസാധനങ്ങൾ പിടികൂടി. റെയിൽവേ സ്*റ്റേഷൻ, പുളിഞ്ചോട്, തോട്ടക്കാട്ടുകര മേഖലകളിലാണ് പരിശോധന നടന്നത്. പത്ത്* ഹോട്ടലുകളിൽ നഗരസഭ ആരോഗ്യ വിഭാഗത്തിന്റെ നേതൃത്വത്തിൽ പരിശോധന നടത്തിയാണ് വിവിധതരം ഭക്ഷണസാധനങ്ങൾ പിടിച്ചെടുത്തത്. പിടിച്ചെടുത്തവയിൽ ഒരു ഹോട്ടലിലെ ഇറച്ചിക്കറിയിൽ നിന്ന് പാറ്റകളെയും കണ്ടെത്തി. ഫ്രീസറിൽ സൂക്ഷിച്ചിരുന്ന കറിയുടെ പാത്രം തുറന്നപ്പോളാണ് നിരവധി പാറ്റകളെ കണ്ടത്. ഫ്രീസറുകളിൽ സൂക്ഷിച്ചിരുന്ന ഭക്ഷണസാധങ്ങൾ പുറത്തെടുത്ത് കുറച്ച് സമയം കഴിഞ്ഞപ്പോൾതന്നെ ദുർഗന്ധം വന്നുതുടങ്ങി. വെള്ളിയാഴ്ച പുലർച്ചെ 5.30-ന് തുടങ്ങിയ പരിശോധന 7.30 വരെ തുടർന്നു..

അലങ്കാർ ഹോട്ടൽ, എവറസ്റ്റ്, ബാംബിനോ, സീലാന്റ്, മിൻഹ റെസ്*റ്റോറന്റ്, തലശ്ശേരി കിച്ചൺ, അറഫ റെസ്*റ്റോറന്റ്, സൂരജ് ഹോട്ടൽ, മീൻചട്ടി റെസ്*റ്റോറന്റ്, ഹോട്ടൽ താജ് എന്നിവിടങ്ങളിൽ നിന്നാണ് പഴകിയ ഭക്ഷണസാധങ്ങൾ പിടികൂടിയത്..

Read more at: https://www.mathrubhumi.com/ernakulam/news/aluva-1.3296602

#1,960 ·
The margins that food delivery platforms charge are hefty, KHRA members say. “Uber Eats and Swiggy take a 33% commission and Zomato charges around 22%,” Suhaib V, owner of Kochi-based Ceylon Bake House, told Quartz. “Only if the delivery apps reduce their commissions to around 10% will we potentially stop losing so much money.” Ceylon Bake House is a member of the KHRA.

Source : https://qz.com/india/1476477/keralas-restaurants-oppose-zomato-swiggy-foodpanda-uber-eats/

#1,964 ·
Had dinner at Taco Bell (Lulu) with family. Its over prized for the quantity being served. Taco size is almost half the measure sold in the US and even the filling is lesser. Burrito was better sized. Tortilla chips were no where near the original. No drink options other than fizzy drinks which they serve you bottomless. You could end up paying close to 1000 bucks for a family and it would still not be a filling experience. Disappointment for people who have been to the Amercian outlets of the same chain.

#1,969 ·
Calicut based DownTown Café have opened at Panampilly Nagar, adjacent to Cocoa Tree
I think, there was another branch of Downtown previously in Kochi, in Vytilla at Broad bean hotel. I haven't been there, but from the logo, I feel its same.

#1,968 ·
Needless to mention other outlets where I tried shawarma .

Experience was horrible...felt like eating raw chicken...

Later I decided to go for Indian restaurant...There was one Empire restaurant..food was really good.

One more Andhra restaurant near Karama...that was also good.

#1,986 ·
1947 @ kakkanad...

Unique ambience on Indian independence concept..

Very good service...
Tasty food ...
Value for money...good quantity at low prices..
Probably..the best one in this area currently...
Downside...noise level is surprisingly very high..