daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Los Angeles > Los Angeles forums > Projects > Development News

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 22nd, 2008, 06:12 AM   #1
saiholmes

Likes (Received): 323

Los Angeles Football Stadium Proposals

http://www.losangelesfootballstadium.com/
http://www.losangelesfootballstadium.com/get-involved

NFL to join UCLA in Rose Bowl?

The NFL could return to Los Angeles in 2009 — and the team might take up temporary residence in the Rose Bowl.

At a cocktail reception Wednesday night in Century City, a group of local business leaders was treated to an encore of the Los Angeles Stadium presentation that recently was given to NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell.

The project is spearheaded by Majestic Reality, run by developer Ed Roski (who also has a minority stake in the Lakers and Kings and is chairman of the USC Board of Trustees). Plans were originally announced in April, but Wednesday's event demonstrated continued conviction and a better sense of the project's time line.

Roski reportedly is prepared to plunk down a cool $1 billion of his own money on an NFL franchise. In order to meet objectives, the team might have to relocate to the Southland by 2009. Majestic Vice President John Semcken seemed very optimistic that it would kick off in the Rose Bowl next September. The new stadium could break ground in the City of Industry in the next few months and could be ready for the team by the 2011 season.

From a not-so-casual observer's perspective, the presentation was extremely impressive and the proposed stadium boasts features that most Angelinos couldn't have dreamed of just a few years ago. The plans are creative, the solutions are practical, and the capital — both fiscal and political — seems to be there. The business model is downright savvy. Obviously this region has been teased in the past, but maybe, just maybe, this is the solution we've been waiting for.

The only thing that raised this writer's eyebrow was that Majestic had hired a consultant already under contract with the NFL. It's a well-calculated move that will help them navigate through any of the league's red tape. Hopefully they're getting plenty of independent advice, as well.

One of the cooler aspects of the stadium is a focus on "green" construction. The design limits the amount of steel for construction, avoids unnecessary air-conditioning and heating, uses gray water and is convenient to public transportation. Don't worry, there's still plenty of parking and lots of freeway access.

As for which team might come to Los Angeles? Officials are tight-lipped about specifics, but said that certain targets are obvious. The California teams (Oakland, San Francisco and San Diego) have bad stadiums and face major obstacles in building new ones in their current cities. Moving those teams also would avoid confusing the existing NFL divisions. Jacksonville, Buffalo, New Orleans and Minnesota are all in "financial distress." The Rams are also having money issues, but contractual obligations probably would keep them in St. Louis for several more years and that wouldn't fit the time frame of Majestic's proposal. Whichever team comes to L.A., officials hope to have them signed by June 2009 and maybe as soon as April.

And don't forget this twist — the stadium is designed to hold two franchises.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/brui...-join-ucl.html

The Hill Bowl

Last edited by saiholmes; October 23rd, 2009 at 04:13 AM.
saiholmes no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 22nd, 2008, 06:14 AM   #2
saiholmes

NFL warms to stadium idea
Developer displays his plans at league headquarters in N.Y.
By Ben Baeder, Staff Writer
Article Launched: 06/12/2008 09:29:27 PM PDT

What do you think of Roski's NFL proposal? Click here to share your opinion.

INDUSTRY - An NFL spokesman called a proposed San Gabriel Valley football stadium "an interesting possibility" following a meeting this week with developer Ed Roski Jr.

"At their request, the Roski group provided us an update on their stadium project," said NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy in an e-mail. "Mr. Roski's site certainly seems to present an interesting possibility. The permitting and construction processes seem to be more defined than other sites we have seen."

Roski's development company, Majestic Realty Cos., proposed the stadium in April. McCarthy said then that NFL staffers were "monitoring all stadium-related developments at this time."

The attitude changed Monday after the meeting at NFL headquarters in New York, officials said.

"They have seen the plan now," Majestic Realty Co. Vice President John Semcken said. "They're very impressed."

The plan calls for a stadium and retail complex on a 600-acre plot north of the 60 Freeway and west of 57 Freeway. It is scheduled to be completed in 2011.

Semcken said a stadium on flat ground would probably cost about $1.5 billion to build. But Majestic's planners think they can build the stadium for $800 million by installing the complex against a hill, using the ground - and not expensive steel and concrete - to support most of the seats.

"We have a mountain on our site," he said. "We think we can save 75-percent of our cost on steel."

While Los Angeles County's citizens may be skeptical about the proposal, Semcken said things are going very well so far.

"(Stadiums) are such difficult buildings to build and finance," he said. "People might not understand how tough it is, and they blame it on the NFL, when its really a matter of land and economics."

Roski already controls the land, and Industry Mayor Dave Perez said the city is behind the proposal.

The NFL does not want to add an expansion team, so Roski will have to buy a team, or part of a team, and then move the team to his stadium, Semcken said.

After a Web site, www.losangelesfootballstadium.com, went up last week, 2,500 people have put themselves on a list of those interested in buying football tickets, Semcken said.

The site includes a virtual fly-over function that shows a digital presentation of the stadium from an overhead view. It also includes facts about the proposal.

Walnut City Councilman Tom King said a few residents have approached him with concerns about traffic the stadium might cause, especially on Grand Avenue.

Others, he said, were excited about the prospect of a nearby stadium.

"They are going to have to file an Environmental Impact Report and make it public," he said. "I think that is the chance for people to voice their concerns to the city of Industry."
Old August 22nd, 2008, 06:16 AM   #3
saiholmes

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones discusses NFL and L.A.
Dallas Cowboys owner says there are potential ownership changes in the works that could pave the way for a return to the nation's second-largest market.
By Sam Farmer, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
July 29, 2008

Los Angeles has gone 13 years without an NFL franchise, and it seems the league is no closer to putting a club here than it was after the Raiders and Rams left in 1995.

But the way Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones sees it, there are potential ownership changes in the works that could pave the way for a return to the nation's second-largest market.

"We haven't had much movement in ownership," Jones told a small group of reporters Monday after his team's afternoon practice at Oxnard. "I think we might see in the near term some movement in two, possibly three situations. That might start the ball rolling."

Although Jones declined to identify the teams he was referring to, there has been recent talk of NFL owners in St. Louis and Jacksonville selling all or part of their teams. There also could be an ownership change in Pittsburgh, but Jones made it clear he wasn't talking about that situation.

Jones, among a group of owners assigned to study the L.A. situation, dismissed the notion that the situation was stagnant because the league is preoccupied with looming issues with the players' union.

"Don't confuse where we are right now with our labor and some of the other things we're doing," he said. "Don't think that our eye in any way has gotten off the ball about this being timely and major. If we had the opportunity right now and a couple of things came together, we could move on it about as quickly as anything I know in the NFL.

"We've had that much practice thinking about it. It's kind of like we're just waiting for our right pitch."

Other Jones musings:

* On whether Ed Roski could build an $800-million stadium in City of Industry, whereas it's costing the Cowboys $1.2 billion to build one in Arlington, Texas:

"If anybody is qualified to do it and understands the marketplace, it would be Ed. But I know where my costs are, and it's not necessary to have that type of stadium here because of the weather. So I wouldn't want to dismiss it. I would not question him because he understands construction, knows where his costs are specifically to the site, and candidly has a lot more experience building things than I do, period, much less here in California."

* On the NFL's plan to stream NBC's "Sunday Night Football" live on the Internet:

"We think it adds incremental viewers. The history is when Disney has done this and streamed other programs it added viewers. It didn't take away from the existing viewers. That's their experience, and that was impressive to study that."

* On HBO's "Hard Knocks," the documentary series that this summer takes an inside look at Cowboys camp:

"I don't see it changing anything about the way that our players are on the field. But I think you catch yourself realizing that for the last 30 minutes you've been saying something that you shouldn't have said. You look up there and they're rolling. . . . It does make you spend a little time wondering what you've just said and how you've expressed yourself."
Old August 22nd, 2008, 06:33 AM   #4
BEATSLIM

Likes (Received): 0

This stadium is trash. Seriously. Compare this stadium to what is being built or recently finished in the NFL. Not only that it would be extremely difficult to get to on a game day.

Building into a hill? Thats just half assing to get an NFL team asap. Isnt the guy designing this stadium this same person behind Staples Center? Why cut corners on possibly creating another LA icon?

Last edited by BEATSLIM; August 22nd, 2008 at 06:38 AM. Reason: edited because im cool
BEATSLIM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2008, 09:11 AM   #5
Imperfect Ending
Or is it?

Likes (Received): 124

What he said.

But Ugh.. it's just a hole in a hill >=[

Imperfect Ending no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2008, 11:52 AM   #6
milquetoast
L O S A N G E L E S

Likes (Received): 381

Milquetoast hates the ******* NFL development
"I just can't stand this appeasement towards the NFL", says milquetoast, a forumer on the world's authority on all things architectural- SkyScraperCity
posted by milquetoast
August 22, 2008
So Mr. Roski goes to the NFL and woos them with his arena built into the side of a hill...... great!
I'm looking at the "Bird's Nest" in Beijing even as I tap this out, but I have no allusions of duplicating that facility here in Los Angeles. I do wish that people here would invest in the future of this city, the future of its image, and tend to its reputation and its history.
This is an Olympic city. It's not a very big club we're in, but that being said, we're also in a smaller club indeed; that of holding these games more than once. To placate the NFL, an organization that promised so much to a city that had lost both of its teams, to promise multiple Superbowl events in the city to tide us over until the very next team arrives and then ignore us is beyond me.
So Roski shows up with his "city in a hill" proposal and gets a green light.
Big ******* Deal!
The NFL doesn't give a shit about stadiums other than the fact that they have a certain capacity and luxury boxes. They don't care that it's thirty miles out. They don't care that it's half assed. They don't care period. All they care about is that you can stick cameras in it, sell some tickets and make money off of luxury boxes, NFL brand name gear and network fees. They don't care whether a major world city is being held hostage by a design that would have its NFL representation built within a hillside. A 'stadium' that looks like a mid level college development.
Let's talk about L. A.'s history as far as stadiums are concerned. Where did the first Superbowl take place? The first true union of the AFL and the NFL was here. Anyone know where the next one will be played? Tampa! Tampa, Florida. Nice town. This will be their fourth Superbowl, the first one since 2001.
Isn't Florida still underwater?
My point illustrated, the NFL has ignored us at their whim. They enjoy it. They would like nothing better as an arrogant institution to have the world view us as a desperate location that can't decide for itself how it is to be represented. They would like nothing better than to have Los Angeles disappear from the television screens as our name is whored out. Fabulous blimp views of the intersection of the 605 and the Pomona freeway as our new face to the world! Shit! I would actually rather have a stadium in South Park before the City of Industry.
A matter of land and financing?
Well, Exposition Park is a dump I guess but there's land right there! A historic location that could have benefitted from the billionaire philanthropy of the various billionaires in the area. Aren't there a ton of them?
A 600 million dollar stadium! Stadiums aren't considered adults these days until they at least break a billion. A stadium at 600 million is a preteen! 1 billion is the amount that Roski, bless his heart, is supposed to have given the NFL out of his own pocket.
Funny, if he spent that much on a halfway decent stadium at a relevent location he might have gone places. With a little help from his friends we'd have a first class, world class stadium IN Exposition Park or IN Chavez Ravine or IN South Park. I'd even pick Carson over that locale!
Nope, 1 billion goes to landing a team that represents us at a disadvantage, ours, andddddd a paltry 600 million towards the facility! Everything's backwards, and there's nothing we can do about it. People on other webpages think this is a joke also and are frustrated. We're all supposed to just sit back and take it. We can't be looking a gift horse in the mouth now, can we?
Image is important. We're made fun for this all over the country but image is important to them as well. Our city's very persona is being hi-jacked by a few to the delight of the distant. Roski, who was batting 1000 with Staples Center, will now ruin his reputation as well as the city he tried to help.
This is ****** Los Angeles!
WE LOOK GIFT HORSES IN THE MOUTH!
It's what we do, and to building this, we say 'NEIGH-EH-EH'!
Milquetoastimes
milquetoast está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2008, 12:07 PM   #7
Imperfect Ending
Or is it?

Likes (Received): 124

MMMHMM!

Imperfect Ending no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2008, 12:11 PM   #8
milquetoast
L O S A N G E L E S

There ya go, guys! Sam Boyd Stadium, built into a berm. Capacity 40,000.
Look familiar?
Old August 22nd, 2008, 01:12 PM   #9
croyboy

Likes (Received): 46

we need a stadium closer, i've always thought
anouncers will say, "we're live at the los angeles stadium," and the people will see nothing... "NOTHING"

i want people to know we live in a very large megalopolis on the same scale as tokyo, beijing, shanghai, sao paulo brazil, or even new york city.

exposition park is already nearby with a great view that's getting better every day. major upgrades to the stadium and immediate area would be worth every penny and more. plus the history is unbeatable, and you can't beat a cheaper-than-metrolink train ticket straight to the heart of downtown in 5 minutes while hitting staples along the way.

industry is a 40-50 minute train ride with nothing on the way and if you miss your stop and need to go back, it's gonna cost you more than a metro day pass. but you know you're 1/8th of the way to palm springs
croyboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2008, 05:17 PM   #10
PotatoGuy

Likes (Received): 1

This is depressing
Old August 22nd, 2008, 05:47 PM   #11
saiholmes

Coliseum can NOT be renovated to have luxury suites or boxes, which can generate incomes for a professional football team.
Old August 22nd, 2008, 07:50 PM   #12
croyboy

can you explain why it can't be done?
Old August 22nd, 2008, 08:33 PM   #13
klamedia
Silver Lake

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by milquetoast View Post
Milquetoast hates the ******* NFL development
"I just can't stand this appeasement towards the NFL", says milquetoast, a forumer on the world's authority on all things architectural- SkyScraperCity
posted by milquetoast
August 22, 2008
So Mr. Roski goes to the NFL and woos them with his arena built into the side of a hill...... great!
I'm looking at the "Bird's Nest" in Beijing even as I tap this out, but I have no allusions of duplicating that facility here in Los Angeles. I do wish that people here would invest in the future of this city, the future of its image, and tend to its reputation and its history.
This is an Olympic city. It's not a very big club we're in, but that being said, we're also in a smaller club indeed; that of holding these games more than once. To placate the NFL, an organization that promised so much to a city that had lost both of its teams, to promise multiple Superbowl events in the city to tide us over until the very next team arrives and then ignore us is beyond me.
So Roski shows up with his "city in a hill" proposal and gets a green light.
Big ******* Deal!
The NFL doesn't give a shit about stadiums other than the fact that they have a certain capacity and luxury boxes. They don't care that it's thirty miles out. They don't care that it's half assed. They don't care period. All they care about is that you can stick cameras in it, sell some tickets and make money off of luxury boxes, NFL brand name gear and network fees. They don't care whether a major world city is being held hostage by a design that would have its NFL representation built within a hillside. A 'stadium' that looks like a mid level college development.
Let's talk about L. A.'s history as far as stadiums are concerned. Where did the first Superbowl take place? The first true union of the AFL and the NFL was here. Anyone know where the next one will be played? Tampa! Tampa, Florida. Nice town. This will be their fourth Superbowl, the first one since 2001.
Isn't Florida still underwater?
My point illustrated, the NFL has ignored us at their whim. They enjoy it. They would like nothing better as an arrogant institution to have the world view us as a desperate location that can't decide for itself how it is to be represented. They would like nothing better than to have Los Angeles disappear from the television screens as our name is whored out. Fabulous blimp views of the intersection of the 605 and the Pomona freeway as our new face to the world! Shit! I would actually rather have a stadium in South Park before the City of Industry.
A matter of land and financing?
Well, Exposition Park is a dump I guess but there's land right there! A historic location that could have benefitted from the billionaire philanthropy of the various billionaires in the area. Aren't there a ton of them?
A 600 million dollar stadium! Stadiums aren't considered adults these days until they at least break a billion. A stadium at 600 million is a preteen! 1 billion is the amount that Roski, bless his heart, is supposed to have given the NFL out of his own pocket.
Funny, if he spent that much on a halfway decent stadium at a relevent location he might have gone places. With a little help from his friends we'd have a first class, world class stadium IN Exposition Park or IN Chavez Ravine or IN South Park. I'd even pick Carson over that locale!
Nope, 1 billion goes to landing a team that represents us at a disadvantage, ours, andddddd a paltry 600 million towards the facility! Everything's backwards, and there's nothing we can do about it. People on other webpages think this is a joke also and are frustrated. We're all supposed to just sit back and take it. We can't be looking a gift horse in the mouth now, can we?
Image is important. We're made fun for this all over the country but image is important to them as well. Our city's very persona is being hi-jacked by a few to the delight of the distant. Roski, who was batting 1000 with Staples Center, will now ruin his reputation as well as the city he tried to help.
This is ****** Los Angeles!
WE LOOK GIFT HORSES IN THE MOUTH!
It's what we do, and to building this, we say 'NEIGH-EH-EH'!
Milquetoastimes
The CITY OF LOS ANGELES already has world renowned stadiums in The Coliseum and Dodgers. Why beat yourself up about a stadium that isn't in the City Of LA and is way out in god awful Industry? Do you bemoan the fact that the Home Depot center is in Carson? Do you feel that when people see that stadium that they judge the City of LA? Do people judge New York City by Giants Stadium in NJ????? If this was being built within the city limits then yes I would be concerned but this is in another city and Villar and the city council of LA and us as the citizens of the city have no say so over what the City Of Industry wants to do with itself. All of this hemming and hawing about what the outside world will think about LA reveals a deep insecurity that is unwarranted when we have NOT ONE BUT TWO world acclaimed stadiums just a few miles from one another. Get over it!!
klamedia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2008, 08:41 PM   #14
klamedia
Silver Lake

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by croyboy View Post
i want people to know we live in a very large megalopolis on the same scale as tokyo, beijing, shanghai, sao paulo brazil, or even new york city.
Uh......everybody knows that LA is a monster.....in fact that's why some are turned off about this place it just seems too big. The talk about flying into LA and seeing the endless lights of a metropolis that doesn't seem to end is legendary. Part of the problem with people viewing LA as all sprawl is that they and neither you make a clear distinction between Los Angeles and the rest of the metropolis. Believe me, NJ may be in NYC's metro area but NYC defitnetly never takes credit nor criticism for what NJ does.......why should it and why should Los Angeles take it under the chin for a city that has its own mayor, city council and residents. I never feel responsible for what Orange County does like stupidly naming its airport after John Wayne.
klamedia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2008, 09:16 PM   #15
GilbyDM101

Likes (Received): 0

I'm going to have to agree with what klamedia is saying. People need to calm down.
GilbyDM101 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2008, 10:04 PM   #16
croyboy

you're probably, mostly right klamedia. i'd have to admit i'm a little worried for los angeles. my reasons due to the endless list of broken promises.

i know, boo hoo... i support the NFL coming over here, and it's a little much for a begger to be a chooser.

but jersey is not 30 miles from nyc and if anyone knows anything about walnut or diamond bar, it's that their communities are super-super anti-development.

if it was legal and they had all the money in the world, they would kick every single person out of los angeles and make it their wilderness (not joking, you should go to their city council meetings). my point being that if anyone is going to waste this guys money trying to build the stadium just to have this proposal defeated, it's them. and they're likely to do it. better spent elsewhere, sir
Old August 23rd, 2008, 05:31 AM   #17
saiholmes

The project is located at City of Industry, not walnut or diamond bar. They are not able to do anything for it.
Old August 23rd, 2008, 05:35 AM   #18
saiholmes

Quote:
Originally Posted by croyboy View Post
can you explain why it can't be done?
historical problem.
Old August 23rd, 2008, 06:02 AM   #19
VZN
Caleuphoria

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by klamedia View Post
The CITY OF LOS ANGELES already has world renowned stadiums in The Coliseum and Dodgers. Why beat yourself up about a stadium that isn't in the City Of LA and is way out in god awful Industry? Do you bemoan the fact that the Home Depot center is in Carson? Do you feel that when people see that stadium that they judge the City of LA? Do people judge New York City by Giants Stadium in NJ????? If this was being built within the city limits then yes I would be concerned but this is in another city and Villar and the city council of LA and us as the citizens of the city have no say so over what the City Of Industry wants to do with itself. All of this hemming and hawing about what the outside world will think about LA reveals a deep insecurity that is unwarranted when we have NOT ONE BUT TWO world acclaimed stadiums just a few miles from one another. Get over it!!
I still think this whole development is bullshit. Call it what you want and take it how you want to.
VZN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2008, 06:02 AM   #20
milquetoast
L O S A N G E L E S

There was a time when big things, distinctive things, were built here.
A really serious proposal for a stadium that can handle your average football game, or soccer game, or Olympic event if need be, is the kind of decision big cities come across from time to time- because these facilities are meeting areas where certain quantities of citizenry can congregate. For the reason of sports, usually. Not exclusively.
A somewhat permanent facility is needed in this market simply because the older, grander ones are outdated. The settings I have no problem with. There is nothing grander or more beautiful than an aerial shot of Pasadena. As a location it is great for college, but not NFL events anymore. The Coliseum is historic, but in its current condition the required "luxury boxes" cannot be added because the structure would have to be altered in too drastic a fashion I guess. I woud rid the area of the structure not including the peristyle, which I would incorporate into the newer stadium. NFL asses say no to the location so, City of Industry here we come!
Yes, I do bemoan New York for inserting its name into other areas.
Orange County International Airport chose John Wayne because he had his boat (The Wild Goose) in a slip there in Newport, and he was the most prominent resident of the area. Maybe shit will get done when they name ours Jimmy Stewart?
Being calm is what gets our city nowhere and if you look around, no one else is at rest.

Last edited by milquetoast; February 27th, 2009 at 11:09 AM.