daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Fun Forums > Creative Corner > The Drawing Board > Sim City

Sim City Discussions and showcase

Old January 19th, 2004, 07:19 PM   #1
ZuluKingOfTheDwarfPeople

Likes (Received): 0

Need Help...

Need help building a metropolis. My friend told me that the best way is to have one city all residential, another one all industrial and the last one all commercial and have them all connected to eachother. I tried this two times but when I did, the industrial city had no demand for industries, besides farms, the commercial one had absolutely no demand for commerce, and due to all that mess, the residential city was almost completely unemployed. Does anybody know some basic steps into doing this?
ZuluKingOfTheDwarfPeople no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old January 19th, 2004, 08:48 PM   #2
LSyd
Megalomaniac

Likes (Received): 305

i've never tried that approach, although i know some on here have, and say it works well (Nick Taylor.)

i isolated what industrial there was, and then had mixed areas of residential and commercial, plenty of mass transit, and the border of sattelite cities should be mostly residential, while the border of the "central city" should be commercial. add lots of parks and landmarks, too, and keep building. and lower taxes, especially commercial taxes.

-

- gleegieboy
LSyd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2004, 06:49 AM   #3
ZuluKingOfTheDwarfPeople

Likes (Received): 0

bah, I'd go into debt before any real progress comes out of that since I already started but thanks anyways...
ZuluKingOfTheDwarfPeople no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2004, 10:44 PM   #4
LSyd
Megalomaniac

Likes (Received): 305

you can always start over...

-

- gleegieboy
LSyd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2004, 12:42 AM   #5
Hacksaw

Likes (Received): 11

If you dont want any farms, then just raise the taxes to 20. If this metropolis is far away from other cities, you won't need to build much commercial till your population hits around 20 000. Don't build landmarks etc at the start... focus on low and middle wealth residential. Do neighbour deals with power and water etc. What you should do in the beginning is start your commercial population in the residential area. Later on to speed things up you could download the landmarks that have jobs in them to increase residential demand but that might be considered cheating. I've tried this (with and without the landmarks) and it worked both times.
Hacksaw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2004, 03:04 AM   #6
Sy
Bada Bing!

Likes (Received): 66

What is the best sized grid? I use 4x4 can you get bigger builds grow?
Old January 21st, 2004, 03:05 AM   #7
Style™
King of the Queen

Likes (Received): 3

Don't you have to zone for farms anyways?

Use one level up zoning.
Old January 21st, 2004, 08:30 PM   #8
Fabio
Go Habs! Go!

Likes (Received): 11

Re: Need Help...

Quote:
Originally posted by ZuluKingOfTheDwarfPeople

Need help building a metropolis. My friend told me that the best way is to have one city all residential, another one all industrial and the last one all commercial and have them all connected to eachother. I tried this two times but when I did, the industrial city had no demand for industries, besides farms, the commercial one had absolutely no demand for commerce, and due to all that mess, the residential city was almost completely unemployed. Does anybody know some basic steps into doing this?
Yes it work pretty well, the thing is, you have to:

1 - First: create some farms and residencial areas on your residencial city, then, let the time pass, so you can make some money and the education of you sims will increase, it may take some few years.

2 - Second:demolish all the farms play the game for some two or four days, and then go to a new city and build some industrial zones and in other city you commercial zone, play the cities and wait until the demand is 0.

3 - third - go back to you residencial city, when you start to play you may loose some pop. , but that's no problem, wait some time and they will find their new jobs which will pay better and so they will start to get richier and build better houses and towers (but remenber you have to wait untill their education get increased) you may loose some pop and even some constructions during the transitin period, but what will come next, I'm sure gonna like it.

Fabio no está en línea   Reply With Quote